Does anyone actually enjoy them?

BlackToxic

Nearly every week we get about 3-5 Backstage "Prove why i should choose you" segments, where either Hogan or Brooke or some other authority figure are sitting down with a bunch of wrestlers and they have a chat about why they deserve a title shot or to be put in some tournament or have to defend their title etc, then one will get cut and storm off and through out the night they keep going back to the same type of segment until Hogan finally makes his choice.. splendid.

It was fine the first time they done it (if i remember correctly, it was on the first Gut Check, to see who was going to defend their title that night) but do we really need it all the damn time? Does anyone actually enjoy this crap? The only thing it serves as a purpose for to me is to suggest or stupidly make it look like Hogan only gets one decision per week, because that is the only reason i can see why they would show one random business decision and not any others he's supposed to be making (except some crap at the intro of the night).

It's not like they are pushed to fill the show and try fill it out, they often have a bunch of Storylines and feuds going on that don't get as much time as they should.. i know it's not a massive part of the show, but it sucks so bad.

Eh.. I'm getting tired of seeing Hogan on all the time.. Same with Pritchard..

The "Why should I pick you.." segments with the established TNA guys. They're alright, just for whatever the guys will say to defend themselves.

Gut Check... The matches themselves are interesting, just to see how the new talent can cut it with the TNA roster. With that, other than Taz and hopefully whatever they decide to resolve with this Joey Ryan angle, there's really nothing else worth mentioning about Gut Check.

Some of the "bickering" between talents has been amusing but I really think its become just an excuse for ol' Hollywood to get more screen time. They should use it more sparingly for sure, problem is Hogan here I think and you make some valid points. Especially it giving off the notion that Hogan only gets one decision a week. That is pretty silly even for Wrestling. They spend a lot of time per show on Hogan talking and this is why the aces and eights stuff may not be so good in terms of giving Hogan more segments and what not. The kidnapping and everything is sort of dumb too tbh, they "filmed" the whole thing and then said "we just got this footage now let's roll it" like I'm supposed to believe an aces and eights member held the camera or that the camera guy was "there" even though he wasn't. Hogan comes off too cartoony when he gets more into "character" and I think he is killing some of these segments tbh.

Why would it be an excuse for Hogan to get tv time when he's been heavily involved in TNA's main angle anyway? I'm not bothered by them, like at all. The fact that they're unscripted is pretty cool too, the superstar reactions anyway, I just think it adds to certain matches instead of having guys go out there and compete with no rhyme or reason.

I like it.

It's different than having random title contenders for no apparent reason or going the tournament/battle royal option (which have both been done to death) plus it gives screen time to 4 guys even if only one of them gets the title match.

I actually really like them. Even when they sometimes find weird reasons to eliminate someone or have never-saw-that-guy-in-that-title-hunt people in it. It's a easy way to start stories and explain contender/title matches

Why would it be an excuse for Hogan to get tv time when he's been heavily involved in TNA's main angle anyway? I'm not bothered by them, like at all. The fact that they're unscripted is pretty cool too, the superstar reactions anyway, I just think it adds to certain matches instead of having guys go out there and compete with no rhyme or reason.

Because they don't need to do it. They just think it worked so they continue to use it. It did work, it was interesting (at first) but there should be more of a variety in how they determine these things. If you think about it...Hogan comes out in the beginning of Impact, talks about this and other things...then they do those segments a couple of times and he makes a decision, then he is involved in the last segmemt too. Obviously, he is heavily involved in their main storyline...but to me, that's all the more reason he doesn't need to be so involved with these other things. He can fill his role and be a major part of a major storyline, but then why do I have to see him in 4 other backstage segements as well. I'm gonna count how many "brothers" I hear next Impact and make a drinking game out of it. I don't have a problem with Hogan or the segments per say, I just don't like too much hogan and too much of the same backstage stuff. They should use it for certain circumstances, not all. Have a match then, the match can tell the same story.

Because they don't need to do it. They just think it worked so they continue to use it. It did work, it was interesting (at first) but there should be more of a variety in how they determine these things. If you think about it...Hogan comes out in the beginning of Impact, talks about this and other things...then they do those segments a couple of times and he makes a decision, then he is involved in the last segmemt too. Obviously, he is heavily involved in their main storyline...but to me, that's all the more reason he doesn't need to be so involved with these other things. He can fill his role and be a major part of a major storyline, but then why do I have to see him in 4 other backstage segements as well. I'm gonna count how many "brothers" I hear next Impact and make a drinking game out of it. I don't have a problem with Hogan or the segments per say, I just don't like too much hogan and too much of the same backstage stuff. They should use it for certain circumstances, not all. Have a match then, the match can tell the same story.

They do use it for certain circumstances.

Once a month.

For a shot at only one title.

"certain circumstances, not all"...in reference to the title matches and contenders...sorry for the confusion maybe should have been more specific with that part.

The point and the difference was: using it once a month every month, for every title shot/contender circumstance vs. using it one month, then not using it the next, and then maybe using it again and so on. It should depend on the talent in question and the circumstances/storyline as well, not just the fact that its OFN and they need contenders for a title match. I really don't see whats wrong with mixing it up from time to time for some variety and so that people dont get sick of a "good" thing too fast. Even if you've enjoyed it now (and I have sometimes and other times not so much), if they abuse it every month...we'd all get sick of it anyway.

Why so literal guys? lol

by "every title shot/contender circumstance" I dont mean every Title they have either. I mean whichever one they are using the segments for at the time.

• 1 month later...

I like them, I just don't think we need so many in one night. The format should be showing all the eliminations at once, not 3 different promos over the course of the night. Also, they should have some influence on rivalries, like how Aries and Anderson got in a fight after he lost the title, that should have grown to a series of matches, not some meaningless one time thing. That being said, I enjoy the reactions of the guys, but hogan"s mightier than thou face gm character is probably the worst part of the thing. He's so noble it's despicable.

Archived