Here Comes The Pain...

TripleC

inb4lock (in my own topic, mind you. :hqhq: )

(My) Bottom-line is, thank you everyone for your information on the game. Who would've known a flame war could be so helpful. :D

Mods can close if desired. Question answered, flame-war erupted, and (still) wrong section. Go ahead.

I wouldn't call it a flame war, more like heated discussion.

True.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(My) Bottom-line is, thank you everyone for your information on the game. Who would've known a flame war could be so helpful. :D

Mods can close if desired. Question answered, flame-war erupted, and (still) wrong section. Go ahead.

Well I'm seeing a lot of name calling going around, so I just went with flame war. :lol:

Flame war for them, Heat discussion for me. I haven't called anyone names...

Well I'm seeing a lot of name calling going around, so I just went with flame war. :lol:

Calling someone sunshine isn't name calling :rock:;)

No, it's more of a nickname I give everyone. Wait for it! Sunshine... :rock:

No, it's more of a nickname I give everyone. Wait for it! Sunshine... :rock:

Didn't notice that :rock:

Name calling? Don Quixote is a fictional character who fought imaginary opponents. He thought he was in situations that weren't true or real. That's why I've nicknamed skyptmisery a Don Quixote. I bet you don't even know why you're so anti-HCTP. You yourself once stated you had no favorite game, and were just pissed off at how HCTP was hyped. Well here's news for you - It might've been overhyped for you, and thus you ended up hating it because it didn't live up to the hype. I didn't have any wwe game hyped even the slightest bit...well maybe wwe 12 because of the brock lesnar trailer... I've simply found them and attained. Thus with 0% hype on each game, I can at least more objectively than you state that HCTP is better than every post 2008 game.

Besides this, you're showing highly irrational, illogical opinions, and avoiding arguments that prove your statements wrong. Additionally you call everyone "sunshine". Are you female? Or just homosexual/bi? (Not trying to flame-bait, just asking :rock:)

I'm a guy and when I say "Overly Hyped" I'm not talking about trailers and what not. I'm speaking of People hyping it up more then it truly deserves, it's got a fan base for no reason. Simple like WWF No Mercy has, that is what I meant about that. Wait for it! Sunshine... :rock:

It wasn't a bad, horrible game. It wasn't "The Best in the world" either, it was a Good decent game for its time, which has passed.

The first SVR was a lot better than HCTP. That doesnt mean HCTP wasnt great for its time. The gameplay was fun, but arcadey, everyone had unique styles, but the game can get quite tedious. I still play it today but cant get past the manager storyline because I get bored. Plus it came out when the other games were terrible and lacked replayability like RAW 2.

I'd be more interested in trading my copy for the first SVR. Its better than 07, 08, and 09 though. And I'm pretty sure the Mr. America on the first page is a CAW.

:rock: Well, since I'm re-playing Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth right now I believe I've figured out why Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain the overly hyped dull game that it is was so loved. Anything could be better then Smackdown! Shut your Mouth, the season mode was boring the "Free Roam" was as pointless as it was in Road to Wrestlemania for Smackdown Vs Raw 2011. The Gameplay was basically taking the Strong Grapple from Smackdown Vs Raw 2011 and putting it for every single move, the submission system is plan luck. You lock in a move, they might tap. They might not tap...

So I'll put it this way, Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain was over hyped as hell. The Reason it was liked is because Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth Sucked horrible and Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain redefined everything.

People like to claim that Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain is Gods gift to WWE Games because of the Free roam feature, but in reality the free roam is unrealistic and boring. The Season Mode itself is literally a load of Storylines that have been done put into one game, the same thing with Smackdown! shut your Mouth. But Unlike Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth, you don't need to keep playing the season mode to unlock everything. Which is another good feature they added because it sucked in Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth.

The Grapple system was completely overhauled in Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain, which wasn't to hard being that Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth's Grapple system sucked. They also gave us the Limb Damage meter and a better submission system.

The roster is top notch, with a load of legends thrown in. Which unlike in WWE 12 nobody complained about for pointless reasons...

In honesty, if you've played Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth. You will love Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain because Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth sucked horrible. As I said the only reason Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain got huge is because Smackdown! shut Your Mouth Sucked horrible.

Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain was a good game compared to Smackdown! Shut Your mouth but it isn't what people overly hyped it to be, it shouldn't be the standard that people try to aim for in a WWE game. The games now have by passed Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain, the only thing that Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain has more of is Moves. Once THQ Stop :censored: around with the moves and Adds more, the games will be better then Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain in that way as well...

Well it isn't just the fans that think HCTP is the benchmark, Marcus thinks it is as well.

The first SVR was a lot better than HCTP. That doesnt mean HCTP wasnt great for its time. The gameplay was fun, but arcadey, everyone had unique styles, but the game can get quite tedious. I still play it today but cant get past the manager storyline because I get bored. Plus it came out when the other games were terrible and lacked replayability like RAW 2.

