Here Comes The Pain...

TripleC

Okay, first. I KNOW this isn't the right section for this. I've been here long enough to understand that. But I also know if I post this in the proper section, it's not gonna get answered, or even seen. So I'm just asking to please not close this, and to help with that cause, I'll add something pertaining to WWE '12, so maybe this topic's lifespan will increase a bit.

So the non WWE '12 related part is, can somebody who is VERY educated on the HCTP game please give me as much info as you can about it? I didn't want to wait until 12 came out to have some wrestling game fun, so I just ordered HCTP online. I did play it back in the day, rented it from a store, but I don't remember much. So if somebody could post the roster, details on the different modes, how extensive the Season mode was and the storylines it included, etc. it'd really help me out. Let me know what I'm getting into. I know "google is your friend", but Google's not really aiding me with this. Just if anyone can list the pro's (cause I do know there's a lot) or maybe link to a site that gives some extensive details about it, I'd be forever grateful.

And the part that's actually related to '12, do you think it's going to top HCTP as the best game in the Smackdown! series? With everything announced, the very much improved gameplay, the features it has that HCTP didn't, etc. Do you honestly believe in a couple years people might be saying "I hope this game's like WWE '12" instead of "like Here Comes The Pain"?

Thanks. :D

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roster:

Males

A-Train

Big Show

Chris Jericho

Christian

Chavo Guerrero

Chris Benoit

Charlie Haas

Booker T

Batista

Bubba Ray Dudley

Brock Lesnar

D-Von Dudley

Eddie Guerrero

Edge

Eric Bischoff

Goldberg

Goldust

The Hurricane

John Cena

Kane

Kevin Nash

Kurt Angle

Lance Storm

Matt Hardy

Randy Orton

Rey Mysterio

Rhyno

Ric Flair

Rico

Rikishi

Rob Van Dam

The Rock

Rodney Mack

Scott Steiner

Sean O'Haire

Shawn Michaels

Shelton Benjamin

Steve Austin

Tajiri

Steven Richards

Test

Triple H

Ultimo Dragon

The Undertaker

Val Venis

Vince McMahon

Females

Jazz

Lita

Sable

Stacy Keibler

Stephanie McMahon

Torrie Wilson

Trish Stratus

Victoria

Legends

Animal

George Steele

Hawk

Hillbilly Jim

The Iron Sheik

Jimmy Snuka

Nicholai Volkoff

Roddy Piper

Sgt. Slaughter

Ted DiBiase

Old School Undertaker

Graphics:

o855vq.jpg

Random Roster Fact:

Jeff Hardy, Hulk Hogan, and The Ultimate Warrior were all originally on the roster.

Hulk Hogan and his Alternate Attire Mr. America were removed when Hogan left the company.

Jeff Hardy was seen in the earliest shots of the game but he as well was removed like Hogan.

The Ultimate Warrior refused for his likeness to be in the game somewhere down the road and threatened to sue. Because of the threat he was removed.

Clips With Hardy In-Game:

Trailer (feat. Jeff):

Screenshots of Removed Wrestlers:

se8twy.jpg

jeffhardyhctpbeta2.png

213hah.jpg

Season:

Season mode, for me, was the best part of the game. I believe it was endless, although some stories repeated. What I, and many others loved about season mode, was that you could lose a match, and the story would continue. I remember, playing as Brock, I lost the WWE Title to Rico because I kept trying to F-5 him of the building and then SSP him! Some people say it wasn't fun because most of the storylines were just re-hashes of real life stories. I think this was actually a plus, because it gave you so much variety. Sure, every now and then you have an amazing and fun story in RtWM (Jericho in 09, Christian in 11 etc), but with the real life storylines, you knew they were gonna be fun, and most likely make sense. Who doesn't want to make a stable and be able to call it D-X, NWO, The Corporation etc etc.

TL;DR. Basically, season mode was fun because there was so much variety of amazing stories, and it didn't matter if you lost, it just went on anyway!

Thanks man, I appreciate it. How was Season mode? That's the big thing I'm looking for. Lots of storyline arcs, or what? And how long did it last (both in game years, and play-through time hourly-wise).

It was great! I'll update my other post in a sec with more in sight.

I always thought HCTP was over rated. Ofcourse, it was a good game, but not as Godly as people make it out to be. But judge for yourself, but I'm pretty sure that if you go back and play it today it won't seem like much. And once WWE 12 comes out, I'm.sure if you compare it to HCTP it'll be far superior in nearly every way.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. How was Season mode? That's the big thing I'm looking for. Lots of storyline arcs, or what? And how long did it last (both in game years, and play-through time hourly-wise).

Thank you man. I definitely appreciate it!

