Do YOU Consider The Attitude Era Overrated?

St★rstruck

I'm just looking for other people's opinion's on what they thought about the Attitude Era. Personally, I think the Attitude Era was good, but it wasn't as good to the extent wrestling fans (especially on the Internet) make it out to be. I think people are forgetting that the main reason the Attitude Era existed is because of the competition WWE had in the form of WCW.

IMO, most people who rave about the Attitude Era being "a great time for professional wrestling" never actually grew up watching it, or either weren't born, which has led me to believe that the younger fans (mostly in IWC) are getting their information second-hand from older people who actually experienced it instead of going by what other people tell them, and wathcing countless hours of matches from the Attitude Era somewhere on YouTube every day.

I see people complain about there being a lack of substantial wrestling on the TV shows nowadays compared to the Attitude Era. IMO, there were less matches, and more promos/segments in the Attitude Era. I think the Ruthless Aggression Era was far more consistent when it came to not only more wrestling matches, but better wrestling matches in general.

Also, I'll never understand how some people think that bringing back the TV14 rating will make the overall product better? You don't need blood, and swearing/cursing to have what most people are dying to see more of...WRESTLING. Just like the current product, for every thing that went good, there was always something that was bad.

Thoughts?

I grew up doing the attitude era,it still also happens to be my favorite era to date. And hey maybe because it's nostalgia but at times yes it's very overrated imo. People give it too much at times but there were so many great mid carders back then so it all flowed.

The first time I started watching WWF was during the Attitude Era. So yes I do love it and all the moments it brought, but I'm not one of those people that go, "OMG *censored* VINCE AND PG, BRING BACK ATTITUDE ERA TRIPLE H DX TAKER KANE BOD. LIKE IF YOU AGREE." I prefer the Ruthless Agression era though, that's what I really grew up with. And honestly, the past year or so has been the best and most enjoyable WWE has been in years.

I don't, but like any great period, fans will hype it up more than it actually was, including myself from time to time. But it was THE greatest period for pro wrestling as a whole, it got pro wrestling out there and made it socially relevant. Some storylines sucked and had no logic applied at all, but the vast majority of the time it was very entertaining. All the way from the lower card to the main event guys, they had storylines going for them all. I believe if it wasn't for WCW, WWF/E would not have had to up their game, I believe that is the problem today, competition, or lack there of, and the creative team being *censoring* soap opera writers.

The Attitude era wouldn't be considered overrated if there were not so many flaws with today's landscape in Wrestling. You don't have the monday night wars, and you don't have alot of big personalities on either side competing for your viewership. I don't see the Attitude Era as bad as some people who would defend the PG era with their dying breath, but I know there were quirks, and drawbacks that it had. The best thing about the Attitude Era imo was WWF's infrastructure. While creative put out some pretty shitty midcard storylines, the rest of what they did was phenominal. From how big matches always had several storylines, and several superstars always involved, and creative always did a good job of making everything intertwine together at the end of the night whether it involved run-ins, backstage brawls, or turns. Plus it seemed there was like a trust between talent, and the bookers that they could deliver quality every night. It seems now, the superstars have to strictly stay within cue card type material, and can't really deviate or adlib from what creative tells them, with the exception of CM Punk.

Yes it is indeed overrated and overly hyped. Growing up in the Golden age of professional wrestling and ending up to this PG era, it makes me realize that they all had a different audience. While yeah we GOlden era fans will defend our time in professional wrestling to the bone because we know what it was. The creative was shitty in Attitude era besides the Main Event storylines. Championships were being put on losers and were being disgraced *Chyna winning the IC championship is nothing but a disgrace to the history of the title.* The only top players the WWF had at the time were the ones who used creative control alas Austin.

I dislike the attitude era for it's bitterness towards the product at the time, the way it handled situations due to Vince's real life issues with the courts, and the ridiculous amounts of dumb storylines that made no sense. ECW usually gets bitched on about on how it was only hardcore, but when the time came for it ECW did have some GREAT techincal wrestlers and matches. Hell even under the NWO era WCW was STILL able to treat it's fans to 5 star crusierweight matches and light heavyweight matches.

Had it not been for ECW's influence and the WCW's nwo, WWF attitude era wouldn't have existed and we would be looking at WCW and ECW.

Being a kid at that time, it was so fun being a fan during that period. It was mainstream accectable, it was something you could talk about with all your friends because they all watched it too. You could see the stars on things other then wrestling, Rock hosting SNL, for example. It was so diverse and just fun to be apart of. Competition really made all the difference at that time, because being able to watch WCW and the WWF and being able to take in all of that and to see all the difference styles of wrestling, the storylines, to see everything unfold was really something.

