Has Anyone Seen this Yet?

V to I

Just saw this on 411Mania, figured I'd give it a share:

A certain video has been making waves on the internet the past week or so, and it comes from a source that is altogether baffling. At an event called "Ignite Baltimore," an astrophysicist from John Hopkins University was posed with these questions:

If you had five minutes on stage, what would you say? What if you only got 20 slides and they rotated automatically after 15 seconds? At every Ignite Baltimore 16 artists, technologists, thinkers and personalities will answer this challenge.

The possibilities are obviously endless for such an expansive mind. He could have talked about the universe, the cosmos, the density of the cosmic microwave background, Samos, ANYTHING! Instead, he chose a topic dearest to all of our hearts. Yes, readers, an astrophysicist took this daunting task of stage time and spoke about….CM Punk.

In five minutes, Mike Specian nearly validates our fandom in such a way that we could only hope to explain. When people ask why we are fans, or simply question the fact that we are, it's so hard to properly articulate why – especially when their immediate rebuttal is, "you know it's fake, right?" Specian had five minutes to, not only convince an entire crowd of non-believers that this product was worthy of its fanbase, but also to gain their attention and keep it, while using characters that were, arguably, unknown.

From a fans standpoint, we can be jaded and assume that there NEED be a previous base of knowledge in order to appreciate and understand Specian's position, but I challenge you, reader, to watch this with an open mind and pretend – the best you can – that you know next to nothing about wrestling, and ask yourself if it can truly be understood from a perspective of a person that knows nothing about the wrestling world.

I tried with every fiber of my being not to look at this as a wrestling fan in any way, but it was more then I could do. It's hard to write how I feel about this because of what was being discussed; it was, to me anyways, a review of the Summer of Punk storyline, the backstage politics prior to and after. Don't get me wrong it was a fun watch and I'd suggest everyone watch it, but I just don't know how to feel or know what to say about it. That and I haven't been awake all that long so that may be a factor.

Thanks for posting!

Love the Punk quote; On the mic, in the ring, on commentary!

Seriously this was *censored*ing amazing!

This is a *censored*ing A+++

The guy had the balls to talk about a subject, that most people would be laughed at for talking about.

And he made it awesome!

That was a very good video and I found myself interested in what he had to say. It was difficult for me to pretend that I didn't know anything about wrestling but the fact is, I know quite a bit. I thought he sold the presentation very well and it was indeed interesting to listen to.

Very well presented. He has what a lot of public speakers lack. He had a continuous flow, didn't stutter once and it was all timed perfectly.

And, he summarized one of the most ground breaking segments in WWE history. :cool: Liked it a lot.

Archived