Unpopular Movie Opinions

JGPLX.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didja know Agneepath's a remake of Amitabh's Agneepath? Shah Rukh Khan was also an antihero in Baazigar, which a lot of his fans say was the first movie to have an antihero. Too bad Hrithik died in the end though. :<

I disagree, I think Rishi was much better, but I'm still in awe at how he could go from a lovable chubby father to an evil piece of shit person. Sanjay was no doubt brilliant though.

I'd recommend you watching his old movies in the late 60s and throughout the 70s, as well as early 80s. He's known for his action roles and persona as an angry young man, but he showed versatility with Saudagar, a completely different genre. And if you liked his later movies, watch Aarakshan (with Saif Ali Khan and Deepika). I thought it was brilliant film with its theme.

Yeah, I read about the original Agneepath and there was shared criticism over Amitabh's experimentation of a new voice a la Brando's Godfather voice. I kind of knew he was going to pass away near the end since he did say that "I'll die in peace" response to when somebody asked him what killing all of his rivals would have meant to him.

The transition was awesome, you couldn't find it odd or out-of-place since it felt believable in relation to how Rishi was ascending. I just found Kapoor to be a great villain whereas Sanjay was a terrifying villain. You're probs right about Rishi being better but Sanjay really was the type of antagonist that would make me shit in my pants in the remake.

I may actually search around for his older movies. He seems to have a great filmography from the looks of it due to how he is hailed in Bollywood cinema as the king, best-of-the-best and so on. Saif Ali Khan's a bit of an underrated actor if you ask me, he is able to play the hero/villain role pretty well. Deepika's a brilliant woman for directors that need a woman that can take our breaths away. I almost find her as hot as Aishwarya.

The original Agneepath or the new one?

True, Sanjay was scary as *Censored* while Rishi was just that evil bastard you wanted to stab repeatedly.

He does. To be honest though, I didn't like his films in mid to late 80s, though I've watched clips for most of them. Zanjeer, Deewaar, Sholay, and possibly Don are his most acclaimed, popular, adn widely accepted, loved, and praised movies. Zanjeer was the start of the angry young man, while Amitabh was for Deewaar what Brando was for Godfather. Sholay is considered one of the best masala flicks and rightfully considered one of the best. I loved the music score and editing, especially since I"m used to the over the top fighting scenes Bollywood loves to put out.

Not sure about Saif Ali Khan though. He started being respected and recognized after Dil Chahta Hai. Many say he was bad in the 90s, but I think he was for the most part typecast. He was the bumbling idiot in Main Khiladi Tu Anari, a complement to the serious, action style of Akshay Kumar, and he was mostly the same in Keemat. He has improved so much though. I personally find Deepika to be more beautiful than Aish with a killer smile.

I really enjoyed Gangster Squad.

Sorry to hear that, bro.

Kill The Irishman is a pretty good straight to DVD gangster flick. It's not great and I feel at times it moves way too fast, but it's okay.

King Of New York is a shitload better than New Jack City.

Speaking of New Jack City, overrated as fuq.

Paid In Full is one of the best urban gangster/crime films in like ever..Seriously.

Didja know Agneepath's a remake of Amitabh's Agneepath? Shah Rukh Khan was also an antihero in Baazigar, which a lot of his fans say was the first movie to have an antihero. Too bad Hrithik died in the end though. :<

I disagree, I think Rishi was much better, but I'm still in awe at how he could go from a lovable chubby father to an evil piece of shit person. Sanjay was no doubt brilliant though.

I'd recommend you watching his old movies in the late 60s and throughout the 70s, as well as early 80s. He's known for his action roles and persona as an angry young man, but he showed versatility with Saudagar, a completely different genre. And if you liked his later movies, watch Aarakshan (with Saif Ali Khan and Deepika). I thought it was brilliant film with its theme.

Yeah, I read about the original Agneepath and there was shared criticism over Amitabh's experimentation of a new voice a la Brando's Godfather voice. I kind of knew he was going to pass away near the end since he did say that "I'll die in peace" response to when somebody asked him what killing all of his rivals would have meant to him.

The transition was awesome, you couldn't find it odd or out-of-place since it felt believable in relation to how Rishi was ascending. I just found Kapoor to be a great villain whereas Sanjay was a terrifying villain. You're probs right about Rishi being better but Sanjay really was the type of antagonist that would make me shit in my pants in the remake.

