Branching Storylines False Adverstising by THQ ?

Broski Barrage

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently put EVERY superstar on Monday Night Raw, and suddenly I'm getting cut scenes up the ass. As soon as I did it, three of the five matches on the show were highlight matches, and even the ones that aren't don't give me the option to interfere, so I'm getting cut scenes with them, too. The down side is, I keep getting Mankind, Cactus Jack and Dude Love teaming up against the Corporation. I don't like the idea of duplicates teaming together.

But... still no branching cut scenes.

I've never really had a complaint about THQ before, but I've been out of the loop for years and years thanks to a lack of a nex-gen upgrade. WWE '12 was my first wrestling game since Smackdown vs Raw 2007. I was very much taken aback by the barely functioning servers, but all in all, I was pretty satisfied with the product. Of course, paint tools were entirely new to me, so I was probably a lot more impressed with the game than some of you guys here, who have been following these games on a yearly basis. I was shocked at THQ's customer service with the servers, though. I guess it also bears some significance that I didn't get '12 until after it was patched, as I understand that it didn't allow for an all CAW universe out of the box.

This year, I got really excited about the new options in Universe when they were first advertised and wound up getting '13 on release day. Needless to say, I was a bit more disappointed this year. Being on PS3, it seems that I've gotten the short end of the stick with some of these glitches. I don't know if my copy of the game is somehow more glitchy than others, but two counts are quite the rarity for me, my game froze constantly after matches in Universe and required a manual shutdown until I turned Universe stories off entirely, and when they were on they were mostly glitched or some of the more boring scenes from WWE '12, and I certainly have never had any options to choose who I want someone to hit with a chair like I saw in that nifty advertisement video that was released before the game came out. THQ says that I'm not playing the game right, and that I've got to do things a certain way to access these cut scenes. I'm sorry, but I could have sworn that one of the big things being hyped about Universe this year was the fact that it allowed more user freedom than ever. And is THQ sure that I'm not playing the game right when it comes to the cutscenes, because they said the exact same thing about not getting two counts and looked like complete tools when they had to go back and admit that the two count glitch was a real and significant problem.

Through all of its problems, I like WWE '13, but I do kind of think that these branching storyline cutscenes were a bit misleading. I certainly didn't come away from the initial advertisements thinking that I was supposed to play the game with specific characters to get these scenes. If THQ needs to "clarify" after the fact, then I think they should do a bit more than say "play this way." I think that they should detail just what scenes are available to what characters and what conditions, if any, are needed to get them, which I noticed that the OP suggested. That's a great idea and I think it's a bit telling that THQ hasn't done that.

Even with my very limited dealings with THQ, I can certainly see why they've gone bankrupt with some of their rather dishonest practices just with the two recent games by them that I've purchased. I'm not a hardcore gamer by any stretch, but THQ's WWE games are the only games that I've ever played on my PS3 that have given me any types of problems, and the company's response to every single one of those problems has been either to ignore it or assert that it's something that I'm doing wrong.

I've never really had a complaint about THQ before, but I've been out of the loop for years and years thanks to a lack of a nex-gen upgrade. WWE '12 was my first wrestling game since Smackdown vs Raw 2007. I was very much taken aback by the barely functioning servers, but all in all, I was pretty satisfied with the product. Of course, paint tools were entirely new to me, so I was probably a lot more impressed with the game than some of you guys here, who have been following these games on a yearly basis. I was shocked at THQ's customer service with the servers, though. I guess it also bears some significance that I didn't get '12 until after it was patched, as I understand that it didn't allow for an all CAW universe out of the box.

This year, I got really excited about the new options in Universe when they were first advertised and wound up getting '13 on release day. Needless to say, I was a bit more disappointed this year. Being on PS3, it seems that I've gotten the short end of the stick with some of these glitches. I don't know if my copy of the game is somehow more glitchy than others, but two counts are quite the rarity for me, my game froze constantly after matches in Universe and required a manual shutdown until I turned Universe stories off entirely, and when they were on they were mostly glitched or some of the more boring scenes from WWE '12, and I certainly have never had any options to choose who I want someone to hit with a chair like I saw in that nifty advertisement video that was released before the game came out. THQ says that I'm not playing the game right, and that I've got to do things a certain way to access these cut scenes. I'm sorry, but I could have sworn that one of the big things being hyped about Universe this year was the fact that it allowed more user freedom than ever. And is THQ sure that I'm not playing the game right when it comes to the cutscenes, because they said the exact same thing about not getting two counts and looked like complete tools when they had to go back and admit that the two count glitch was a real and significant problem.