I always thought HCTP was over rated. Ofcourse, it was a good game, but not as Godly as people make it out to be. But judge for yourself, but I'm pretty sure that if you go back and play it today it won't seem like much. And once WWE 12 comes out, I'm.sure if you compare it to HCTP it'll be far superior in nearly every way.

So you don't think it was a smart purchase? I mean, I already pre-ordered '12, and just got the idea to get HCTP, since I have a PS2 laying around. But idk, I'm starting to debate whether or not it was smart (still have a few hours to cancel the order).

So you don't think it was a smart purchase? I mean, I already pre-ordered '12, and just got the idea to get HCTP, since I have a PS2 laying around. But idk, I'm starting to debate whether or not it was smart (still have a few hours to cancel the order).

How much did you buy it for?

$14 (9 something for game, 4 something for shipping.

I still play Here Comes The Pain to this day. Its not overrated at all.

I'm excited for WWE 12, but I highly doubt its going to top HCTP when it comes to replay value. I remember a bunch of people last year saying that SVR 2011 looked like a newer, better version of HCTP. It was just more of the same though. Every year its exactly the same with some new, shiny gimmicks thrown in (CAA, CAF, Brock Lesnar, ect.), and for as many good things as they add, they'll take some things out again. They hyped up the gameplay as being much better and completely revamped, but it looks more or less the same to me. The only improvement I see is that wrestlers get up faster. I'm disappointed to see that the AI appears to be as shitty as ever, and nothing else has changed.

Its not the backstage arenas, the match types, or the storymode that causes me to keep playing HCTP. Don't get me wrong, all of that stuff is awesome! But what keeps me coming back is the gameplay. The newer games just can't compare. The gameplay hasn't changed too much since then, but matches were just so much more exciting in HCTP. Matches in the more recent games are slower paced, and way too simple. Its just a race to see who can get their finisher first, and I always win, no matter who I'm up against. "Legend" difficulty in SVR 2011 is like "normal" difficulty in HCTP. While HCTP was fairly easy for a veteran of wrestling games like myself, its still infinitely more challenging than the new games. On top of that, there is a good roster with much more variety in the move sets, which makes for some fantastic matches.

:rock: Well, since I'm re-playing Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth right now I believe I've figured out why Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain the overly hyped dull game that it is was so loved. Anything could be better then Smackdown! Shut your Mouth, the season mode was boring the "Free Roam" was as pointless as it was in Road to Wrestlemania for Smackdown Vs Raw 2011. The Gameplay was basically taking the Strong Grapple from Smackdown Vs Raw 2011 and putting it for every single move, the submission system is plan luck. You lock in a move, they might tap. They might not tap...

So I'll put it this way, Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain was over hyped as hell. The Reason it was liked is because Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth Sucked horrible and Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain redefined everything.

People like to claim that Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain is Gods gift to WWE Games because of the Free roam feature, but in reality the free roam is unrealistic and boring. The Season Mode itself is literally a load of Storylines that have been done put into one game, the same thing with Smackdown! shut your Mouth. But Unlike Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth, you don't need to keep playing the season mode to unlock everything. Which is another good feature they added because it sucked in Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth.

The Grapple system was completely overhauled in Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain, which wasn't to hard being that Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth's Grapple system sucked. They also gave us the Limb Damage meter and a better submission system.

The roster is top notch, with a load of legends thrown in. Which unlike in WWE 12 nobody complained about for pointless reasons...

In honesty, if you've played Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth. You will love Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain because Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth sucked horrible. As I said the only reason Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain got huge is because Smackdown! shut Your Mouth Sucked horrible.

Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain was a good game compared to Smackdown! Shut Your mouth but it isn't what people overly hyped it to be, it shouldn't be the standard that people try to aim for in a WWE game. The games now have by passed Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain, the only thing that Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain has more of is Moves. Once THQ Stop :censored: around with the moves and Adds more, the games will be better then Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain in that way as well...

$14 (9 something for game, 4 something for shipping.

Extremely overratted yes. I played it about 6 months ago and hated it. Bloody clipped entrances! Alough they had a decent amount of entrances none were official themes. But as to Hogan in the game ive never seen any codes to put him in so maybe he wasent locked in game.

It was ok at the time but over the years its been really bad when compared to other smackdown games.

If google is not your friend, then gamingring is. :)

For me, HCTP is a good game, and yes, a little overrated especially now that we have more realistic games in svr 2011 and the upcoming WWE 12. Here Comes the Pain was a good game years ago, and hell, I still play it. If you want a more arcade type of game play, stick with HCTP, it's fast paced, and lets you wreck havoc and make crazy bumps.

Time passes by, now we have svr 2010, which is a breakout year from 2009, the improved SVR 2011, and the big improvement that is upcoming WWE 12. People tend to say that HCTP is the best game around beside No Mercy, maybe due to the following reasons (feel free to kill me):

•  
  • Nostalgia
  • A good roster with everyone's faves.
  • likely the last game that features steiner, lesnar, goldberg,nash in one game.
  • bumps
  • can be gamesharked for insane bumps
  • free roaming, long story mode.