I may actually search around for his older movies. He seems to have a great filmography from the looks of it due to how he is hailed in Bollywood cinema as the king, best-of-the-best and so on. Saif Ali Khan's a bit of an underrated actor if you ask me, he is able to play the hero/villain role pretty well. Deepika's a brilliant woman for directors that need a woman that can take our breaths away. I almost find her as hot as Aishwarya.

The original Agneepath or the new one?

True, Sanjay was scary as *Censored* while Rishi was just that evil bastard you wanted to stab repeatedly.

He does. To be honest though, I didn't like his films in mid to late 80s, though I've watched clips for most of them. Zanjeer, Deewaar, Sholay, and possibly Don are his most acclaimed, popular, adn widely accepted, loved, and praised movies. Zanjeer was the start of the angry young man, while Amitabh was for Deewaar what Brando was for Godfather. Sholay is considered one of the best masala flicks and rightfully considered one of the best. I loved the music score and editing, especially since I"m used to the over the top fighting scenes Bollywood loves to put out.

Not sure about Saif Ali Khan though. He started being respected and recognized after Dil Chahta Hai. Many say he was bad in the 90s, but I think he was for the most part typecast. He was the bumbling idiot in Main Khiladi Tu Anari, a complement to the serious, action style of Akshay Kumar, and he was mostly the same in Keemat. He has improved so much though. I personally find Deepika to be more beautiful than Aish with a killer smile.

I knew about Hrithik in the new Agneepath. In regard to the Marlon Brando comparison, I was talking about the original (but that seems obv anyway).

Yeah, they were brilliant villains, tbh. This was a remake but you could tell that they wanted to make it completely original. I respect that; movies that can tread on new paths although they are rejuvenating a classic series. Amazing Spider-Man could have done that but I think they also would have found it quite difficult to make it different to Raimi's.

I've seen a little of his older movies but I can't remember them perfectly hence why I claim I haven't genuinely watched his movies from when he was much younger. I do know that over-the-top action set-pieces are in a couple, though, but yeah; he probably has the best filmography of any Bollywood actor in terms of reviews? SRK comes close but I'm sure there were a couple of movies he acted in which didn't fare nearly as well as his stellar performances.

I say Saif Ali's a bit underrated because he's not actually a bad actor. He doesn't show great conviction in his acting but from the story of Race 2; you could tell that if he played out as a villain, he would be able to play it with flair and flamboyancy. If he plays an innocent hero; he can also play it pretty well.

I never recognised Deepika's beauty until Race 2 (esp. the scenes where she wore pink lipstick). I don't want to rate her over Aish yet because I remember being equally captivated by Aish in Pink Panther 2 (although she did try a little hard to make her accent sound Americanised).

Btw, have you watched English Vinglish? I watched it yesterday, Amitabh features in it. Great movie for people that value their parents heavily. Convincing performances, simple story and not too many songs. I kind of dislike Bollywood cinema because of the bombardment of dance music/songs in scenes where they aren't really needed.

I don't think the fantastic 4 will ever make a good super hero movie. Doom is one of the biggest bad-asses for a comic book villain, on the other hand Ben and Johnny are bad-ass but not as bad-ass as Doom, and Sue and Mr. Fantastic are just lame.

Very much agreed. I love the good Doctor, that much is well documented. I'd really enjoy seeing a movie about Doom's origins from his perspective. As you may know, Victor views himself as the "good guy" at least to an extent and justifies his atrocities as having a greater good (in his own mind) type of effect. I don't think Hollywood would ever invest in portraying a Super Villain as the main protaganist, but I honestly think it could work well in today's market. Afterall, look at the success of Breaking Bad. I definitely think that some audiences are ready for not just flawed protaganists but a comic book villain as the main character. But I don't know if all audiences are on board. I think much of the overseas market might be confused as hell and not really sold on Doc Doom as the main character of a big budget summer blockbuster. But I know that I would mark the *Censored* out if anyone ever made that film! I know that a big, stupid, orange, rock monster's days of Clobberin' Time would abrubtly come to a brutal end if I were in charge of said script.

^ Maybe. I just don't really like the Fantastic 4 as characters much. I always rooted for Doom in those comics.

Reed is such a snobby prick and he looks like he should be in a Just For Men, Touch of Gray advertisment.

Sue is kind of a hollow character too... though Jess Alba filled out that body suit nicely, that was one of the only good aspects of the Fan 4 films.

Human Torch is cocky and annoying and the Thing is just dumb.

