Tipping

BlackToxic

@Mr.Moyd

It's their job. I'm not gonna give them extra money. That extra money in my wallet is money that I worked hard for (just like the person serving me) but guess what, it wasn't a tip that I got. I got that money working my ass off not expecting anything extra, just to earn my weekly wage and I'm happy to work hard for the money I get. If you're not happy with my opinions then you can raise the tips you give to cover my tight ass.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see the logic in it being almost compulsory to tip your waiter to get more than "Food, drink tip". That seems lazy and unproffesional to me.. You don't see people in non-tip jobs do the bare minimum, no matter how shit their pay is. And you don't tip the police officer who gives you a speeding-ticket cause he's doing an excellent job of it, either... And again, you can't really use the thing about them getting paid less as a proper reason, because that's no fault of the customer. By that logic I could work for free as a waiter, and demand twice the tips cause I get paid nothing at all.. You'd think me an idiot if I did that.

It's "you do a good job to EARN your tip", not "you give a good tip to EARN your service", in my book.

The quality of the service is on the part of the waiter, work for your cash, don't expect people to toss money at you just cause you get paid jack. Work for the tip and odds are, people will tip.. If the waiter is accustomed to tips from everyone, no matter the quality of the service, then why bother with keeping up the quality of the service?

You should earn a tip, not expect it.

Damn right... Mustacio. Most servers/bartenders do "work for their cash". But there are some customers that just don't tip no matter what because of whatever reason. So are you saying that servers and bartenders should give these people the same amount of kick-ass service they would a regular who does tip?

The whole "crappy pay isn't an excuse for me to tip" reasoning is fine... but the "everyone should bust their ass becuase its their job" is idealistic and more than a little self-serving. You want the same service as a good tipper, but don't want to tip? GTFO Pride in your job doesn't pay the bills, the amount of scratch you have in your pocket at the end of the day is what really matters...

First paragraph:

Yes servers and bartenders should give everyone the same kick-ass serving from the get go, the tip comes at the end of service, not before. If they want a great tip, they should provide great service.. If they're happy with an average tip, provide average service. They have no way of knowing if they'll get a great tip unless they provide service worthy of said tip. The quality of the tip is equal to the quality of service, the quality of service can't be equal to the quality of the tip, as one comes before the other.

Otherwise open the serving with "20 dollar tip, I will be awesome. 10 dollars normal. Nothing.. I shit on your waffles".

Second paragraph:

I never said I wanted the same service, although I belive that it's on the waiter's "To do list" to always want to be a great waiter, good tipper or not (again, you don't know who's a good tipper and who isn't, cause the tip comes at the end of a meal), so you basically have to put your best foot forward. Also, tipping isn't a rule. Pride in your job doesn't pay the bills, I agree. However; doing a good *censored*ing job pays the bills. At the end of the day, it's the customers cash, and the customer decides how much and how often they will tip. I really do not see at all why I should tip a waiter for doing his job. He's a waiter, a waiter's job is to bring me food and drink, the ONLY reason I need to pay him is because he gets SHIT all.. And that is not my fault. The only reason he's dependent on my tip in the first place is the shit pay, and the shit pay is no fault of mine. I will tip for good service, I totally will. But I won't tip "just because".

I'm not against tipping for great service, I'm against the totally bananas reasoning behind the whole tipping malarkey.

But, my friend, sometimes you DO know who will tip and who won't. There are certain customers that never tip...

I always put my best foot forward and noted who tipped and who didn't. Its where having a good memory helps. I'd say most of the servers/bartenders I worked with did put their best foot forward for the same reason you stated. You work for the tip...

The disconnect happens when you put that work in and ... nothing. At that point, that effort would have been better spent on a table that did so you could INCREASE your tip. You said you tip for GREAT service. Often times, that comes at the expense of other tables.

I've stated this before, you have a finite amount of time with a certain number of tables... The amount of time you spend at each one can determine what sort of tip you get. Say Toxic has stiffed me in the past and I'd given him great service and you'd tipped great in the past for the same said service... Now, both of you are at the bar. Whose drink order do you think I'm more inclined to take first? Say you order something from the kitchen and I know its about ready. At the same time, I notice Toxic's drink is getting low. Do you think I'll go to the kitchen to check on your food or take care of Toxic. Say you and Toxic need something at the same time, who do you think I take care of first every time. Say the bar gets busy, I'm more inclined to check on you every other drink order to make sure you are ok. Do you think I'd do the same for Toxic or do you think I'd get to him whenever I got to him? Say you have a lady friend come in and start drinking with you... do you think I'm more worried about Toxic or filling her drink. Toxic, at this point, is an afterthought. I'll get his drinks, but my other customers wants come first because they "tip for outstanding service." Toxic doesn't tip. He'll give me the same amount whether I bust my ass for him or not.

But, my friend, sometimes you DO know who will tip and who won't. There are certain customers that never tip...

Yep.

When I worked at the pizza place, everyone knew the houses that never tipped. Those homes...well...let's just say their service started to match their tips. They got below the bare minimum of customer service, in hopes that they'd just stop ordering altogether.

Sure, there's incentive to provide better service to the people you know are regular big tippers, but your argument also only holds water in "Every guy in here has been here before"-land. You cannot do any different than try and do your best for every customer unless you know them beforehand, if you want a great tip. Your tip should always be dependant on your service, not the other way around.

