TNA Policy Could Have Massive Effect

Dazz

Credit to Mike Johnson at PWInsider:

A number of independent promotions have sent word that TNA is no longer allowing their contracted talents to appear on DVDs of indy events sold by those promotions. PWInsider.com is working on confirming that with TNA.

Since 2004, TNA has policy has been that sales of DVDs featuring their talent was OK, as long as the independent promotion was selling it directly themselves and it was not for sale via a third party. For example, XYZ Wrestling could sell DVDs featuring TNA talents on XYZ's website and at their events, but not through Best Buy or Amazon.com. The word making the rounds is that TNA no longer wants their talent to be on any independent DVDs released that are sold online, even if they are being sold by the promotion themselves.

Obviously, this will have a massive ripple effect on where and how TNA talents are booked by independent promotions going forward. It's not hard to assume there will be a drop in TNA talents' bookings out to third parties. The flip side to that is that TNA does run more live events now than in any other time in their history, so while they cycle which talents are working TNA live events, they are providing more dates a week now overall.

PWInsider.com has contacted TNA for comment, but does not expect a response this evening.

Update, again thanks to PWInsider:

We heard from one independent promotion that noted they stopped booking TNA talent over the course of the summer as they were informed they could no longer feature talents on iPPVs, DVDs or any other rebroadcasted material. So, it appears it went into effect over the course of the summer and is now being strictly enforced.

Chavo Guerrero posted the following on his twitter about cancelling an appearance for North Shore Pro Wrestling, a promotion based in Quebec due to the issues: "I will not be appearing @NSPW on Oct 6 due to them not honoring their contract. They decided last min that they wanted to tape & sell DVD's Of me & that was never discussed. That is of course illegal to film & distribute w/out permission. I'm sorry to ppl who have already paid But that is completely on @NSPW plz don't blame me. I'm still willing to hold up my end of the deal. Plz take your complaints to @NSPW"

NSPW responded on their twitter, writing, "Due to TNA deciding that their talent cant appear on indy feds' dvd, we hav no choice but to cancel Chavo Guerrero's appearance on Oct. 6th. Mr. Guerrero's claim that we decided last minute to tape and sell dvds is incorrect has we have done dvds of all of our shows. It is just not possible to cover the cost without dvds of the event. Never in the past has this been an issue with any guests. NSPW finds the situation and the decision made by TNA to prevent talent from appearing on dvds to be unfortunate. NSPW doesn't hold anything against Mr Guerrero and wishes him nothing but the best with TNA Wrestling. A suitable replacement for our Main Event will be announced tonight!"

Wow. It's going to be really tough for them to earn extra money now with this new take on the policy. I highly doubt a lot of the roster could/can live on just what TNA pays them, and working on the indie circuit was probably a good way for them to make a little extra.

Some straight up bull shit, and a poor move coming from a company that doesn't have the money to supplement the income to their wrestlers they are blatantly taking away.

I give it a couple of months before the policy is gone, or a good percentage of the mid card guys have to part ways.

One of the main reasons alot of Indy talent signs with TNA is the ability to still work other promotions. They get the steady pay check, and there indy worth also goes up due to TV time/relevancy.

I don't honestly see how they can justify this move, they arn't WWE financially and shouldn't pretend to be. I still see them as closer to ROH then WWE in all reality.

One of the main reasons alot of Indy talent signs with TNA is the ability to still work other promotions. They get the steady pay check, and there indy worth also goes up due to TV time/relevancy.

I don't honestly see how they can justify this move, they arn't WWE financially and shouldn't pretend to be. I still see them as closer to ROH then WWE in all reality.

Hell, maybe ROH has more spending money than TNA due to Sinclair owning them and Dixie having her allowance stopped when she spent a little too much on contracts for some of the upper tier talent.

This policy won't hurt people like Mickie who spend more time recording music than wrestling but yeah, those who rely on constantly working matches where they can will have a big decision to make.

honesty i think itb not tna fault im sure the indys knew the rules but failed to stand by it

Indy promotions sell tickets mainly on name value.

Lets say that you opened a promotion and had (using a former e-fed protege of mine turned pro wrestler's name) Josh Kotsabakis headlining against (made up name here) Silverwolf. How many more tickets do you think you'd sell if you added, say.....Lance Storm as a special guest referee for that match?

TNA can't be blamed for wanting exclusivity with their talent but the fact is, both they and their talent can't afford to do that.

OVW currently has all titles held by contracted TNA talent right now (Crimson as Heavyweight champ, Alex Silva as TV champ, Mr Pectacular as Tag champ and Taelor Hendrix as Women's champ).

Lets say OVW wasn't partnered as TNA's developmental system and were forced to comply with the new policy's rules. How would you book things when 4 of your 5 champions are suddenly yanked out and not allowed to feature on DVD or iPPV?

How would they afford travel, food, a place to stay overnight if they only relied on the TNA paycheck?

How many fan would they lose if they couldn't see people who wrestle on worldwide television on a semi-regular basis?

it not that they apper on dvd it fact they broke tna rule to allow them appear and use outside media to sell the dvd like amazon if they just sold them by there website it would be fine

A lot of indy places have sold DVDs on their own website for years though. Most indy DVDs I've seen on Amazon etc were sold by fans or the wrestlers themselves, not the promotions.

it not that they apper on dvd it fact they broke tna rule to allow them appear and use outside media to sell the dvd like amazon if they just sold them by there website it would be fine

They didn't break a rule.

They gave them a heads up the rule was coming.....

If TNA claims that they can't afford to pay their talent a comfortable salary, then I call b.s. They have more than enough money to provide everybody there with a good paycheck if they wanted to. Damn I miss WCW.

Sooner or later, somebody is going to force the wrestling industry to treat their workers better, whether they like it or not.

Hasn't this policy been around forever? I remember thats why AJ Styles and company withdrew from ROH wayyyyyy back when and in 2006-ish TNA started pulling talent from bigger indys which lead to Samoa Joe, Cide and other to leave ROH.

I think that was exclusively a split from ROH.

Restricting talent from appearing on other companies' iPPVs is something ROH does now, and I thought that was going too far, but TNA talent working the indys are going to have to stoop pretty low to find companies that don't even tape for DVD sales nowadays.

Hasn't this policy been around forever? I remember thats why AJ Styles and company withdrew from ROH wayyyyyy back when and in 2006-ish TNA started pulling talent from bigger indys which lead to Samoa Joe, Cide and other to leave ROH.

Yep.

TNA isn't restricting it's talent from doing indy shows and earning money, they just don't want them filmed.

Nope.

That was due to the pedophile charges against ROH's owner at the time. TNA pulled Joe, AJ, Aries and others from ROH appearances while Daniels chose not to work there until the guy was gone from the promotion.

Archived