Unpopular Movie Opinions

JGPLX.

With the exception of recent Star Trek movie, I find the series itself to be a major eyesore.

Plus, mother*censored*ing lightsabers. How can you NOT like lightsabers?

I'm a little intruiged by the original series. I love the look of 60s media. I grew up watching old Planet of the Apes films and Adam West Batman, so I always get warm feeling about that look. From what I've seen TNG doesn't visually hold up well today, but I'm sure in its day it looked pretty nice.

I'm talking way too much about Star Wars and Star Trek. I don't even know anything about Star Trek, I just have a big interest in it as of late. I feel guilty about talking about it. I feel like Trekkies hate me for having opinions on the visuals of something I've never watched. I'm sorry, Trekkies! I'm gonna have to watch the movies.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really with people on here. A lot of people dig the prequels on here and that's fine. I'm just not one of them.

Love the original trilogy though. They're my favorite movies. Could talk about how much they mean to me for days. Know way too much useless information about Star Wars in general.

Star Wars expanded universe>Star Wars 7 films (since Clone wars IS canon)

Not really with people on here. A lot of people dig the prequels on here and that's fine. I'm just not one of them.

Love the original trilogy though. They're my favorite movies. Could talk about how much they mean to me for days. Know way too much useless information about Star Wars in general.

Thing I don't like about the Expanded Universe is that it just seems to be about the events to the fans. Oh hey, Chewbacca died, Boba Fett lived, etc. But there's nothing compelling about that. Because most Expanded Universe is just mindless fan service pandering to the people who want grimdark Star Wars. The Expanded Universe is rarely any fun. It's just relentless at times. Star Wars was always fun from the start.

Also the direction they go at times just kind of baffles me. Luke having a clone named Luuke (Luuke! For christ sake), Emporer Palpatine's spirit jumping from clone to clone, IG-88 being in control of the second Death Star the whole time, Yuuzhan Vong in general. They all are just, to put it bluntly, stupid.

Part of the trouble is that none of these writers are aloud to contradict eachother, so they are very limited. So writers are forced to compromise to make their work canon rather than doing what's best for the story. Expanded Universe should consist of muliple different unverses in my eyes. Why does the guy who got to write about a timeline first get to have his story be canon when there's a guy out there writing a story that's way better?

I'm sure there are EU works that capture the spirit that makes Star Wara great, but most of it is just not for me.

Thing I don't like about the Expanded Universe is that it just seems to be about the events to the fans. Oh hey, Chewbacca died, Boba Fett lived, etc. But there's nothing compelling about that. Because most Expanded Universe is just mindless fan service pandering to the people who want grimdark Star Wars. The Expanded Universe is rarely any fun. It's just relentless at times. Star Wars was always fun from the start.

Also the direction they go at times just kind of baffles me. Luke having a clone named Luuke (Luuke! For christ sake), Emporer Palpatine's spirit jumping from clone to clone, IG-88 being in control of the second Death Star the whole time, Yuuzhan Vong in general. They all are just, to put it bluntly, stupid.

Part of the trouble is that none of these writers are aloud to contradict eachother, so they are very limited. So writers are forced to compromise to make their work canon rather than doing what's best for the story. Expanded Universe should consist of muliple different unverses in my eyes. Why does the guy who got to write about a timeline first get to have his story be canon when there's a guy out there writing a story that's way better?

I'm sure there are EU works that capture the spirit that makes Star Wara great, but most of it is just not for me.

No doubt. For me I take the E/U (including the games) and the movies as being canon, where as my wife only acknowledges the movies since a lot of stuff that happens in the books are either stupid (as you mentioned, and I agree) or just VERY very much a stretch in patience.

Things like ''Shatterpoint'' were a cool side story with Mace, and gave a WAY more serious nature to his character, since people make him out to be a joke due to Jacksons portrayal and parodies etc. And it really gave focus on the idea of the shatterpoint ''power'' and everything.

But

One of the BIGGEST negatives (the way my wife see's it at least), is Force Unleashed, Galen Marek, who is an INSANELY awesome force wielder, being the one that spear headed the rebellion rather than Leia and her crew, made my wife shit a brick in anger. Thus why she ignores the E/U as a whole.

I don't know much about the Expanded Universe but It's something I want to start learning about, I read somewhere about a Ben Skywalker and Anakin Solo which sound interesting.

Do you think The next Trilogy will work with Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher potentially returning to play Luke, Han and Leia?

