Official Destination X 2012 PPV Discussion Thread

Lol.. Anybody notice Zema might be bad luck sometimes? It might just be me but he was in the match where Sorrenson got hurt, Sabin and Sonjay. It wasn't his fault, I'm just saying because it was a random though that came to me. I don't dislike Zema's ability, He needs to get rid of the hairspray gimmick and that annoying bright attire...

Sonjays injury was due to him moonsaulting into the ring ropes but I understand were your coming from, neck, knee and shoulder, next will be busted ribs I put money on it, I would say ruptured testicle but its already happened to Cameron (anyone reading thinking he did, its a joke lol)

I hate Zema's gimmick overall, I would love him to have a "I injure people" gimmick which he had for a week after but have him say now he injured them both by purpose hell have a shirt which has Injury's Only Natural, his gimmick people cannot take him serious, its like a mix between Orlando Jordan (Rob Terry nipple stickers not included) and arrogant/cocky, he should have a serious side but his attire is a year old and his hairspray is feminine, you can't be serious and feminine but you can be seriously feminine lol

Anyone realise that in a year Aries becomes World Champ but Zema is only X-Division and there the only two who got signed from the finals

People haven't said this but they gave Ion the title because there starting off the Jesse/Ion feud which absolutely sucks, there will be Sorrenson updates but Ion has been barely on TV in recent months so there making him champ so we don't forget him, worst idea in the world starting a feud when the guys not long broke his neck, when was Ion last significant? his feud with Nese and that was ages ago

Can someone please tell me how Zema wasn't at fault for Sorrenson, he moonsault double knee'd the top of his head, it was unfortunate yes but landing your knees on his head is still on you

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure I'd class Ion's gimmick the same as Orlando Jordan. To me it's more old school "The Model" Rick Martel.

I watched the documentary called Slammed inside Indy wrestling (I think that's what it was called) and it shows Ion trying out for ROH and he seems pretty decent. TNA just haven't really focused on him since Aries became champion... Theyve not really focused in anyone.

If kid kash or Williams had won it would be the same problem of someone winning who hasn't been used much on tv.

The new guys winning, maybe they felt it would make TNA look weak if an outsider came in and won the belt making it look like outsiders are better than TNA talent?

There was also a lot of criticism about how little TNA spent building a character for the new faces so we could cheer or boo them. Rasheed Cameron basically did it himself and pushed himself over as a heel, but the other guys really needed a little background video piece talking about how they came to TNA etc.

But then, how many of them are actually going to get a contract and stay? You can't do it for those who are staying and do nothing for those who won't as it makes it too obvious.

I like that ion became champ. He's a heel so we can get behind a face and get a pop when they defeat him. I doubt they're going to wait until Jesse returns to have ion drop the belt. I think they're just using it to remind us what happened and add extra heel heat to Ion.

I see sonjay and Cameron feuding and that leaves king to go after ion and I think that win would make king a bigger star than a win in the ultimate x match.

I'm not sure I'd class Ion's gimmick the same as Orlando Jordan. To me it's more old school "The Model" Rick Martel.

I watched the documentary called Slammed inside Indy wrestling (I think that's what it was called) and it shows Ion trying out for ROH and he seems pretty decent. TNA just haven't really focused on him since Aries became champion... Theyve not really focused in anyone.

If kid kash or Williams had won it would be the same problem of someone winning who hasn't been used much on tv.

The new guys winning, maybe they felt it would make TNA look weak if an outsider came in and won the belt making it look like outsiders are better than TNA talent?

There was also a lot of criticism about how little TNA spent building a character for the new faces so we could cheer or boo them. Rasheed Cameron basically did it himself and pushed himself over as a heel, but the other guys really needed a little background video piece talking about how they came to TNA etc.

But then, how many of them are actually going to get a contract and stay? You can't do it for those who are staying and do nothing for those who won't as it makes it too obvious.

I like that ion became champ. He's a heel so we can get behind a face and get a pop when they defeat him. I doubt they're going to wait until Jesse returns to have ion drop the belt. I think they're just using it to remind us what happened and add extra heel heat to Ion.

I see sonjay and Cameron feuding and that leaves king to go after ion and I think that win would make king a bigger star than a win in the ultimate x match.

