WWE Teases WrestleMania 30 Location – Details

Dazman™

I'm still doubtful that WWE would have an overseas WrestleMania, especially with the time differential. I've made this argument before that WWE has always catered to North America by having it aired in it's usual prime time 7pm-11pm EST time slot. For this to continue WrestleMania in London would have to start at midnight(London time) & it would end around 4am. I don't exactly seeing this being able to work, i know you can use the theory that WWE would be willing to tape WrestleMania & air it at another time, to cater to North America as they usually do, after all it is a North Amercian entertainment/wrestling company. But if anything has taught us, just from their weekly television broadcast, there is no way that WWE would tape their biggest event, because they wouldn't want to risk spoilers getting out & losing Pay Per View buyrates because of it. The fact alone, I think would be WWE's biggest hurdle to get over, in having WrestleMania at an overseas location. It's one thing if you do it for RAW or even Smackdown, and have spoilers released on the event, but you don't do it for WrestleMania. It'd be like having spoilers released for the Super Bowl, if you know who would win the event, why even watch it? That's probably the biggest reason why I'm taking this report with only a grain of salt, at least for the moment. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm saying it's highly improbable,....because of the above reasons that I spoke about.

And whose bedtimes probably fall between 7pm and 11pm in America? Yeah, that's right. Plus the hit they would take on buyrates would be more than made up for by the money made by having the event held at Wembley Stadium (you'd be getting a crowd around about 100,000 people, so yeah). I mean you act as if it's impossible for people in North America to watch television on a late Sunday afternoon/evening. It is a perfectly feasible idea, and a lot of money could be made by WWE - if that means that North America would be missing out on hosting one single event, then as a business, I'm sure they'd take it.

If it is in England why not show Wrestlemania at 3pm eastern time? While they have theirs start at 9pm?

Because the majority of Americans have jobs, church, and other things during day time.

Exactly, that too....another reason why it's an awful idea to move the start time of WM to the middle of a Sunday afternoon(or early on the West Coast)

I'm sure if they're willing to spend however many dollars on a pay-per-view, then they'll have no problem leaving church, booking a day off work, etc. I think Americans are being over-dramatic about this. Buyrates won't go decrease drastically. Yes, there is a possibility that they will take a slight hit, but you're acting as if no-one is going to watch the PPV if it is on in the afternoon/evening. Look at the NFL, for example. You have games starting at 1pm and 4pm on a Sunday, and I don't suppose that they do too badly. Look at the thousands that fill all the stadiums and the millions that watch on television.

I'm still doubtful that WWE would have an overseas WrestleMania, especially with the time differential. I've made this argument before that WWE has always catered to North America by having it aired in it's usual prime time 7pm-11pm EST time slot. For this to continue WrestleMania in London would have to start at midnight(London time) & it would end around 4am. I don't exactly seeing this being able to work, i know you can use the theory that WWE would be willing to tape WrestleMania & air it at another time, to cater to North America as they usually do, after all it is a North Amercian entertainment/wrestling company. But if anything has taught us, just from their weekly television broadcast, there is no way that WWE would tape their biggest event, because they wouldn't want to risk spoilers getting out & losing Pay Per View buyrates because of it. The fact alone, I think would be WWE's biggest hurdle to get over, in having WrestleMania at an overseas location. It's one thing if you do it for RAW or even Smackdown, and have spoilers released on the event, but you don't do it for WrestleMania. It'd be like having spoilers released for the Super Bowl, if you know who would win the event, why even watch it? That's probably the biggest reason why I'm taking this report with only a grain of salt, at least for the moment. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm saying it's highly improbable,....because of the above reasons that I spoke about.

And whose bedtimes probably fall between 7pm and 11pm in America? Yeah, that's right. Plus the hit they would take on buyrates would be more than made up for by the money made by having the event held at Wembley Stadium (you'd be getting a crowd around about 100,000 people, so yeah). I mean you act as if it's impossible for people in North America to watch television on a late Sunday afternoon/evening. It is a perfectly feasible idea, and a lot of money could be made by WWE - if that means that North America would be missing out on hosting one single event, then as a business, I'm sure they'd take it.

