Tipping

BlackToxic

I always tip waiters,delivery men,my tattoo artist. Even though these people are getting paid by their company you giving them a tip is a way to say. I know you're getting paid but i want you to just keep this money for yourself because i understand the importance of your service.

The only time I've ever not tipped was when a waitress was a complete *censored* to me and my friends. We all went to dinner(this was long ago) and we were all semi young and she apparently assume we were going to stiff her even though we all had jobs. She hadnt even taken our order for food and she walked up to us and said. "You know we dont make that much money waiting tables, so you need to tip". It was so rude and out of left field the taste in all of our mouths about her were so sour we couldn't justify tipping her with that *censored*yness.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

F*#k all of them. They get paid to do their job. Give people money for doing what they're paid to do?

Ahhhhhh, my only hope is that you break down in the middle of the night and your server gets the same oppurtunity I did...

To the people who said that it's not fair if people don't tip because waiters don't get enough pay, why is that our fault or our problem? You chose the job, not us. Your Goverment set those rules, not us. It's tipping that allowed your boss/goverment to set your wage lower than minimum rate to begin with (which isn't the case in Britain by the way, waiters get minimum wage anyway or are supposed to), maybe if we all stopped tipping then you'd get minimum too. There are plenty of jobs out there like Sales jobs where they also depend heavily on people buying a product from them or they barely get any pay, should we start buying their crap just so they can make ends meet too? I Will never tip a waiter, not even if he has brought me my food fast (which i personally don't like anyway because it's a sign that it's just been pre-made and heated up in the microwave) and my drinks fast all night, he's doing his job and if he doesn't like it then either change jobs or complain to the boss, it's your boss who is being cheap, not the customer.

See i think that is the worst part of it, waiters expect tips and not just expecting a tip but expecting to be tipped well by each table just because they brought a few drinks and some food. What is so hard about the job? i can think of TONS of minimum wage jobs who surely work a hell of a lot harder and don't get tips or a bonus, yes in America they are making more than a waiter (if the waiter wasn't getting tips) but again that is the fault of the waiter's gov/boss who screwed them. I've never seen a waiter and thought "Damn she works hard" anyway, i'm usually waiting on the waiter, waiting for her to stop talking to the bar man and come take my order already.

Did you ever think that was because she knew you didn't tip and didn't want to waste her time?

Don't tip, man. Just don't expect service worth a damn and try not to visit the same establishment twice. If you continually stiff wait staff in the same establishment, you'll probably eating a hell of a lot more than what you paid for.

The wait staff is obligated to take your order and bring your food out to you. The speed in which they do so, the amount of refills you get and any other considerations are sort of up to you.

Who would you wait on better, the guy you know that doesn't tip or the guy that COULD potentially tip you? If you think *censored*ing with the people that prepare your food is a smart idea, go ahead.

i do not tip since there being paid to do a job anyway.

But they're not being paid that much to begin with, so to not leave a tip makes you seem like quite the ass.

there paid minimum wage to provide a service i'd sooner put whatever "tip" there supposed to have in a charity or donation box .

fraid that isn't true.

Damn, what happened to etiquette? I've never worked in a service field, however I have several friends who have. If my service is at least adequate, I'll give anywhere from a 10%-20% tip. I'll even leave a tip if the waiter/waitress/bartender is an ass, though it won't be much.

You ,my friend, are a gentleman.

Say what you will but it doesn't change anything. When I go to a restraunt I pay for the food I'm eating and not the service. The employee in the back washing dishes doesn't recieve tips so why should people waiting on you? If you like to give people money for a job they're already getting paid for, well good for you.

F*#k all of them. They get paid to do their job. Give people money for doing what they're paid to do?

Ahhhhhh, my only hope is that you break down in the middle of the night and your server gets the same oppurtunity I did...