There's a difference between being a model and Ion's gimmick, Ion has a more feminine gimmick which is why I brought up Jordan because hes the most recent, look at all the other model gimmicks, they show off themselves, his spraying the hair spray as he does a cut throat taunt looks just plain awful possibly the worst taunt in wrestling history and the only people who use hair spray in matchs are women, it seems just a uncomfortable gimmick and something that doesn't work, I would love for him to have a overhaul of his gimmick, no matter how good you are in ring if you have a awful gimmick people aren't going to like you, I liked Ion last year but then its gone downhill gradually to where I actually can't stand him

I could tell who was face and who was heel in the tournaments without there promo's, the faces were Mason Andrews, Rubix, Sonjay Dutt, Flip Casanova and Kenny King (probably more tweener) the heels were Only, Darsow and Cameron

There's a difference between being a model and Ion's gimmick, Ion has a more feminine gimmick which is why I brought up Jordan because hes the most recent, look at all the other model gimmicks, they show off themselves, his spraying the hair spray as he does a cut throat taunt looks just plain awful possibly the worst taunt in wrestling history and the only people who use hair spray in matchs are women, it seems just a uncomfortable gimmick and something that doesn't work, I would love for him to have a overhaul of his gimmick, no matter how good you are in ring if you have a awful gimmick people aren't going to like you, I liked Ion last year but then its gone downhill gradually to where I actually can't stand him

I'm like the total opposite to you. I despised him when he first started in TNA but once he became heel and started to push his gimmick further into this metrosexual model gimmick I started to like him. I know in wrestling women tend to use sprays, but I don't think that makes it exclusive to females. I mean beer drinking tends to be exclusive to male wrestlers and yet we have ODB doing something similar.

Another point is how back in the old days wrestling used to reflect society. So you had sgt slaughter during the Iraq years and during the attitude era it was all shock tv... I just view Ion's gimmick as something that reflects today's world. More and more men use sprays, tans, make up and loads of other crap I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. So i don't see his gimmick as something strange and uncomfotable... It's just become the norm to see all this.

I actually really like his cut throat spray taunt too, It's different.

I could tell who was face and who was heel in the tournaments without there promo's, the faces were Mason Andrews, Rubix, Sonjay Dutt, Flip Casanova and Kenny King (probably more tweener) the heels were Only, Darsow and Cameron

My point was there wasn't really a reason for us to cheer wrestler A over wrestler B. Cameron really played up being a heel, sonjay and king played to the fans so were obviously good guys.

I don't recall the rest doing much more.

Aries vs Roode worked because we had a backstory to follow. Even Joe vs angle had history there that you could get behind. I think a bit of backstory to build everyone could have helped the ppv and helped the fans get into the action more. Sonjay had some, talking about how he never won the title and was here to correct that mistake. It makes you root for him.

Lars only... He gave me nothing to get behind.

I think winning a title means more when you have a history and a story rather than just walking in the door and winning the belt.

I think king and sonjay stand to gain more defeating a cocky heel like ion over winning the belt and then defending against a heel.

I mean, I doubt that Aries successfully defending his world title against someone next month will get the pop and reaction he got winning it at destination x.

I'm like the total opposite to you. I despised him when he first started in TNA but once he became heel and started to push his gimmick further into this metrosexual model gimmick I started to like him. I know in wrestling women tend to use sprays, but I don't think that makes it exclusive to females. I mean beer drinking tends to be exclusive to male wrestlers and yet we have ODB doing something similar.

Another point is how back in the old days wrestling used to reflect society. So you had sgt slaughter during the Iraq years and during the attitude era it was all shock tv... I just view Ion's gimmick as something that reflects today's world. More and more men use sprays, tans, make up and loads of other crap I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. So i don't see his gimmick as something strange and uncomfotable... It's just become the norm to see all this.

I actually really like his cut throat spray taunt too, It's different.

My point was there wasn't really a reason for us to cheer wrestler A over wrestler B. Cameron really played up being a heel, sonjay and king played to the fans so were obviously good guys.

I don't recall the rest doing much more.

Aries vs Roode worked because we had a backstory to follow. Even Joe vs angle had history there that you could get behind. I think a bit of backstory to build everyone could have helped the ppv and helped the fans get into the action more. Sonjay had some, talking about how he never won the title and was here to correct that mistake. It makes you root for him.

Lars only... He gave me nothing to get behind.

