Rise Above The Rock?

Ayatollah

It's no secret that The Rock hasn't been here for the last seven years. But in those seven years, John Cena has been shoved down our throats in every WrestleMania handed title match, after title match, after title match.

Now forget the last seven years he was gone, let's talk about now. The Rock has come back, and since he's been back not only has he finally removed Cena from the title picture, but has made him interesting again. It's been a long time since people have actually been able to side and agree with Cena.

To me this makes no sense, see; The Rock has been saying EXACTLY what the internet has been saying about Cena for years. Everything from the over-colored clothes, the fact that he's not entertaining, the fact that he can't wrestle, he's shoved down our throats etc. Realistically we should all be on his side, he's fighting for us. He's said *censored* PG, I'll call him out for what he is, and that's a bitch... but you're not. The same person we all couldn't stand is now the person you're siding with?

I can understand those that dislike The Rock will naturally side with Pebbles, but the rest of you... the *censored*!? You're siding with the enemy here, we've worked too damn hard to watch him win![/exaggeration] At the end of the day, to side with Cena is to side with PG.

I remember Vince McMahon once said something in the lines of "Wrestling fans need to be spoon fed", I highly disagreed at the time, but after seeing this he's right. They've given us a chance to side with someone FROM the era of wrestling a lot of us consider to be it's prime, but your siding with the current family bullshit. It's embarrassing to be a wrestling fan nowadays, when the face of the company looks like a character cut straight out of a kids show. I'm sure we can all agree on that.

This is more than John Cena vs. The Rock, this is Era vs. Era, we have the choice to decide which was greater. You're proving Vince McMahons theory right, and are showing that even when we're given a choice we side with whatever we were given to begin with. You're showing the WWE that all the bullshit 'poop' jokes we had to endure for years was the right direction to head.

Question; What's with all The Rock hate?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This topic is so silly, Cena is the enemy? please get ahold of yourself.

I was exaggerating, lol. But read past that and I have a point.

You think you do, but you dont.

Im assuming this was birthed from the WWE Discussion thread. Well people are siding with Cena currently because Rocks promo was horrible last night. Not because they prefer the "PG era" i think most people are playing this as what have you done lately. Currently Cena has the upper hand, but that doesnt mean next week it cant change. The momentum is always going to swing back and forth when you have two mega popular superstars. This is just yet again another useless Attitude Era vs PG thread.

Im assuming this was birthed from the WWE Discussion thread. Well people are siding with Cena currently because Rocks promo was horrible last night. Not because they prefer the "PG era" i think most people are playing this as what have you done lately. Currently Cena has the upper hand, but that doesnt mean next week it cant change. The momentum is always going to swing back and forth when you have two mega popular superstars. This is just yet again another useless Attitude Era vs PG thread.

How is it not Era vs. Era when Cena has SAID he's fighting for the guys in the back? The Rock has also been saying he "represents an Era", but he's fighting for the people.

>_>

You're forgetting that the "Cena-haters" don't hate Cena, they hate his character. The corny jokes, the goofy smile, the goody-two-shoes attitude and the constant title pushes. The reason why people are starting to feel a bit more positive toward Cena is because this Cena-Rock feud has made him stop doing his silly schtick. He's being more aggressive, less "funny", and he's not WWE champion. The biggest gripes people had about Cena are, for the time being, gone. Hating Cena just because he happens to be John Cena is silly. If he steps up his game like he has done, he deserves some credit for it.

How is it not Era vs. Era when Cena has SAID he's fighting for the guys in the back? The Rock has also been saying he "represents an Era", but he's fighting for the people.

>_>

Cena said hes fighting for the guys in the back because Rock is an asshole and doesnt treat them well when he comes back(obv in his own words) Not because its their era vs. Rocks, if it was that way im sure they would be marketing it as that. Thats as it stands now but Mania is still some time away.

You're forgetting that the "Cena-haters" don't hate Cena, they hate his character. The corny jokes, the goofy smile, the goody-two-shoes attitude and the constant title pushes. The reason why people are starting to feel a bit more positive toward Cena is because this Cena-Rock feud has made him stop doing his silly schtick. He's being more aggressive, less "funny", and he's not WWE champion. The biggest gripes people had about Cena are, for the time being, gone. Hating Cena just because he happens to be John Cena is silly. If he steps up his game like he has done, he deserves some credit for it.