I know the 4 get such acclaim for being part of Stan's early work, but I just never loved those characters like I loved the Avengers or Spidey, Hulk, or the X-Men, or many of the villains, especially Doom.

Maybe because they aren't nearly as effective as the other superhero characters you mentioned in a relatable sense. I could relate to Peter Parker, Wolverine from the X-Men and also The Hulk from Avengers Assemble (Ruffalo played his part really well) but like you said; The Human Torch is annoying and cocky. Can't relate with him.

I believe Jess Alba was used to help generate sales. After all, they do need a pretty face in order to attract enough potential viewers. Who do you think could have played the role of Sue better?

Maybe because they aren't nearly as effective as the other superhero characters you mentioned in a relatable sense. I could relate to Peter Parker, Wolverine from the X-Men and also The Hulk from Avengers Assemble (Ruffalo played his part really well) but like you said; The Human Torch is annoying and cocky. Can't relate with him.

I believe Jess Alba was used to help generate sales. After all, they do need a pretty face in order to attract enough potential viewers. Who do you think could have played the role of Sue better?

Rebecca Romijn? (Had to google the spelling) Or someone who's actually blonde and also have Johnny Storm & Sue storm look at least related.

Yeah the only decent thing about the Fantastic 4 sequel was the Silver Surfer.

The actors for the most part were poor, didn't mind Michael Chiklis, but the worst one for me was that moron Chris Evans (who I've got a big disliking for), pretty much turning the Human Torch into a whiny b**ch (though the character did start off as a baddie in the comics). Yeah, that's probably why I never will like the newer Captain America films (stupid reason I know, but I remember having a chat with someone who worked as an extra in the film and saying he was an egotistical pr*ck).

I knew about Hrithik in the new Agneepath. In regard to the Marlon Brando comparison, I was talking about the original (but that seems obv anyway).

Yeah, they were brilliant villains, tbh. This was a remake but you could tell that they wanted to make it completely original. I respect that; movies that can tread on new paths although they are rejuvenating a classic series. Amazing Spider-Man could have done that but I think they also would have found it quite difficult to make it different to Raimi's.

Oh, I haven't seen the original. :s

Remakes should still be rare though. The remake of Don shouldn't have been done, at least not with SRK as the main character. He just isn't as cool or badass as Amitabh to pull that off. I think someone like Akshay could have done the role better. Then you have some remakes that are good, like Ocean's 11.

I've seen a little of his older movies but I can't remember them perfectly hence why I claim I haven't genuinely watched his movies from when he was much younger. I do know that over-the-top action set-pieces are in a couple, though, but yeah; he probably has the best filmography of any Bollywood actor in terms of reviews? SRK comes close but I'm sure there were a couple of movies he acted in which didn't fare nearly as well as his stellar performances.

Not entirely sure in regards to reviews, but he has some of the best movies in terms of quality. But those are my recommendations for Amitabh movies that you should watch, and even Bollywood as whole.

There were a lot of movies of his. SRK is overrated though, he's not as good or charming as people make him out to be. But Swades is arguably one of his best films.

I say Saif Ali's a bit underrated because he's not actually a bad actor. He doesn't show great conviction in his acting but from the story of Race 2; you could tell that if he played out as a villain, he would be able to play it with flair and flamboyancy. If he plays an innocent hero; he can also play it pretty well.

I dunno, but he did a pretty good job in Omkara. He's definitely improved a lot acting-wise from the 90s to Dil Chahta Hai and after that he's finally recognized as a great actor. I'm not sure if he can do innocent hero though, or if that's possible nowadays. :x

I never recognised Deepika's beauty until Race 2 (esp. the scenes where she wore pink lipstick). I don't want to rate her over Aish yet because I remember being equally captivated by Aish in Pink Panther 2 (although she did try a little hard to make her accent sound Americanised).

Hmph, your loss for being so late here. Always thought she was beautiful with a great smile and dimples since her first movie. Aish is no doubt beautiful, though. There are a lot of beautiful actresses, like Madhuri, Sridevi, and the late Divya Bharti. Would prefer them over Aish, honestly, which is not a bad thing for Aish though. Have you seen Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam or whatever? She's mindblowingly beautiful.

Btw, have you watched English Vinglish? I watched it yesterday, Amitabh features in it. Great movie for people that value their parents heavily. Convincing performances, simple story and not too many songs. I kind of dislike Bollywood cinema because of the bombardment of dance music/songs in scenes where they aren't really needed.

