Konnan talks about WWE top stars.

Infinity

""They need to make more stars, dude. We talk about this every week. I don't know why they don't, why they haven't. They've always been behind the curve, so has wrestling in general. That hurts a lot. I have a lot of ideas of how you could change it to make it cooler, but who in that company could do that Stone Cold gimmick or that Rock gimmick? They don't have anybody and then on top of that, they're not giving enough time to make new stars.""It's always the same guys over and over and over. It's like, alright, those guys are already stars, let's make new ones. I don't know if any of those guys are stepping up though and saying look, I've got a great gimmick, let's go with it. It just doesn't seem like it. They just don't have those big stars there and they're not making new ones like they should.""

Source: rajah.com

Konnan is saying what every last person on CAWS (wrestling section) and other forums/blogs have been saying for a few years now. You can't tell me just because guys like Lesnar and Lashley left after huge pushes means you fear pushing superstars. I do wonder at times what is actually going on? With all that talent WWE has the least thing they should do is fear a superstar leaving after getting pushed to the top. They always come back eventually.....

I honestly think WWE management is afraid to give young superstars the "ball", so to speak, and probably expects them to ultimately "drop it (the ball)". Therefore, I think WWE is taking their sweet time in making new stars, which is fine with me, even though I'm just as tired as everyone else in the IWC of seeing the same guys in the main event scene.

...Also, there's something that's been kinda bugging me. What's so special about Cody Rhodes again?

I honestly think WWE management is afraid to give young superstars the "ball", so to speak, and probably expects them to ultimately "drop it (the ball)". Therefore, I think WWE is taking their sweet time in making new stars, which is fine with me, even though I'm just as tired as everyone else in the IWC of seeing the same guys in the main event scene.

...Also, there's something that's been kinda bugging me. What's so special about Cody Rhodes again?

When you find out Please tell me.

Cody has a hoodie.

And with Bryan, Punk, Sheamus, Barrett, Rhodes, Ziggler, Mr. I am forgetting you right now, there are new stars in the main event showing their worth. And there is a lot of promise in NXT & Smackdown; Sandow, Wyatt, Rollins. Not sure about Kassisu Ohno, has hardly been on NXT. But it's really not that bad if you ask me.

Konan nailed it right on the head. WWE needs to start building up more stars. I never watched it, this is why Superstars was good. You got to see talent you probably weren't going to be seeing on raw or Smackdown!, and made it to where you could discover people outside of the main stars. WWE needs to work harder on their roster, because there is going to be a point where their current big stars will be gone, and they'll have to start at square one.

But if the WWE wasn't promoting new stars where did CM Punk, Danial Bryan and Sheamus come from? Its not just Cena, Orton, Edge and Triple H sharing the title anymore...

They have given guys a chance to run with it and it has varying degrees of sucecess... (Kane, Miz, Christian, Mark Henry, Del Rio)

Just because they keep throwing in Cena and ORton doesn't mean other guys aren't getting a run.

I don't know about necessarily making movie stars, but yes, WWE shouldn't hesitate in building up new talent...I mean, they are pretty much doing it right now. In the risk of allowing newer, fresher superstars to prove their worth, it's always going to be a 50/50 deal. Some of them like Antonio Cesaro and Damien Sandow are getting high praises with WWE right now and I believe there should be more up there along with them...However, in terms of "dropping the ball," this occurs a lot when pushing new talent (McIntyre, JTG, Curt Hawkins, Tyson Kidd, etc.), and even though I understand that not everyone can be a star, it takes a lot of time for them to find their niche and capitalize on that...

A few weeks ago I said the same thing pretty much about WWE use (or lack of) talent in a thread highlighting the Austin/Rock feud. I'll quote it here...

Funny how this thread got hijacked like that, isn't it? but to all of Rock-haters...you know who you have to blame for the comeback? Not The Rock. Not Dwayne Johnson.

WWE.

Reason being? You remember the night he came back and absolutely captivated the audience? WWE even gave him a full 30 minutes of airtime that night. They would NEVER do that to anyone on the current roster, because a) nobody outside of maybe Punk has that kind of communication level with the crowd in today's WWE, and b) even if they DID, WWE has for the last I'd say 7-8 years (or however long they've been main eventers), focused all of their attention and efforts into making John Cena and Randy Orton (and to some extent Dave Batista) into their new Rock/Austin/HHH trifecta, completely alienating the other talent they have who could easily be a part of the main event picture as well.