To the people who said that it's not fair if people don't tip because waiters don't get enough pay, why is that our fault or our problem? You chose the job, not us. Your Goverment set those rules, not us. It's tipping that allowed your boss/goverment to set your wage lower than minimum rate to begin with (which isn't the case in Britain by the way, waiters get minimum wage anyway or are supposed to), maybe if we all stopped tipping then you'd get minimum too. There are plenty of jobs out there like Sales jobs where they also depend heavily on people buying a product from them or they barely get any pay, should we start buying their crap just so they can make ends meet too? I Will never tip a waiter, not even if he has brought me my food fast (which i personally don't like anyway because it's a sign that it's just been pre-made and heated up in the microwave) and my drinks fast all night, he's doing his job and if he doesn't like it then either change jobs or complain to the boss, it's your boss who is being cheap, not the customer.

See i think that is the worst part of it, waiters expect tips and not just expecting a tip but expecting to be tipped well by each table just because they brought a few drinks and some food. What is so hard about the job? i can think of TONS of minimum wage jobs who surely work a hell of a lot harder and don't get tips or a bonus, yes in America they are making more than a waiter (if the waiter wasn't getting tips) but again that is the fault of the waiter's gov/boss who screwed them. I've never seen a waiter and thought "Damn she works hard" anyway, i'm usually waiting on the waiter, waiting for her to stop talking to the bar man and come take my order already.

Did you ever think that was because she knew you didn't tip and didn't want to waste her time?

Don't tip, man. Just don't expect service worth a damn and try not to visit the same establishment twice. If you continually stiff wait staff in the same establishment, you'll probably eating a hell of a lot more than what you paid for.

The wait staff is obligated to take your order and bring your food out to you. The speed in which they do so, the amount of refills you get and any other considerations are sort of up to you.

Who would you wait on better, the guy you know that doesn't tip or the guy that COULD potentially tip you? If you think *censored*ing with the people that prepare your food is a smart idea, go ahead.

i do not tip since there being paid to do a job anyway.

But they're not being paid that much to begin with, so to not leave a tip makes you seem like quite the ass.

there paid minimum wage to provide a service i'd sooner put whatever "tip" there supposed to have in a charity or donation box .

fraid that isn't true.

Damn, what happened to etiquette? I've never worked in a service field, however I have several friends who have. If my service is at least adequate, I'll give anywhere from a 10%-20% tip. I'll even leave a tip if the waiter/waitress/bartender is an ass, though it won't be much.

You ,my friend, are a gentleman.

Say what you will but it doesn't change anything. When I go to a restraunt I pay for the food I'm eating and not the service. The employee in the back washing dishes doesn't recieve tips so why should people waiting on you? If you like to give people money for a job they're already getting paid for, well good for you.

Then if you don't want any service, why not take the food to go?

If you don't want any service, don't worry... I you had stiffed me, you wouldn't have gotten any the next time you sat at my bar or in my section.

The employee in the back washing dishes doesn't recieve tips so why should people waiting on you?

Actually, they do. The servers are expected to "tip out" the employees in the back at the end of their shifts.

Well thats a good thing to do but it doesn't change the fact that they still get payed for the job. If somebody can give me a legitimate reason to tip and not 'its the right thing to do', then I'll say fair enough you're right.

I think people should tip, but to expect a tip is wrong. If a tip was compulsory, it would be included in the bill, but otherwise, it's up to the customer whether they tip or not, at the end of the day.

And whoever said that people who don't tip deserve to expect poor service; that's just laughable. The service given should not depend on tips, it should consistently be performed at a high level. You should be ashamed if you purposely let your performance drop because one customer may tip low or not tip at all, because they've paid for their meal and good service should come with it. In my job, I have to treat each customer in accordance with company-employee guidelines no matter where they rank in my opinion. Acting like an ass would lack professionalism, and that story about the chefs looking out for the waiters is a prime example of being unprofessional. Fair enough, you may be a little disgruntled because you didn't get a tip, which is also wrong in my eyes. But you shouldn't expect to receive tips, just like non-tippers shouldn't expect to be treated any less than someone who tips twenty percent of their bill.

I think people should tip, but to expect a tip is wrong. If a tip was compulsory, it would be included in the bill, but otherwise, it's up to the customer whether they tip or not, at the end of the day.