I'd be more interested in trading my copy for the first SVR. Its better than 07, 08, and 09 though. And I'm pretty sure the Mr. America on the first page is a CAW.

SVR's AI sucked compared to HCTP.

I'm a guy and when I say "Overly Hyped" I'm not talking about trailers and what not. I'm speaking of People hyping it up more then it truly deserves, it's got a fan base for no reason. Simple like WWF No Mercy has, that is what I meant about that. Wait for it! Sunshine... :rock:

It wasn't a bad, horrible game. It wasn't "The Best in the world" either, it was a Good decent game for its time, which has passed.

You know....I'm gonna be honest here...I don't think I like you....your argumentative nature has spread like a cancer throughout this entire forum and it's basically wasting server space. Please stop being a last word freak already.

:fedup: Hey what's wrong with people stating their minds, like I said this isn't an argument or flame war. Nobody is harassing anyone, we are simple having a Heated discussion sunshine.

No I understand that part of it..it's just uhh....well if you didn't notice two of the last pages are nearly all you and this other guy going back and forth...and it just seems kind of pointless. I think you have a misconception of what it is to state your mind...you seem to think it has something to do with stirring the pot to get other people up in arms. Whether that is your intention or not, it seems to happen almost every time. Really, if you think HCTP is overhyped, just leave it at that. The dude just bought the game and burying it into the ground with this 'heated discussion' is slightly rude, even if it is your opinion. I know you'll reply to this, but I'm leaving it at that.

Anyway here's my actual response to the thread: looking at the roster and the way the game is laid out, I'm sure it is a fun game, but you will probably not get the same experience out of it that you would playing a more current game. I don't think it was overhyped for its time, but by today's standards it would fall short in a number of areas.

:rock: Well, since I'm re-playing Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth right now I believe I've figured out why Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain the overly hyped dull game that it is was so loved. Anything could be better then Smackdown! Shut your Mouth, the season mode was boring the "Free Roam" was as pointless as it was in Road to Wrestlemania for Smackdown Vs Raw 2011. The Gameplay was basically taking the Strong Grapple from Smackdown Vs Raw 2011 and putting it for every single move, the submission system is plan luck. You lock in a move, they might tap. They might not tap...

So I'll put it this way, Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain was over hyped as hell. The Reason it was liked is because Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth Sucked horrible and Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain redefined everything.

People like to claim that Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain is Gods gift to WWE Games because of the Free roam feature, but in reality the free roam is unrealistic and boring. The Season Mode itself is literally a load of Storylines that have been done put into one game, the same thing with Smackdown! shut your Mouth. But Unlike Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth, you don't need to keep playing the season mode to unlock everything. Which is another good feature they added because it sucked in Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth.

The Grapple system was completely overhauled in Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain, which wasn't to hard being that Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth's Grapple system sucked. They also gave us the Limb Damage meter and a better submission system.

The roster is top notch, with a load of legends thrown in. Which unlike in WWE 12 nobody complained about for pointless reasons...

In honesty, if you've played Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth. You will love Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain because Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth sucked horrible. As I said the only reason Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain got huge is because Smackdown! shut Your Mouth Sucked horrible.

Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain was a good game compared to Smackdown! Shut Your mouth but it isn't what people overly hyped it to be, it shouldn't be the standard that people try to aim for in a WWE game. The games now have by passed Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain, the only thing that Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain has more of is Moves. Once THQ Stop :censored: around with the moves and Adds more, the games will be better then Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain in that way as well...

Well it isn't just the fans that think HCTP is the benchmark, Marcus thinks it is as well.

In your opinion.

In your opinion.

I wasn't hating on what you said dude, just stating the one thing I felt was wrong with SVR, wasn't saying you are wrong or anything :)

And many others think that. But yes, just opinions :cool:

In your opinion.

not just his. mine too. dont really remember much 'cheap tactics' being used by AI in HCTP

From a guy who's played every Smackdown game there is, this is what I can say this about the games before HCTP.

WWF Smackdown! - Excellent game. It was a step away from the WWF Raw and ECW series with a new grappling mode. No more having to push square three times then triangle to do a suplex.

WWF Smackdown! 2: Know Your Role - Great game to play. Had a lot of action and the create a superstar really was an awesome feature.

WWF Smackdown Just Bring It - Awesome game for those playing the first two, not much was featured for the CAS (or CAWs) but still had a better storyline and a lot to unlock which made it fun to play.

WWF Smackdown Shut Your Mouth (or the rereleased title WWE) - Awesome game. It had a lot of wrestlers, nearly all of the wrestlers had a different attire (which gave the game a lot of stuff to unlock), New World Order really made the whole season mode awesome, create a superstar was again an awesome feature because it had a bunch of parts for it.

