The end of good vs. evil?

.Sy™

This is something I had in mind for quite some time. John Cena, WWE's top face, gets booed and Bryan, WWE's top heel to date, gets cheered. That's not how wrestling's supposed to be though and is this a bigger problem than we all think it is?

Here's a really good Bleacher Report-article: http://bleacherrepor...egitimate-heels It's a long read but it's worth the time.

And now that CM Punk has seemingly turned heel, WWE has the chance to either create their possible next top heel (who'll get cheered by the adults though, no matter what) or create some sort of tweener-like, anti-hero persona, who gives the fans what they want to see (let's say, knocks out a returning John Laurinaitis, presents a revamped WWE Title design or I don't know, ice cream bars) but behaves despicably by attacking opponents from behind or after a match. Just an idea.

Because now It's going to be pretty hard to turn Punk into a full-blown heel, since adult/internet fans are persistent and cheer him either way (like Jericho or Bryan). I think only Lesnar really gets booed, but that's only because, in reality, he isn't passionate about wrestling (meaning real-life stuff). Punk would have to do something really heinous to become the most hated wrestler in the company.

Interesting topic, I was thinking the same thing lying in bed the other night (yes, I realise what a mark that makes me). It would be interesting to have a much more diverse cast of characters exploring more ideals, faiths, social and cultural backgrounds and the impact they could have on one another when two opposites attract or even retract in the way of alliances. You'd still have 'evil' actions or heel actions, but it would be because you don't agree with the person rather than the fact that they'd just be doing something because they are a heel.

I always found that odd. In Foley's first book he quotes something he was told while learning to play a heel (I think it was something Michael Hayes told him?). He said that a heel has to believe that his actions are justified, no matter how crazy they may be. As long as there's a reason then it's believable. Removing distinct lines between face and heel would further that and mean that every character on the roster would have to have a reason why they did any action that falls in line with their character or their eventual story arc.

Anyway, interesting indeed.

Like it or not, Cena is not going to turn heel unless there is a really good reason for it to happen. Not just because he gets booed by most of us when the product is aimed at the kids these days.

Cena is the best example of what every wrestler should be doing, transcending good/evil and just being himself.

Like it or not, Cena is not going to turn heel unless there is a really good reason for it to happen. Not just because he gets booed by most of us when the product is aimed at the kids these days.

Cena is the best example of what every wrestler should be doing, transcending good/evil and just being himself.

I agree, and I really like your idea. Don't just have a face and have him do things and say 'HEY HE'S THE GOOD GUY, CHEER HIM!', and the corresponding thing with heels. It's pretty one-dimensional if you think about it. I never liked when a heel would use dirty tactics and be booed, and insulted by commentators. But if it's a face who does it, they get cheered and the commentators commend it.

Have three-dimensional characters. Have guys who have a personality that can be liked OR disliked, depending on personal opinions. Have one guy be pussywhipped and nice, and another being a LAD. Have one diva be a slut and another be frigid, and let people decide who they like. Have more Cenas.

The problem is though that even though Cena transcends good and evil, which is great, WWE is still trying(after many years of failing) to shove him down our throats as a mega babyface. If they just let him go out there and be who he is, and let the crowd react however they like, then it wouldn't be as bad.

Interesting topic, I was thinking the same thing lying in bed the other night (yes, I realise what a mark that makes me). It would be interesting to have a much more diverse cast of characters exploring more ideals, faiths, social and cultural backgrounds and the impact they could have on one another when two opposites attract or even retract in the way of alliances. You'd still have 'evil' actions or heel actions, but it would be because you don't agree with the person rather than the fact that they'd just be doing something because they are a heel.

I always found that odd. In Foley's first book he quotes something he was told while learning to play a heel (I think it was something Michael Hayes told him?). He said that a heel has to believe that his actions are justified, no matter how crazy they may be. As long as there's a reason then it's believable. Removing distinct lines between face and heel would further that and mean that every character on the roster would have to have a reason why they did any action that falls in line with their character or their eventual story arc.

Anyway, interesting indeed.

Exactly. It would be something completely new. I'd really like to see that someday. That way, every wrestler would have to develop a character.

And sometimes I think about wrestling stuff as well before I fall asleep. You're not alone on that. :lol:

Smarks kill wrestling.

Not necessarily. Smarks kill wrestling as we know it by rooting for the bad guys. It's possible that smarks could very well be responsible for an evolution in pro wrestling.

