Unpopular Movie Opinions

JGPLX.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^

I just felt like the characters were weak. Pratt and the girl were well done, but the kids? Let's tally what we know about them. 1.) Their parents are getting a divorce, 2.) The older brother is a stereotypical 16 year old, 3.) The younger one is smart. That's really about it. I saw it just under 24 hours ago, and I only remember a single character's name!

That's what was so wonderful about the first movie though. It wasn't just an action movie about dinosaurs. It had a message, and a philosophical statement about the hubris of man, and our role as creators. it wasn't "Let's watch Dinosaurs knock stuff around!"

That's what was so wonderful about the first movie though. It wasn't just an action movie about dinosaurs. It had a message, and a philosophical statement about the hubris of man, and our role as creators. it wasn't "Let's watch Dinosaurs knock stuff around!"

'World' definitely had a statement...albeit an overplayed one, about war and shit. Which would be cheesy as *Censored*, but Pratt's acting made it feel less so. I just don't really have any complaints about the movie. The message was about all living things being connected, and about war always being the wrong answer.

It did. I guess I was just looking for an iconic shot, like that one in the first one with the raw nature of the T-Rex standing in the wreckage of our pride and arrogance. The message in world was certainly over played, and ham fisted even. Like I said, I actually liked it. It was my second favorite, and it was really fun. But that's all it was. I don't think any franchise, barring horror films, has ever had such long legs off of a classic first film, and then none of the subsequent films are just eh.

Benedict, McConaughey and Gyllenhaal are easily the top 3 actors right now (not sure if that's unpopular). Though I rate the first two above Jake which I guess is going to be unpopular.

IMO it's Jake Gyllenhaal, Miles Teller and Edward Norton atm. I'd say Daniel Day Lewis, but this god of a man is just too reclusive. :lol:

I'd also rank Brandon Gleeson and Bob Odendirk above Whipplesnatch and McScrewthespelling. MAYBE also Tom Hardy, Michael Fassbender and Collin Farrell (That's a big maybe) Shawn Christensen is also worth a shout.

Regarding McConaughey: I really love his roles as of late but he's kind of like DiCaprio to me... Great actor and very entertaining roles, but it's always kind of the same character sheet, if that makes sense. Dallas Buyers Club was kind of different but yeah. Eh, maybe I'd agree to rank him really highly, but I personally disagree about Cumberbatch. I don't find him all that great to be honest. But maybe I just find him off-putting because he reminds me of the High Elves in Elder Scrolls. :XD:

*Censored*, I forgot Leto. Dude's seriously worth a mention too. Very versatile and had some great roles. Be it Requime for a Dream(cough), American Psycho, Mr. Nobody or Dallas Buyers Club. And even though his look is controversial, I think he'll play a great Joker too. He's really talented.

Out of curiosity...what puts Gyllenhaal so high? I've never thought that guy was anything special. He's not a bad actor, I would say that he's a pretty good actor...but, like...top three? Why? I wouldn't bother asking if it was just one person's opinion...but two people said it in a row.

Daniel Day Lewis is always the best actor around, even if he's reclusive :P

I want to see more of him. He's the biggest reason I mark over Gangs of New York and feel tempted to watch Lincoln again!

I just saw It Follows. Didn't get the hype IMO. There were cool parts of it, I mean, it's different, it had a certain atmosphere, the cinematography was pretty nice, the soundtrack I really dug, and had a good concept but it definitely didn't seem like a must see or anything. I don't think it really went as far as it could've, it felt kinda lacking. They explored some themes without ever really expanding on them. The plot felt explored on such a superficial, cursory level that it felt like style above substance. I wasn't feeling the ambiguousness of the time frame either because it didn't give the movie a timeless feel like I think the intention was, as much as it was just distracting to me, wondering what era this took place in. Overall, I was disappointed. I didn't really get all the allegories or meanings so maybe that's why it felt meh to me.

Out of curiosity...what puts Gyllenhaal so high? I've never thought that guy was anything special. He's not a bad actor, I would say that he's a pretty good actor...but, like...top three? Why? I wouldn't bother asking if it was just one person's opinion...but two people said it in a row.

Watch Nightcrawler.

Archived