I think winning a title means more when you have a history and a story rather than just walking in the door and winning the belt.

I think king and sonjay stand to gain more defeating a cocky heel like ion over winning the belt and then defending against a heel.

I mean, I doubt that Aries successfully defending his world title against someone next month will get the pop and reaction he got winning it at destination x.

He went from a big afro type whatever hair do to something that looks like something a woman who has really short hair has, its the whole look, the only thing thats changed is his hair and his gimmick, he looks like Fatima Whitbread ala like a lesbian and on top of that he has and uses hair spray, his attire is that of a face, if he dropped the hairspray and got more serious i'd more then likely love him and probably everyone will like him more

And cheering Wrestler A over Wrestler B, I can bet that nobody knew who the hell Flip Casanova was in the Impact zone, he still got a pop because of the way he acted, if you come out smiling and happy and nobody knows who you are they'll cheer for you, if you come out stern faced having a go at the fans they'll boo you, its like panto, you can get a feeling who's heel or who's face then in-ring and promo's back up those claims, Flip didn't even get a promo at the end but everyone knew he was a face

The whole point of the tournament was to bring in X-Division guys due to the lack of X-Division guys on the TNA roster, it was last year but this year it had the title on the line and (1) X-Division wrestlers, in that month Zema Ion competed in one average match, they had Kenny King in one match, a backstage moment with Aries and a promo, he was even in a backstage interview with the three guys which Roode interrupted, Zema was nowhere, they didn't build him, Williams or Kash up that whole month, hell they didn't even qualify for the tournament, he then beat the weakest qualified new person in the tournament, this has done nothing to the X-Division making Zema win the title, they may as well as had given it to Kash or Williams, the whole Destination X is to showcase the X-division talent thats been brought in or what TNA has, Zema Ion was massively underused, he hadn't appeared since the Impact after Slammiversary (and that was a one in a blue moon he was on Impact) and has had tons of failed attempts at getting the X-Division title, if he was deserving of the X-Division title he would be appearing in the build up to the PPV but he was nowhere to be seen, Sonjay and King were favourites and would of brought massively to the X-Division, Zema Ion has a job, its still unsure if one or two or all of them are being signed, the worst thing is that they only gave Zema the title to make the feud which will happen in half a year more then likely more revalent yet didn't hint at the feud when it first happen, a month after it happened, not two months after but five months after it happened like I had said multiple times TNA shit the bed giving Zema the title because it was the biggest let down in TNA history for me, all that build up, all that talent and boom there's no pay off, there just thinking off a feud which isn't happening anytime soon

They've mention jesse's neck often during Ion's matches. It was that accident which projected ion into his current gimmick and the neck spray taunt came from the broken neck.

I doubt they even knew If Jesse was going to return for months too so I think it pointless to over hype a possible future feud if he couldn't walk or wrestle ever again.

What's so bad about them thinking long term too and dropping some foundation for a feud later in the year? They're hardly going to have Jesse and ion have confrontation every week for 6 plus months. I think it's just a way to add to his heel heat and later they'll feud. For now ion can play up his neckbreaker role against the new faces and when he loses the title he can feud with Jesse without the belt and it will still mean something.

If one of your issues is he shouldn't have won as he's hardly been on tv. Well it's the same for everyone else too. The new faces even more.

Your still missing my point about the new guys though. Yes smiling or telling the fans they suck makes you an obvious face/heel. But there is no emotional connection behind all that. If it was as simple as smiles and frowns to get yourself over with the fans they'd all be doing it.

If they'd shown flip talking about his past, things he's overcome, his style, what he wants to bring to TNA. Fans can get behind those things and if he won, it's a big mark out moment. "YES that guy I wanted to win, who struggled to get here, who had rejection after rejection... He's made it!"

Instead we get "oh that guy smiles a lot... Wait that other guy smiles too... Well let's hope they win I guess".

I watched TNA before the bell before the ppv and the scenes with Aries in built an amazing back story. How he basically had retired from wrestling and came to TNA just for one of two nights. I think anyone who watched that and supported Aries at the ppv would of had a much bigger reaction to him winning the belt than someone who only saw Aries and roode smiling and frowning during their entrances.

I think sonjay has a great backstory the fans can get behind

Kenny king has that ROH story for fans to get behind

Rasheed Cameron built his own story in his promo about the Rasheed Cameron movement.

