Austin Aries on ROH: "It's a Shell of It's Former Self"

V to I

Austin Aries Says ROH Is "Shell Of Its Former Self"

Posted by: Caylon Knox on Apr 18 2012

Source: ProWrestling.net

TNA Impact Wrestling X-Division Champion and former ROH World Champion Austin Aries recently did an interview with SportsVibe.co.uk which can be read in its entirety by clicking here:

http://www.sportsvibe.co.uk/articles/other/austin-aries-talks-lockdown-x-division-and-the-future-of-tna-16059/

"I'll be really honest with you, the Ring of Honor today is not anything like the Ring of Honor that the likes of CM Punk, Daniel Bryan and myself came from. Obviously they are still operating under the same name, but the company has changed so much over the years and it's really a shell of it's former self in terms of the vision and thought process. The original Ring of Honor and the Ring of Honor today are two completely different things, I like to call it Smokey Mountain of Honor." 

-Wrestlingnewssource

Aries brings up a point, but in all honesty, what shape did people expect the fed to be in when those aforementioned ROH originals / legends have left either to tour other feds or because they signed with the WWE? Like whiterhyno said, they're trying their best with their current roster and in all fairness, ROH's more like they're in a rebuilding mode (as evident with relative unknowns like Ciampa, Elgin and Bennett getting pretty considerable exposure) rather than becoming a shell of its former self.

It's in a transitional phase, of course it's not the same.

The smokey mountain of honor thing was a little below the belt though.

It's funny that quite a few former ROH guys have talked about being held back by ROH when it came to moving to a bigger place, yet now that they have let all those guy move on, they knock them for fresh talent.

Whatever.

It's in a transitional phase, of course it's not the same.

The smokey mountain of honor thing was a little below the belt though.

It's funny that quite a few former ROH guys have talked about being held back by ROH when it came to moving to a bigger place, yet now that they have let all those guy move on, they knock them for fresh talent.

Whatever.

I don't think Austin or anyone else from ROH past is really bashing fresh talent. I think what austin is getting at here is that as of now,it is just not as big feeling as it was in past years. I have not heard austin or anyone ever say ROH didnt have some good guys,just no one at this point is making that connection that guys like Joe,Aries,Danielson,and Punk made. Davey is a great talent(at least I think so) but hes following is remaining the same size it seems,same with guys like Edwards and Strong. Steen has interesting stuff going on so maybe that will be the spark. Also Cornette has changed alot of things around. I'm still surprised that they have ether shyed away from or scared off guys like Colt,Homicide,Low Ki,and so many others that are on the free agent list that are pretty big guys with the old and new ROH loyals. I agree with ROH being in transition and I think Austin is saying simlar. Just that they are at a low point right now where they do not have a group of break out stars like they have in past

Coming from a huge ROH (05-10) fan, he's right. Though I'll take it a step further and say compared to the ROH of old, this new ROH sucks. Oh well, it was written in the stars, as you could see it coming once Gabe left. They still put on good events but they're so inconsistent now.

PS, I like Tommaso Ciampa and Michael Bennett, but they are no Bryan Danielson or Nigel McGuinness.

You don't really need A Double to point out the obvious. Though while the product isn't anywhere near as good as it may have been before, they still have a good roster. Mike Bennett is honestly among one of my favorites in ROH right now, along with ANX, Jimmy Jacobs, and Kevin Steen. Even so, they just can't compare to the days Nigel McGuinness, Bryan Danielson, Takeshi Morishima, Low-Ki, Samoa Joe, CM Punk, and Austin Aries were around.

True ^

But they have some decent up and comers. Kyle O'Reily and Ciampa have potential.

The Smokey Mountain of Honor did make me :lol: though. A Dub has has a way with words indeed.

But ROH is sitll enjoyable and they are reaching a wider audience now.

The thing it seems they are missing most is the "Holy shit... IT is about to go down!" feeling. Hopefully the Steen vs Davey match captures that type of excitement.

Archived