The main reason why WWE Smackdown Here Comes the Pain was so hyped is because of all the right reasons. It introduced new matches (Elimination Chamber, Bra & Panties Match), it had a new story, the create a wrestler mode was advanced heavily, blood was involved, the characters to unlock (legends and alt attires), the shopzone made it easier to buy things.

It had the late 2002-2003 year in the game, which in my opinion was a great year for the WWE. Especially since that it was part the beginning of the Smackdown vs. Raw Wars (with Eric Bischoff and Stephanie McMahon always trying to out-do one another).

So to those saying that it was overhyped because Shut Your Mouth sucked, then you've got it all wrong. It was overhyped because it was a great year for the WWE which made HCTP a great game.

I have played all of the SD games, HCTP is and will always be the benchmark of the series, there are so many reasons as to why, the AI, moves/animations, stances, Attires, roster, gameplay, every match felt new and different, hell has anyone seen the AI vs AI matches, in that game they were extremely fun to watch. SYM is a close second. (IMO) If THQ and Yukes can replicate even a small percentage of that game into future iterations then we are in for a treat, seeing as I haven't played 12 yet, I will refrain from saying maybe 13 will achieve that incomparable goal. 12 might live up to the hype we will see. Not long now folks!

Better step in and "Troll" :hqhq: Only kidding, I'm actually going to talk about what made Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain great.

Grapple System: The Perfect Grapple system, much helped with the amount of moves. Easy to do and with the Two button reversal system which was brought into Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain for the first time (No More Square Button to reverse) made the game a lot of fun.

Moves: The amount of Moves was staggering compared to today

Move-set: Each Wrestler/Diva had their own Fight stance, plus they had special move animated for most of the wrestlers. Brock Lesnar's Power Taunt, Stone Colds Flip off taunt, Kurt Angles Moves, Booker T. Did the Hand taunt after his moves, ect.

Free Roam: The Free roam was like Smackdown! Just Bring it, it was realistic and there was a lot to do. But it jumped the shark when it went to Time Square, that should have been left out.

WWE Shop: This was another improvement over having to play years over years in season mode to unlock everything like in Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth.

Two Button Reversal system: This was a brilliant move

Actual Submission system: As we have now with the Breaking point submission much better then the Lock it in does he tap or doesn't he tap like in the past and much better then the "Struggle" Submission

Limb Damage Meter: Let you know when to go for the pin, we have this in the Limb target system.

Standing on Tables: Don't know why they took this out, well they made tables finisher only to make the table matches harder. But we should be able to stand on tables still...since we don't need finishers anymore.

If they could add all this into the game again, it would be great. Though as I said, Realistic Free Roam, NO TIME SQUARE!

While games like Here Comes the Pain and SvR'06 were great for their time, I always felt like their gameplay wasn't as good as the AKI games THQ released for the N64 (World Tour, Revenge, WM 2000, & No Mercy)

If I had any pull in the video game industry, I would try to get someone to update that AKI engine for modern day consoles.

While games like Here Comes the Pain and SvR'06 were great for their time, I always felt like their gameplay wasn't as good as the AKI games THQ released for the N64 (World Tour, Revenge, WM 2000, & No Mercy)

If I had any pull in the video game industry, I would try to get someone to update that AKI engine for modern day consoles.

The gameplay in World tour, Revenge, WM 2000 and No Mercy isn't that grand, even Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain is better then them. Hell even Smackdown Vs Raw 2008 is better then all of them...

The gameplay in World tour, Revenge, WM 2000 and No Mercy isn't that grand, even Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain is better then them. Hell even Smackdown Vs Raw 2008 is better then all of them...

The graphics, game modes, CAW mode, etc isn't better. But between bells, the gameplay is better. Agree to disagree, I guess. But those games were fun even to people who didn't care about wrestling. Only wrestling fans play the current games.

The graphics, game modes, CAW mode, etc isn't better. But between bells, the gameplay is better. Agree to disagree, I guess. But those games were fun even to people who didn't care about wrestling. Only wrestling fans play the current games.

"Only wrestling fans play the current games" That's kinda the point...

oh god -.-

@sktpmistery

Read stevevicious' comment, and read Sun Tzu's "Art of War". Mainly the 2nd chapter.

"When you engage in actual fighting, if victory is long in coming, then men's weapons will grow dull and

their ardor will be damped. If you lay siege to a town, you will exhaust your strength."

"...if the campaign is protracted, the resources of the State will not be equal to the strain."

You can console yourself saying how this is a heated discussion for you but a flamewar for everyone else, but in reality you're trying too hard to win any discussion regarding HCTP, that you've lost sight so much you started avoiding arguments which prove you wrong, and bury every opinion you have on this game.

Archived