They could have just done with an extra week or two to tease some heat between the wrestlers so it wasn't so generic. What was it, 4 x division matches back to back? After the first, without any heat on the matches it just felt like guys going out and hitting spots. It's like watching a best ladder matches DVD. After the first few, the wow factor is lost on you.

Actually Ion was hairspraying and all that before Jesse's injury and after Jesse's injury Ion's gimmick hasn't changed or advanced unless you count the cut throat taunt as advancing, same Ion, same stupid gimmick and same hairspraying to win tactics

With Jesse's injury they actually knew it wasn't a serious neck injury as weeks later he was actually released from hospital and his progression so far has been great, with the laying down the foundations TNA already did that with the Jesse promo and the showdown at the bottom of the ramp

You obviously don't get what im saying with the smiling and that, a lot of people don't know King, Casanova, Only (I didn't), Andrews, Rubix, Cameron or Darsow, if they came down with a blank expression people wouldn't know, they had a match, they had a promo, they had a backstage segment, they had a post show (or whatever show) interviewing Rubix, Sonjay, Cameron and Andrews (dunno if they had it for the next 4) they had a Impact interview with JB, they have had air time, they've had a match, all off them who qualified got to say there intentions after the match, you making out like that everyone needs to have a few minutes each to cut a promo, there fighting for a job, they shown what they do in the ring, said there piece multiple times yet you still need to have a gutcheck last chance promo from them, you do realise that every indy guys promo's will be similar, we all know that they have busted there ass on the circuit for years and now TNA can help them achieve there dreams, I don't want that BS I want to see them wrestle, if they get in TNA then yes lets hear it otherwise no, your comment is based around THE BUILD UP TO THE MAIN EVENT TO A PPV PEOPLE PAYED TO WATCH you forget they have put Aries as the underdog, facing tough decisions and overcoming them is what a underdog does, hes going to talk about that, there not pushing King/Dutt/Whoever to the main event so why would they have that

There was no heat against the wrestlers, three faces and one heel advanced and don't forget this was a "spur of the moment thing" due to Aries dropping his belt, it happened in two weeks were the last one was 4 weeks and we didn't get massive speechs from them, we got one match and one after match promo everyone rooted for there favourite still and nobody was pissed that Aries won, TNA have brought in people, the fans got behind majority of them and dropped there momentum to give it to a guy who has been barely on TV (once every other month), has no momentum, didn't qualify, no promo and after the fans were chanting transitional, thats someone you put the belt on, you go from the best X-Division champion to someone your fans have no faith in, heel or not, Jesse build up feud or not, it was the wrong move, thats not just my opinion

and your comment with if you watched one you saw them all is utter tosh obviously you was watching something else because I saw four matchs that had all different elements to them,a suicide dive, a springboard whatever thats going to happen because there that type of wrestler and its that type of PPV, I didn't get bored with those matchs and I don't see anyone else saying what you said, its like getting annoyed with the lockdown PPV because there all cages "well i've seen one so i've seen them all" it wasn't just people flying around the ring mindlessly, I cannot stress how wrong you are on this

Ion's gimmick has got him this far, it's the same gimmick and ring ability that got him noticed by ROH, DGUSA, and Evolve. Why end something that's gotten him so far? I don't really see anything feminine about it, there's a difference between feminine and metro. And using a spray can to spray in your hair is nothing like walking around half naked in caution tape, spraying whipped cream all over yourself.

He doesn't end his matches with the spray can though. They did the spot at DX (which was horrible) but that's it.

I give up with you rock. You've now started dishing my points, putting words into my mouth to argue with and are now resorting to telling me my opinion is wrong! so clearly you're just trolling now or have an emotional issue related to men using hair spray.

Whatever your issue is, I'm not going to entertain it any longer.

Hes won a few

He doesn't end his matches with the spray can though. They did the spot at DX (which was horrible) but that's it.

I give up with you rock. You've now started dishing my points, putting words into my mouth to argue with and are now resorting to telling me my opinion is wrong! so clearly you're just trolling now or have an emotional issue related to men using hair spray.

Whatever your issue is, I'm not going to entertain it any longer.