We all know how this will go. He'll be entertaining while he's feuding with The Rock, after that go back to being Superman e.g. his feud with Kane. That's the reason I don't support him. If he was like this 24/7 it would be a different story.

i've been watching WWE since 1985 when Hulkamania was the hottest thing going. when then the WWF, WAS ALSO PG FAMILY ORIENTED. back then Hulk Hogan was shoved down our throats. He was put in the main events ALL THE TIME. yet i still cheered for the guy. hell, Hogan wasn't even my favorite back then, Ricky Steamboat was, but i cheered for Hogan to and i NEVER complained. i always wanted to see Steamboat get his shot (i even picked him to win the tournament at WM4) but he never did, but i never whined about it. So for me, having Cena shoved down my throat ALL THE TIME is NOT enough for me to boo him since i never booed Hogan. now i've ranted alot on the Rock in the other thread but here's the thing, i don't hate the Rock, i hate the fact that he doesn't show up from time to time at the right time. what do i mean?, where was he for the follwing 'Special' editions of Raw: WWE Homecoming, Raw Family Reunion, 15th anniversary Raw, Raw Old School, and All-Star Raw? that is my issue with the Rock, why doesn't he at the very least appear (live....physically) ahen it would sense and be relavent for him to be there. i think its only fair to the fans, and the guys he worked with that show up for those 'special' Raw's that he shows up to. THAT is my ONLY issue with the Rock. do i think he is taking someones spot? Yes.... VINCE"S SPOTS!!! lets be real folks, those WresleMania spots, belong to Vince, the WWE superstars have to earn them, and Vince will put in whoever he feels will help sell 'Mania. as far as this PG vs Attitude era goes, PG worked 25-30 years ago, you guys who don't like PG most likely weren't old enough or weren't born yet to experiance the Rock'N'Wrestling era. and i got to tell ya, it was completely more entertaining the violence of the Attitude era.

My Rock hate stems from him leaving and abandoning the WWE.

same here, but more so, because he realistically felt that he was much bigger than the WWE itself at the time. His ego is what made me look at Rock in a different light. I'll be the first to admit I was never a Rock fan, but I always found him entertaining, but the way he left the WWE, never sat well with me. And then when he came back & said he was never going away again, I know Rocky said that wasn't meant to be taken literally, but if that's the case, why say it at all? So to me, I look at both Cena & Rock being disingenuous to the WWE Universe, but I look at that as more so with Rock than it does with Cena.

>_>

Cena said hes fighting for the guys in the back because Rock is an asshole and doesnt treat them well when he comes back(obv in his own words) Not because its their era vs. Rocks, if it was that way im sure they would be marketing it as that. Thats as it stands now but Mania is still some time away.

The WWE don't have to make it to blatantly obvious, there's no need for gimmicked matches. The Rock vs. Hogan was the same thing. The Rock represented one of the best the Attitude Era had to offer, and Hogan one of the best the Golden Era had to offer. That's the reason people wish they could have seen Ali vs. Tyson, to see which of their time was better.

My Rock hate stems from him leaving and abandoning the WWE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ2pcpgbddI

Sad how people still think he "abandoned" the WWE when in reality his contract ran out. Plus, he was allowed to keep the rights to "The Rock" name, which further shows that his departure from the WWE was on amicable terms.

It's not hate - it's indifference.

I never had the pleasure of watching The Rock wrestle. As a fan that entered in early 2005, The Rock has been nothing more than a "myth" to me.

I knew of him, but never saw him. I can watch as much past footage as I'd like, I can read articles, I can hear other people's stories, I can check out wikipedia, but it simply isn't the same as living through the era itself - it's now out of context. It's a context I've very easily lived without, meaning The Rock isn't an important asset in wrestling to me. But this hold he has on older fans, pushes them to shove down my throat that "The Rock was the best on the mic! Nobody can energise crowds like The Rock!", and whilst I've seen him in some of his several returns and proven that he can, he hasn't reached out directly to me in any way. He's great at livening up a crowd, and if I'm honest, he's alright at talking. To me his promos are like mad-lips where he has to fill in the gaps between catchphrases. But this "The Rock" that's been built up hasn't delivered yet.

He's got skill, but to me he hasn't got a personal appeal. And as a fan who never saw him in a rivalry, I'm sincerely hoping that he can go toe-to-toe in a fantastic match in an era I'm a part of, against the man this era was built on, just so I can see what all the fuss is about in my own context.

Because right now, he's a walking catchphrase that's obsessed with trending on twitter. He's not that "The Rock" that everyone's built him up to be.

The Rock has made Cena interesting again? In what way exactly? The only thing The Rock does nowadays, which was even more evident last night, is pretty simple. Catchphrase, twitter talk, Cena is a bitch. You talk about Cena being repetetive and being shoved down our throats for the last 7 years? If The Rock would've continued doing what he is doing now for 7 years, he would be boo'ed out of the building.

Its not about "Attitude Era" vs "PG Era", it's about doing the best they can for the business, and right now and for the last 7 years, Cena has been doing a much better job, even though he doesn't even have half of the talent that The Rock has.

It's not hate - it's indifference.

