WWE On-Screen power couples.

Mr. Carlton

With the current AJ/Ziggler story, and the fact that over most of this year the major storyline on raw or smackdown has always featured a ''couple'', AJ and someone, I was thinking about on-screen couples that actually lasted.

I wasn't around during the Savage/Elizabeth time, so i was wanting to know how long the two of them actually remained togethor on screen, seeing as when people talk about couples in wrestling it is pretty much always compared to them.

Also, what are your favourites? Who do you think should've been paired together longer or not at all etc.

Mine probably has to be Edge/Lita, because both then were hated, alot, they got alot of heat from their pairing, and their story had so much to it, due to the real life backstory that was there. In my opinion they both benefited from being togethor too. Lita became the top heel diva of that time, and Edge became one of the top guys. Probably the biggest parts of either of their careers to me.

When you really look at it. All the greatest on screen couples had real life history going for them, which just made it better.

Elizabeth & Macho Man - The fact that they were really married in real life. The rumors that her and Hogan were involved, which weren't true, which they turned into a storyline.

Stephanie McMahon & Triple H - Also a real life couple, Triple H supposedly cheating on Chyna with Stephanie, leading to those two breaking up. And the eventual marriage of Triple H & Stephanie.

Edge & Lita - Another real life couple, the whole backstory with Lita being a slut and shit.

Real life issues makes for good television.

Edge and Vickies heat in 2007 was huge. Everyone absolutely hated Vickie for being with Edge rather than Eddie. And Edge being a fantastic heel helped too.

IMO the couples AJ have been involved with have been really awkward and cheesy. I didn't like her and Bryan and her love interests with Cena, Punk and Kane were crap (I wouldn't call any of them asides from Bryan a couple.)

But I honestly like this Ziggler/AJ angle. With Langston as their bodyguard it makes it even more awesome.

Well Edge is my favorite wrestler of all time and I liked the Lita thingy, however, I never really liked Lita, so yeah... Then there was Dolph and Maria, Dolph beeing one of my faves and Maria beeing my 2nd favorite Diva of all time, but... that didn't last very long. I think I'll go with HHH & Steph. That was cool and had a great atmosphere.

The Triple H/Stephanie era was a really great time to be a wrestling fan.

Not around December 1999 to March 2000 it wasen't. It bored the shit out of me how they just got the upper hand on everything and never got their comeuppance until all the Mcmahons came back in April.

Whoever was booking that time it was completely the wrong decision not to put the Rock over at Wrestlemania!

Triple H had to have his way back then didnt he and be the first heel to win in the main event of Wrestlemania.

Not around December 1999 to March 2000 it wasen't. It bored the shit out of me how they just got the upper hand on everything and never got their comeuppance until all the Mcmahons came back in April.

Whoever was booking that time it was completely the wrong decision not to put the Rock over at Wrestlemania!

Triple H had to have his way back then didnt he and be the first heel to win in the main event of Wrestlemania.

I was a Triple H/DX fan, so to see some stars get "buried" didn't really bother me, but as a fan of the of the wrestlers who did get buried in that short time period i can see your point.

For me was a great time to watch wrestling, but that's just my opinion.

if we're talking actual POWER couples, then StepHHH (see what I did there) gets the nod hands down above all other couples before or after them. VickiEdge (I'm on a roll here) and Vickie/Ziggler were just kinda light rehashes of the McMahon-Helmsley Era.

Agreed 100% WWF really turned stale during this time. The Stephanie McMahon character remains to this day a personal worst for me. A whole lot of sh*tty things happened during this 'era' and I found myself enjoying WCW more. WWF picked up again probably when Hogan signed for me.

Edge and Vickies heat in 2007 was huge. Everyone absolutely hated Vickie for being with Edge rather than Eddie. And Edge being a fantastic heel helped too.

IMO the couples AJ have been involved with have been really awkward and cheesy. I didn't like her and Bryan and her love interests with Cena, Punk and Kane were crap (I wouldn't call any of them asides from Bryan a couple.)

But I honestly like this Ziggler/AJ angle. With Langston as their bodyguard it makes it even more awesome.

This

Shane Douglas/Francine, Woman/Sandman, Raven/Lori Fullington & Tommy Dreamer/Beulah were all great onscreen couples some amazing emotionally driven storylines involving them some actually intertwining each couple!!

Also got give a fond mention out to Tammy Lynn Sytch & Chris Candido they always entertained me onscreen!!

Agreed 100% WWF really turned stale during this time. The Stephanie McMahon character remains to this day a personal worst for me. A whole lot of sh*tty things happened during this 'era' and I found myself enjoying WCW more. WWF picked up again probably when Hogan signed for me.

I did enjoy WCW more around this time they did a nice little angle and brought back Jimmy Snuka, Tito Santana & George Steele to feud with Jarrett on Nitro as well as doing dream matches like Hogan & Flair tagging up for the first time which was pretty cool to see.

Seeing Mick Foley practically job 3 times in a row on 3 consecutive PPVs wasent a great idea infact it was pretty shit. They made such a big deal over Mankind refusing to fight Hunter and bring out Cactus to return he should of gone over at the Rumble as that is what the people wanted. If it wasent for having Austin come out and screw Trips out of the title I probably would of turned away from WWF for a long time.

I did enjoy WCW more around this time they did a nice little angle and brought back Jimmy Snuka, Tito Santana & George Steele to feud with Jarrett on Nitro as well as doing dream matches like Hogan & Flair tagging up for the first time which was pretty cool to see.

Seeing Mick Foley practically job 3 times in a row on 3 consecutive PPVs wasent a great idea infact it was pretty shit. They made such a big deal over Mankind refusing to fight Hunter and bring out Cactus to return he should of gone over at the Rumble as that is what the people wanted. If it wasent for having Austin come out and screw Trips out of the title I probably would of turned away from WWF for a long time.

They were trying to make HHH into the star he become. Mick beating him would have failed doing that.

Archived