The Last of Us Series

FulGore

This is literally the one and only time I've ever regretted not owning both consoles. The gameplay is superb, and the character development and storytelling is unparalleled. This is easily one of the best games of this generation, and sadly, all I've been able to do is watch it. I've missed out on one hell of a ride.

Did you watch a walk through?

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is literally the one and only time I've ever regretted not owning both consoles. The gameplay is superb, and the character development and storytelling is unparalleled. This is easily one of the best games of this generation, and sadly, all I've been able to do is watch it. I've missed out on one hell of a ride.

I watched a friend play a chunk of it (a few hours or so), then I watched a video containing every cutscene. I didn't bother watching a walkthrough, as I was mainly just interested in seeing the story line play out.

I watched a friend play a chunk of it (a few hours or so), then I watched a video containing every cutscene. I didn't bother watching a walkthrough, as I was mainly just interested in seeing the story line play out.

Oh man you've missed out. Uncharted 2 is the only other PS3 game I'd say it on par with Last of Us when it comes to script and story telling.

Oh man you've missed out. Uncharted 2 is the only other PS3 game I'd say it on par with Last of Us when it comes to script and story telling.

To think that Naughty Dog developed both too..

It's clear to see Naughty Dog are on of the best developers right now. Even the online multiplayer is hella fun.

It really is. The only thing I'm not overly fond of when it comes to the MP is the matchmaking itself and the randomly being kicked from the servers.

Hey, we are in the same boat here bro. This is the first time I've regretted not having a PS3 too. I watched a friend play it for maybe an hour tops, toward the beginning. I have not watched any cutscene vids though and I'm holding out hope that I'll be able to dodge major spoilers for the next few years before I buy a cheap, second hand PS3 to try it.

Anyway, if you're looking for a zombie fix, AND if you love open world sandbox games as much as I do... check out State of Decay. I've heard a lot of people saying they enjoy it more than The Last of Us. I technically haven't played TLOU so I can't say. Zombie themed environments are the ONLY thing they have in common anyways, they play radically different. But State of Decay is awesome. Buggy and glitchy as hell, but follows through on a great concept none the less. I'm more of a sandbox gamer than a linear, story driven gamer though, so that is probably why it appeals to me so much. But SoD features multiple main characters that you switch between and permadeath that cannot be turned off. It makes the game world feel more akin to an actual zombie apocalypse than any game... ever! But it's not the polished, AAA project that the Last of Us is.

I do have a question for those who have beaten TLOU... and please, no spoilers. How many hours did it take to beat and would you play through it again? That's my only concern... because often times games that are heavily story driven end up killing the replayability for me at least. I don't doubt that it's a masterpiece. And I don't blame developers for making games that are sort of like interactive media more than just a game, in fact it's cool to see that sort of thing, but I would hate, hate, hate if the industry ever went so far in that direction that we didn't really have any real games anymore. By real games I just mean games that focus on gameplay and fun factor and replay value and just stuff you want to play again and again. I mean Smash Brothers Brawl doesn't have a point to it, nor does it need it in the slightest.

Hey, we are in the same boat here bro. This is the first time I've regretted not having a PS3 too. I watched a friend play it for maybe an hour tops, toward the beginning. I have not watched any cutscene vids though and I'm holding out hope that I'll be able to dodge major spoilers for the next few years before I buy a cheap, second hand PS3 to try it.

Anyway, if you're looking for a zombie fix, AND if you love open world sandbox games as much as I do... check out State of Decay. I've heard a lot of people saying they enjoy it more than The Last of Us. I technically haven't played TLOU so I can't say. Zombie themed environments are the ONLY thing they have in common anyways, they play radically different. But State of Decay is awesome. Buggy and glitchy as hell, but follows through on a great concept none the less. I'm more of a sandbox gamer than a linear, story driven gamer though, so that is probably why it appeals to me so much. But SoD features multiple main characters that you switch between and permadeath that cannot be turned off. It makes the game world feel more akin to an actual zombie apocalypse than any game... ever! But it's not the polished, AAA project that the Last of Us is.

I do have a question for those who have beaten TLOU... and please, no spoilers. How many hours did it take to beat and would you play through it again? That's my only concern... because often times games that are heavily story driven end up killing the replayability for me at least. I don't doubt that it's a masterpiece. And I don't blame developers for making games that are sort of like interactive media more than just a game, in fact it's cool to see that sort of thing, but I would hate, hate, hate if the industry ever went so far in that direction that we didn't really have any real games anymore. By real games I just mean games that focus on gameplay and fun factor and replay value and just stuff you want to play again and again. I mean Smash Brothers Brawl doesn't have a point to it, nor does it need it in the slightest.

I wouldn't compare The Last Of Us to State Of Decay, it's really not the same...

The game took me 12 hours to beat, but I rushed quite a bit and didn't really explore. If you take the time to explore it can take you at least 15-20 hours to beat. The game have plenty of replay value if you want to get all the trophies; you will have to beat the game 3 times and get all the collectibles. The multiplayer is really fun and addictive so plenty of replayability there. There will also be story dlcs that'll be release later. And I don't get people that watch all the cutscenes on YouTube especially for a game like this, completely ruin the experience in my opinion.

I'm not an achievements guy, so I don't care about trophies. Multiplayer sounds interesting though, being a nice departure from typical multiplayer.

Also I think PR only watched the cutscenes on YT because he probably won't be playing it anytime soon. Neither will I, but I'm trying to just wait and not have it spoiled. But I understand his option too, and had thought about doing the same.

Neil Druckmann at Naughty Dog has come out and said that they won't rule out a return for Joel and Ellie if they have a different story to tell. I'm really not happy about this. They told a superb story from start to finish with this game and for me, it ended perfectly.

As far as a sequel is concerned, I'd be ecstatic about it but it'd have to be new characters in a different setting. It would be interesting to see how a different country is dealing with the outbreak. Being slightly biased, I'd love to see the next game based in Britain. Starting off in Glasgow making your way down to London. For what reason, I don't know but I'm sure Naughty Dog would work it out. Journeying through Carlisle, the Lake District and then being sidetracked to Blackpool. That seaside town is rundown even before the infected arrive on the scene. Then down to Manchester, Birmingham, Oxford and finally the capital. Like I said though, anywhere in the world but the U.S. They need to keep it fresh and I believe this is the best way forward if they want to make a sequel.

However, it'd be cool if there was a quick intro with Joel and Ellie out scavenging or something and there luck has finally ran out. Cornered by a group of infected in a room with no ammo. Joel flashes back to Marlene trying to reason with him at the end of the first game. "You can't save her! Even if you get her out of here,then what? How long before she's torn to pieces by a pack of clickers? Look.... You can still do the right thing here. She won't feel anything". Then he comes back to reality holding Ellie trying his best to comfort her with the pack of infected closing in fast. Then a new chapter begins for the series. It'd be good because it'd show no one is safe in this world. You can have that one for free Naughty Dog ;)

Archived