Brodus Clay

Lumpy McRighteous

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was a smart move IMO. We already have a generic dominant powerhouse that's in the main event scene, nothing would come out of having two. Before his career would have started he would have already been out shone by Mark Henry. Besides, it's not like he'll have this character for the rest of his career-- remember Sexual Chocolate?

RAW'S BOUT TO GET FUNKY UP IN HERE~!

Rather this than a generic monster heel.

This, I enjoyed it, Im not sure if he should keep the gimmick for a very long time but, I say keep it until he's of use to the heel side of the show, It made me laugh nonstop for like ten minutes, I hope he gets a different variation of the song he had, it didnt catch on to me that quickly.

I agree with Driver. I'm tired of giant monster arriving and squashing everyone. This is at least just a nice change of pace. I dig it. I forsee a tag team with Santino in the future.

I duno see him teaming with The Usos like a too cool v2

I'm hoping for a team with Percy Watson, he and Titus aren't going anywhere. :shift:

RAW'S BOUT TO GET FUNKY UP IN HERE~!

Rather this than a generic monster heel.

I agree but they overuse the "funky" thing alot in wrestling.

It's like the only surefire way to make sure a big, fat dude gets over as a babyface.

I'm pretty sure it's origins can be traced to one of the most naturally charismatic guys in wrestling history, Dusty Rhodes. He was a top billed guy back in the day when he was in shape, but as he got older, he stayed on top as a big, funky white dude and he was incredibly popular.

Since then, any hefty guy that the WWE wants to be a babyface instead of heel, they like try to emulate this. Now the funkiness can be substituted for a hip-hop or even rock vibe, but it's all the same really. Rikishi, Man Mountain Rock, Viscera when he was Mabel, PN News (of ECW,WCW). 2 Cold Scorpio's not that tubby, but he got the Flash Funk treatment none the less. Same with Public Enemy, I mean those guys weren't skinny and they did nothing but heel antics but were faces because they liked hip-hop.

Still I'm enjoying this Funkasauras gimmick so far, it was one of just a few high notes from last night's show. I love how he calls spots outloud and just acts goofy, he's already added a layer to this style of gimmick that others have not.

I think it's about time fun over the top gimmicks came back...Everyone's always griping about the PG era being boring....Well, it might as well have some shades of fun to it and how far could Clay have gotten being a smash 'em up heel knowing after WM, he'd just become John Cena fodder? Not far...

That's a good point, because most of wrestling's worst eras like all the Wrestlecrap in the mid 1990's can still be fondly remembered by their over the top ridiculousness and cheesy gimmicks. But like WWE circa 2008, 9, etc... isn't going to be remember that fondly, because PG stuff is even more boring without some flash.

I like it in the sense that the guy has a ton of personality. When he did an exploder suplex on Hawkins and called out "Suplex!" when he did it, I marked out. Even though the match was about 3 minutes, he kept me entertained by calling out stuff and saying things like, "My bad!"

The biggest problem I have with this gimmick is that it will pigeon hole him into a role that really never goes anywhere. It'll be fun for a while, but can you actually see him make a legitimate push with this character? I doubt it. Either way, he'll get over, and at least I'll get to see him say funny shit and actually wrestle (something missing from a lot of big guys).

Yeah, I really liked his channeling of A Double by calling out moves. The little subtle wiggling he did after each move was funny too. :lol:

And I fully agree on the second part. His red singlet is like a horrible reminder of when Mizark was made into the Kool-Aid Man, but I'm hoping that Brodus won't get knocked down that low. This gimmick's pretty cool, but I'm looking much more forward to the payoff of him turning heel again and tearing fools apart.

So you guys would rather he just debuted as just another boring generic monster heel? I honestly don't understand some people. Personally I loved it, he's just so lovable and his facial expressions, gestures and comments during the match were absolutely hilarious. Won me over instantly.

This.

I thought he was going to come out with some generic ominous theme and act like some generic monster. I love the gimmick. I was just so surprised by the whole thing. It was silly and I loved it.

At first I thought we'll just get another monster who'll walk seriously to the ring and squash his opponent.

The fans there in the arena expected the same thing and weren't really that much excited.

But when he came in the way he did, I was going nuts and you could tell the audience loved it.

I'm a fan now.

As nice a "change of pace" as it was it doesn't bode well for him that both King and Cole couldn't stop laughing at him. They were laughing at him for real, not with him or pretend laughing. If he's already a joke within seconds of debuting what's gonna happen to him when the act gets stale and no one's laughing any more?

As nice a "change of pace" as it was it doesn't bode well for him that both King and Cole couldn't stop laughing at him. They were laughing at him for real, not with him or pretend laughing. If he's already a joke within seconds of debuting what's gonna happen to him when the act gets stale and no one's laughing any more?

"injury" then re-debut as a monster.

Archived