Unpopular Movie Opinions

JGPLX.

I don't find anything "special" about Avatar's effects. It's just stuff that's done on a computer. Practical effects always look better because, in the end, CGI will always look fake and a real thing will always look real. This is why the original Star Wars just dominates the prequels in the effects category.

Yes I brought up Star Wars again. I just like talking about.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing looked fake in Avatar... expecially in Blu-Ray at home and Digital in the cinema. Also if you honestly think Star Wars 4-6 has better effects than 1-3, I really don't know what to make of that.

Everything looked fake in Avatar. Real life doesn't look like CGI. There's no way of getting around it, which is why an over reliance on it is never a good thing.

And yes, I feel the original trilogy had better effects, because physical, organic things look more real than anything CGI. Puppet Yoda looks more real than CGI Yoda, Remote Control/Puppet Jabba looks more real than CGI Jabba, a model of an X-Wing looks more real than a CGI Jedi Star Fighter. Everything in the prequel trilogy kind of takes me out of the experience. Characters like Jar Jar, Dexter Jettster, General Grevious, Battle Droids, etc, when they are around real live actors it just doesn't look right. The prequel trilogy looks like you threw Hayden Christenson and Ewan McGreggor into a video game. Original Trilogy looks like a whole other world.

Props to all the guys who worked on effects in the original trilogy. They broke new grounds. They conquered the impossible.

Nothing looked fake in Avatar... expecially in Blu-Ray at home and Digital in the cinema. Also if you honestly think Star Wars 4-6 has better effects than 1-3, I really don't know what to make of that.

Everything looked fake in Avatar. Real life doesn't look like CGI. There's no way of getting around it, which is why an over reliance on it is never a good thing.

Yeah....um....didn't look real at all.....PFT. It is VERY unpopular to say Avatar didn't look real, unless in the blind community.

NEYTIRI-SAVES-JAKE_zpse50e7845.jpg

Neytiri_protects_Jake_zps7cad764d.jpg

avatar_jake_neytiri_zpse948e662.jpg

And yes, I feel the original trilogy had better effects, because physical, organic things look more real than anything CGI. Puppet Yoda looks more real than CGI Yoda, Remote Control/Puppet Jabba looks more real than CGI Jabba, a model of an X-Wing looks more real than a CGI Jedi Star Fighter. Everything in the prequel trilogy kind of takes me out of the experience. Characters like Jar Jar, Dexter Jettster, General Grevious, Battle Droids, etc, when they are around real live actors it just doesn't look right. The prequel trilogy looks like you threw Hayden Christenson and Ewan McGreggor into a video game. Original Trilogy looks like a whole other world.

Props to all the guys who worked on effects in the original trilogy. They broke new grounds. They conquered the impossible.

I watched all the Star Wars trilogy a while ago on blu-ray and the original trilogy still looked dated... no idea how you can say Puppets look more real than CGI... CGI also has much better animation in the film.

And for avatar... what did you want the Navi to look like for them to look real? Just like regular humans...

Yeah, I saw the film, posting screens won't change how I view it. CGI things never look real. If it did look real, you wouldn't have known it was CGI from the get go.

Eight feet tall blue aliens are CLEARLY going to be fake, since they don't exist. That is a bit of a flawed logic to explain your view, but it is your view, and I respect it, just wholeheartedly disagree.

I am Legends CGI infected were very clearly CGI, Avatars was so good you get lost in it because they don't look fake....at all.

Yeah, I saw the film, posting screens won't change how I view it. CGI things never look real. If it did look real, you wouldn't have known it was CGI from the get go.

That's a pretty bold statement that you should re-think, especially considering this is about the freaking Navi

Eight feet tall blue aliens are CLEARLY going to be fake, since they don't exist. That is a bit of a flawed logic to explain your view, but it is your view, and I respect it, just wholeheartedly disagree.

I am Legends CGI infected were very clearly CGI, Avatars was so good you get lost in it because they don't look fake....at all.

When I originally read your post I thought you was anti-Avatar xD. But yeah people who don't think Avatar look amazing and are so anti CGI need to get with the times. Titanic's CGI was also very well made for a movie which is older than 10 years old.

Leonardo DiCaprio is the best method actor right now.

