Does anyone feel that the old Hand-Animated moves still look better than the Motion Captured Moves?

Slateboard

I was looking at some of the old games (Currently SVR 2010) and I'm seeing a lot of the moves that got replaced by new, motion-captured animations. And to be honest, I like the older versions better.

While I'm not going to try and argue that they should abandon mo-cap and do strictly hand-animated moves, I do wish they weren't removed/replaced.

One such move is The Rock's Spine Buster (that sets up for The People's Elbow). The old animation had been in since Smackdown Shut Your Mouth and I still thought it was perfect. It essentially possessed all of The Rock's mannerisms when he'd actually perform the move, from the timing, to the way he moved towards the opponent's head after the impact.

SVR 2010 happens to have both the old and current Spine Buster animations and you can compare the two. -

I wonder why the new, Motion-Captured version isn't as good as the old one? Perhaps it is too generic and not truly 'The Rock's' Spine Buster?

The same goes with Undertaker's Running DDT. The old one flowed much better than the new one and it was also created for Smackdown Shut Your Mouth and removed in SVR 2011. The new one just looks slow and odd to me.

I know they're not all bad, but I have no idea why there's such a drastic difference in terms of capturing the little bits of what made the move unique to a specific wrestler.

Anyone have some thoughts to share on this? I haven't seen too many WWE '13 Videos to have an opinion on what new animations they have and how good they are.

I prefer animated moves aswell, I think they had more impact and they could properly capture all the mannerisms. If I was THQ, I would just mo-cap a TON of moves, just have like 12-15 guys just bumping all sorts of new moves all day, then have the team animating moves aswell, I am sure you could get 300+ new moves every year this way.

yea I think the animations in the older games like 2006 was far better.

when I got 2011 a while back I couldn't beileve how bad the animations had gotten.

in the old games you could tell rvd frog splash from others on the game.

I don't understand why thq didn't just add moves and not take any away.

the game would be far better. I would love to see them to bring back moves like hulk Hogan running leg drop.

Just looking at that perfect old spinebuster...it's so beautiful. Then I look at the one now... :argh:

But like I mentioned in the other thread, I indeed prefer animated moves over mocap. Now I'm not gonna lie and say that all animated moves looked good, but in most cases they do in terms of likeness and impact. Worst decision that THQ ever made, the way they deleted those moves like that. I'm almost certain that they were removed randomly. I mean 300+ moves...in one year's time? That even included the new moves that were added one year prior!

Idk, it just seemed unprofessional. There was a better of doing that if they HAD to remove moves. I would have least kept the old ones until u could replace them, instead of leaving us hanging and limited. And I don't believe the "quality" BS because there were still moves from the PS2 days left in the game, but yet some of the newer moves were removed that same year. Doesn't make sense to me...

But anyway, enough with my rant. You get where I stand on this.

Depends on what move it is. If it's something like this move, sure. But when it's like, the F-5? Hell no.

The F-5 didn't look that bad back then imo, but I agree with u to an extent where motion capture would look better. Like for me, I think the tombstone looks better mocapped because the movement and repositioning of the opposer looks more natural. So it comes in handy in those situations. Just wish they would manually animate certain moves or parts when needed.

Depends on what move it is. If it's something like this move, sure. But when it's like, the F-5? Hell no.

I agree. I'm not trying to imply that all old moves were better. I agree that some of them are better than the old ones.

One common theme I've noticed is that old animations were somewhat character-specific and situational. Like, it's based on a specific instance that the move was used in. To me, this has two effects -

1. We can immediately associate it with a match we've seen and the move looks accurate as a result.

2. The move is only performed that one way so it makes it somewhat limited.

For example, The old Pedigree Animations The Hand-release version and the over-sell (almost like a tiger driver if you guys know what I mean) version. The release version was used on Shawn Michaels when Triple H faked a DX Reunion and attacked him. I believe the second one was based on Triple H's match vs. Booker T at WrestleMania XIX but I am unsure.

This is essentially a downside to the moves and perhaps the reason why so many good moves (in our eyes) were deemed unsuitable and such.

I've noticed that the new moves are more 'generic' and not tied to a specific instance and in some cases, not even tied to a specific wrestler through mannerisms, etc.

As such, I believe that new moves are good, but just not at the expense of the old ones. Those old moves should still have a place in the game and let players choose.

Seems to take them forever to animate updated moves and replace the ones they removed, the animated method surely takes less time.

I am under the assumption that hand-animated moves are more difficult to produce compared to motion captured moves. This is assuming the move could be created using both methods.

I have not studied 3D Animation so I can't really comment more but that's how I feel.

Eh, it's 33.3%-33.3%-33.3% to me.

Smackdown I, II era games: Decent selling, decent wrestler 'flair.' Finishers looked how they looked in matches here.

SmackDown! Shut Your Mouth, Here Comes The Pain era games: Moves look really authentic to the superstar, just really over sold. Back flips stemming from chokeslams and Rock Bottoms given on the attacker's tippy toes started here. Also, over-enthusiastic finishers that happen in interview and attack segments come from here too.

Current games: Moves look really weak and generic, though the selling has been toned down. I don't know WHERE the *censored* these finishers come from-

Archived