New PS3 HDD and Copy-Prohibited Saves

lightning116

So right now, my fat PS3 80GB needs to be changed and I'm contemplating on getting either a 160GB or 320GB in time for WWE '13 and probably Sleeping Dogs/Amazing Spider-Man.

So over the weekend, I took the time to backup my game saves on my USB drive for safe keepings......until I came across something that will ruin everything for me: freaking copy-prohibited save files.

Lollipop Chainsaw, Shadows of the Damned, Vanquish, Saints Row 3, ModNation Racers and all the SmackDown games from 2010 to 2012 among others I cannot back them up. I really do not want to change my hard drive and lose all of them. I'd hate to lose them after putting so much work into these games and also getting 100% at them too. You know, it's strange how Microsoft makes it really easy to transfer data from one 360 to another yet Sony is afraid of trophy hackers that they have the game saves copy-prohibited. Okay, I understand that no one should just get trophies without putting in any of the work (stinking trophy whores) but all that does is alienate their fanbase.

Please tell me there is a safe way to get my copy-prohibited game saves onto a new PS3 hard drive without the risk of going over those again to unlock everything.

I would get a 30 day trial of PS+ for like $5. You can back all of your saves onto the cloud and then when you get your new PS3 you can log back into your account and download everything onto your computer through PS+. Its much easier than backing up everything on a hard drive and doesn't affect copy-prohibited stuff.

I would get a 30 day trial of PS+ for like $5. You can back all of your saves onto the cloud and then when you get your new PS3 you can log back into your account and download everything onto your computer through PS+. Its much easier than backing up everything on a hard drive and doesn't affect copy-prohibited stuff.

As a Ps3 owner, I had no idea this was possible. This should be the answer to your question and if your saves are as important as u say, then paying 5 bucks should be of no concern.

I have a question. My PS3 is running out of memory and cant buy a new one. if I do that will I be able to use the data later in the future. Cuz Im getting WWE13 Assassins Creed 3 and Black Ops 2

Way ahead of you guys. Renewed PS Plus for 3 months and slowly uploaded the more important saves onto it. Mostly from the SmackDown games. Highlight reels and screenshots aren't necessary cause I can start fresh with those. I agree that it does suck how hard it is to go through this just to change a new hard drive.

Still will keep the non-copy prohibited ones on my flash when I'm ready to recopy them.

Sucks how it isn't as easy as you can do it as Xbox(not starting anything, I have both). But yeah PS+ is useful for its cloud storage although you'd need to subscribe first. (Xbox has it free though? just realised)

I've just read that you need Gold so it's not free. It'd cost you £40 subscription on either console.

I'm about to do the same soon as my current PS3 won't play games anymore. But in system setting there is an option called Data Transfer Utility which transfers data saved on one PS3 to another, even copy-protected save data. You just need to connect the two PS3's via an ethernet cable

I'm about to do the same soon as my current PS3 won't play games anymore. But in system setting there is an option called Data Transfer Utility which transfers data saved on one PS3 to another, even copy-protected save data. You just need to connect the two PS3's via an ethernet cable

The problem is that one PS3 will have to be formatted for it to work, so if you have save data on both PS3's, you're screwed. It's a great suggestion, but sadly enough, it won't work for everyone.

Archived