I have. Apart from makin the black lady cashier from looking like a bitch and the whole rhyme song, I thought it was a good movie, and likely realistic for many immigrants/visitors. Amitabh makes a guest appearance for a scene, though I kinda found him funny. Also gives you a better appreciation for immigrant parents who work hard to make a living for their kids.

I know what you mean. It's usually good to skip songs, although some like Gazar Hai Kya or whatever song from Tridev tend to have some important stuff, like the three heroes breaking out of jail while their love interests are singing for the bad guys.

But some songs are pretty good, like Tu CHeez Badi Hai from Mohra. YouTube it, it's catchy and was a hit back in the day, apparently. I remember when I was like, 5-7 and first heard it, I liked it.

Oh, I haven't seen the original. :s

Remakes should still be rare though. The remake of Don shouldn't have been done, at least not with SRK as the main character. He just isn't as cool or badass as Amitabh to pull that off. I think someone like Akshay could have done the role better. Then you have some remakes that are good, like Ocean's 11.

Not entirely sure in regards to reviews, but he has some of the best movies in terms of quality. But those are my recommendations for Amitabh movies that you should watch, and even Bollywood as whole.

There were a lot of movies of his. SRK is overrated though, he's not as good or charming as people make him out to be. But Swades is arguably one of his best films.

I dunno, but he did a pretty good job in Omkara. He's definitely improved a lot acting-wise from the 90s to Dil Chahta Hai and after that he's finally recognized as a great actor. I'm not sure if he can do innocent hero though, or if that's possible nowadays. :x

Hmph, your loss for being so late here. Always thought she was beautiful with a great smile and dimples since her first movie. Aish is no doubt beautiful, though. There are a lot of beautiful actresses, like Madhuri, Sridevi, and the late Divya Bharti. Would prefer them over Aish, honestly, which is not a bad thing for Aish though. Have you seen Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam or whatever? She's mindblowingly beautiful.

I have. Apart from makin the black lady cashier from looking like a bitch and the whole rhyme song, I thought it was a good movie, and likely realistic for many immigrants/visitors. Amitabh makes a guest appearance for a scene, though I kinda found him funny. Also gives you a better appreciation for immigrant parents who work hard to make a living for their kids.

I know what you mean. It's usually good to skip songs, although some like Gazar Hai Kya or whatever song from Tridev tend to have some important stuff, like the three heroes breaking out of jail while their love interests are singing for the bad guys.

But some songs are pretty good, like Tu CHeez Badi Hai from Mohra. YouTube it, it's catchy and was a hit back in the day, apparently. I remember when I was like, 5-7 and first heard it, I liked it.

Comment 1: I liked Don! The remake anyway (since I haven't seen the original). I kind of agree that SRK wasn't as cool or smooth as he needed to be to pull it off but his acting ability, somehow, made it work. Also, I think the movie was saved by the plot-twists. If it were not for the movie taking me by surprise near the end; I would have had a more negative perspective of it. Akshay has proven to be great as a serious character (e.g. Aankhen).

Comment 2: I think it's because Bollywood fans feel that they need a 'greatest contemporary actor' right now and they believe that SRK, more or less, fits the bill (since Amitabh is only playing in bit-part roles nowadays.

Comment 3: He can. He just needs to act in a movie as one to prove it but from his performances; I know he can.

Comment 4: Deepika's brilliant, no doubt. I was kind of happy that she wasn't wastefully used in Race 2 and they had made a romance storyline between her and Saif Ali because I would've otherwise said: "That's a great waste of beauty."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0TVFKupPig

Aish looks particularly great here too. Haha, nah, I've only started watching Bollywood movies a week ago. I used to watch them growing up (since my mum is a big fan of them) but then I stopped as I matured because I obviously had my own interests as to what I like watching. Also, the whole over-the-top nature of some Bollywood movies threw me off (hence why I was on Chips' side the other time). However, these movies I've been mentioning to you now give me a different viewpoint of how Bollywood movies can be.

Comment 5: I did feel like she was a bit too b*tchy but, in reality, they needed a scene like that to really touch our hearts on how some people treat a person that does not know much English.

No, I like meaningful songs, no doubt. I just believe that a lot of unneeded ones are often misplaced in movies and kind of take away from the whole flow of the narrative. The story may be going swell and then, "bam! Song comes in". At times, it can help to make the movie nicer but at times; it can also kill the pacing.

I used to like Bole Churiya from Kabhi Khushi Khabhi Gham. Used to sing it. I even liked the songs from Mohabbatein (that's what it's called, right?)