Not to mention, every part of the show had focus and thought and care put into it. Even if before 2000, the midcard sucked, it still had storylines and development, and the fans actually cared about it. Even the jobbers had their own characters and their own things going on, go back and check out some of the lower card guys at that time and you'll see they got crowd reactions that might rival some of today's top guys.

At the same time, some of the overrate it does get annoys me, especially on YouTube or other sites where it's all about the AE and TV-14 > PG and all that shit. I do think alot of people overlook the bad of that time and ignore some of the shittier parts of that era, but that's like that with everything that people look back on, rose tinted glasses tend to do that. And I think even with the dumb shit they had then, it atleast came off as them trying, whereas today I don't get that anymore.

I couldn't say it was overrated though because I grew up then and I loved it all. And I do think the WWE cared more then and they tried harder. Even if it was because of competition, they seemed like they put forth their best effort every night. I don't really get that feeling anymore. They pull out all the stops from January to April for Mania and June to August for Summerslam and the rest of the year they just coast by doing whatever. They need competition, and the lack of that is a huge reason for the decline the business has had and IMO will continue to have till somebody can step up and challenge them.

I personally think the Ruthless Agression Era is overall a better time period. I watched both WWF and WCW casually during the Attitude Era, but I really got into wrestling around 2003-ish, when Evolution was at it's peak. Evolution (and Eddie Guerrero) almost single-handedly got me into watching wrestling.

Being a kid at that time, it was so fun being a fan during that period. It was mainstream accectable, it was something you could talk about with all your friends because they all watched it too. You could see the stars on things other then wrestling, Rock hosting SNL, for example. It was so diverse and just fun to be apart of. Competition really made all the difference at that time, because being able to watch WCW and the WWF and being able to take in all of that and to see all the difference styles of wrestling, the storylines, to see everything unfold was really something.

Not to mention, every part of the show had focus and thought and care put into it. Even if before 2000, the midcard sucked, it still had storylines and development, and the fans actually cared about it. Even the jobbers had their own characters and their own things going on, go back and check out some of the lower card guys at that time and you'll see they got crowd reactions that might rival some of today's top guys.

At the same time, some of the overrate it does get annoys me, especially on YouTube or other sites where it's all about the AE and TV-14 > PG and all that shit. I do think alot of people overlook the bad of that time and ignore some of the shittier parts of that era, but that's like that with everything that people look back on, rose tinted glasses tend to do that. And I think even with the dumb shit they had then, it atleast came off as them trying, whereas today I don't get that anymore.

I couldn't say it was overrated though because I grew up then and I loved it all. And I do think the WWE cared more then and they tried harder. Even if it was because of competition, they seemed like they put forth their best effort every night. I don't really get that feeling anymore. They pull out all the stops from January to April for Mania and June to August for Summerslam and the rest of the year they just coast by doing whatever. They need competition, and the lack of that is a huge reason for the decline the business has had and IMO will continue to have till somebody can step up and challenge them.

Well said :cool:

Personally my favorite era was the ruthless aggression era, but I believe the attitude era is better. Why? Competition. WCW.

Competition is a good thing. For instance, if you're leading a big company and have competition, you need to try your best in order to win over the sales, or whatever it is you're doing with your company. So quite frankly, I believe you can't say the Attitude era is overrated. Perhaps over-hyped by fans. But the over-hyping is certainly justified because of numerous reasons.

First of all, every era in wwe had its ups and downs, the pros and cons. The attitude era was "too cheesy" at times, the ruthless aggression era was in my opinion all-around good, but lacked hype as time passed - it got old fast. The PG era is "too kiddy" which is basically the opposite of wrestling and fighting. This is by far the biggest flaw any era of wwe had. (Not business related, but entertainment related) on the other hand, the attitude era had the best segments, promos, emotion and hype. The ruthless aggression era was an all-around well area with solid promos, wrestling and storylines. The PG era has awesome match quality, much like the 80's.

But in the end, it all comes down to your subjective thoughts, and you decide what you like best. Weather you go for match quality or promos, you get to pick what you like. However, you can't call a certain era over-rated because many fans have chosen it as their favorite. As I've stated - every era has ups and downs, and you cant base your statement of it being "overrated" because of two-three bad things regarding it. In the end, the occasional cheesiness of the attitude era isn't as bad as "not enough hype" and it damn right isn't as bad as having hornswoggle and whiteknight cena running around ruining everything. So objectively looking into things, it has a well deserved 1st position, mainly because of the amount of effort put into it thanks to competition. But I still think the ruthless aggression era is better, and my favorite.

If you didn't see it live you'll never understand it.

The attitude era was a BRAND NEW form of TV wrestling, and blew away everything prior.

