So this was just announced today:

SW13-Header.png

SW13-Lineup_4_03.png

They said it'd overtake Big Day Out as Australia's biggest music festival next year. Judging by the line up, they were right. Whoever's in charge of Soundwave keeps outdoing themselves every year. From names like Iron Maiden, to System of a Down and Slipknot, and now to Metallica. This festival is going to be absolutely nuts. Personally I'm not a fan of new Linkin Park, and I will never let Paramore touch my eardrums. With bands like blink-182, Sum 41, Stone Sour, Garbage, Mike Patton's Tomahawk, Kyuss Lives, Anthrax, Flogging Molly, Cancer Bats and Fozzy, I couldn't be happier to say "Shut up and take my money." I just want to know if any other Aussies, or anyone else in Australia at the time out there will be going/what everyone thinks of the line up so far. Just a little over 6 months away and I can't wait.

strong 'no care' vibes for most of upper bill. Pree stoked on TWY/CNCC! doe, tr00est of tr00 fggty pop punk vs. chilled fggty easycore bros! Wish they would sideshow that - they need dumber sideshows in general, would totally be down with Paramore/Periphery for example. will probs end up going regardless but not really feeling it yet. SW '10 has been the peak for me, was pretty great.

brb waiting for second announcement before paying overpriced ticket fees.

From those I know it's not a bad lineup. Better than what I saw of the next BDO at least. If anyone goes I'd recommend they try and catch Ghost.

I dunno though, I went to the early BDO's and some of the other festivals in Sydney as a young fella but I can't see how they could be the same now with the cops and their sniffing dogs ruining everyones fun. heh...

From those I know it's not a bad lineup. Better than what I saw of the next BDO at least. If anyone goes I'd recommend they try and catch Ghost.

I dunno though, I went to the early BDO's and some of the other festivals in Sydney as a young fella but I can't see how they could be the same now with the cops and their sniffing dogs ruining everyones fun. heh...

The sniffer dogs aren't inside the festival grounds, they just patrol the line. I for one don't even drink if I'm going into a mosh pit. I need my wits about me. It's also been getting better lineups, and has better people than BDO. The people you see at BDO nowadays are usually preppy morons who are just taking up space. 2 years ago these 2 preppy girls were standing in front of my girlfriend and I while we were watching Rammstein and they kept making stupid remarks. If we couldn't see over their heads, my gf said she would have tore into them.

Not into that type of music, but I would go for Fozzy.

It's been 7 years since I've seen Jericho do anything live down here (last time I hi fived him twice!). They're a must for me.

Tomahawk? Lucky Australians.

Patton's coming down here with Mondo Cane in 2 months as well. I might catch him then as well. That being said, I might save my money for a Tomahawk sideshow because they are incredible. I'd be incredibly happy if he brought Mr. Bungle back. I will forever dislike Anthony Kiedis because he is partly responsible for their break up.

Don't want to hijack your thread (maybe this thread could be an all in guide to Australia's summer festivals?) but All Tomorrow's Parties lineup has been announced

http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/all-tomorrows-parties-ill-be-your-mirror-2013-australia-lineup/

What ATP’s I’ll Be Your Mirror will bring to Australia

-my bloody valentine (1st Aus show since 1992!)

-Godspeed You! Black Emperor (1st ever Aus show),

-reformed original lineup of Beasts Of Bourbon

-Einstürzende Neubauten (1st Aus show since 1991!),

-Swans, The Dead C, Lost Animal, Thee Oh Sees, Harmony, HTRK,

-Sleepy Sun, Cam Butler & The Shadows of Love, Standish/Carlyon + many more!

I'd go to see MBV, original Beasts of Burbon, Einstürzende Neubauten, Swans, Dead C. That's actually kind of killer.

Don't want to hijack your thread (maybe this thread could be an all in guide to Australia's summer festivals?) but All Tomorrow's Parties lineup has been announced

http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/all-tomorrows-parties-ill-be-your-mirror-2013-australia-lineup/

What ATP’s I’ll Be Your Mirror will bring to Australia

-my bloody valentine (1st Aus show since 1992!)

-Godspeed You! Black Emperor (1st ever Aus show),

-reformed original lineup of Beasts Of Bourbon

-Einstürzende Neubauten (1st Aus show since 1991!),

-Swans, The Dead C, Lost Animal, Thee Oh Sees, Harmony, HTRK,

-Sleepy Sun, Cam Butler & The Shadows of Love, Standish/Carlyon + many more!

I'd go to see MBV, original Beasts of Burbon, Einstürzende Neubauten, Swans, Dead C. That's actually kind of killer.

That's a good idea. As soon as I get to a computer, I'll change it up :cool: ATP doesn't look too bad at all :)

Not bad at all really for a mixed music festival. Not flying 9 million miles to Australia for it... but if the festival replaced about half the bands on that line up with bands that I like as much as the other half on it, then it would be worth it!

Either way, your festivals are pretty good. Big Day Out, Soundwave... both kick the shit out of most of the ones we have here in Amuurica. I forget which tour it was (me thinks Mayhem fest or Rockstar Energy fest), but High on Fire was announced as being replaced by Emmure. That is the sort of bullshit we deal with in the states. :lol:

Also, I've never heard of Chunk, No, Captain Chunk. But that is a cool name reference. What style of music do they play?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hmm...bunch of stuff I hate, but some stuff I like. Still...I don't think I'd ever go to a festival like that. I prefer fests where the musicians are all fairly similar. Not meaning "same genre" necessarily...just a similar vibe. For example...folk, bluegrass, southern rock and reggae. Excellent combo. But with something like this, I think it's just too much different stuff. I don't think I'd care much for the crowd it would generate. I also think the headliners (Metallica, Linkin Park and Blink 182) are very overrated. Would be cool to see APC, Tomahawk, Ghost, Flogging Molly and Red Fang though.

As a young fella I went to a fair share of these festivals but as I grow older and more intolerant of masses of people I realise they're not for me.

I'm just excited for the FNM reunion. Sounds like there might be a new album too.

As a young fella I went to a fair share of these festivals but as I grow older and more intolerant of masses of people I realise they're not for me.

I'm beginning to feel the same way, and I'm only 25 (26 in October). I love the music, and I love the atmosphere (if it's a good one). I don't even mind sleeping in the mud. But the crowds of people get to be too much. I'm an introvert and I get overstimulated very easily if I don't get my quiet time every day. A four day festival with nothing but loud music and tens of thousands of people...plus the hours of travel either way...it's just a bit too much anymore.

For me it got so bad towards the end that being in that situation I couldn't get into the music at all. Either idiots talking or bumping into me distracted me from the performance. Then I started to think that to those people the music wasn't the main concern. The only reason they were there was for the experience.

$200 bucks too. In my eyes that $200 worth of records that I can enjoy long after all the mud and crud has been washed off and the ears have stopped rining. heh...

That's why I always get so drunk/baked that the only thing I can focus on is the music. I become comatose...just sit/stand there and take in everything. That's how I've always experienced festivals. Different story at solo shows...in which, I actually move around. But at festivals, I usually just block out everything that isn't the music or the lights, or whatever is directly related to the music. I usually get really drunk and focus on taking pictures of things that most people miss. And then people are like "sweet picture...I don't remember that happening".

I can't even get stoned around people anymore without being sick. Alone at home in my own enviroment I'm happy as a pig in shit but anyway away from there and I'm really a mess. Not a falling apart mess, I can still function and hold a conversation and whatnot I just generally choose not to. heh.. Anyway, I've seen a fair share of bands that I never thought I'd ever have the chance to see. I can retire from my music show life with a happy heart.

Archived