Raw audience barely breaks 3.5 million

Dazz

Credit: PWInsider

Audience erosion continues for WWE's flagship show as he 10/1 edition of Raw averaged 3,502,000 viewers, dropping significantly from last week and the over four million viewers that they averaged just two weeks ago. As the chart below shows, it's been a downward spiral for WWE since they went to three hours in July. The reasons for the audience drop are obvious, to most people at least. Hopefully the person that matters most will start taking heed.

It is officially time for concern for the company.

Ratings chart can be found in the full article here:

http://www.pwinsider.com/article/72358/raw-audience-barely-breaks-35-million-changes-need-to-be-made-in-the-wwe-process.html?p=1

I hope the ratings progressively get worse. You know why? WWE pulls itself together when it knows it's starting to fade, may not be a permanent improvement, but I think things will start to change for the better at least for a couple of years.

Like London said, you can thank Le NFL for stomping a mudhole in RAW's ass. Matches or even backstage segments that could help develop the undercarders > Constant commercial breaks and barrages of the social media bullshit.

lol WWE. Better get their shit together.

Won't happen until the Grim Reaper stunners the life out of Vince and allows Triple Haitch to take over.

this product is not really popular.

All the way this. Years of alienating that vaunted 18-35 year old male demographic for the sake of "family friendly" programming is starting to take it's toll. Male viewers are finding alternatives now, the UFC, the NFL (which does have a legit stake in the ratings drop), and TNA. Those younger viewers they're trying desperately to pull in have the attention span of a goldfish. It's the older fans who've been the life-blood of WWE, and instead of giving the (us) what they want, they've instead been bleeding themselves dry.

It's only going to continue. I don't see anything on the horizon that will spark ratings for them until at least The Rumble, when Rock and possibly Brock will make appearances. Tragic when you think about it.

There was a big game on Monday Night Football. I'm not worried and the WWE don't have to be. Have they ever beat MNF?

That's a good question. You see I don't think they use to compare the two as much because MNF use to be on ABC, which is a network. Well now it's on ESPN which is regular cable. I don't know how much that changes things, but once upon a time, Nitro was number one on cable and subsequently, Raw. They probably didn't factor in MNF because it was on ABC at the time.

But let's take a look at the big picture here. Some of you are ok with how things are and that's fine. What the rest of us are saying is that the progressive drop in viewership over the years, especially this year, is bad for the business in general because it singals a drop in overall popularity of wrestling. Right now, it is entirely WWE's responsibility for this, not TNA's. TNA is lucky to even have a show right now and should only focus on themselves at the moment and not worry about anything else.

To be fair to WWE the major reason the ratings are dropping is because of Monday Night Football. This week it was Dallas/Chicago. Next week won't be any easier with Texas/New York.

WIth that said...once upon a time WWE & WCW were able to compete with Monday Night Football and even beat the NFL. The product has declined, a lot of wrestling fans have moved on, and this 3rd hour isn't helping matters either. I'm not surprised at all by the ratings drop.

When they come out someone post the figures that include people who recorded the show. People seem to just ignore these numbers now despite them playing a pretty big part in the drop in live viewers.

Well....but we all had VCR's back in the day too that could be programmed to record. See even though it doesn't necessarily take DVR into account, it still says something that whomever recorded it didn't see fit to watch it live because something else was more important.

Well....but we all had VCR's back in the day too that could be programmed to record. See even though it doesn't necessarily take DVR into account, it still says something that whomever recorded it didn't see fit to watch it live because something else was more important.

I agree that's a bit worrying, but sport is something that loses it's appeal when watching a recording even if you don't know the outcome compared to a scripted show.

I'm not trying to say this isn't poor or anything, but I'd be interested to know if the DVR numbers are staying steady, or if they are going down as well.

When they come out someone post the figures that include people who recorded the show. People seem to just ignore these numbers now despite them playing a pretty big part in the drop in live viewers.

Like the time slot. I'd love to stay up & watch RAW live every week. But because of College & the fact that it airs 1AM here in England, I am forced to Sky+ it every week.

*Vince voice*

Ratings? Who cares about ratings??? John cena, kofi Kingston, brodus clay, and all my other cartoon wrestlers are selling buttloads of merchandise!

Yeah....

And they do still make money there's no denying that. But that money could be history in the long term if the popularity continues to go down. I just fear for the business here that's all...I have no beef with WWE.

I agree that's a bit worrying, but sport is something that loses it's appeal when watching a recording even if you don't know the outcome compared to a scripted show.

I'm not trying to say this isn't poor or anything, but I'd be interested to know if the DVR numbers are staying steady, or if they are going down as well.

Did a little research and it looks like WWE averages around 300,000 from DVR numbers. Some weeks Raw had 295,000 while other weeks they have 315,000 in DVR numbers and there doesn't seem to be a pattern between the numbers going up or down, just an average.

People wanna claim it's because of MNF?

Ok....

Explain why the ratings have been getting worse even during the downtime when there was no MNF during the summer then.

Fact is, as hinted at in the report, the product is terrible and unless the right people take heed, it'll continue to drop until they get their act together creatively.

People wanna claim it's because of MNF?

Ok....

Explain why the ratings have been getting worse even during the downtime when there was no MNF during the summer then.

Fact is, as hinted at in the report, the product is terrible and unless the right people take heed, it'll continue to drop until they get their act together creatively.

Yeah well that's the blunt version of the point I'm trying to get across here (and on a couple other sites I won't mention because they're even more in denial). And see the thing that's going to happen is even if MNF is making the ratings unusually low, if those viewers are like normal then they will be inclined to not bother watching anymore no matter what because they will have gone weeks without it and realized that there was really no reason to watch in the first place.

Considering Tony Romo (Dallas Cowboys QB) had one of the worst performances of his career of course it's easy to switch to that then watch Ryback ************* in his match with ****.

Matches have progressively been booked a bit better from what I have seen the last few months. But some of these segments and the extra hour really hurt them.

I used to watch MNF at the 8 pm timeslot then switch to raw if it was a blow out at that point. But not I'm like faq which should I watch and just switch back and forth now.

Archived