The Bands you love, but everyone else hates.

BlackToxic

Die antwoord. Legitimately like them.

I f*cking love MCR. Saw them live, and they were great. Good energy. I just f*cking hate their newest album. But their first three were so amazing. Black Parade is up there with my favorites of all time.

Hated black parade, loved I brought you my bullets, you brought me your love, and 3 cheers do revenge was a perfect album. And did not and have no intention of listening to danger days

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Added spoiler tags to reduce wall of text.

I like: Slipknot, Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, 3OH!3, My Chemical Romance, Bullet 4 My Valentine and Linkin Park which are all viewed as uncool where I live but that's probably because I live in a typical Hip Hop Street where you get laughed at if you listen to any kind of rock,metal etc. 3OH!3 are trash but it's catchy.

The irony is

that most of that stuff is currently uncool amongst people who listen to rock and metal as well.

I don't know about MCR, I'm sure they have a fanbase still. I know Linkin Park does. They get hate for being mainstream, but they still have fans at least. As for FOB, well the emo thing is kinda dead now right? And BFMV capitalized on the emo scene too, but by adding a dose of metal. I don't blame bands like them and Avenged for jumping on that concept... but it's not my thing.

And finally...

Slipknot is usually the target for most of the nu metal hate. IMO it's for good reason. I have to agree with "most people u know". I really hate that band. I'm not alone... everyone I know hates on Slipknot. Because nobody wants to pin that hate on bands who innovated a new style like Korn and the Deftones. I for one respect the hell out of Korn and the Deftones. They created a new style that was different than everything else out there. They weren't on a mission to create "Nu" metal. They were just being different. But a band like Slipknot is a total derivative of the nu metal scene. And some of the early groups (like the Deftones especially) at least had strong lyricz (no pun intended :lol:). System of a Down isn't my cup of tea musically, but they aren't that bad. Serj is an intelligent guy and their songs had meaning and lyricism to them. So those types of bands don't get hated much, and when they do (SOAD gets some online hate) there is at least counterpoints to show that they had merit. But Slipknot was just mindless, aggressive nonsense with breakdowns and shit.

When you have 9 people in your f*ckin band, and not a real musician amongst them... it's no surprise that Slipknot became a laughing stock after their initial wave of popularity had faded.

If "every band today sounds like Nickelback", wouldn't that mean Nickelback originated the genre that you hate? At least they were innovators at one point; it's everyone else that gave them a bad name :rolleyes:

They should be hated even more for originating such a dull genre then, plus they aren't good.

That's where I disagree,

see I can appreciate and respect musical innovation, even if I don't like it. I don't know who started emo, I really don't care who started emo as I hate emo, but whoever did has my respect for doing something different.

The thing is, I don't know that Nickelback actually innovated a style. Post-grunge existed before them. Bands like Days of the New and so on. Nickelback just became big arena level popular. So did 3 Doors Down and other remotely similar bands though. So I don't really think Nickelback started any movements in music.

What? Do you honestly think that none of them are talented? As someone said before me, Joey Joridson was awarded as the best drummer several times & Corey's voice is great as it ranges a lot. I'm a huge SlipKnot fan and I always will be and even I'll admit that some of the band members albeit possibly aren't needed. Although they do all play their part and are talented as musicians. They wouldnt have survived for over 10 years if they were talentless.

Tell that to Coldplay. Fckin hate them.

ICP lasted around 10 years and they really are f*cking talentless. If there is one music (and I use that term real f*cking loosely) act on the planet that I hate more than any other it's the Insane Clown Pussies. They truly are devoid of any talent and yet they stuck around for a while, so that argument that a group must have some talent if they had some staying power doesn't really hold up.

But I didn't go as far as to say that Slipknot were completely talentless. I said they weren't real musicians. I do fully understand how that could be taken as meaning the exact same thing. Not really my intent, but that is my fault none the less for any confusion. That doesn't mean I like Slipknot, but I would rate them about a billion times higher than ICP for example.

Well i wouldn't say their isn't a real musician amonst

them Joey Jordison was awarded as best drummer several times if I recall corecctly. And vocalist's are preytt much preference. As far as their actual sound goes, I started noticing them when I had a pretty big down phase in my life and the average heartbreak shit every band does now and then (Beeing Vermillion Part 2 for them) was interesing because the first tracks I heard were Wait & Bleed and Spit it out which wasn't my cup of tea back then but the aggression was very releasing around that time and the soft song surprised me because the image I had of them was just 9 guys in weird masks with a lot of screaming but the melodic part got me hooked. I stopped listening for a while and then I started listening to Stone Sour which is Corey Taylor

s band (He is singer of Slipknot, just incase you don't know) and I liked the way he sang. Then their 3rd Album came out and it was rather dark but melodic and I just got hooked with it. It's probably not exactl the smartest music nor the technically best but it just sounds good to me and not only did it help me through a tough time (God that sound's like I'm a huge pussy, I apologize...) and it went with me through the time when most teenager's need the feeling to be unique which is easy in a huge Hip Hop town with listening to Slipknot.