I personally like HCTP, it's in my top five. The story mode is long, which is a good point. You can challenge some guys in the back, and ask the gm for a certain title shot. There are choices on what to do after you beat him. Free roaming is good, but I'm not a fan of backstage brawls.

It gives you that replay value, but HCTP doesn't have the freedom we have with this current series.

HCTP is legendary, but THQ are doing a great job on WWE 12,and the last two games of the series. We have a good set of roster, and legends in the game. We now have the abilities to re color their attires, to download content, make paint tools, to make 4 attires, to create a finisher, highlight reels, advanced entrances, titantrons, create an arena, a fun road to Wrestle Mania, a rejuvenated season plus gm mode in the form of Universe, and many more.

When you look back at it, there's so many things to miss about HCTP, but there's also a lot of things and I mean a lot that current games have. It's a great improvement actually, we have games today that is worth the price. Some jerks only like to brag about their fave games, like "HCTP is this great..", "no Mercy is this great..", "DOR is great.." their all great games, it's a generation thing, and I'm part of that generation too. So no big deal.

HCTP is highly recommended, worth the bucks, and will give you orgasms with the Bra and Panty match.

:rock: Well, since I'm re-playing Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth right now I believe I've figured out why Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain the overly hyped dull game that it is was so loved. Anything could be better then Smackdown! Shut your Mouth, the season mode was boring the "Free Roam" was as pointless as it was in Road to Wrestlemania for Smackdown Vs Raw 2011. The Gameplay was basically taking the Strong Grapple from Smackdown Vs Raw 2011 and putting it for every single move, the submission system is plan luck. You lock in a move, they might tap. They might not tap...

So I'll put it this way, Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain was over hyped as hell. The Reason it was liked is because Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth Sucked horrible and Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain redefined everything.

People like to claim that Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain is Gods gift to WWE Games because of the Free roam feature, but in reality the free roam is unrealistic and boring. The Season Mode itself is literally a load of Storylines that have been done put into one game, the same thing with Smackdown! shut your Mouth. But Unlike Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth, you don't need to keep playing the season mode to unlock everything. Which is another good feature they added because it sucked in Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth.

The Grapple system was completely overhauled in Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain, which wasn't to hard being that Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth's Grapple system sucked. They also gave us the Limb Damage meter and a better submission system.

The roster is top notch, with a load of legends thrown in. Which unlike in WWE 12 nobody complained about for pointless reasons...

In honesty, if you've played Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth. You will love Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain because Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth sucked horrible. As I said the only reason Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain got huge is because Smackdown! shut Your Mouth Sucked horrible.

Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain was a good game compared to Smackdown! Shut Your mouth but it isn't what people overly hyped it to be, it shouldn't be the standard that people try to aim for in a WWE game. The games now have by passed Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain, the only thing that Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain has more of is Moves. Once THQ Stop :censored: around with the moves and Adds more, the games will be better then Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain in that way as well...

I played HCtP before I played SYM; so there goes your entire argument...

And, as I said in another thread, it's people like you, who begged for realism rather then fun, that have made the current series have ridiculous limitations.

And, as I said in another thread, it's people like you, who begged for realism rather then fun, that have made the current series have ridiculous limitations.

"Ridiculous limitations" :hqhq: Seriously what "Ridiculous limitations" are you talking about? Come on sunshine speak your mind...

"Ridiculous limitations" :hqhq: Seriously what "Ridiculous limitations" are you talking about? Come on sunshine speak your mind...

One, what the :censored: is up with your obsession with the word 'sunshine'? Seriously? Were you a Sunshine Girl as a kid or something? Same goes for the emoticon: :rock:

Two, I didn't mean ridiculous, I meant ridiculous amounts. Examples? Not being able to climb the announce table, not being able to climb on the barricade, not being able to go down on the stage area, not having any OTP arenas etc etc.

To the OP. I got mine for 5 bucks at EB Games, lol. Also, updated my post with Season mode :cool:

Two, I didn't mean ridiculous, I meant ridiculous amounts. Examples? Not being able to climb the announce table, not being able to climb on the barricade, not being able to go down on the stage area, not having any OTP arenas etc etc.

To the OP. I got mine for 5 bucks at EB Games, lol. Also, updated my post with Season mode :cool:

Are you serious, "Seriously Bro!". Those are caused by me saying I want realistic free roam, :hqhq: those are the same as the Invisible wall around the ring and the top of hell in the cell. Those have nothing to do with me... You've got to be kidding me, yes those are issues that need to be fixed. Did you read my entire post or skim it?