How long did it take for Edge to be in the main event? YEARS. And evn though for a time you had the likes of Jericho and some other veterans, what about the younger crop? What about Ziggler? What about Swagger? What about Ryder? What about Kofi? What about McIntyre...wasn't he supposed to be the "chosen one"? What about JoMo, R-Truth...the list is so long of talent who could be or could've been, that WWE in it's usual fashion squanders.

And don't give me any crap about how any one of them are "bland on the mic" or "sloppy in the ring" or whatever kind of smarky little excuses you might come up with, know-it-alls. The fact is, when Cena, Orton and Batista were still green, they too were as bland as they come. WWE gave them something to work with. They gave them the opportunity to grow into characters, time they haven't afforded to anyone else. most others have simply been thrusted into the spotlight to either succeed (Punk/Bryan) or fail (Kofi/Swagger), with no real creative direction. And even still, if Brock Lesnar had never left, you'd be talking about Cena the way you talk about Ryder now. He'd not be a major player...neither would be Orton in my opinion. They both were JOBBING to Brock in fact.

Anyway, my point is that WWE have notoriously and consistently had tunnel vision when it comes to building their stars since the Attitude Era. One of the major reasons that the AE was so great, aside from storylines and match quality, was you had multiple stars...and I mean stars. Not guys who're just in the match to be in the match, but bonafide, stand alone superstars who could hold their own. You rooted for Austin, who was the unanimous #1 guy, you were electrified by The Rock, you hated HHH, you were in awe of The Undertaker, you kind of pitied Mankind. Every title had something to it. D'Lo brown and X-pac were battling for the Intercontinental Title. Trish & Lita were the top Divas and putting on amazing matches. The Hardys and Dudleys were trying to kill each other for the Tag Titles...shall I go on?

That's the kind of wide-spanning detail the current WWE lacks, and it's not the fault of the roster, it's the fault of the company who fails to develop them time and again, to where they have to rely on Jericho coming back, Rock coming back, Brock coming back and maybe Batista coming back to generate the buzz their everyday workers can't...because they've never been given the time to as a select few have. The product will continue to suffer until they change this, and until they do we'll continue watching things like the OP and saying to ourselves "remember when WWE was that good?"

[/thread]

For whatever reason, WWE has not from a creative standpoint done much with any of the young talent they've had up until just lately...they've pretty much thrown the likes of Swagger and Kofi to the wolves like i said, and McIntyre really didn't get much help either if you think about it. Not everyone can cut their own path like Punk & DB did, and at the same time, Cena & Orton were babied to their positions in the company. It's a thin line, but one WWE hasn't crossed historically. I can go even further back name more people who could have been huge in WWE...but they don't take that plunge and whatever the reason, the product suffers from it in the end.

But if the WWE wasn't promoting new stars where did CM Punk, Danial Bryan and Sheamus come from? Its not just Cena, Orton, Edge and Triple H sharing the title anymore...

They have given guys a chance to run with it and it has varying degrees of sucecess... (Kane, Miz, Christian, Mark Henry, Del Rio)

Just because they keep throwing in Cena and ORton doesn't mean other guys aren't getting a run.

Yeah but look at their age. Sheamus is 33. D-Bryan is 31 and he is the youngest out of the guys you mentioned I believe. In few years they will be gone.

Yeah but look at their age. Sheamus is 33. D-Bryan is 31 and he is the youngest out of the guys you mentioned I believe. In few years they will be gone.

So? They can easily go up to 40, maybe 45. Zigler is 30 or 31 aswell and everyone wants him pushed (me included by the way) It's not like they have to retires as soon as they 40.

The problem isn't that they're not giving new stars the title, but they don't have anything for them afterwards. Look at Miz for example. He won the WWE championship and had a decent run with it, yet once he lost the title they didn't have anything else for him, and we went back to the same old stars as before. Just now is Miz actually relevant again.

They need to establish more main eventers and keep them there instead of shoving them back down into the mid card.

The problem isn't that they're not giving new stars the title, but they don't have anything for them afterwards. Look at Miz for example. He won the WWE championship and had a decent run with it, yet once he lost the title they didn't have anything else for him, and we went back to the same old stars as before. Just now is Miz actually relevant again.