As far as FOB, PATD! and B4MV goes: Yeah, It's pretty emo-ish but FOB's singer has a great voice imo and B4MV's instrumental work was great to me and the voice was, not exactly great but cool. But with the exception of a couple of songs from them it's pretty simple empty songwriting. But hey lok at Nirvana. Cobain said himself he didn't cared about his lyrics and just wrote it because it was necessary and look how beloved they are. These are just bands to listen to the sound and maybe sing along that's for sure.

I knew Corey from Slipknot is the guy from Stone Sour. Also I understand where you are coming from. And it doesn't make you or anyone else a pussy for using music to get you through a tough time. Seriously dude, there is nothing wrong with that. Some people turn to drugs and shit for that... music is a much better solution if it works for ya.

I just feel like there is a lot of better music out there than bands like Slipknot, that serve the same purpose. But it's not your fault, because we don't get exposed directly to much of it. I used to listen to a lot more nu metal than I do now. And I almost feel like we (Americans) were robbed by the music industry. Robbed of being able to listen to good music... by the influence of grunge. Don't get me wrong, I like some grunge bands... Nirvana isn't one of them, but there are some like Soundgarden that I do enjoy. But my point is that the grunge movement made a lot of stuff that was awesome really uncool by the early 90's. And I was a little kid back then, so I don't feel betrayed by the music industry so much... as I feel robbed. America got grunge... but Europe was mostly unscathed by the flannel scourge, so many forms of metal lived on, and/or quickly reemerged.

It's like we had grunge, but they had power metal, we had nu metal, but they had melodeth, they had Euro industrial, and we got second rate American industrial, we had Tampa death which was pretty cool, but even then, Europe (and some bands in North America to our credit) put technical and progressive spins on that sub-genre which took it to the next level. And now as far as popular stuff goes: they have gothic/symphonic stuff with gorgeous female lead singers with equally beautiful voices and we ended up with whiny post-emo kids who vainly attempt to ape Metallica, like Avenged 7 fold. Now I'm a pretty damn patriotic guy when it comes to my country, but when it comes to music, I'm a bigger fan of what's been going on in Europe for the past 20 years or so than in the U.S.

But the problem is that the internet wasn't what it was back in the 90's. So many of us, myself included were blind to much of this. But there is such an overwhelming amount of ways to discover music here in 2012 that the blinders have long been off.

Well I'm ready to get hate but...

Korn

Slipnkot

Emmure

A7X

Bullet For My Valentine

A Day To Remember

Basically online everyone hate on any Metalcore, Deathcore, Nu Metal, or Pop Metal

but in real life people give me shit for liking some real metal or punk. Like Protest The Hero, Slayer, The Wonder Years, and Anti Flag are bands people in real life give me shit for.

I know I can sound abrasive at times, but I know exactly what you mean with your example. Which is why in most of our arguments here on this subject I've done my best to be respectful to you and other fans of that stuff.

Going by your example:

If only those people online would chill out and take a look at the big picture and/or realize that the internet wasn't shit back in like 1992 that would help. Same as if those people in real life would be more open minded about new music when they venture online, that would also help tremendously.

Marilyn Manson - Most people I know still like to take the Religious stance on disliking his music, but I have been a fan since I heard his cover of Sweet Dreams.

I wish I could say Slipknot, but a lot of people I hang out with like them.

Lady Gaga

My Chemical Romance

KISS

Hollywood Undead

Duran Duran

Cheap Trick

Rammstein

I get the it is not cool to still like 80's Hair Metal thing a lot, but I don't care I still love it. Sad thing is I know a lot of it does suck, but I still love it.

Same thing with the 80's New Wave stuff.

Huey Lewis and The News

New Kids on the Block

The Clash

Pink Floyd

Why would you wish that your friends hate them ? Isn't that a good thing that you and your friends have something in common about music ? Like when you go to concerts or something ?

Marilyn Manson - Most people I know still like to take the Religious stance on disliking his music, but I have been a fan since I heard his cover of Sweet Dreams.

Lady Gaga

My Chemical Romance

KISS

Hollywood Undead

Duran Duran

Cheap Trick

Rammstein

I get the it is not cool to still like 80's Hair Metal thing a lot, but I don't care I still love it. Sad thing is I know a lot of it does suck, but I still love it.

Same thing with the 80's New Wave stuff.

Huey Lewis and The News

New Kids on the Block

The Clash

Pink Floyd

Why would anyone hate on The Clash, let alone Pink Floyd? Were those last bands added just to see if we were still reading? Seriously you do realize that those two at the end, now in bold, have much more substance to them then everything else on your list combined right. And in the case of Pink Floyd, more technical talent than the entire list combined as well.

The only other band on your list I like is Rammstein. Seriously awesome stage show they had back in the day!

Archived