Are you serious, "Seriously Bro!". Those are caused by me saying I want realistic free roam, :hqhq: those are the same as the Invisible wall around the ring and the top of hell in the cell. Those have nothing to do with me... You've got to be kidding me, yes those are issues that need to be fixed. Did you read my entire post or skim it?

Guessing you skimmed through my post. I sa

Guessing you skimmed through my post. I said it's people like you (eg. Thats so unrealistic!!!!!11! Video games should be completely realistic!!!1!) not just you and your free roam argument.

You said, "Not being able to climb the announce table, not being able to climb on the barricade, not being able to go down on the stage area" that's all caused by the Invisible wall. That isn't a restriction that is simple something THQ has yet to get rid of...

Excuse my ignorance by what does OTP mean?

You said, "Not being able to climb the announce table, not being able to climb on the barricade, not being able to go down on the stage area" that's all caused by the Invisible wall. That isn't a restriction that is simple something THQ has yet to get rid of...

Meant OTT which means Over the top. Also, invisible walls are restrictions, caused by people wanting realism (eg. The way the wrestlers fall of the cage/stage is so unrealistic!). Therefore, they're scared of putting in animations that might not look perfect (eg. The hundred of moves removed, climbing the announce table etc)

Meant OTT which means Over the top. Also, invisible walls are restrictions, caused by people wanting realism (eg. The way the wrestlers fall of the cage/stage is so unrealistic!). Therefore, they're scared of putting in animations that might not look perfect (eg. The hundred of moves removed, climbing the announce table etc)

:lol: Once again, your not getting me. I'm thankful over the top matches are out, the Free Roam in Smackdown! Here Comes the pain was boring, dull and unrealistic. That was the only "Over The top" that was removed thankfully, as for the wall it isn't a restriction the Wall around the hell in the cell was so people don't cheaply knock people off not because of the animation, you forget they fixed the animation...

The Moves weren't removed because they looked unrealistic, we don't know why they where removed. Mostly because of Bull :poo: .

Climbing on the announcer table is basically a glitch they haven't done away with, same with the wall around the ring.

Evidently you don't understand the topic of realistic...

It's a good game, the classics just don't die for me. I'll choose better content over graphics any day. I did the same thing and bought it used from a store a lil while back and it was worth the couple bucks for it. I also just ordered RAW 2 recently which I recall was a good game as well.

Can't believe I'm actually going to help Splasher out, due to our...feud, last month.

But that statement itself proves SKPTymMisery's opinion on the game can easily be crossed off the list.

Like Splasher, I've played HCTP before even knowing a SYM existed. One thing I'd like to add is I've played the SVR series before playing HCTP. I've attained HCTP back in 2009 before buying the SVR 2009 for my ps3. The first SVR game I've played is SVR 2008 which is pretty much the same thing like every game to come out afterwards, with a variety of additions.

This actually not only proves misery's post wrong, but pastes it on the negative side of the axis. What this means is, if you're used to limitations and sloppy, slow gameplay SVR2008+ has to offer, you'll have so much fun with HCTP that you wont ever think of playing any of those games ever again.

@ post #20

you've skimmed trough his reply yet again, sunshine. :rock:

@OP

Get it, you wont regret it. At a price of 14$ it's a great deal imo. I'd pay for this game 60$, like it was new.

-Almost a perfect roster

-no limitations (can do basically whatever you want in the ring and well outside, since you've got a huge free roam stage)

-every wrestler has their unique set of moves (ex: unique ddt's, unique suplexes)

-storymode is long, and fun

-nice unlock system

-easy to pick up and play

-cool music, also music playing while you wrestle, it adds up to excitement.

-great match types

:lol: Once again, your not getting me. I'm thankful over the top matches are out, the Free Roam in Smackdown! Here Comes the pain was boring, dull and unrealistic. That was the only "Over The top" that was removed thankfully, as for the wall it isn't a restriction the Wall around the hell in the cell was so people don't cheaply knock people off not because of the animation, you forget they fixed the animation...

The Moves weren't removed because they looked unrealistic, we don't know why they where removed. Mostly because of Bull :poo: .

Climbing on the announcer table is basically a glitch they haven't done away with, same with the wall around the ring.

Evidently you don't understand the topic of realistic...

You're basically giving different reasons to why HCTP has certain awesome things and SVR doesn't and then out of the blue calling HCTP dull. Touche sunshine, touche.

^You're mindset is so self centered. You're glad it's gone even though you know pretty much everyone except you enjoyed it. You weren't forced to play that mode, were you? Even If so, you didn't have to go backstage, so why bother about something that everyone else love and you didn't have to play?

Also, THQ said most the moves they removed were due to them being poorly animated/unrealstic. So yeah, we can still blame that on the people who hate anything fun that is too OTT for their feeble minds to comprehend.

Archived