And what is the country of origin of the WWE? Oh yea, that's right. As someone already pointed out, if the time was change to where it's only prime time in the UK, the WWE would be alienating their home audience, which is very stupid especially for PPV buyrates. It makes little sense to alienate you own country when your an American wrestling company, sure you could move it to the middle of the day in the US to allow for a prime time start in the UK, but that would still lose money for the WWE, since as another member point out, maybe Americans have jobs they work on Sundays, church with their families, etc. Yes, a lot of money could be made at 100,000 plus stadium, but a lot of money can also be lost with the lose of the PPV buyrates as well. If WWE holds it in the UK, expect them to cater to their home of orgin, North America, because it would be a bad business move to move the time slot knowing you are going to lose money on that new time slot. Making money doesn't make it ok to lose money too. Believe it or not, WWE makes a majority of their net gross from WrestleMania through their PPV buyrates, tickets only sell so much.....I mean for example, did you know that when WM was held in Atlanta, they only profited $6 million in ticket sales...and that was for a crowd of 70 plus thousand. So yes, PPV buyrates do mean a hell of a lot more to the WWE, especially since it's a world wide event shown in 60 or 70 different countries. WWE probably would net close to 10 or 11 million by having it at Wembley Stadium, but look at how much they would lose from the lose of the PPV buyrates.....hundreds of millions guaranteed.

No offense to you, but if that is a business move you'd make, I would not want you as CEO or running a company that I'd own. Vince McMahon isn't dumb, even though he's made some bone headed decisions over the years, having an over seas WrestleMania & lose money to keep it live, isn't one of those decisions that Vince McMahon or anyone in the WWE would be willing to make. And taping it sure a hell would nopt be an option in today's world & how spoilers for their biggest event could leak out, so there really isn't an easy solution to having an overseas WrestleMania & keeping it live for their home audience, you either keep it live in the current timeslot, but the down side is that it would start at 1am in the UK, ending near 5am. It's more feasible that something like that would happen, then to suggest that the WWE would alienate their home country & lose money in the process.

I'm sure if they're willing to spend however many dollars on a pay-per-view, then they'll have no problem leaving church, booking a day off work, etc. I think Americans are being over-dramatic about this. Buyrates won't go decrease drastically. Yes, there is a possibility that they will take a slight hit, but you're acting as if no-one is going to watch the PPV if it is on in the afternoon/evening. Look at the NFL, for example. You have games starting at 1pm and 4pm on a Sunday, and I don't suppose that they do too badly. Look at the thousands that fill all the stadiums and the millions that watch on television.

Apples to Oranges, except for games that are played on the NFL Network, the NFL is free to watch without even the need for basic cable....and the NFL still wouldn't even lose money from that. WWE on the other hand relies on their PPV buyrates quite a bit, especially for their biggest event of the year. the NFL only makes money from TV, based upon their TV contracts with FOX, NBC, & CBS, but those are the guaranteed terms of those contract, which is somewhere in the range of 15-20 billion, from what I last heard. Also you have to take into account that the NFL is the most popular sport in America, sad to say the WWE is not, although it does pretty well, it doesn't come near to as many fans that the NFL draws for the 6 months that they play in a season. And that's saying a lot since the WWE is a year round thing.

That would be awesome 'cos I live in England! :D But I can't see it happening, it seems highly unlikely.

Anyway, when I read 'Olympic', my first thought wasn't London 2012, it was...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JZrmvbZf7I&feature=related

That's exactly what came to mind for me. I highly doubt they'd do a WM outside of America due to the time difference.

