Heated Discussion, what exactly was so brilliantly good about Here Comes The Pain's "Season" Mode?

SuicidalKissesProduction™

For Years people have been talking about how brilliant Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain's Season Mode was. Myself I thought it was sloppy cut ups of old storylines shoved into a long boring and pointless year, when was the last time you guys even played Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain & What was so Brilliant about the Season Mode?

No need to Troll-bait or attempt to start a pointless argument, just give me your reason. I'm attempting to keep my mouth shut and stay out of "Heated Discussions" this was basically to see what peoples opinions where, I'll have little say unless of course it is needed like here.

Screw it then...once again...

Season mode was fun because it had unpredictability and control. I put in the wrestlers I wanted and took out those I didn't give a toss about. Only 32 CAWs but they had way more moves. I could turn on my partner if I wanted. I could show respect to my opponent or attack him after a match. Wrestlers played like the wrestlers they were because they had unique movesets full of moves they actually did.

Also there were AI settings for CAWsand and a great roster.

That's exactly what was so brilliantly good about HCTP to me.

Season mode was fun because it had unpredictability and control. I put in the wrestlers I wanted and took out those I didn't give a toss about. Only 32 CAWs but they had way more moves. I could turn on my partner if I wanted. I could show respect to my opponent or attack him after a match. Wrestlers played like the wrestlers they were because they had unique movesets full of moves they actually did.

Also there AI settings for CAWs.

This but I preferred SYM season mode

well said dude although probably adding flames to the pointless fire in answering in this topic,but i remember playing through it multiple times to go for different titles and still not getting tired of it, and still seeing new scenes months after the first play through, and loosing a match meant a change in direction for your career not retry match until you win to follow the one track story.

The game gave me creative control.. I could show respect to my opponent after the match, or give him a nasty beat-down. I had a choice and more control over the personality of my wrestler. There were well made pay-per-view promos that had cut-scenes featuring my chosen wrestler and the rival he had to face. It felt like I was part of a living, breathing wrestling show. My choices had logical consequences .

Yeah. I used a CAW with the Spider Muta mask in SYM, found out it was one of Muta's masks in HCTP, then had him, Surfer Sting, and Flair facing each other in Season Mode.

I had Goldberg, Lesnar, Batista, HHH, Angle, etc. Etc. On RAW with a few big man CAWs....then the vanilla midgets, Flair, Legends, CAWs, Hurricane, and just littler guys on Smackdown.

It was fun because I could just watch the matches and enjoy the move variety.

I would Rock Bottom people from a table set up in ring next to the ropes straight over the ropes and through a table set up outside.

I also liked Create a Taunt, rudimentary though it was.

Having unique Fighting Stances helped too, people were unique even standing still.

*sigh*

What everyone else has said. Pretty much speaks for itself.

Are you trying to say WWE '12 has a better story mode than HCTP? I honestly can't stand Road To WrestleMania. It's just so, so boring and lame. You have no control over anything, it's just a chore. I still enjoy playing Season mode in the old games, it's timeless. To answer your question the last time I played HCTP was just a few weeks ago. Infact after I got bored of WWE '12 (which was under a month) I've been playing the older SmackDown games a whole lot more again.

I've been looking for HCTP. I sold it to buy the first SVR, back when I expected THQ to build upon the series each year...which was back when they had integrity.

Would it take some getting used to? Yeah. Fewer grapple moves, no CAF, obviously a giant graphics hit.

Guess what though. It had moves out the ass and was fun to play.

That's a winning combination right there THQ, not shiny glitter, bugs, and a CC that works slightly better than (insert something known for not functioning in any way, shape, or form)

Same here. The only thing I preferred in HCTP was that when you restart the season mode, the champions stayed the same. That way, I could choose a new superstar to play as, and still continue with the same champions as before.

HCTP was great for 5 months then when you get bored of it (like with every WWE release other than Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy), you just leave it alone to collect dust and await the next one.

I never saw what was so amazingly legendary about the game at all personally.

It wasn't just HCTP season mode that was brilliant, it was so much more-the roster for a start was amazing, Lesnar, Godlberg, Hogan, Angle, RVD, Eddie etc all with individual moves they actually did on TV, post-match options, slobberknocker mode, create-a-taunt and season mode was just so good, interesting playable and not as unbelievable as Universe is

HCTP was great for 5 months then when you get bored of it (like with every WWE release other than Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy), you just leave it alone to collect dust and await the next one.

Glad you brought it up actually, Let's make a side section in this same thread so I don't "Fill this forum with garbage". What is so amazing about Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy? Besides what I've heard it was easy to Mod or is that it?

Glad you brought it up actually, Let's make a side section in this same thread so I don't "Fill this forum with garbage". What is so amazing about Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy? Besides what I've heard it was easy to Mod or is that it?

Wrestlemania 2000 I liked for the Create A Championship and the first fully extensive CAW mode THQ had attempted (cause before, they only allowed you to just swap bodies with other in game people).

No Mercy had a great Story Mode with branching trees based on match outcomes but outside of that, I don't think No Mercy was that great either.

HCTP storymode was ok nothing special. Mostly people like it because of the roster and gameplay. I personally think the rosters has been solid lately in WWE games. WWE12 roster is my personal favorite since HCTP. You guys gotta remember that HCTP and SYM was making up for their half assed efforts in Smackdown and JUST BRING IT! That's why HCTP was great- because of the timing.

My opinion is that, in terms of writing and an entertaining storyline, road to wrestlemania in WWE 12 was way better. But season in SYM and HCTP were way more fun. You actually felt like a wrestler, not just controlling one. the amount of energy they put into the cutscenes and the movements and all the hype... just a way better way to make it enjoyable. I'll be honest, I thought RTWM was amazing, but since I beat it, I haven't tried it once. The way they did it before made it new and different everytime, if only because you didn't play as the same character every freakin time.

My opinion is that, in terms of writing and an entertaining storyline, road to wrestlemania in WWE 12 was way better. But season in SYM and HCTP were way more fun. You actually felt like a wrestler, not just controlling one. the amount of energy they put into the cutscenes and the movements and all the hype... just a way better way to make it enjoyable. I'll be honest, I thought RTWM was amazing, but since I beat it, I haven't tried it once. The way they did it before made it new and different everytime, if only because you didn't play as the same character every freakin time.

Yeap I agree...They should at least give us the chance to choose which wrestler we want to use. Its not funny having wrestler shoved down our throaths

Never played it myself, but it sounds more up my alley than the current mode as I play a lot of sims and RPG's. Implementing those aspects into a wrestling game always sparks my interest. Whether or not they ever choose to do it again who knows. I just think they've tried too hard to make the game like WWE programming and a lot of us here don't want that. Now you could make the argument that since it is WWE game, that it should be like what happens in WWE. Well that's fine...it just means I won't be interested in it.

I dont care about the fact that the storylines were re-used from that year's televised events. The main reason why I still love to play HCTP season is because you can have your CAWs in it replacing the superstars. The season mode aknowledges which CAWs are face and heel. Seeing one of my heel CAWs do a cheap shot to one of my face CAWs during a backstage cutscene was MORE than enough to make me mark out. Not only that, but unlike the stories of now....when you lose matches in HCTP story, it doesnt make you repeat, the story continues, but differently.

For Years people have been talking about how brilliant Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain's Season Mode was. Myself I thought it was sloppy cut ups of old storylines shoved into a long boring and pointless year, when was the last time you guys even played Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain & What was so Brilliant about the Season Mode?

I thought it was pretty crap and felt No Mercy was a far better game. HCTP was seriously lacking full entrances.

Archived