Heated Discussion, what exactly was so brilliantly good about Here Comes The Pain's "Season" Mode?

SuicidalKissesProduction™

Played it not too long ago and the story mode was ok, but after a year the story was exactly the same for each year, so after one play through that was it, not much point carrying on as it was the same stories but with differnt people.

Btw, sI reckon this should be in the classic Smackdown games section rather than the WWE '12 section.

It's got some.relevance as Universe is essentially an updated Season mode.

Even though stories repeated I didn't seem them repeating very often. Certainly not to the point of there being no point in plying g two years of Season. Did you play one year exactly the same twice? You get different stories based on decisions. Identical decisions lead to identical stories.

HCTP was great for 5 months then when you get bored of it (like with every WWE release other than Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy), you just leave it alone to collect dust and await the next one.

I never saw what was so amazingly legendary about the game at all personally.

Glad you brought it up actually, Let's make a side section in this same thread so I don't "Fill this forum with garbage". What is so amazing about Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy? Besides what I've heard it was easy to Mod or is that it?

Well, here goes nothing...

No Mercy/WrestleMania 2000: At a high level, the in-ring gameplay, roster, and moves make these games legendary. The pacing of the matches felt like a REAL match. You didn't see matches start with running STO's and spears. A match would typically begin with a "feeling-out" period, where you and your opponent would circle each other and throw some light strikes or maybe attempt a light grapple, like a headlock or bodyslam. You wouldn't be doing powerbombs or piledrivers until you had significant momentum built up, or else the CPU would likely reverse or block your moves (yes, you had the choice of reversals OR blocks). Opponents reversed moves realistically, and in the right situations. You could perform multiple finishers while your "finisher" meter was flashing, so for example, Kurt Angle could hit the Angle Slam from behind, and immediately go for an Ankle Lock after that. Submissions were realistic and so was the limb/body damage. Every time you applied a submission, you'd hold it for a little longer before your opponent escaped, until finally they had no choice but to tap out. No other WWE game since has been able to do this properly. Bottom line is that wrestling matches typically begin slow, and have moments throughout the match where the action picks up, leading to the finish. NM and WM2000 captures this feeling perfectly. Also, the amount of moves is the CAW section was ridiculously large, and they were all animated very well for the time period. They also gave us 4 attires for every wrestler, and not just different color schemes... for example, Stone Cold had his regular tights, his t-shirt/shorts, his cap/different t-shirt, etc.

Today's WWE games give us maybe one alternate attire for a handful of wrestlers, and the make us pay for half of them. The matches usually start with your CPU opponent charging full speed towards you. The amount of moves in CAW is pathetic. The pacing is not realistic. You can only hit one finisher before your icon disappears, and you lose it if your opponent reverses... so that takes away the ability to create multiple finisher reversal scenarios before you actually hit the move. Wrestlers literally slide across the ring to get into proper position for certain moves. Matches can end WAY too easily, since you never know if your opponent will kick out, even if they're still fresh. Plus all the random bugs and glitches. The pinning system sucks, the submission system sucks... aye aye aye... too much to list.

Honestly, today's WWE games have better presentation and graphics, and more match types, modes, etc... but that's it!!! Everything else is crap compared to games that were released 11-12 years ago, which (in my opinion) makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

HCTP was great for 5 months then when you get bored of it (like with every WWE release other than Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy), you just leave it alone to collect dust and await the next one.

I never saw what was so amazingly legendary about the game at all personally.

Glad you brought it up actually, Let's make a side section in this same thread so I don't "Fill this forum with garbage". What is so amazing about Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy? Besides what I've heard it was easy to Mod or is that it?

Well, here goes nothing...