And what is the country of origin of the WWE? Oh yea, that's right. As someone already pointed out, if the time was change to where it's only prime time in the UK, the WWE would be alienating their home audience, which is very stupid especially for PPV buyrates. It makes little sense to alienate you own country when your an American wrestling company, sure you could move it to the middle of the day in the US to allow for a prime time start in the UK, but that would still lose money for the WWE, since as another member point out, maybe Americans have jobs they work on Sundays, church with their families, etc. Yes, a lot of money could be made at 100,000 plus stadium, but a lot of money can also be lost with the lose of the PPV buyrates as well. If WWE holds it in the UK, expect them to cater to their home of orgin, North America, because it would be a bad business move to move the time slot knowing you are going to lose money on that new time slot. Making money doesn't make it ok to lose money too. Believe it or not, WWE makes a majority of their net gross from WrestleMania through their PPV buyrates, tickets only sell so much.....I mean for example, did you know that when WM was held in Atlanta, they only profited $6 million in ticket sales...and that was for a crowd of 70 plus thousand. So yes, PPV buyrates do mean a hell of a lot more to the WWE, especially since it's a world wide event shown in 60 or 70 different countries. WWE probably would net close to 10 or 11 million by having it at Wembley Stadium, but look at how much they would lose from the lose of the PPV buyrates.....hundreds of millions guaranteed.

No offense to you, but if that is a business move you'd make, I would not want you as CEO or running a company that I'd own. Vince McMahon isn't dumb, even though he's made some bone headed decisions over the years, having an over seas WrestleMania & lose money to keep it live, isn't one of those decisions that Vince McMahon or anyone in the WWE would be willing to make. And taping it sure a hell would nopt be an option in today's world & how spoilers for their biggest event could leak out, so there really isn't an easy solution to having an overseas WrestleMania & keeping it live for their home audience, you either keep it live in the current timeslot, but the down side is that it would start at 1am in the UK, ending near 5am. It's more feasible that something like that would happen, then to suggest that the WWE would alienate their home country & lose money in the process.

Apples to Oranges, except for games that are played on the NFL Network, the NFL is free to watch without even the need for basic cable....and the NFL still wouldn't even lose money from that. WWE on the other hand relies on their PPV buyrates quite a bit, especially for their biggest event of the year. the NFL only makes money from TV, based upon their TV contracts with FOX, NBC, & CBS, but those are the guaranteed terms of those contract, which is somewhere in the range of 15-20 billion, from what I last heard. Also you have to take into account that the NFL is the most popular sport in America, sad to say the WWE is not, although it does pretty well, it doesn't come near to as many fans that the NFL draws for the 6 months that they play in a season. And that's saying a lot since the WWE is a year round thing.

It sounds as if you just don't want WrestleMania outside of North America because you don't. You don't just make money off ticket sales >_>. They could go all out and make a massive week out of it. As I say, the money they would make from having the event in London (because it's in London they could command higher prices for tickets because pretty much everything in London is more expensive) would be far greater than the money they would lose from buyrates. You're acting as if no-one in North America will watch it as they'll be at work or w/e. The NFL example was intended to demonstrate that despite the product being on in the middle of the day, there is still an audience for it. I wasn't trying to use it as a monetary example. There is no need to have it taped, as having it live would be fine.

Aside from the business standpoint, having WM at Wembley would be *censored*ing awesome. A record attendance, scope for the best atmosphere ever, and an all-around fantastic event.

After all the people that have gotten over-excited about the prospect of it being in London, I hope WWE is just trolling us and it ends up being at MSG :shifty:

I'll just reiterate my point though. As a fan(from England), I'd love for Mania to be in London, but it is a bad business move. Think about it, would it be good for FIFA to have the Champions League Final(or anything that isn't on BBC or ITV :XD: ) aired at 1am because it's in New York? Maybe this is a bad example, but I hope you know what I mean.

Millions of people get up to watch the World Cup where ever it is, no matter what time of day. Same can be said for Formula one, boxing etc etc. 12pm-3pm is a perfectly reasonably time, you're going to be able to set aside some time to watch Wrestlemania live if you're that big of a fan.

Well, seen as it's the European Cup, no.

But it's not going to be at 1am in America, so you won't have that problem. It's at 3pm/4pm/5pm in the afternoon.

Like I said, it wasn't the best example. Instead of nit-picking at little things like 'well it's the EUROPEAN Cup', try look at the overall message I'm trying to say.

It sounds as if you just don't want WrestleMania outside of North America because you don't. You don't just make money off ticket sales >_>. They could go all out and make a massive week out of it. As I say, the money they would make from having the event in London (because it's in London they could command higher prices for tickets because pretty much everything in London is more expensive) would be far greater than the money they would lose from buyrates. You're acting as if no-one in North America will watch it as they'll be at work or w/e. The NFL example was intended to demonstrate that despite the product being on in the middle of the day, there is still an audience for it. I wasn't trying to use it as a monetary example. There is no need to have it taped, as having it live would be fine.