You obviously don't or haven't watched Impact, hes used the hairspray on multiple occasions to win, he has used the hairspray on Aries which is one of the must recent in and out of the ring and even used it and Aries ducked it and it caught Brian Hebner so yeah you are wrong, thats a fact

I love when people just have no reply then have a go at the person for "trolling", you bring your points, I counter them, you counter mine and so on, I haven't put words in your mouth, were did I do that because all i've done was countered what you said and your opinion on those X-Division matchs were wrong, you made out they all were the same when they clearly weren't, you are the only one with that opinion but yeah keep face because you got nothing to say after I said everything that needed to be said, don't want a discussion or a argument as you call it then don't reply and yeah whatever call me a trol, no skin off my nose, i've said all I needed to say you can go back to that alternative Impact land you've been living in

I did/do have a reply but like I said, it's just not worth it. Obviously I'm contradicting myself here by bothering with this but let's just get some facts straight shall we.

I said;

It was that accident which projected ion into his current gimmick and the neck spray taunt came from the broken neck.

To which you replied;

Actually Ion was hairspraying and all that before Jesse's injury and after Jesse's injury Ion's gimmick hasn't changed or advanced unless you count the cut throat taunt

Telling me that 'actually ion did use the hairspray before the neck injury'... When did I say he didn't? I told you that it was after the injury that he started the cut throat spray, they've been dropped hints at him and Jesse ever since the injury. not like you claim, ingored it completely for months. At no point do I say he didn't use spray at all... So there you go, putting words in my mouth and telling me I'm wrong. It's just not worth bothering with someone who does that. But of course here I am bothering so whatever...

With Jesse's injury they actually knew it wasn't a serious neck injury as weeks later he was actually released from hospital and his progression so far has been great, with the laying down the foundations TNA already did that with the Jesse promo and the showdown at the bottom of the ramp

I don't follow what your point is here.

Your first point was;

the worst thing is that they only gave Zema the title to make the feud which will happen in half a year more then likely more revalent yet didn't hint at the feud when it first happen, a month after it happened, not two months after but five months after it happened like I had said multiple times TNA shit the bed giving Zema the title because it was the biggest let down in TNA history for me, all that build up, all that talent and boom there's no pay off, there just thinking off a feud which isn't happening anytime soon

I think they gave it to him for numerous reasons.

1) He's a heel and it's more fun with a heel champ and a babyface to get behind and pop when he defeats the nasty bad guy

2) He's been in TNA for a year or so now so he's paid his dues, he's been on Xplosions and house shows and from what I hear has been putting on great matches at those events.

3) He's a TNA talent, not a roh guy or wwe cast off who won the belt ... they're finally building their own stars now.

4) As a heel champ this gives them a reason top use him on tv, to cut promos and develop him further. If he was the heel chasing a face champion, they couldn't give him ring promos and develop him as much.

And like I originally said, it lays ground work for a future match with Jesse. So back to...

They did the ground work turning Ion heel, having the cut throat spray taunt, having the announcers talk about how he's shown no remorse and he's not contacted Jesse at all... this was months ago. And this was you countering me saying that At the PPV they advanced it forward some more by having them face off during Ion's entrance and then both of their promos. I'm lost here. i'm saying it's good they're planning things long term, dropping the next step here and there and not rushing the storyline and you're countering that by telling me the same thing?

whatever...

The next thing you said about the X div guys smiling... I get to that later but something did catch my eye...

your comment is based around THE BUILD UP TO THE MAIN EVENT TO A PPV PEOPLE PAYED TO WATCH you forget they have put Aries as the underdog, facing tough decisions and overcoming them is what a underdog does, hes going to talk about that, there not pushing King/Dutt/Whoever to the main event so why would they have that

Um what?

My comment is based on... check this crazy schitt out.... it's bosed on 'basic wrestling logic'. I know crazy!

I'll try to explain this to you as simply as possible so you understand it.

You build hype for ALL of your matches so the entire ppv is hyped and the fans are buying the shows for more than just the main event. You give them as many reasons as possible to want to see the matches... ALL the matches.

By the logic of 'why would you do that for people not in the main event' wrestling shows and ppvs would only showcase main event talent and everyone else would just turn up at the ppv smiling or frowning (that's important apparently) for exhibition matches.

In my world... which is apparently a fantasy world. Promotors hype as many matches as possible, you develop storylines for lots of matches and try to plan them all so they come to an end at a ppv.