They need to establish more main eventers and keep them there instead of shoving them back down into the mid card.

Couldn' t have said it better.

Couldn' t have said it better.

Exactly, look at Kofi Johnson Kingston.

But I think that has more to do with the fact that they should have never been "the man" in the first place. What you consider getting pushed back to the mid-card may be the wrestler actually going back to where he should have been along.

Some guys are just mid to upper-mid card guys... There is no shame in it. Wrestling absolutly HAS to have themto have a succesful wrestling shows. However, not everyone has all of the tools to be a world champion. It SHOULD be a rare breed; a handful of guys AT MOST. The problem I see with the IWC is that they want EVERYONE to be the world champion and take their turn.

Its the equivlant of letting everyone get a trophy for playing a sport or "certificates of appreciation". X-Pac was entertaining; good wroker... got decent heat (maybe not the right kind; but heat). There was a member in another thread that thought he should have been world champion. He also thought Dean Malenko deserved a shot. Malenko was a phenominal wrestler; absolute beast; but you can't say 5'7, no- charisma Dean Malenko should be a world champion.

It used to be a HUGE thing when the world champion changed... I'm talking World Series/World Cup big. It was an event that shifted the entire company because it was so rare and special. Now?...meh.

To illustrate my point.... How long do you think it took Sting to win the world title from Ric Flair? Look it up... Sting first recieved his shot at the 1st Clash of champions. He took Flair to a time-limit to draw (imagine an hours worth of wrestling on WWE tv or PPV this day and age)... How many years did he have to wait to finally win the title?

^ I agree and Jack Swagger is a perfect example of someone who shouldn't have been "the man" in the first place. The Miz is another person. While I prefer Miz (character-wise) over Swagger and a few others he doesn't have that appeal in the ring once he is off the microphone. I think WWE had better chances pushing guys like Morrison and Kofi Kingston (a 2nd time) to being "the man" who people on here say are not great on the mic but deliver in the ring which would eventually improve to their mic skills if lacking. I mention those two guys because when it's all said and done those guys were more than over with the crowd week in week out. Their mic skills didn't do it.. it was their in-ring work. The mic skills excuse just puts the in-ring talent to a standstill and blur. Not to mention these guys are scripted as how to act and what to say unlike a guy like CM Punk who is given more freedom. I just think people are stuck on the whole mic skills thing as far as being a top star.

Nowadays fans rather see someone they can relate to rather than some sugar coated make belief persona built around just having the mic skills or 'the look'... because after that superstar puts that mic down (with some of the best mic work you heard all year) it all comes down to what they do in that ring. A guy like The Miz can't make that transition from great mic skill to great in-ring performer. Some of these guys have good mic skills with their mat skills not matching up. The focus should start being the other way around.... if they are incredible in the ring (is what should come first) and then let them be themselves with a little twist of what kind of character they really want to portray to the world. Stop the written scripts because that just holds most of these talented guys back and IWC wil just paint them as just another wrestler with no charisma when in actuality it may be the whole scripted acting they have to do and what to say that's holding them back.

This. Exactly.

People constantly complain that its always the same main eventers... But the majority of the current main event stars weren't in that top position a year/two years ago.

Bryan and Punk are great examples of guys who have been pushed RIGHT. They weren't shot straight to the top just because the IWC wanted them there. They were developed over time.

And people complain that Barrett, Ziggler and Rhodes should be in the main event by now. Why? What's the rush? Yes, those guys have the potential to be top names in WWE. But that doesn't mean they have to be in the main event right now. As long as they all keep up the good work, they'll get there. Ziggler is in the brink of a World title run. Barrett could very well be in for a big push when he returns, and Cody is just doing what he does best until its his time to shine.

Not everyone can be in the spotlight at once. This is where TNA have gone wrong, because every time they get a new star, or every time the internet starts saying "We want this guy in the main event!" TNA drop their pants, bend over, and give the IWC what they want. And as a result they now how too many stars being pushed in their clusterf*ck of a main event scene.

WWE are building their stars perfectly. And they have a steady flow of new stars coming into the main event WHEN ITS NEEDED. They dont just push someone as soon as they get over with the crowd or as soon as the IWC start trying to push their weight around and make demands.

A good midcard is just as important as a good main event.

Archived