And whoever said that people who don't tip deserve to expect poor service; that's just laughable. The service given should not depend on tips, it should consistently be performed at a high level. You should be ashamed if you purposely let your performance drop because one customer may tip low or not tip at all, because they've paid for their meal and good service should come with it. In my job, I have to treat each customer in accordance with company-employee guidelines no matter where they rank in my opinion. Acting like an ass would lack professionalism, and that story about the chefs looking out for the waiters is a prime example of being unprofessional. Fair enough, you may be a little disgruntled because you didn't get a tip, which is also wrong in my eyes. But you shouldn't expect to receive tips, just like non-tippers shouldn't expect to be treated any less than someone who tips twenty percent of their bill.

Its not laughable; its reality. Customers are paying for food; they are tipping for service. Performing at the highest level for people that are going to give you the same amount whether they get that or not are foolish.

All servers are, technically, independant contractors. (This is how restraunts get around paying minimum wage.) They are entitled to run their buisness anyway they want.

Cooks looking out for their servers (and vice versa) is human nature. You look after people you work with. If you think they are going to look after a customer that is costing the people they work with on a daily basis, you aren't understanding how trust and teamwork work.

The resteraunt buisness is totally different than your buisness, because you either get paid an hourly wage or a salary. Servers/bartenders get paid BELOW that and are expected to earn 15 percent of their sales in tips. This is factored into their tip out.

Servers take care of the customers that take care of them. Everyone else gets the bare minimum. You pay for food. You get food. You pay for a drink. You get drink. I bring the bill. You pay the bill.

If you think the job is that simple... don't tip. Just don't ask for special orders, mutiple refills, split checks, birthday songs, speedier service, etc. Those things are not required by the resteraunt or bar. They are something a waiter/bartender does for you to make your experience better so they can get tips. (You EXPECT these things. Servers EXPECT to get tips.)

If you want to get in a huff and say you'll take your buisness elsewhere...GOOD! That is exacttly what the server/bartender wants. They would rather have customers that tip filling their tables/bars than people who don't. It's economics.

Once again, a server/bartenders main purpose of working in F&B is to MAKE MONEY. Its not to make sure everyone they service is happy. They work to ensure that happens because THAT IS HOW THEY MAKE MONEY. If I have a million dollars in sales and nobody tips me...I've made the same amount of money that I would have if I had 50 dollars in sales and the same amount of tips. (actually, it cost me more because I've got to tip out based on a million dollars in sales; rather than 50.)

Let me put some things out there for the people that say "I won't give them money when they're paid anyways".

1. Waiters get way less than the minimum wage, which is $7.25 in here, close to $3.25, and their wage per hour depends on the tips that they recieve to make it to $7.25 an hour. In case they get low tips or they don't get tips at all, the employer has to take money from the day's earnings and pay the difference between the 3.25 they get along with the tips and 7.25, which takes a chunk of the place's earnings and would show its damage when you close for the day and your place haven't generated enough money for the day.

2. Giving a tip is a sign of etiquette thought it's not obligatory to give tips if you're unsatisfied with the service (yes, costumer service is evaluated equally if not more than the actual product). For example, you go to a restaurant and you expend $20 or $30 in food and drinks and the waiter does anything and everything in its power to make you feel comfortable until your order is out. If you can spend money in food and drinks, why can't you give the waiters (or the place, really, since you tip the service from the place, not a specific person in the case of restaurants) relatively the amount of spare change?

So yeah, waiters don't win the minimum wage and some of them hustle their way to a tip by going the extra mile to bring good customer service, making tips a big deal for them because it's not fun to get paid around $25 after 8 hours of hard work, does it?

To answer the question, I try to tip as much as I can when the chances presents itself but, then again, I'm not very picky with services given to me.

I don't see the logic in it being almost compulsory to tip your waiter to get more than "Food, drink tip". That seems lazy and unproffesional to me.. You don't see people in non-tip jobs do the bare minimum, no matter how shit their pay is. And you don't tip the police officer who gives you a speeding-ticket cause he's doing an excellent job of it, either... And again, you can't really use the thing about them getting paid less as a proper reason, because that's no fault of the customer. By that logic I could work for free as a waiter, and demand twice the tips cause I get paid nothing at all.. You'd think me an idiot if I did that.