I guess we have completely different opinions on how wrestling should and does work though?

TNA have brought in people, the fans got behind majority of them and dropped there momentum to give it to a guy who has been barely on TV (once every other month), has no momentum, didn't qualify, no promo and after the fans were chanting transitional, thats someone you put the belt on, you go from the best X-Division champion to someone your fans have no faith in, heel or not, Jesse build up feud or not, it was the wrong move, thats not just my opinion

Let's first recall me saying that I feel they could have done with a few extra weeks to build to this ppv and also should have developed the people in the matches more. So that would have given them time to have these things on tv.

Now... Not being on tv isn't really a valid point is it. Unless you're brain dead or have the memory of a goldfish? Come on, the new faces have NEVER been on TNA tv prior to this ppv build (Well King was and there's always a chance the others have like Darsaw was around last year)... but still It's a mute point using tv time against Ion when the rest have had FAR less tv time.

At least Ion has been on tv and has been in TNA for over a year and has worked hard to stay in the company. This is his reward. It shows that someone who was in TNA... who wasn't even winning his matches regularly and hasn't been on tv much... is STILL better than the best indy guys out there. TNA talent > other talent is the message.

The 'fans' chanting transition. Seriously you're going to bring that up? Those pieces of dog muck standing behind the camera were smarky idiots. They're not fans. And it was a small group of idiots, not the entire arena or even half or it. You get morons like this at every event... so should we start listening to their opinions more and more? When Joseph Park comes out and a fan shouts 'You're Abyss'. What then? Does that make Park's character a failure and show the fans have no faith in the story?

Of course not... a bunch of smarks trying to look cool on tv aren't worth listening to. They're scum.

-----------

Now before that you also mentioned something about the build to the ppv for the X Div faces. how they had air time, had a build, how their stories would all be the same. (should ignore that comment as it further proves my point about how they were a bit samey right? Because without the charatcer development, they're all the same type of thing)

Anyway...

I wasn't asking for a full on promo the same level Aries vs Roode got for the main event (as you shouted about). Im talking something like before the entrance just show footage of them on the indies doing big spots or acting heelish and have them cut a quick promo before the match promising what they will do.

The post match promos were okay... Well except for flip who just stood there like an absolute idiot frowning at thin air. Frowning... so he's a bad guy right? But that's closing the gate after the horse had bolted. Cut a big face promo after the match we should have been cheering you in.

The ppv backstage promo was very brief and then they had roode bury them all with his promo which ruined the segment. It made them look weak.. they just stood there taking the insults.

I also didn't ask for a gut check promo, a huge segment like Aries vs roode.. Just something to develop the lesser known faces other than smiling.

My point was matches feel better with a history to follow rather than 2 people you've never seen wrestling standing smiling of frowning and doing spotty moves. Again... If it was that simple then everyone would be doing it and indy wrestling would be where the big money is.

Joe vs angle is a good example, they did a brief promo talking about their history, they had a face off backstage one week.. At the ppv the fans get into it.

Surely you'd agree the x matches would have been ever so slightly more interesting if we knew who faced who at the ppv (this goes into how i'm saying they should have developed it better and could have done with an extra week or two) Rasheed had got into a pull apart brawl with sonjay before the ppv and threatened him and if Kenny king after winning his qualifying match got into an argument with Doug Williams and then had Flip be a heel and invade whoever it was who qualified after him because he didn't get an interview and then that sparks some pushing and nose to nose arguing.

Now at the ppv these guys have heat on them and it's more than just 'oh that guy is a smiler and he's doing flips... Let's cheer for him'

and your comment with if you watched one you saw them all is utter tosh obviously you was watching something else because I saw four matchs that had all different elements to them,a suicide dive, a springboard whatever thats going to happen because there that type of wrestler and its that type of PPV, I didn't get bored with those matchs and I don't see anyone else saying what you said, its like getting annoyed with the lockdown PPV because there all cages "well i've seen one so i've seen them all" it wasn't just people flying around the ring mindlessly, I cannot stress how wrong you are on this

Right lets go through this as it brought a smile to my face a few times.

So it's utter tosh that the matches felt samey in 'MY OPINION'. Yet you then say how seeing the same moves will happen as its that type of ppv. So what exactly is your point here? that every match was COMPLETELY different and the spots were all unique and nothing was repeated which in effect would water down the wow factor....or are you claiming matches were samey but thats because thats the type of ppv it was?