Btw, have you watched Barfi? My mum recorded it but I have yet to watch all of it. Only watched a bit and kinda' like it so far. Received great reviews across-the-board too.

Chips: LOL, if there is a Bollywood thread made; it'd only be us two interacting. I don't see anybody else talking about what Indian movies they like. :D

Comment 1: I liked Don! The remake anyway (since I haven't seen the original). I kind of agree that SRK wasn't as cool or smooth as he needed to be to pull it off but his acting ability, somehow, made it work. Also, I think the movie was saved by the plot-twists. If it were not for the movie taking me by surprise near the end; I would have had a more negative perspective of it. Akshay has proven to be great as a serious character (e.g. Aankhen).

One good thing about the remake was that it was different from the original, it had a good twist. And the sexy cars, but that's kinda it. SRK's acting didn't impress me much, just the same old thing, but I don't like SRK.

I agree, he's shown that he can be quite versatile, whether as a serious actor, romantic, comedic, or action. Though, Akshay's movies do sadly tend to be kind of bad to pretty bad, like Housefull 2, which was a hit over Patiala House, a better film.

Comment 2: I think it's because Bollywood fans feel that they need a 'greatest contemporary actor' right now and they believe that SRK, more or less, fits the bill (since Amitabh is only playing in bit-part roles nowadays.

I don't think that's it, to be honest. Aamir Khan is arguably a better actor, and Ranbir has shown great skills in acting. I think it's more because of Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge than anything else, with SRK playing mostly romantic roles and all. Meh.

Comment 4: Deepika's brilliant, no doubt. I was kind of happy that she wasn't wastefully used in Race 2 and they had made a romance storyline between her and Saif Ali because I would've otherwise said: "That's a great waste of beauty."

Given the subpar quality of Race 2, I'm kinda scared to see how Race 3 will be. I certainly don't want Amisha Patel or her character in the movie, it was just so stupid. Made me go from neutral to disliking her.

Aish looks particularly great here too. Haha, nah, I've only started watching Bollywood movies a week ago. I used to watch them growing up (since my mum is a big fan of them) but then I stopped as I matured because I obviously had my own interests as to what I like watching. Also, the whole over-the-top nature of some Bollywood movies threw me off (hence why I was on Chips' side the other time). However, these movies I've been mentioning to you now give me a different viewpoint of how Bollywood movies can be.

She's always been beautiful. I thought she looked good in the song, Zor Ka Jhatka or something from Action Replayy, which is a bad movie in my opinion. There is a lot of over-the-top nature with Bollywood movies (though many recent movies are actually good and not like that anymore), but many movies in my opinion are still worth it. Ranbir Kapoor has a lot of great movies out there, like Raajneeti (homage to the Godfather).

Comment 5: I did feel like she was a bit too b*tchy but, in reality, they needed a scene like that to really touch our hearts on how some people treat a person that does not know much English.

Could have done it with a normal person though, rather than a cashier. I don't think cashiers would act like that, considering they'd get in trouble for bein rude to customers.

No, I like meaningful songs, no doubt. I just believe that a lot of unneeded ones are often misplaced in movies and kind of take away from the whole flow of the narrative. The story may be going swell and then, "bam! Song comes in". At times, it can help to make the movie nicer but at times; it can also kill the pacing.

I used to like Bole Churiya from Kabhi Khushi Khabhi Gham. Used to sing it. I even liked the songs from Mohabbatein (that's what it's called, right?)

Btw, have you watched Barfi? My mum recorded it but I have yet to watch all of it. Only watched a bit and kinda' like it so far. Received great reviews across-the-board too.

Chips: LOL, if there is a Bollywood thread made; it'd only be us two interacting. I don't see anybody else talking about what Indian movies they like. :D

Yeah, there are a lot of meaningless or unneeded songs shoved in unceremoniously, but I guess it makes sense since songs are the main selling points of Hindi movies. Take Amitabh's Don for example: if it weren't for Khaike Paan Banaras (which was added in at the last second on an advice of an experienced director) then I doubt the movie itself would have done as well as it did. According to Wikipedia, it barely got any viewers until people spread the word about Khaike Paan Banaras.

Yeah, it's Mohabbatein. The one with Amitabh, Aish, SRK, and three other young actors and actresses.

I watched Barfi, and I thought it was pretty good. Priyanka and Ranbir did amazing, though I didn't like who Ranbir ended up with. D:

Archived