It's "you do a good job to EARN your tip", not "you give a good tip to EARN your service", in my book.

The quality of the service is on the part of the waiter, work for your cash, don't expect people to toss money at you just cause you get paid jack. Work for the tip and odds are, people will tip.. If the waiter is accustomed to tips from everyone, no matter the quality of the service, then why bother with keeping up the quality of the service?

You should earn a tip, not expect it.

If you think the job is that simple... don't tip. Just don't ask for special orders, mutiple refills, split checks, birthday songs, speedier service, etc. Those things are not required by the resteraunt or bar. They are something a waiter/bartender does for you to make your experience better so they can get tips. (You EXPECT these things. Servers EXPECT to get tips.)

First of all, I don't think the job is simple. I know that I'd have a torrid time doing something like that, as I'd be liable to drop everything, and I'm quite clumsy when it comes to things like that, so I have respect for servers. I don't expect things like 'special orders, mutiple refills, split checks, birthday songs, speedier service, etc.' at all. I would expect the refills if that was what the restaurant offered, but none of the other things, hence why I would ask as opposed to tell in the situations in which they would arise. Servers shouldn't expect to get tips, much like I shouldn't automatically expect those things. Personally, I make sure I tip, as I mentioned on the first page. I think it's wrong when people don't tip, or tip enough, but it's just as bad, maybe even worse, that the servers expect to be tipped, and would even resort to lowering performance levels as some sort of payback. In fact, it's quite disrespectful, as they're doing it intentionally. For example, what if that table you're serving has four adults that are low tippers, but also has four children seated at it? Are you going to punish the children, overcook their food, and make them wait longer than necessary because their parents don't cough up a couple more dollars each time they come than they should?

The resteraunt buisness is totally different than your buisness, because you either get paid an hourly wage or a salary. Servers/bartenders get paid BELOW that and are expected to earn 15 percent of their sales in tips. This is factored into their tip out.

We get a basic hourly wage, and a production bonus on top of that. So the more productive and efficient we are (taking account of things such as mystery shopper reports, sales figures, wastage logs and thew like), the higher our bonus is. On the other hand, the less productive and efficient we are, the lower our bonus is. Now, we are guaranteed at least some type of bonus, because that's promised by the business and is in our contracts. We, therefore, expect said bonus, because it it out entitlement as per our contracts. However, the people at the restaurant cannot guarantee the servers tips, and therefore, they shouldn't expect to get them.

Don't forget, by treating people like shit because they're not tipping you is more likely to see you lose business, and give you negative publicity mainly though word of mouth. If that happens, revenue for the restaurant is likely to drop, and what does that revenue help to pay for? That's right, staffing costs, and if they have less money to cover costs, that may mean cutbacks, which could lead to pay cuts and job losses. Essentially, these people could be shooting themselves in the foot; but it would appear that they are too ignorant to take that into consideration, from the way you describe things. However, that may not be the case if it's a different scenario for most places.

The logic from the other side of the fence seems odd to me. Respect is a two way street, but the restaurant staff should act professionally, not like children.

I agree, tips should be earned not expected. You should be consistant in your work no matter who the customer is and whether they tip you or not, if you do you will get the tip most likely.

The "if you don't like the service go elsewhere" thing works both ways, if you don't like being underpaid etc then quit and find another job.

I don't see the logic in it being almost compulsory to tip your waiter to get more than "Food, drink tip". That seems lazy and unproffesional to me.. You don't see people in non-tip jobs do the bare minimum, no matter how shit their pay is. And you don't tip the police officer who gives you a speeding-ticket cause he's doing an excellent job of it, either... And again, you can't really use the thing about them getting paid less as a proper reason, because that's no fault of the customer. By that logic I could work for free as a waiter, and demand twice the tips cause I get paid nothing at all.. You'd think me an idiot if I did that.

It's "you do a good job to EARN your tip", not "you give a good tip to EARN your service", in my book.

