What do you think happens after death?

R A T E D.

Reincarnation.

I could believe with my family and think i'll go to heaven.

I could hope that I am reincarnated as another being [human please haha]

I could dread that I'll just die and nothing will happen

And if there is no soul, explain ghosts?

Explain what about them? That they're as much as a myth as souls themselves? That they are more a work of fiction and can actually be strongly disproved?

Reverse logic fallacy, you cannot prove a negative. I believe most things like ghost, souls etc are not understood yet, and most are misinterpretations. If you want to talk about evidence, there is enough anecdotal evidence out there to win a court case. Evidence, not proof.

I have fallen into my own trap. I am ashamed. SEPPUUUKKKUUUUUU!!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, scientifically, the OP is closer to the truth than you may think. You do indeed become another being, but it's not incarnation as you think. Rather, it's the dispersion of atoms from the decay of your body that is spread through the air and, as all atoms are interconnecting and can at any point connect with each other, your atoms and particles more than likely will indeed become a part of someone else's body. In fact, there is something like a 97% chance that you have a particle in your body that came from the last breath of Julius Caesar. It's a beautiful rebirth that all started with the death of a star and will end with the birth of another.

This really made my day which I never thought would happen in a thread about death

I could believe with my family and think i'll go to heaven.

I could hope that I am reincarnated as another being [human please haha]

I could dread that I'll just die and nothing will happen

And if there is no soul, explain ghosts?

There are none. That's my explanation. I don't believe in any other consciousness than that created by the brain. Once the brain stops functioning, that's it. No soul, no ghosts, nothing.

Actually, scientifically, the OP is closer to the truth than you may think. You do indeed become another being, but it's not incarnation as you think. Rather, it's the dispersion of atoms from the decay of your body that is spread through the air and, as all atoms are interconnecting and can at any point connect with each other, your atoms and particles more than likely will indeed become a part of someone else's body. In fact, there is something like a 97% chance that you have a particle in your body that came from the last breath of Julius Caesar. It's a beautiful rebirth that all started with the death of a star and will end with the birth of another.

This really made my day which I never thought would happen in a thread about death

My complaint with this is that while it sounds cool... I highly doubt there is a 97% chance that a particle in anyone here's body came from the last breath of Julius Caesar. I fully understand the idea that atoms are "recycled" for lack of a better word and that we are comprised of the same specific building blocks as previous humans and other things were. But the odds of a person having a particle that came directly from a specific famous ruler from antiquity have to be a whole lot lower than 97%.

Reguardless of what we all think, we know one thing for sure...

We will ALL find out one day... That's about all we can agree on.

Actually, if the brain is rendered useless when we die, then we cant find out anything seeing as thats it, its gone.

You make your comeback as a WWE Superstar and go on to build an undefeated WrestleMania streak.

In all seriousness though, it's something I've always found interesting and wanted to know. I believe that your soul just gets carried to the Heaven/Hell (depending on your deeds), leaving your body behind.

My complaint with this is that while it sounds cool... I highly doubt there is a 97% chance that a particle in anyone here's body came from the last breath of Julius Caesar. I fully understand the idea that atoms are "recycled" for lack of a better word and that we are comprised of the same specific building blocks as previous humans and other things were. But the odds of a person having a particle that came directly from a specific famous ruler from antiquity have to be a whole lot lower than 97%.

http://econ161.berkeley.edu/movable_type/archives/001392.html

Turns out it's actually a molecule and it's 98.2%. Even cooler, considering a molecule is larger than a particle...

When you die, you're dead. You rot in the ground or you're burned in the crematory or you're frozen in ice or you're digested in the belly of the whale or whatever. No brain = no mind. No mind = no you. Sorry, folks.

The light you see when you die, is just you coming out of a vagina, being reborn.

Interestingly enough, there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for the light people see when they die. Color, shape and texture are all "filled in" to our perception by our eyes and our brain. The normal default thing to see is "blank." Vision is a white sheet of paper until your brain & eyes fill it in. The reason you see light is that your brain is dying and it's not able to do its thing like it normally does.

Archived