No Mercy/WrestleMania 2000: At a high level, the in-ring gameplay, roster, and moves make these games legendary. The pacing of the matches felt like a REAL match. You didn't see matches start with running STO's and spears. A match would typically begin with a "feeling-out" period, where you and your opponent would circle each other and throw some light strikes or maybe attempt a light grapple, like a headlock or bodyslam. You wouldn't be doing powerbombs or piledrivers until you had significant momentum built up, or else the CPU would likely reverse or block your moves (yes, you had the choice of reversals OR blocks). Opponents reversed moves realistically, and in the right situations. You could perform multiple finishers while your "finisher" meter was flashing, so for example, Kurt Angle could hit the Angle Slam from behind, and immediately go for an Ankle Lock after that. Submissions were realistic and so was the limb/body damage. Every time you applied a submission, you'd hold it for a little longer before your opponent escaped, until finally they had no choice but to tap out. No other WWE game since has been able to do this properly. Bottom line is that wrestling matches typically begin slow, and have moments throughout the match where the action picks up, leading to the finish. NM and WM2000 captures this feeling perfectly. Also, the amount of moves is the CAW section was ridiculously large, and they were all animated very well for the time period. They also gave us 4 attires for every wrestler, and not just different color schemes... for example, Stone Cold had his regular tights, his t-shirt/shorts, his cap/different t-shirt, etc.

Today's WWE games give us maybe one alternate attire for a handful of wrestlers, and the make us pay for half of them. The matches usually start with your CPU opponent charging full speed towards you. The amount of moves in CAW is pathetic. The pacing is not realistic. You can only hit one finisher before your icon disappears, and you lose it if your opponent reverses... so that takes away the ability to create multiple finisher reversal scenarios before you actually hit the move. Wrestlers literally slide across the ring to get into proper position for certain moves. Matches can end WAY too easily, since you never know if your opponent will kick out, even if they're still fresh. Plus all the random bugs and glitches. The pinning system sucks, the submission system sucks... aye aye aye... too much to list.

Honestly, today's WWE games have better presentation and graphics, and more match types, modes, etc... but that's it!!! Everything else is crap compared to games that were released 11-12 years ago, which (in my opinion) makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Well since they took care of

- Only have one finisher

- Warping acrossed the ring

- matches end way to easily

- Lack of moves

- The Submission system is beautiful

- The Pin system isn't hard to figure out

Have you even played WWE12? or are you talking completely out of your backside?

From the sounds of it, No Mercy sounds unbelievable boring. I do have a solution for the Running Strikes/Grapples at the beginning of the match, they did it in WWE All-Stars where you have no momentum to run unless you strike/grapple a few times.

Well since they took care of

- Only have one finisher

- Warping acrossed the ring

- matches end way to easily

- Lack of moves

- The Pin system isn't hard to figure out

From the sounds of it, No Mercy sounds unbelievable boring. I do have a solution for the Running Strikes/Grapples at the beginning of the match, they did it in WWE All-Stars where you have no momentum to run unless you strike/grapple a few times.

Not sure why I'm even responding to this, as you seem to be the one talking out of your own backside, but I will anyways. I bought WWE '12 the day it was released, and played it everyday for over 2 months before I sold it. I have been buying wrestling games since Wrestlemania Challenge for the original NES in 1990. I bought WrestleMania 2000 and No Mercy on the day those were released as well, and have bought every Smackdown/SvR/WWE game on their release dates. So yes, I've played these games EXTENSIVELY, and I know a good wrestling game when I see it. So let's pick apart your comments about the things they "fixed"

- Only have one finisher (Only if you have the ability to get 3 finishers... otherwise, you lose your icon if your finisher is reversed and you have to start gaining momentum again... and sometimes you or your opponent will randomly get a finisher for no reason, which wasn't a problem in previous WWE games)

- Warping acrossed the ring (They fixed this? Really?? I'm not talking about how an opponent will teleport to the middle of the ring.. yes they did fix that, but it looks terrible now.. I'm talking about how wrestlers will literally slide across the mat if they're too close to the ropes, etc, sometimes sliding almost halfway across the ring)

- matches end way to easily (I'm still able to pin opponents in just a few minutes, when they haven't taken a lot of damage)

- Lack of moves (Really?? There are more moves in WWE '12 than SvR 2011, but still MUCH less than older games)