The quality of the service is on the part of the waiter, work for your cash, don't expect people to toss money at you just cause you get paid jack. Work for the tip and odds are, people will tip.. If the waiter is accustomed to tips from everyone, no matter the quality of the service, then why bother with keeping up the quality of the service?

Damn right... Mustacio. Most servers/bartenders do "work for their cash". But there are some customers that just don't tip no matter what because of whatever reason. So are you saying that servers and bartenders should give these people the same amount of kick-ass service they would a regular who does tip?

Sorry, if I'm waiting on someone and my main purpose is to make money... I take care of the guy that takes care of me. If a customer doesn't like that, they can complain to a manager (9 times out of 10 a former server that worked his way up) or take their buisness elsewhere (which is great for the server because customers who don't tip won't be taking tables/bar spots from those who do.)

Its funny because the same people who try to appeal to emotional concepts like profesionalism and pride to make servers feel bad about "expecting tips", but then use logical reasoning to explain why they don't tip.

Fair enough, I suppose. Use this logic... Servers are there to make money. If you are a person that has been proven not to give tips, they have no finacial incentive to do anything more than the bare miniumum to satisfy you. You will give them the same amount regardless of how well the service is.

It is smarter, finacially, to focus on the tables that could potnetially tip you better based on service or your regular customers that have been proven to tip well in the past.

The whole "crappy pay isn't an excuse for me to tip" reasoning is fine... but the "everyone should bust their ass becuase its their job" is idealistic and more than a little self-serving. You want the same service as a good tipper, but don't want to tip? GTFO Pride in your job doesn't pay the bills, the amount of scratch you have in your pocket at the end of the day is what really matters...

I've worked in fine dining establishments as a bartender where I was paid a set amount and didn't recieve tips, but that salary off-set that loss... Members of the establishment paid dues that included taking care off the wait staffs salery; so technically, they had already tipped them.

If you want service that goes above and beyond, pay for it. If you want your food and check, pay for that too. The old saying, "You get what you pay for" is very apt here.

I worked those jobs to get through college and made a damn fine living doing it. I had some good times and met a lot of great people doing it. By in large, most people where I was from, tipped. I took care of them and they took care of me. It was a win-win situation for everyone.

First of all, I don't think the job is simple. I know that I'd have a torrid time doing something like that, as I'd be liable to drop everything, and I'm quite clumsy when it comes to things like that, so I have respect for servers. I don't expect things like 'special orders, mutiple refills, split checks, birthday songs, speedier service, etc.' at all. I would expect the refills if that was what the restaurant offered, but none of the other things, hence why I would ask as opposed to tell in the situations in which they would arise. Servers shouldn't expect to get tips, much like I shouldn't automatically expect those things. Personally, I make sure I tip, as I mentioned on the first page. I think it's wrong when people don't tip, or tip enough, but it's just as bad, maybe even worse, that the servers expect to be tipped, and would even resort to lowering performance levels as some sort of payback. In fact, it's quite disrespectful, as they're doing it intentionally. For example, what if that table you're serving has four adults that are low tippers, but also has four children seated at it? Are you going to punish the children, overcook their food, and make them wait longer than necessary because their parents don't cough up a couple more dollars each time they come than they should?

We get a basic hourly wage, and a production bonus on top of that. So the more productive and efficient we are (taking account of things such as mystery shopper reports, sales figures, wastage logs and thew like), the higher our bonus is. On the other hand, the less productive and efficient we are, the lower our bonus is. Now, we are guaranteed at least some type of bonus, because that's promised by the business and is in our contracts. We, therefore, expect said bonus, because it it out entitlement as per our contracts. However, the people at the restaurant cannot guarantee the servers tips, and therefore, they shouldn't expect to get them.

Don't forget, by treating people like shit because they're not tipping you is more likely to see you lose business, and give you negative publicity mainly though word of mouth. If that happens, revenue for the restaurant is likely to drop, and what does that revenue help to pay for? That's right, staffing costs, and if they have less money to cover costs, that may mean cutbacks, which could lead to pay cuts and job losses. Essentially, these people could be shooting themselves in the foot; but it would appear that they are too ignorant to take that into consideration, from the way you describe things. However, that may not be the case if it's a different scenario for most places.