Through all of its problems, I like WWE '13, but I do kind of think that these branching storyline cutscenes were a bit misleading. I certainly didn't come away from the initial advertisements thinking that I was supposed to play the game with specific characters to get these scenes. If THQ needs to "clarify" after the fact, then I think they should do a bit more than say "play this way." I think that they should detail just what scenes are available to what characters and what conditions, if any, are needed to get them, which I noticed that the OP suggested. That's a great idea and I think it's a bit telling that THQ hasn't done that.

Even with my very limited dealings with THQ, I can certainly see why they've gone bankrupt with some of their rather dishonest practices just with the two recent games by them that I've purchased. I'm not a hardcore gamer by any stretch, but THQ's WWE games are the only games that I've ever played on my PS3 that have given me any types of problems, and the company's response to every single one of those problems has been either to ignore it or assert that it's something that I'm doing wrong.

You know your game has problems when your insisting that someone is playing the game wrong. LOL how the hell does a consumer play a game wrong? As for the pin falls im sure people were playing the game the same way on 12 and got 2 counts. Yet we all magically decided to play different for this game. I hate to see where this game is going in the future if all of a sudden they *censored*ed up pin counts. This has never been a problem in ANY wrestling game and THQ decides to be the first to *censored* up a simple pin count that they had working for the past decade. Just think whats to come from these games. Thats why when 14 comes out I will not buy on day 1 2 or 3. I will however wait until the game is completely patched before they steal from me again. I wonder if we get a make good DLC this year too.

the whole mode is a hot mess anyway.

i have yet to encounter any branching storylines and even if i did it'd probably glitch up.

but having branching storylines in universe mode is kind of unnecessary anyways.

there needs to be a tab on the Universe menu which has "feuds" or "Current feuds" so we can see who all is in a feud with who and what storyline is going on!

i wish they would just swallow their pride and bring back HCTP's season mode & combine that with GM mode & create the most awesome universe mode to date.

the whole mode is a hot mess anyway.

i have yet to encounter any branching storylines and even if i did it'd probably glitch up.

but having branching storylines in universe mode is kind of unnecessary anyways.

there needs to be a tab on the Universe menu which has "feuds" or "Current feuds" so we can see who all is in a feud with who and what storyline is going on!

i wish they would just swallow their pride and bring back HCTP's season mode & combine that with GM mode & create the most awesome universe mode to date.

I agree with the bolded that would help so damn much

It certainly isn't the greatest, but I'd say I get a branching storyline at least once or twice every few months. Just had one with Hart refusing to shake Austin's hand, which has lead to a solid feud. And the next week, Ziggler *censored*ed Cena up with a chair after a #1 Contender's match. That's just in recent memory.

It definitely doesn't happen all the time, and THQ did a bit of misleading, but it happens. And you definitely don't need to have 'vanilla', default WWE Universe. I have Raw, Raw is War, Superstars, an indy/puro show, and Smackdown, with PPVs for Raw is War and current day WWE. And I might make a PPV for the indy/puro stuff.

And though a feud tab would be rad, most often you can tell who's feuding just by looking at who's being booked--highlight matches = feuds.

Putting it bluntly...

NOTHING HAPPPENS! NOTHING MAKES SENSE! UNIVERSE IS BROKEN! THQ SCREWED US OVER!

(yup, for once I agree with the Browski)

yep this this and this oh yeah and this too

These are my 12 key points as to why this game is a bust at this point until we are told no patch or that they do patch it:

1. AI Rarely kicks out at a 2 count

2. AI Obsessed with OMG Moments

3. Universe severely falsely advertised

4. Created arenas with Custom logos on the schedule freezes in universe

5. AI Abuses the ability to rip the announce table covering off

6. Game freezes after some matches in universe

7. Story Designer freezes and sound effects in story designer non existant

8. AI Is completely unadulterated STUPID

9. Community creations doesn't have thumbnails anymore (ps3)

10. sound goes in and out

11. some moves don't get called properly

and

12 Some moves don't have sound effects

i don't think this Forum would deny any of these claims

If branching storyline means having Kane and Undertaker attack The Mcmahons with their finishers and do their pyro for 2 weeks in a row. Yes I got that. It lasted for 1 month. The first 2 cut scenes were new and the last 2 were from WWE 12.

Weird... I had three scenes with choices. The team breaking up, got it with the NAO and visible choices "Road Dogg attacks" etc., Hand shake with Sheamus and Bryan, but reversed and a title attack from Orton, in which I could choose to attack Ryback (name was glitched into some weird symbols), Ministry Undertaker (same problem) and both.

^ I've gotten none of those sadly and played 3 years of u iverse. Maybe using created arenas is the problem

Just had one a few hours ago in a downloaded Impact Arena. Roode gave Daniels a title, I could decide between attacking Roode and do nothing. I will post a pic in a second

http://i.imagebanana...2/DSC_04711.jpg

Here it is. It's a big pic, sry for that and I took it with my phone, so bad quality. Language is german...and is apperantley translated with the Google-Translator...

Archived