I'm not necesarilly as anti-CGI as you all would think. In Avatar's case, yes, it was completely necessary. I just never got why people said it always looked so realistic. I mean, they did the best they could, but CGI never really looks that realistic to me. In LoTR's case, yes CGI was completely necessary, and that was a rare case where the film was so good, the CGI didn't really take me out of the experience. With Episode II and III of Star Wars it all looks f*cking horrible. Mainly because most of the film was done infront of a green screen. Even sets like a meeting room or something. I personally feel they look worse than the original trilogy. Maybe I'm just a fan of that classic gritty feel than the shiny CGI look.

This is why I find the special editions such an insult. Lucas goes a replaces the blood, sweat, and tears of all the costume designers, model makers, set designers, etc. With CGI. There was a certain magic to the original Star Wars films. "Oh how did they do that?" I mean this is the late 70s early 80s and they pulled off some amazing shit. In the prequels it's a little difficult to find anything that's not CGI. It's a nearly completely CGI film, Rick Berman said it himself. And there's nothing special about that. We don't praise a movie like Shrek or Shark Tale for their amazing special effects.

We don't praise a movie like Shrek or Shark Tale for their amazing special effects.

No we don't because there were movies with better special effects... Anything by Pixar and there was a lot of praise for The Adverntures of TinTin some shots in that look so realistic.

It's not flawed logic at all, you're just missing his point. Making an 8 foot tall blue alien look realistic with CGI should hold up to the same scrutiny as making an elephant look realistic with CGI.

He wasn't saying he wanted realism as in "of this world", but as in "if it was of this world". He wanted it to LOOK realistic, not BE realistic.

I can't stand Star Wars, Star Trek, or Muppets. I, personally think they're horrible.

The pokemon movies/shows, albeit now as good as before, are still good

Have you seen the 2009 Star Trek?

I haven't seen it due to not liking the older ones

Should really give it a chance, I don't like the oldd ones either but Star Trek 2009 is one of the greatest.

Another one I believe is that Skyfall is one of the worst Bond films. As a massive Bond fan who owns pretty much every bit of merchandise from books to model cars to films to games etc. when people say Skyfall is the best Bond film to date, it's absolutely turns my stomach, I found it rather insulting as a Bond fan when Skyfall was first released that people were making this such bold statement, I personally believe it had nothing on films like Goldfinger, The Man With The Golden Gun or Goldeneye.

What did you not like about Skyfall? Also the only Bond movie close you named was Goldfinger.

Oh I totally forgot about Scarface... the most over-rated movie of all time by viewers imo, not critics. Yes Al Pacino was brilliant in it but the film overall isn't anywhere near the best.

Exactly, I thought it was great. Plus did anyone else mark out at the ending, it really showed how Bond has come full circle since the reboot of the series.

Anakin Skywalker's transition to Darth Vader in Episode Three is the best character in any movie ever.

You have just became my favorite member on this site

Also, Star Trek was never good

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan & Star Trek:First Contact says hi.

I thought Avatar was garbage.

Beat me to it, I was going to say, take away the amazing visuals & Avatar was a below average movie, that only made as much money as it did, because of the extra three dollars per ticket it got from being a solely 3D film.

Exactly, I thought it was great. Plus did anyone else mark out at the ending, it really showed how Bond has come full circle since the reboot of the series.

Some of my friends didn't think Skyfall was the best Bond film 'cos they say it felt more like a general action/thriller film rather than a Bond film. I haven't seen any of the older ones yet, but they say they're more campy whereas this one was too serious. They still say it's a good film, just not a good Bond film.

Although he has a crazy and partly insane reputation nowadays, I find Quentin Tarantino to produce the most appealing and entertaining films.

Man Tarantino has and always will be the shit.

Really not an unpopular opinion. He should be noted as the greatest screen writer or all time and one of the best directors of all time.

Although he has a crazy and partly insane reputation nowadays, I find Quentin Tarantino to produce the most appealing and entertaining films.

Man Tarantino has and always will be the shit.

Really not an unpopular opinion. He should be noted as the greatest screen writer or all time and one of the best directors of all time.

Agreed. The cultural impact he's maintained since the 1990s is damn impressive. Weird to think that he started as just a video store clerk.

Archived