The matches feeling samey. That's MY opinion. Do you actually understand that? that was MY opinion. Yet you're not saying you enjoyed them and leaving it there, or maybe telling me 'but in match 2 they did this spot and in match 3 they did this different spot which mixed it up'. No no... you're actually telling me my opinion is wrong. That's insane you can't comprehend what an opinion means.

I'm saying i wish they had done A B and C. You're telling me that 'I'm wrong!' I'm explaining myself further and you're then saying I'm wrong again? So the PPV was perfection was it? Adding a story to the new faces and getting them some heat and having them face off or something wouldn't have added anything? Why am I even asking this question... you've already told me your answer.. I'm wrong in thinking this.

I didn't get bored with those matchs and I don't see anyone else saying what you said, its like getting annoyed with the lockdown PPV because there all cages "well i've seen one so i've seen them all" it wasn't just people flying around the ring mindlessly, I cannot stress how wrong you are on this

No one else is saying what I'm saying so therefore I must be wrong? Is an opinion only valid when others share the same opinion?

That's pathetic logic and is also incorrect. A quick google search brings up results showing 411mania mention in multiple write ups that the first hours of impact with the x division guys and the opening few matches of the ppv felt samey and the lack of character development hurt them. Prowrestling.net also had the same opinion on their multiple write ups and articles.

That doesn't make my opinion more valid though. It's just showing that I'm not the only one with that opinion like you claimed. Am I the only on here saying that? Yes.. but the world doesn't revolve around this single site.

Also, whats the point of bringing up lockdown, a ppv that always gets criticized for having too many cage matches which eventually gets a little dull and they always do a cage match preview on impact the week before the ppv which further ruins the wow factor at the ppv?

Because you don't feel that way so therefore anyone who does is wrong? Oh right...

I cannot stress how wrong you are on this

Well I fully agree with you there... you CAN'T stress how wrong my opinion is..

You obviously don't or haven't watched Impact, hes used the hairspray on multiple occasions to win, he has used the hairspray on Aries which is one of the must recent in and out of the ring and even used it and Aries ducked it and it caught Brian Hebner so yeah you are wrong, thats a fact

Oh dear oh dear.

Let's take a step back and look at what was said.

At least drop the spray can so they won't end all of his matches like that..

Key word. ALL

I said that he doesn't end his matches with it. and you bring up two examples with prove me wrong. Apparently it's a fact!

so let's take a look at these facts.

Facts that Ion ends ALL of his matches with hairspray

Fact 1) he has used the hairspray on Aries which is one of the must recent in and out of the ring

This is an example of him winning all of his matches with hair spray?

Fact 2) and even used it and Aries ducked it and it caught Brian Hebner

So this is him winning a match with hair spray?

So much for those facts eh!

Yes he USES it... he just doesn't win ALL of his matches with it which is what I said.

I must of read the hairspray part wrong so yeah my bad

I don't read dirtsheets apart from a TNA one I was going by people who watched it here and my own opinion that no way was the first odd matchs were samey, Kash and Andrews was Kash being the ultra heel and Andrews being the exhausted underdog which was more a brawl due to Kash's smash mouth style, King and Williams was by far the best qualifier and IMO 3rd match of the night which was more technical, Sonjay and Cameron picked up the pace and Flip and Ion picked it up more, the Impact matchs felt samey but the PPV didn't, I just don't understand how they all were different to me but samey to you