I agree, and I really like your idea. Don't just have a face and have him do things and say 'HEY HE'S THE GOOD GUY, CHEER HIM!', and the corresponding thing with heels. It's pretty one-dimensional if you think about it. I never liked when a heel would use dirty tactics and be booed, and insulted by commentators. But if it's a face who does it, they get cheered and the commentators commend it.

Have three-dimensional characters. Have guys who have a personality that can be liked OR disliked, depending on personal opinions. Have one guy be pussywhipped and nice, and another being a LAD. Have one diva be a slut and another be frigid, and let people decide who they like. Have more Cenas.

The problem is though that even though Cena transcends good and evil, which is great, WWE is still trying(after many years of failing) to shove him down our throats as a mega babyface. If they just let him go out there and be who he is, and let the crowd react however they like, then it wouldn't be as bad.

Absolutely. The WWE can show as many Make-a-Wish clips as they want, Cena haters will still jeer at him. They should let it go.

December 15th, 1997: "Surely the era of "The superhero urge you to say your prayers and take your vitamins" is definitely, passe."

July 15th, 2012:

14358976.png

This.

AND IT JUST PROVES MY RUBBER BAND THEORY ABOUT THE ATTITUDE ERA. There's no more room left for innovation. They etiher have the good vs bad concept or the antihero.

Smarks little kids and their uptight parents kill wrestling.

I posted that video as a joke because your post reminded me of what Vince McMahon had said about "good guys versus bad guys."

I don't expect John Cena to turn heel until WWE is certain they have a new #1 guy. WWE obviously thinks Punk could fit that bill, but are playing it safe for now and probably will for the next couple years. I do think John Cena will eventually turn heel though, it is only inevitable. (Assuming he doesn't suddenly retire)

About the whole heels should get booed, and babyfaces should get cheered debate: I think that people should be able to cheer for whomever they want to. The fans do not ruin wrestling, the fans evolve wrestling and keep it current. Stone Cold Steve Austin, wasn't he supposed to be playing the heel? Also, wasn't Bret Hart was supposed to be a babyface, but didn't fans boo him and cheer Austin instead? Yes and if it wasn't for that I doubt Austin would have become so damn popular in the 1990s; and we would probably be watching WCW right now, instead of WWE.

I think that the era we are in is great in the fact that people can be different from one another. I mean, in what other era would half the people chant, "Let's go ____!" and the other half chant "____ sucks!" I think that is honestly a great thing. lol

no internet has killed wrestling

Lets rewind a little bit. Back in the 1930s, word got out that wrestling was staged. Wrestling instantly started to die out, and remained quite dead until the late 1940s. You see once wrestling got on television it instantly made a boom.

Fast forward to present day, wrestling and wrestling references are all over the internet. Non-wrestling fans even share some memes made by wrestling fans. Now with Twitter and Facebook there are millions that trend wrestling references all over the world. The internet hasn't killed wrestling, it has made it more socially relevant.

Lets rewind a little bit. Back in the 1930s, word got out that wrestling was staged. Wrestling instantly started to die out, and remained quite dead until the late 1940s. You see once wrestling got on television it instantly made a boom.

Fast forward to present day, wrestling and wrestling references are all over the internet. Non-wrestling fans even share some memes made by wrestling fans. Now with Twitter and Facebook there are millions that trend wrestling references all over the world. The internet hasn't killed wrestling, it has made it more socially relevant.

This. If not for the internet, wrestling wouldnt be nearly at the level it currently is.

I love your posts man

and ruined it buy leak all the info out people use to tune in to see what happens now all they need to do is look at a week before spoilers and how many really good angle were ruin cuz of the internet or debut or surpises

and ruined it buy leak all the info out people use to tune in to see what happens now all they need to do is look at a week before spoilers and how many really good angle were ruin cuz of the internet or debut or surpises

Dirt sheets and internet forums are only a small portion of the IWC. YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter are the largest part of it all.

Well then dont look....

The only fault for that is the people who decide to look at the spoilers in the first place.

not that wwe has change compete storylines cuz they got leaked it has nothing to do with people reading them or not

Not always the case. Jerichos first return was released early and even though Stephanie was pissed they went on with.

And that is a really odd reason anyway.

not that wwe has change compete storylines cuz they got leaked it has nothing to do with people reading them or not

Not always the case. Jerichos first return was released early and even though Stephanie was pissed they went on with.

And that is a really odd reason anyway.

well yeah cuz it jericho he to big to just call it off

Archived