Question: Were the Hart Foundation a part of The Attitude Era?

Storm of Sand

Lately I've really been getting into The 90's era Hart Foundation with Bret Hart, Owen Hart, "British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith, Jim Neidhart and Brian Pillman. Now obviously, they were around until 1997, until Bret and the rest of his family(except Owen) left for WCW.

Now here's the question, were the Hart Foundation from the 90's a part of the Attitude Era?

Some people have said The Attitude Era began in 1998, after The Hart Foundation was done, but others have said it began either in 1996 or 1997 when Austin 3:16 began.

Personally I think they were around at just the begining of The Attitude Era as I think it did begin with the Austin 3:16 promo. But again I'm not too knowledgeable in wrestling history.

So what I'm saying is, do you think The Hart Foundation were there at the begining of the Attitude Era? or did the WWE(or WWF as it was known as back then) have the Hart Foundation not have anything to do with that era at all?

"WWE has variously given the 1996 King of the Ring,[1]Survivor Series 1997[2] (the WWF Attitude logo was first used in a vignette at this event), and WrestleMania XIV on March 29, 1998,[3] as the starting point of the era.

^ From wikipedia. I would personally say that it started when they first used the attitude logo...so, SS 97, but it's really just a personal opinion. I think people would be hard-pressed to determine when the other eras started and ended as well. It's just one of those things that transitions naturally as opposed to having a definitive start or end.

"WWE has variously given the 1996 King of the Ring,[1]Survivor Series 1997[2] (the WWF Attitude logo was first used in a vignette at this event), and WrestleMania XIV on March 29, 1998,[3] as the starting point of the era.

^ From wikipedia. I would personally say that it started when they first used the attitude logo...so, SS 97, but it's really just a personal opinion. I think people would be hard-pressed to determine when the other eras started and ended as well. It's just one of those things that transitions naturally as opposed to having a definitive start or end.

1996 it was still new generation, ie Vince screaming out his lungs "Shawn Michaels, the leader of the new WWF Generation"

Alot of people have varying opinions on when the Attitude era began, I'd say...97, formally, with 96 as a transitional period. So yeah I'd count them as being apart of it. Usually when I consider the start of the Atttitude era it's Mania 13, where Bret had Austin in the Sharpshooter and both guys switched from face to heel and vice versa.

I'd say yes. I've actually been re-watching all the 1997 episodes of Raw and Vince kept referencing HBK and Stone Cold's "attitude" when on commentary.

Plus if your inquiry concerns WWE 13 and the Hart Foundations inclusion in the game, I think both THQ and WWE would love to have them in but Owen's inclusion is obviously going to be difficult to achieve, not too sure about Pillman either.

There's never going to be a definitive answer to this because everyone has a different opinion as to when the Attitude Era began. Personally I thought it started at WrestleMania XIV when Stone Cold won his first WWE title so I would say no but there are others that would say it started in 1996/1997. I think they played more of a role of setting the foundation for the Era right before it began.

There's never going to be a definitive answer to this because everyone has a different opinion as to when the Attitude Era began. Personally I thought it started at WrestleMania XIV when Stone Cold won his first WWE title so I would say no but there are others that would say it started in 1996/1997. I think they played more of a role of setting the foundation for the Era right before it began.

It is true people will argue, but it can't be argued that the attitude era didn't officially start until the WWF started using the attitude logos.

1996 it was still new generation, ie Vince screaming out his lungs "Shawn Michaels, the leader of the new WWF Generation"

I say:

1993 - transitional year after the Hulkamania/Rock 'n Wrestling/Golden era

1994-1996 - New Generation era

1997 - transitional year

1998-2001 Attitude era

2002 - transitional year before the Ruthless Aggression era

There's no definite date or anything like that. At least nothing official. Some people say the Attitude era started at King of the Ring '96 when Austin won and gave his famous speech. I don't agree with that, because there was still the rest of 1996 and all of 1997 where WCW was beating WWF in the ratings. When I think of Attitude era, I think of the time period where they changed their company and their philosophy and started turning the tables on WCW.

I'd say it was the end of 1997/beginning of 1998. After the Montreal Screwjob, WWF looked dead in the water to most people. Mick Foley has said in a shoot that during this time period, Vince admitted backstage that the times had passed him by, and he wasn't on the cutting edge anymore, the way he was during the original WWF/MTV cross promotion days. Being almost put out of business by WCW at this point, he agreed to push the envelope and let his product be more edgy. Vince went on raw and did this promo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HznErMk97B4

To go back to your original question, I say the Attitude era started after the screwjob, so Bret was in WCW by that point. But the Hart Foundation faction laid the groundwork and planted some of the seeds for the Attitude era. The way you couldn't tell a good guy from a bad guy in the cookie cutter way you could in the past, how they would be cheered in one location and booed in another.

I say:

1993 - transitional year after the Hulkamania/Rock 'n Wrestling/Golden era

1994-1996 - New Generation era

1997 - transitional year

1998-2001 Attitude era

2002 - transitional year before the Ruthless Aggression era

There's no definite date or anything like that. At least nothing official. Some people say the Attitude era started at King of the Ring '96 when Austin won and gave his famous speech. I don't agree with that, because there was still the rest of 1996 and all of 1997 where WCW was beating WWF in the ratings. When I think of Attitude era, I think of the time period where they changed their company and their philosophy and started turning the tables on WCW.

I'd say it was the end of 1997/beginning of 1998. After the Montreal Screwjob, WWF looked dead in the water to most people. Mick Foley has said in a shoot that during this time period, Vince admitted backstage that the times had passed him by, and he wasn't on the cutting edge anymore, the way he was during the original WWF/MTV cross promotion days. Being almost put out of business by WCW at this point, he agreed to push the envelope and let his product be more edgy. Vince went on raw and did this promo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HznErMk97B4

To go back to your original question, I say the Attitude era started after the screwjob, so Bret was in WCW by that point. But the Hart Foundation faction laid the groundwork and planted some of the seeds for the Attitude era. The way you couldn't tell a good guy from a bad guy in the cookie cutter way you could in the past, how they would be cheered in one location and booed in another.

Thats the problem with that promo. We re supposed to be fed up with the good guy/bad guy scenario? Well without it wrestling wouldnt work. You need heels and faces. Otherwise the Austin/Corporation feud wouldnt of worked.

Archived