The A-Pex Predator or The Legend Killer?

Ryan Awsome

37 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite Orton persona?

• The A-Pex Predator
    • The Legend Killer
  2. 2. Which persona suits Orton?

• The A-Pex Predator
    • The Legend Killer

I preferred the legend killer era, simply because it was something different. There had never really been someone who went out of his way to do harm to retired legends before. The Apex predator thing is pretty cheesy, IMO. It's nothing special. All that aside, Orton is pretty boring to me regardless of his persona.

I preferred Legend Killer, but I guess change to the gimmick was necessary. I just find Orton's robotic performance as the Apex Predator really stale. In the beginning it was cool, but acting like a machine gets boring quickly.

PS. "A-Pex"? It's Apex Predator; what's the hyphen for? :P

The "Legend Killer" gimmick was perfect to make Orton stand out during the Evolution days. Him being this cocky kid with a chip in his shoulder that would tell the all-time greats to go screw themselves was a great way to make him look like the future of the sport. Having said that, the "Apex Predator" gimmick was (in concept, at least) a great transition for Orton: the fact that he was more mature allowed him to play this character who appeared collected and yet could snap at the slightest thing (due to the "voices" in his head). The problem is that it's a gimmick that doesn't allow for much development: character-wise, he's supposed to show one of two notes (either his collected side or the deranged one) and the fact that the only motivation he has for winning whichever title is "just because" doesn't exactly make for good feuds (since the investment in them will always come from the other party).

Even though the Apex Predator can be interesting as far as in-ring ability and psychology go, the Legend Killer lent itself to much more interesting feuds. If there was a way to make Orton retain the way he currently interacts in the ring with some personality from his Legend Killer days, it could really help make his character seem fresher.

The "Legend Killer" gimmick was perfect to make Orton stand out during the Evolution days. Him being this cocky kid with a chip in his shoulder that would tell the all-time greats to go screw themselves was a great way to make him look like the future of the sport. Having said that, the "Apex Predator" gimmick was (in concept, at least) a great transition for Orton: the fact that he was more mature allowed him to play this character who appeared collected and yet could snap at the slightest thing (due to the "voices" in his head). The problem is that it's a gimmick that doesn't allow for much development: character-wise, he's supposed to show one of two notes (either his collected side or the deranged one) and the fact that the only motivation he has for winning whichever title is "just because" doesn't exactly make for good feuds (since the investment in them will always come from the other party).

Even though the Apex Predator can be interesting as far as in-ring ability and psychology go, the Legend Killer lent itself to much more interesting feuds. If there was a way to make Orton retain the way he currently interacts in the ring with some personality from his Legend Killer days, it could really help make his character seem fresher.

This sums it up perfectly.

This sums it up perfectly.

This. Couldn't of been better, I like Orton IMO he is pretty good in the ring but him winning all the time gets boring and predictable I was actually surprise when he lost against Kane at WM but then they had to make him win on SD

Legend Killer does sound like an awfully generic gimmick, but in fact, it worked so well. Orton played the part well, and it helped create what he is today. With that being said, he plays the Apex Predator gimmick well too, but the gimmick itself just doesn't do it for me,

"Hey, nothing you can say ..." I voted the Legend Killer-persona. I grew up with that Randy Orton and he was my favorite wrestler, even though I was a little kid who despised all the bad guys. Loved his attitude and his great entrance. Damn, do I love his previous Theme.

I don't hate his current gimmick, but at times it's just too robotic. His mic skills have worsened ever since he became a face too. "My name ... is Randy Orton". Seriously, he says that every single time, it's ridiculous. It's even more annoying than listening to Sheamus calling his rivals "arses".

Archived