So I'm going to Wrestling school.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Learn to break-fall before you start. It'll make taking bumps a lot easier, trust me.

For the person who asked, it's well known that WWE rings have barely any give(spring)to them, but most Indy feds have very cushioned, bouncy rings.

My advice is to not worry about what type of wrestler you want to be until you can actually wrestle.

Honestly? I think your gimmick sucks. Go out and develop your own gimmick, mate, trust me.

And as for the rings, yeah, they suck at first. You'll get the wind knocked out of you once or twice, but once you've learned how to fall properly, its like you feel the impact but not pain, almost. That's how its felt for me, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Creatine is shit. It's all water weight. There are many body building forums out there with people who are willing to help people looking to gain weight. You're probably going to want some sort of whey protein and realistically, you're going to have to weight around 220 and be able to bend more than that.

I'm not gonna have to weight 225. Chris Jericho is 5'9 and he weights about 190.

5'9, 190 pounds? Chris Jericho is 6'0"...and weighs between 220-230 pounds.

There is some decent advise in this thread about gaining size, some things about wrestling are downers though.

To those of you that say you can't because of your size, don't let that kill a dream. If you go through training and have 1 match, you will have fulfilled a dream, which many people never do. I was a active worker from 2002-2007 (put out with injury, search Devin Raze on youtube and you'll see it), I used to workout with trainees on a weekly basis, none over 200lbs. One kid was 120 soaking wet, and about 5'3". He hurt easily but he came back each week for more punishment. He never finished, but that cat tried. I suggest you do the same. Another trained for over a year I swear, and each week was like his first day, he was dangerous to be in the ring with, but I guess he felt good about being in a ring. Another skinny dude moved to Michigan and trained with Truth Martini and became Aiden Hallows.

As far as the gimmick goes. Work on them during training. Work it into your training. It's a great practice ground and you will have multiple people to get feedback from on what to change, what works and so on. As far as mocking the Rock? Go for it, we had a guy in this area that was called Big Kenny Nash, who looked like Kevin Nash, but shorter and not as fit. It worked for him.

What I can tell you is try your hardest, keep your mouth shut and your ears open AT ALL TIMES. Shake everyones hand, every time you meet them. It's dumb, but it's required of you. Work left, and turn right, and one thing I say to everyone before they hit the curtain and what means the most to me. You are working WITH somebody else, not working them, you will work the crowd. You both walk in under your own power, make sure you go out the same way you came in. You don't make money by injuring people.

KEEP IT SAFE

I look forward to you posting your progress during training and on your character development!!

All this talk about a gimmick needs to stop. You haven't even started any training yet, you don't even know if you even wrestle in the slightest yet, you might not even be cut out for it. You can't decide if you want to be a high-flyer or a powerhouse or a technical wrestler because that will come much later in your training. You need to learn basic strikes and grapples, you need to learn in-ring mannerisms and the way the wrestlers interact with each other/the referee, there is tonnes of things you need to learn how to do before any of that.

I wish you all the luck, but I think a lot of you are jumping the gun by far.

No offence, kid... But you're falling at the first hurdle right now. The biggest mistake 95% of guys make is they think theyre a wrestler way too early, before they've even performed in front of a crowd. All this talk of gimmicks isnt needed this early on (and if youre still looking for opinions on the gimmick, I personally feel its terrible and a very cheap/uncreative way to get heat).

Basically, you shouldn't even be coming to the internet for advice. You need the advice of a professional (ie. Your trainer) not a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Just follow your trainers lead. He'll let you know when its time to work on a gimmick, And he'll probably help you work on a gimmick that fits too.

i too wanna enter a wrestling school as soon as i graduate from college. im 19 now and i wish i can finish my school in time (4 years) as soon as i graduate, i'll enter wrestling world. for those who ask why do i have to finish my school first, because i dedicated my entire college life for my mom, she really wanted me to become a law degree. but i still want to chase my dream to become a pro wrestler. anyone think that im too old to enter the ring for the first time?

anyway, i live in Asia. anyone have a suggestions for a good wrestling schools around here? because i know some in the US, but i want to start doing it not to far away from my good 'ol home. anyone have advice? thanks :)

i too wanna enter a wrestling school as soon as i graduate from college. im 19 now and i wish i can finish my school in time (4 years) as soon as i graduate, i'll enter wrestling world. for those who ask why do i have to finish my school first, because i dedicated my entire college life for my mom, she really wanted me to become a law degree. but i still want to chase my dream to become a pro wrestler. anyone think that im too old to enter the ring for the first time?

anyway, i live in Asia. anyone have a suggestions for a good wrestling schools around here? because i know some in the US, but i want to start doing it not to far away from my good 'ol home. anyone have advice? thanks :)

Not to old, never. You will still be young to pursue a dream that you have. I know a couple guys that just started wrestling last year, "Sue Jackson" and "James Reeves", both of them are 29. You will be fine. As far as the law thing, you're doing good by getting an education, you'll have backup. Jesse Emerson is a wrestler that is a lawyer, haha so you won't be alone.

Asia...What part of Asia? Japan has New Japan, Dragon Gate, a list of promotions.

Might want to use the Starting Strength program when you start working out (if you aren't already)

It's a simple combination of complex lifts that use several muscles each.

Something like:

Monday - Deadlift, Bench, Squat

Wednesday - Bent Over Row, Bench, Squat

Friday - Romanian Deadlift, Bench, Half-Squat or Hindu Squat or some such

It's a very simple plan. You do those exercises for a smallish number of reps but every week you try to add a little on. Each exercise is a compound movement rather than an isolating movement, so you won't end up with big show muscles but poor supporting ones.

It's only a beginning but it's a good one.

I like Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydro Whey personally. 140 calories 1g fat 30g protein mixes well.

That might not be helpful to you at all, I dunno where you are physically...but good luck man.

Whether you find great success and do this for the rest of your life or decide it's not for you at least you're trying. You won't have to wonder what might have been.

Kick some ass sea bass

Archived