It doesn't seem all that amazing now, because since it's all been recycled and done better. At that time though it was brand new, every week was exciting, the promos were abundant but they pushed the line SO FAR compared to anything prior that it didn't feel that way at all.

Nobody takes into account the prior landscape of wrestling before the attitude era. What it changed from is almost more important that what it turned into.

I'm just looking for other people's opinion's on what they thought about the Attitude Era. Personally, I think the Attitude Era was good, but it wasn't as good to the extent wrestling fans (especially on the Internet) make it out to be. I think people are forgetting that the main reason the Attitude Era existed is because of the competition WWE had in the form of WCW.

IMO, most people who rave about the Attitude Era being "a great time for professional wrestling" never actually grew up watching it, or either weren't born, which has led me to believe that the younger fans (mostly in IWC) are getting their information second-hand from older people who actually experienced it instead of going by what other people tell them, and wathcing countless hours of matches from the Attitude Era somewhere on YouTube every day.

I see people complain about there being a lack of substantial wrestling on the TV shows nowadays compared to the Attitude Era. IMO, there were less matches, and more promos/segments in the Attitude Era. I think the Ruthless Aggression Era was far more consistent when it came to not only more wrestling matches, but better wrestling matches in general.

Also, I'll never understand how some people think that bringing back the TV14 rating will make the overall product better? You don't need blood, and swearing/cursing to have what most people are dying to see more of...WRESTLING. Just like the current product, for every thing that went good, there was always something that was bad.

Thoughts?

Honestly, I think many of the people who call it overrated never watched it either.

The Attitude era can be overrated or underrated depending on how you look at it.

The WWF/E was more successful during the Attitude era than it is now though. That's NOT an opinion, that is a FACT. They drew higher ratings overall and more consistently in the late 90's, early 2000's than they have in the past 5 years or so.

I enjoyed Attitude... much more so than what I've seen from WWE in the second half of the first decade of the new millennium. But we are in a new decade now, it's 2012. I like what I've been seeing this past year. I feel that a new leaf has been turned. It's gradual, but that's ok, sometimes the best types of change are gradual.

For what it's worth, I'll take Attitude over the PG era anytime. I've been around plenty long enough that I've watched both. And I even watched WWF and WCW prior to the Monday Night Wars. Both products were horrifically awful. Those words don't even do it justice... they were comical really. I remember when the Yeti attacked Hulkamania. I didn't just look it up on youtube, I vividly (and unfortunately) remember sitting in front of my TV when Ron Reese (wrapped in a mummy costume) came out as the Yeti and proceeded to dry hump Hogan. I call this the WrestleCrap era. Then the nWo storyline pulled WCW out of it's funk. WWE answered with Attitude, the rest is history. Wrestling became really popular, but some of that popularity did rely on shock value and shock value just isn't a long term sustainable business model. Not in music, not in wrasslin either.

I don't think Attitude is overrated or underrated... it just is what it is, ya know. Plenty of icons emerged, the show was more intense and interesting overall, but there were some bad choices on the creative end that produced some cringe-worthy moments. I don't know that it matters how it was "rated". If you enjoyed it... great, if not, oh well. If you didn't live through it firsthand, well it's great to check out stars like Austin and the Rock and others.

I don't, I like many grew up during the Attitude Era. It was a time where everyone watched wrestling, whether it be WWE or WCW and you always had someone to talk to about it. There had never been a time where I couldn't wait to for the week to end at school so I could watch RAW and SmackDown (back then in the UK RAW and SmackDown were shown on Friday and Saturday.) and hasn't been since. So as far as I go it was the greatest time in WWE history.

I tend to think that those who say that they don't like it are saying that because the majority of them didn't experience it, and they're trying to make up for that by saying "well what we have today is better so i don't care that i missed it merp merp". Whether you think it's overrated or underrated, It doesn't matter, because regardless of what you think, it existed, and people will look back fondly on it for what it was, and that's a ton o' fun.

It's only overrated by nostalgia-driven fanboys who refuse to even give the current product a chance because they are so overflown with emotions from the past. It was a very good era, possible the best within the WWE and it. The only thing I can really flaw it on was that it's wrestling wasn't exactly up to scratch.

It's only overrated by nostalgia-driven fanboys who refuse to even give the current product a chance because they are so overflown with emotions from the past. It was a very good era, possible the best within the WWE and it. The only thing I can really flaw it on was that it's wrestling wasn't exactly up to scratch.

That's very debatable.

That's very debatable.

Well, so is everything that has been said in this topic.

That's very debatable.

Most Attitude era TV shows contained short matches with mostly non-finishes. It wasn't that great.

Archived