- The Submission system is beautiful (Is it?? I find it to be incredibly unbalanced. You either get reversed almost immediately, or you almost make your opponent submit. There isn't much middle ground)

- The Pin system isn't hard to figure out (I didn't say it was hard to figure out... you stop the meter when it reaches the correct point. It sucks because it doesn't appear until right before the ref counts to 2, and because the window is so narrow (unless you have resiliency) that even if you haven't taken a lot of damage, it can still be challenging to kick out. I've lost several matches because of this... I missed the first time, and the ref already counted to 3 by the second attempt. That doesn't mimic real wrestling at all. At least with button mashing, it truly does take only your damage into account, and isn't based on timing or accuracy)

Anything else you want to mention???

HCTP was the first of the SD series for me. Yes i had played older games, mainly ones on the 64 (no mercy, attitude, etc) so HCTP will always have a special place me. The storyline was only the same unless you choose the same path. You could be a face or heel. I always loved the form a faction story, where i would always choose HBK first, Stacy or Trish as the mgr (depending who i liked at them time) and then for the last member, i always kicked that person out and made it HHH, for DX. I loved interacting backstage, and the whole mode made it feel like YOU were that exact person.

Screw it then...once again...

Season mode was fun because it had unpredictability and control. I put in the wrestlers I wanted and took out those I didn't give a toss about. Only 32 CAWs but they had way more moves. I could turn on my partner if I wanted. I could show respect to my opponent or attack him after a match. Wrestlers played like the wrestlers they were because they had unique movesets full of moves they actually did.

Also there were AI settings for CAWsand and a great roster.

That's exactly what was so brilliantly good about HCTP to me.

This.

I also liked how it kept a history of previous matches you had for a full year and title history. I'd like to see the title history come back, tbh.

I personally liked that games options at the end of the match where after you win the match it asked you if you wanted to push one button to simply celebrate, or another to attack the downed person. I actually think that'd be a welcome addition to the universe mode because rather than let the game make heels FOR you, you could use that option at the end of a match and put the direction you want into motion yourself. I think that is a small addition they could bring back to the universe mode. Yes it was part of the story mode in HCTP, but still putting that in universe mode would help you yourself decide who and when will make a hell turn. The universe could from there decide what animation to use...either the person attacks with a steel pipe or chair, or the person attacks you and then a cut scene happens where one of your allies saves you. Thoughts?

I personally liked that games options at the end of the match where after you win the match it asked you if you wanted to push one button to simply celebrate, or another to attack the downed person. I actually think that'd be a welcome addition to the universe mode because rather than let the game make heels FOR you, you could use that option at the end of a match and put the direction you want into motion yourself. I think that is a small addition they could bring back to the universe mode. Yes it was part of the story mode in HCTP, but still putting that in universe mode would help you yourself decide who and when will make a hell turn. The universe could from there decide what animation to use...either the person attacks with a steel pipe or chair, or the person attacks you and then a cut scene happens where one of your allies saves you. Thoughts?

id love to see this in universe mode, sick of having to correct evrytime the cpu decides my caw is turning heel

Sounds like you're the one talking out of backside, sunshine. I wonder what that fateful meeting was like, exactly. "Hey, let's ruin the submissions system entirely by making a red limb+signature move submission leave no room for escaping." That's such a beautiful system, seeing as just about everyone i've ever played has submissions in both the signature and finisher slots. In the old games you picked the moves that you wanted, not the moves that were just for cheap wins.

I would of replied to the rest, but I have to go to an interview.

Sounds like you're the one talking out of backside, sunshine. I wonder what that fateful meeting was like, exactly. "Hey, let's ruin the submissions system entirely by making a red limb+signature move submission leave no room for escaping." That's such a beautiful system, seeing as just about everyone i've ever played has submissions in both the signature and finisher slots. In the old games you picked the moves that you wanted, not the moves that were just for cheap wins.

I would of replied to the rest, but I have to go to an interview.

Never had the issue, I'm usually good at stop submissions let it be my limbs are red or let it be a signature. I suppose, this could be chalked up to you can't stand to lose or you have an issue with winning.

Archived