I don't know much about the Expanded Universe but It's something I want to start learning about, I read somewhere about a Ben Skywalker and Anakin Solo which sound interesting.

Do you think The next Trilogy will work with Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher potentially returning to play Luke, Han and Leia?

I think they will. Just to bridge the gap. I don't see them having a major role though. I mean Luke's son most likely be the protagonist since it's always been about the Skywalkers. Or maybe Han or Leia's kid, since randomly introducing the fact that Luke fell in love with someone off screen may not work.

No doubt. For me I take the E/U (including the games) and the movies as being canon, where as my wife only acknowledges the movies since a lot of stuff that happens in the books are either stupid (as you mentioned, and I agree) or just VERY very much a stretch in patience.

Things like ''Shatterpoint'' were a cool side story with Mace, and gave a WAY more serious nature to his character, since people make him out to be a joke due to Jacksons portrayal and parodies etc. And it really gave focus on the idea of the shatterpoint ''power'' and everything.

But

One of the BIGGEST negatives (the way my wife see's it at least), is Force Unleashed, Galen Marek, who is an INSANELY awesome force wielder, being the one that spear headed the rebellion rather than Leia and her crew, made my wife shit a brick in anger. Thus why she ignores the E/U as a whole.

Oh yeah Force Unleashed was really stupid, but it was fun. I really like playing those games, they're really fun. I can put aside the shitty story for fun gameplay. Like using character skins so I can play as Luke and the Emporer and stuff.

I also dug the first Clone Wars cartoon. The one made by the dude who made Samurai Jack. More so than any of the prequel films. The voice acting is awful, but there's really not much dialogue in it. Usually it lets the action and the great Star Wars music tell the story. I actually liked Anakin in it, rather than in the films, because he wasn't a whiny little shit the whole time. He was actually portrayed as a great hero. It made me feel more than any of the prequels. Like seeing Jedi look scared fighting Grevious made me feel for them when they died. And I don't even know these characters. The Jedi in the prequels were so stoic, wooden, and unrelateable I just didn't even care seeing them all get killed. Except maybe that one who saved Bail Organa, that was a cool scene, even if it was George shoehorning his son into the movie. But like these no name Jedi I've never seen before, when they die, it felt something. Pretty good series really.

As much as I usually enjoy reading EU, I have to agree. They tend to use some lines from the movies like "he's no use to me dead" a lot, which gets annoying for some reason. However, Luke's development in EU is pretty good, in my opinion. And Mara Jade is a great character.

When it comes to Star Wars, I find the parodies that spoof them to be more enjoyable than the actual films themselves.

This is kind of an obivous one for me but I feel Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the best actor of this Generation. Also I feel 50/50 and JGL should have been nominated for an Oscar, instead of Extremely loud and incredibly close.

I didn't like The Avengers film, I hope Justice League does a better job.

I prefer The Amazing Spider-man over Spider-man, infact James Franco was the only thing good about the original trilogy.

I really wish they didn't bring back Bryan Singer to the X-men series. If they bring back former cast members for this up coming one they better bring Storm & Gambit, I don't care about the rest.

Also another obivous one for me Beauty & the beast is 100x's better then the lion king. And I hate how Disney pretty much make seem like the lion king is better

I didn't really like the Amazing Spider-Man film after a second viewing. It's not a movie that stuck with me, it was just something I watched. Nothing really stuck with me. This is how I feel about a lot of comic book films. I enjoy them while I watch them, but after a second viewing I find that they are just so average and lifeless. There are exceptions. Spiderman 2, Dark Knight, X-Men First Class, Dredd, and Avengers are all movies I can watch multiple times and enjoy. But a movie like Amazing Spider-Man really does nothing for me.

I didn't really like the Amazing Spider-Man film after a second viewing. It's not a movie that stuck with me, it was just something I watched. Nothing really stuck with me. This is how I feel about a lot of comic book films. I enjoy them while I watch them, but after a second viewing I find that they are just so average and lifeless. There are exceptions. Spiderman 2, Dark Knight, X-Men First Class, Dredd, and Avengers are all movies I can watch multiple times and enjoy. But a movie like Amazing Spider-Man really does nothing for me.

Thank You. Amazing Spider-Man really wasn't better than the Raimi movies.

This is kind of an obivous one for me but I feel Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the best actor of this Generation. Also I feel 50/50 and JGL should have been nominated for an Oscar, instead of Extremely loud and incredibly close.

I feel Gary Oldman still holds that title.

Leonardo DiCaprio.

I agree, it isn't a good movie..

Archived