regarding the promo and backstage, these are guys that'll be around for a week or two weeks maximum, they haven't got a job with TNA so this is a job interview, show them what you got say a few things get a call back and then hope you impressed them, if there setting up feuds or starting them in TNA's world i'd expect a bitter loser to ruin the Ultimate X match for someone, TNA just wants them to get over with the fans the best they can and if they decide to give them a job yeah promo at your hearts content, IMO there didn't need some heat to get these matchs hotter, you suicide dive or flip over the ropes you got the Impact Zone fans in your palm I was hot for this PPV for a year, Rashad might not be signed, Flip might not be signed, Andrews might not be signed, the whole tournament was rushed King knew he was wrestling on the day of Impact and it felt like it, I personally would't give people air time or a story that might not be apart of Impact in the near future, the people who got signed im hoping for 4 minimum will get some air time if there apart off it and im sure if Andrews gets signed then him and Kash'll have words and so on, I think it'll be like last year but they stick everyone in a #1 contenders match for the title so DX matchs or people will collide, in theory this was a gutcheck match without the judges, I think having Aries talk about the successor one by one would of helped but there getting paid to wrestler one or two nights, some of there futures are still unknown, I wouldn't have Lars Only and Darsow chat backstage and say there going to team up, thats air time for other matchs, TNA have stressed the timing issues on live shows so to have 4 odd promo's/segments/whatever setting up the PPV that could be 8 or upwards of minutes that could of made two matchs four minutes longer, Impact fans don't pay but PPV fans do (dunno if true but theres no kids or So Cal trying to pump up the crowd) they know what there expecting, I'd say majority of TNA fans know 50% off who those people were beforehand (I knew 7/8) because there not just watching TNA, Rubix got everyone behind him even tho hes lost twice, the fans knew who he was and his talent same with Sonjay and same with King, the TNA fans don't need that gentle nudge that WWE fans need (not a diss)

Jesus F'ing christ I reply when its a paragraph then post and now its a whole essay, yeah tl;dr

If im a troll then why write all that surely thats feeding the troll! SMFH

I agree they couldn't spent valuable tv time on people they don't even have any intention of signing. That's why I was saying before that some of the people they brought in had character and got themselves over by projecting that out. Rasheed was a heel from the second you saw him... You could just feel it. Sonjay had his history in TNA to work with. The other guys... Like Lars Only. I know nothing of the guy and he looked terrible in the ring during the qualifying match. I think a short video just showing him doing his thing would have helped me get into him. But again... how many of them are actually going to get a contract and stay? You can't do it for those who are staying and do nothing for those who won't as it makes it too obvious.

At the ppv the first match felt a little spotty... but it was fine. But we'd then seen a lot of the spots so when they were repeated in the later matches it wasn't as impact full.

Kash and Andrews was great because it wasn't about going from spot to spot to spot... they gave us a story. Kash as we all know is a heel and the scene showing him backstage with the announcers saying he's promised to come out immediately after the win etc... that developed into the next match and gave us a reason to cheer Andrews. It worked well to get Andrews over as a tough babyface going forward and the finish protected both men. It made Andrews look great and Kash came off as it was a fluke.

King and Williams

I didn't enjoy this one. I didn't like King's handstand kicks and a few of their spots were off. It was a contrast of styles... Williams is slow and tehcnical and king needed someone to be flashy with. After the Kash andrews match where Kash was being methodical.. this felt a little samey to me. Plus it was heel TNA star fighting off a face new guy and all that.

I actually think King is more suited to a singles run rather than X division... i think he can follow the samoa joe path and dominate this division and then step up.

Dutt vs Cameron

The fans felt flat during the match, almost like they'd started to lose interest. They cheered Sonjay but there wasn't the heel heat on Camerson despite him trying to get the fans to really get into it.

Ion vs flip

the crowd were even more flat by this point which dragged the match down and it felt like they just hit spots and then Ion squashed Flip.

What made that match even worse though was Jesse Sorrenson's promo where he said he hoped Ion would win the belt. As soon as he said that it almost became too obvious that he would.

After those matches we had Joe/Angle and i think AJ/Daniels which were great. But the first 2 singles X div matches felt like heels vs faces and the faces are the under dogs and the heels are slow methodical so and sos. the other 2 were more spotty and the crowd didn't seem as hot by this point. thats why i was wishing for some story to have countered that.

(edit)

Tldr, smfh (I had to google that one)

You were grumbling that I said I'd had enough and wasn't going to bother... Now you're grumbling that I did bother explaining my points? Which is it?

I'm sorry it turned into a huge post but I'd let a lot of comments slide as I'm on the phone mostly and it's a bitch trying to remember everything that's been said. But some of your points just needed commenting on to make everything clear.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched this the other day, it was pretty good. Last year's was better though. There were no standout matches to me, unlike the 2011 PPV. Unlike other people, I pretty much guessed Aries would win. If he lost, it would have completely buried the X Division. And with Roode not being champ, the BFG Series becomes more unpredictable as it doesn't just seem that James Storm will win.

Archived