Also, you're sorta putting forth the idea that waiters are magical beings that do no wrong, and should always be treated with parades and handfuls of cash. I believe the only time a tip should ever come into consideration is for above average service, average and below isn't gonna get anything off me. I really do not think I am a dick about it, having that attitude. A tip is something extra, not something mandatory.. Again, them getting totally shit pay is irrelevant. Treating customers worse because they don't tip seems like diva-behaviour to me. Deliberately lowering your standard of service because a customer doesn't abide an unwritten rule only backed by the fact that you get shit pay.. now THAT'S dick behaviour to me. Don't ever *censored*ing lower you standards, how the hell is that gonna get you more tips? <_>

Yeah, I always tip well. Too well, honestly. If I'm friends with a bartender, or a server, I'll tip them even more...but I always tip well regardless. Usually if I have a $10 or $15 bar tab, I'll match it with an equal tip. If my tab is $20, 30, etc. then I will still do $10 or $15. Either way, it's either a 100% tip or a %50 tip. :lol:

Toxic,

The disconnect seems to be in what you and I consider "the job" to be.

A server, 9 times out of 10, can't decide whether to not wait on a table or not. They get sat in their section or they come into the bar. They HAVE to be served.

I always tried to go above and beyond when I was behind the bar or waiting tables. THAT was my standard. THAT is what I (and most decent servers/tenders in the F&B industry) consider "doing their job". However, it really isn't. You can fufill your job requirements by taking the order, turning it in to the kitchen/filling it at the bar, taking it out when its ready/dropping off the drink, and dropping the bill. That requires little or no effort and seems to be what you are describing.

There is a big difference in that and establishing a rapport with your customer, making them feel welcome, getting their order to them quickly, making sure they have no special requests (like a lime in their beer or no mayo on their burger), checking on them to make sure they have what they want while they wait on their order or seeing if they need another drink before the other one is finished.... There is lot more to serving than just dropping off the product. The whole point of good service is to create an atmosphere that the customer enjoys and wants to come back and spend their money again.

That being said, Why do servers work that hard to create that? Do you think its some bar owner or corperate resteraunt chain can make more profits so your below the minimum wage paycheck can stay the same? NO! You do it so YOU can make money.

Identifying who takes care of you and taking care of them is how you make money. Identifying the people who just want something to eat and don't believe in tipping is just as important to a good server. Some people do, in fact, "tip for great service". Some won't tip regardless... If you think servers can't pick up on that and use it to make the most of amount of money they can, you are kidding yourself. If you think they SHOULDN'T be doing that, you are entitled to your opinion. I just respectfully disagree and think fast food establishments and take out are more your cup of tea.

When I went to a restaurant a couple of months ago the guy added stuff which we didn't order on the bill and he expected us to give him more tip, they clearly tried to rob us.

Had that happen once, told the waitress to get her boss out to the table and explained the situation, then calmly asked him to rollback his cctv cameras and see if any of those items were brought to my table the whole time we were there and he came back saw we were in the right and said our bill will be on him and fired the waitress on the spot.

Sure, there's incentive to provide better service to the people you know are regular big tippers, but your argument also only holds water in "Every guy in here has been here before"-land. You cannot do any different than try and do your best for every customer unless you know them beforehand, if you want a great tip. Your tip should always be dependant on your service, not the other way around.

Also, you're sorta putting forth the idea that waiters are magical beings that do no wrong, and should always be treated with parades and handfuls of cash. I believe the only time a tip should ever come into consideration is for above average service, average and below isn't gonna get anything off me. I really do not think I am a dick about it, having that attitude. A tip is something extra, not something mandatory.. Again, them getting totally shit pay is irrelevant. Treating customers worse because they don't tip seems like diva-behaviour to me. Deliberately lowering your standard of service because a customer doesn't abide an unwritten rule only backed by the fact that you get shit pay.. now THAT'S dick behaviour to me. Don't ever *censored*ing lower you standards, how the hell is that gonna get you more tips? <_>

No, I'm saying most folks in the service industry bust their ass and work for their tips. (at least the ones I worked with.) I didn't treat maltreat customers who didn't tip... I just didn't go out of my way to make their dining experience special. (Not to say there weren't ways to get customers that tried to be abusive or dicks.)

Yeah, I always tip well. Too well, honestly. If I'm friends with a bartender, or a server, I'll tip them even more...but I always tip well regardless. Usually if I have a $10 or $15 bar tab, I'll match it with an equal tip. If my tab is $20, 30, etc. then I will still do $10 or $15. Either way, it's either a 100% tip or a %50 tip. :lol:

I wouldn't mind being a bar tender if I get people who are tipping like you xD

whiteryno this must mean a lot to you xD, its like you have more than half of the replies or a 3 page topic.

Please consider, I was in the service industry for a good part of my life. I made a damn fine living doing it and it got me through college. I started off as bar-back and made it to bar manager. I started off as a waiter and made it to corperate restraunt manager... This isn't some half ass waiter that is bitter. I knew what I was doing and kept my customers coming back. There are plenty of shitty F&B folks and I hope I haven't portrayed all of them as angles, but a majority bust their ass.

As I've said, how you treat people resonates. People remenber the good you do; but they REALLY remember the bad.

I wouldn't mind being a bar tender if I get people who are tipping like you xD

whiteryno this must mean a lot to you xD, its like you have more than half of the replies or a 3 page topic.

I'm killing time between class and lab...lol

I spent a lot of time doing it and reading some things that disturb me a little.

Like I said in my first post, we don't tip over here. I think it's because minimum wage for all jobs is $13.50. However, I hope to go to New York someone in the next year or 2. So I'd like to know: How much am I to tip if I were to go to a restaurant?

Probably 18%, but it'll be already added to you bill. You can choose whether or not to tip more though.

By the way, just pointing out that if a place adds a tip to your bill without your permission, you can go get it removed at the bar if you don't want to give it to them (for whatever reason, because they haven't deserved it or you find their auto-tip crap cheeky or you are just generally tight) and they have to remove it.

I've never done that but i've never had tips added on to my bill anyway, i do know people who have asked for the tip to be removed though.

Archived