Unpopular Movie Opinions

JGPLX.

^ Seek it out. It's quite different from his other movies (especially his Tramp ones). It's a straight up Black comedy.

My favorite Jimmy Stewart movie that I've seen is Vertigo. Phenomenal movie that takes a strange, unbelievable turn. It's pretty screwed up what Stewart's character ends up doing in that one.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Seek it out. It's quite different from his other movies (especially his Tramp ones). It's a straight up Black comedy.

My favorite Jimmy Stewart movie that I've seen is Vertigo. Phenomenal movie that takes a strange, unbelievable turn. It's pretty screwed up what Stewart's character ends up doing in that one.

Definitely will. I'm into classic movie craze right now, actually. have you seen It Happened One Night? Fun movie, and apparently it was scandalous. Shows how time has changed then when we barely bat an eye at sex scenes unless we're parents.

I've seen the movie and thought it was good. I gotta watch it again closely, but I don't know what he did in that movie that's screwed up.

Odd that Buster Keaton was a great comedian, but his movies aren't as rewatchable as Charlie Chaplin's.

Definitely will. I'm into classic movie craze right now, actually. have you seen It Happened One Night? Fun movie, and apparently it was scandalous. Shows how time has changed then when we barely bat an eye at sex scenes unless we're parents.

I've seen the movie and thought it was good. I gotta watch it again closely, but I don't know what he did in that movie that's screwed up.

Odd that Buster Keaton was a great comedian, but his movies aren't as rewatchable as Charlie Chaplin's.

Oh yeah, It Happened One Night is a great Screwball comedy. The chemistry that Gable and Colbert have in the film is terrific.

Re: Vertigo

The Pygmalion-type stuff. Jimmy Stewart plays an obsessive guy who is so depressed about losing the love of his life that he forces his new fling to become his dead lover, which by the way happens to be the same lover who supposedly died!

So in reality, the person he originally fell in love with -- Madeline -- never existed. She was just an actress -- Judy -- playing a role created by his old pal for his absurd plan to kill his wife. The whole is thing so improbable and silly that it's ingenious.

Re: Keaton

Disagree agree with you there. Keaton's movies have as much replay value as Chaplin's for me. His gags are so brilliantlly conceived and executed that I can watch them over and over again without a problem.

Oh right, I remember that now. That was pretty messed up, but Hitchcock thrillers are pretty good for a reason.

Dunno, other than few gags, I just don't feel compelled to watch Keaton films while I find myself checking out Chaplin movies from the library or watching them on YouTube.

Oh right, I remember that now. That was pretty messed up, but Hitchcock thrillers are pretty good for a reason.

Dunno, other than few gags, I just don't feel compelled to watch Keaton films while I find myself checking out Chaplin movies from the library or watching them on YouTube.

If you enjoyed Vertigo enough, take a look at Brian De Palma's Obsession, which takes Vertigo's premise one step further and makes it even more twisted and perverse!

Ah, that's fine. We all have our preferences. In this case, for me, I cannot choose which one I prefer more.

If you have about 9 minutes, though, I recommend you take a look at this video which examines the artistry behind Keaton's gags:

If you enjoyed Vertigo enough, take a look at Brian De Palma's Obsession, which takes Vertigo's premise one step further and makes it even more twisted and perverse!

Ah, that's fine. We all have our preferences. In this case, for me, I cannot choose which one I prefer more.

If you have about 9 minutes, though, I recommend you take a look at this video which examines the artistry behind Keaton's gags:

One of my all-time favorite videos.. So inspiring!

• 1 month later...

The original Matrix is one of the best movies ever. I can't watch it without feeling a certain way. To me, that's what movies are about...inciting certain feelings in the viewer. It's a shame that the series kinda fell off after that. I mean, I still enjoy the sequels as a guilty pleasure...but they don't touch the original.

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin isn't that great of a movie. A lot of it has to do with the plot and pacing of the movie with one of the bigger issues being that the fights don't have anything to really grab you emotionally. San Ta learns kung fury and becomes a walking death machine. When your hero only ever wins it doesn't lend itself to a good battle since we know he'll win and thus take away any sense of doubt or urgency or dread that could suck you in outside of the stuff looking cool. I guess an easier way to put it would be even though you know Bruce Lee is probably going to win there are times where it looks like he may possibly not win. Also for some reason there's a lot of blurring in the film. Not censoring mind you but at times a sot just gets very blurry and faded.