I never had the pleasure of watching The Rock wrestle. As a fan that entered in early 2005, The Rock has been nothing more than a "myth" to me.

I knew of him, but never saw him. I can watch as much past footage as I'd like, I can read articles, I can hear other people's stories, I can check out wikipedia, but it simply isn't the same as living through the era itself - it's now out of context. It's a context I've very easily lived without, meaning The Rock isn't an important asset in wrestling to me. But this hold he has on older fans, pushes them to shove down my throat that "The Rock was the best on the mic! Nobody can energise crowds like The Rock!", and whilst I've seen him in some of his several returns and proven that he can, he hasn't reached out directly to me in any way. He's great at livening up a crowd, and if I'm honest, he's alright at talking. To me his promos are like mad-lips where he has to fill in the gaps between catchphrases. But this "The Rock" that's been built up hasn't delivered yet.

He's got skill, but to me he hasn't got a personal appeal. And as a fan who never saw him in a rivalry, I'm sincerely hoping that he can go toe-to-toe in a fantastic match in an era I'm a part of, against the man this era was built on, just so I can see what all the fuss is about in my own context.

Because right now, he's a walking catchphrase that's obsessed with trending on twitter. He's not that "The Rock" that everyone's built him up to be.

Very well said :)

I feel sorry for Cena, I blame WWE creative for him playing a babyface for the last 8 years. What makes the likes of Stone Cold and The Rock etc not boring/repetitive is the fact they alternate between playing the rols of faces and heel, which kept it fresh. I actually rate Cena quite highly but i find him extremely boring although he has his moments. With all that said and done come Wrestlemania, I will be on The Rock's side at Wrestlemania, the guy revolutionized sports entertainmet as we know it today. TEAM BRING IT all day long.

The Rock has made Cena interesting again? In what way exactly? The only thing The Rock does nowadays, which was even more evident last night, is pretty simple. Catchphrase, twitter talk, Cena is a bitch. You talk about Cena being repetetive and being shoved down our throats for the last 7 years? If The Rock would've continued doing what he is doing now for 7 years, he would be boo'ed out of the building.

Its not about "Attitude Era" vs "PG Era", it's about doing the best they can for the business, and right now and for the last 7 years, Cena has been doing a much better job, even though he doesn't even have half of the talent that The Rock has.

You're right, because beyond his feud with CM Punk, Cena has been AMAZING this year. Oh, and his last major feud, with The Miz? That's up where with The Rock vs. Stone Cold. >_>

I think it's pretty evident that whenever The Rock shows up he elevates his game. Promo wise, he goes from stale to actually give good points. Unlike when he feuds with anyone else. Cena in the last seven years doesn't even hold a candle to The Rock from 1997-2004. Do some research, go on Wikipedia and compare what The Rock had done, and how many changes he's made in that short amount of time compared to Cena.

Cena has done NOTHING. When I say he's done nothing, I'm not talking about winning titles, because it's obvious he's won a lot of those. I'm talking character wise, evolving, changing. The Rock was in tag-teams, changed his name, balanced being face and heel. Cena was the same seven years ago, and is the same now. *censored* the "i'm being me" bullshit, this is entertainment. No one will take it literal if he decides to act bad for the sake of a story line, it's not like we're asking him to change as a person.

What has he actually done that's changed wrestling as a whole? Hogan opened the door for wrestlers to make movies, The Rock has shown that it's possible to make a successful career in it.

When I said it's an Era vs. Era, like I said above. It's like if Ali vs. Tyson were to take place, to see two of the best their time had offer were to fight.

I think WWE's current strategy of trying to guilt trip the fans into liking Cena is a little pathetic. Cena went from "I don't care what the haters think of me.", to "Please, please, like me!". Its a really poor last ditch effort to get people to cheer him. And for those of you who don't know how to differentiate between kayfabe and real life, they're intentionally making The Rock look somewhat boring, hypocritical, and repetitive. That's because they don't want the entire Sun Life Stadium audience booing Cena out of the building on April 1st. Trust me, Cena calling The Rock out on having his promo written on his wrist wasn't "a shoot". Its all part of the show. The Rock is supposed to look like the bad guy, and we're supposed to feel bad for cheering for him. That's WWE's goal because that's the only way they can have the crowd split 50/50 at WrestleMania. The Rock isn't a heel by any stretch of the imagination, but unless we're reminded of what a terrible person he is every week, come WrestleMania the entire audience is going to be 100% behind The Rock. I think WWE's long term goal is that they want all of the fans who boo Cena to have a change of heart and see the error of their ways, but that's just not going to happen. If anything, that's going to cause us to dislike him even more. If they want us to cheer for Cena, he's going to have to be the one that has a change of heart. Not us.

Archived