Aside from the business standpoint, having WM at Wembley would be *censored*ing awesome. A record attendance, scope for the best atmosphere ever, and an all-around fantastic event.

No, because I would actually supportive of the idea, if you're putting the business side of thing aside. I've already stated why it would be a bad idea from a business point of view, but I think it's actually pretty cool when WWE goes across seas/go to other countries. As you said it'd be pretty awesome & I do agree from a fan perspective in that point of view.

Well, seen as it's the European Cup, no.

But it's not going to be at 1am in America, so you won't have that problem. It's at 3pm/4pm/5pm in the afternoon.

Like I said, it wasn't the best example. Instead of nit-picking at little things like 'well it's the EUROPEAN Cup', try look at the overall message I'm trying to say.

I wasn't nitpicking, but if you're going to illustrate a point, at least use a half-decent example/explanation.

No, because I would actually supportive of the idea, if you're putting the business side of thing aside. I've already stated why it would be a bad idea from a business point of view, but I think it's actually pretty cool when WWE goes across seas/go to other countries. As you said it'd be pretty awesome & I do agree from a fan perspective in that point of view.

Oh, fair enough then. But I think it would be a successful business move. I suppose we both have our reasons as to why, and neither of us know for sure, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm American, but personally I think 'Mania in London would be epic since I like UK fans. However, I just don't see it happening since the majority of their PPV buy-rates are from North America...

Would be cool to have a London Mania, But I just can't see it happening whatsoever. With the time zone differences, it just seems hard,

Something tells me it could be in Montreal. The stadium over there is Olympic Stadium.

I would be extremely happy if it'd be in Montreal, but I doubt it.

WrestleMania in London would be amazing. I would honestly stay up if it would come to that. I would even go to London if possible.

I can't see them going to London. They'd have to show it on delay like they did in 1992 for SummerSlam, and in this day and age PPVs need to be live.

Los Angeles makes sense. WrestleMania VII was originally scheduled to take place at the Coliseum. They announced it at Mania VI, advertised it for months in WWF Magazine, and were touting it as being the biggest event of all time with over 100,000 people expected.

Of course that never happened. Pre-sale tickets didn't sell as good as WWF hoped, and they didn't want to have an outdoor event in a half empty stadium. So they moved the show inside to the L.A. Sports Arena, claiming it was due to safety issues connected to the Gulf War, and the Hulk Hogan Vs. Sgt. Slaughter storyline.

I was going to go to Mania VII before the venue change, as there were cheap tickets that were going to be available for it, but they disappeared after the move so I wasn't able to go. I ended up going to WrestleMania IX in Las Vegas, the one that actually did end up being held outdoors (in a far smaller venue).

With the way Mania is done these days, an event at the Coliseum makes a lot of sense. They could certainly make a cool looking set using the natural design of the coliseum. It would also be the only venue that has hosted a World Series, MLB All-Star Game, Super Bowl, and WrestleMania (not to mention the Olympics).

I hope it happens. I'd definitely be open to going if they finally put it in the Coliseum.

Okay, instead of being all realistic and pessimists, lets just say it is in London. How *censored*ing insane would that be?

*censored* the time difference, I don't care if its an American promotion, we have to stay up til 1am so I'm sure they could break their little routines on PPV day for just one time in what would be the biggest Mania of all time.

That should answer any questions on WWE going overseas for Wrestlemania. It won't happen as long as Mr. McMahon is in charge.

Would be cool to have a London Mania, But I just can't see it happening whatsoever. With the time zone differences, it just seems hard,

Something tells me it could be in Montreal. The stadium over there is Olympic Stadium.

I would be extremely happy if it'd be in Montreal, but I doubt it.

WrestleMania in London would be amazing. I would honestly stay up if it would come to that. I would even go to London if possible.

I'd be afraid of the roof falling into pieces. The stadium is so shitty.

Archived