John Wick is like...a top 5 action movie for me. Truly an unexpectedly great movie. Just loved the feel of it, and I don't know how to explain it any better than that. I actually ended up watching it because I heard that the Bloodshot movie would be done by the same people...and then I just ended up loving JW on its own merits.

John Wick is like...a top 5 action movie for me. Truly an unexpectedly great movie. Just loved the feel of it, and I don't know how to explain it any better than that. I actually ended up watching it because I heard that the Bloodshot movie would be done by the same people...and then I just ended up loving JW on its own merits.

Totally agree. I went in with pretty much no expectations, and it ended up being easily one of my favorite movies this decade, maybe more. And apparently Keanu worked with the screenwriter to really nail everything down.

Is it an unpopular opinion to criticize Clara Bow's 'It' or is it acceptable, given the society back when the film debuted (very conservative) as opposed to now (we barely bat an eye at nearly naked people unless we're parents)? like, I just don't see her having 'it' or the movie even being close to risque. From looks only, Mary Pickford had more 'it' than Clara, but I guess her appeal came from her representing the 20s generation more than anything else.

I also feel like this is going over most people's head, except for maybe PTW's.

Movies for the past few decades seem to miss the magic and feel-super-good feeling that classic movies had. But then again, it was usually a mass produced Hollywood factory as opposed to more focus on story nowadays.

Robert Downey Jr's potential also seems squandered as he seems to phone it in acting more as himself than anything else.

Is it an unpopular opinion to criticize Clara Bow's 'It' or is it acceptable, given the society back when the film debuted (very conservative) as opposed to now (we barely bat an eye at nearly naked people unless we're parents)? like, I just don't see her having 'it' or the movie even being close to risque. From looks only, Mary Pickford had more 'it' than Clara, but I guess her appeal came from her representing the 20s generation more than anything else.

Movies for the past few decades seem to miss the magic and feel-super-good feeling that classic movies had. But then again, it was usually a mass produced Hollywood factory as opposed to more focus on story nowadays.

Robert Downey Jr's potential also seems squandered as he seems to phone it in acting more as himself than anything else.

I'm familiar with the movie, but I haven't seen it, so I can't really comment on it. In terms of looks, I like Mary Pickford as well, but she's not a sexpot like Clara Bow was.

Moon (Sam Rockwell movie) > The Martian (Matt Damon movie)

I know they're different genres. One is a psychological thriller...the other is just a scifi movie about bringing an astronaut back to earth. But, they're similar at their cores...and I think Moon is just a much better watch overall. I did thoroughly enjoy The Martian...but, more as a comedy than anything else.

I'm familiar with the movie, but I haven't seen it, so I can't really comment on it. In terms of looks, I like Mary Pickford as well, but she's not a sexpot like Clara Bow was.

'It' is a good movie, don't get me wrong, but I just don't get the hype or how it created Clara's reputation. But again, that's likely a generation/era thing as back then, things were likely more scandalous.

I guess that's it. I read that Mary's appeal came from her innocence and being the girl next door while Clara was seen as a sexpot. Though, I don't think any man or woman can trump Brando or Marilyn in terms of sex appeal, and Marilyn had plenty of competition.

Also found the slow motion of Grace Kelly kissing James Stewart to be ill-fitted, although the way she was introduced was great - her face moving closer to the camera as she leaned in for a kiss.

Even though I haven't seen It, I can tell you right now that movie ain't the most scandalous, outrageous piece of cinema from around that period.

And whoa, where's this Rear Window stuff coming from? Am I missing something here? Also, what do you mean by ill-fitted? You didn't think the slow-mo was appropriate?

Oh? Do tell :D

Just a random thing I thought of ages ago but kept forgetting to bring up. The slo-mo just felt out of place there, like there was no reason to have a slow motion of the kiss. I felt it didn't do anything.

Also, Bill Nighy overacts far too much. How does he still have a job?

Archived