The logic from the other side of the fence seems odd to me. Respect is a two way street, but the restaurant staff should act professionally, not like children.

Glad you brought these points up....

Point A) A server/bartenders job is to make money. The emtional appeal of children doesn't factor into what I make at the end of the day.

For me, I'd make sure the other tables were taken care of and focus on them first and then take care of the low ballers...

My main goal would be to get them the hell out of my section; so I'd get their food out quick, drop the check and try to turn that table over as quickly as possible.

Also... if bad tippers decide not to visit my resteraunt it doesn't hurt me. I don't want them there. As for word of mouth, the tables that do tip me and get good service will off set that. 9 times out of 10 people who don't tip have friends that don't. 9 times out of 10 good tippers are friends with people who tip... Like attracts like.

But there appears to be little consistency, and I just find that wrong. Sure, you're going to have off days and things like that, but I still feel that you should treat the customers equally, regardless of how much they tip. That's not to say that you should lower the standards of service you give to the big tippers, but you should apply it to everyone.

This doesn't seem to happen over here, and I'd expect servers to be worse over here than they are in the States. Personally, I see it as rude, but it's obvious that we're poles apart on this subject.

Like attracts like.

Which could easily happen the other way round.

But there appears to be little consistency, and I just find that wrong. Sure, you're going to have off days and things like that, but I still feel that you should treat the customers equally, regardless of how much they tip. That's not to say that you should lower the standards of service you give to the big tippers, but you should apply it to everyone.

This doesn't seem to happen over here, and I'd expect servers to be worse over here than they are in the States. Personally, I see it as rude, but it's obvious that we're poles apart on this subject.

Like attracts like.

Which could easily happen the other way round.

A bartender/servers job is to make money. You have a finite amount of time to take care of a limited amount of people. The fairness principle sounds great in theory, BUT if someone is going to give you the same amount of money regardless of whether they get shitty service or great service does it make sense to waste part of your finite time on them when you could apply it to someone who will appreciate what you do and finacially compensate you for it? Understand, you only have a certain amount of time...Do the math.

Say you have 30 minutes and 5 tables...(using small numbers)

Do you spend an average of six minutes at each table, even if two aren't going to tip?

Table 1= $5 dollar tip (6 minutes)

Table 2= $3 dollar tip (6 minutes)

Table 3= $3 dollar tip (6 minutes)

Table 4= $0 (6 minutes)

Table 5= $0 (6 minutes)

30 minutes= 11 dollars

Now redivide your time and focus more on the tables that do tip...

Table 1 = (9 minutes) say they appreciate your tip and raise your tip by a dollar... 6

Table 2= (9 minutes) say that 3 minutes is negible, no change

Table 3= (8 minutes) the same as above...

Table 4= (2 minutes) same tip (0)

Table 5= (2 minutes) same tip (0)

30 minutes= 12 dollars AND Tables 1, 2 and 3 are more likely to return becuase of their service while Tables 4 and 5 aren't.

Also the increase in service at the other three tables would proabbly increase your tip. That four minutes you wasted at the other tables would have resulted in the same net amount ($0) (I screwed up the math, the first time through but you get the point)

Say you work overtime at your place of buisness, you get paid extra for it...

Would it make sense to work overtime if you didn't get overtime pay? Sure you would get paid, but would it really be worth your time and effort to work over 40 hours for the same pay?

i'm usually waiting on the waiter, waiting for her to stop talking to the bar man and come take my order already.

No it's more the fact that she knew the bar man was hot and wanted to offer him her services after work so was more interested in chatting him up instead of doing her job.

You see it's a bit silly for waiters to be in the mindset of "oh i only do my job if i get tipped", can you imagine that anywhere else? "no i won't be performing open heart surgery on your son, you didn't tip me last time", it's extremely petty. It's like a mechanic only putting your wheels back on to a certain amount because they didn't get a tip in the past, they should do their job no matter if they got a tip before or not, why? because it's their job, that is what they are paid to do with or without a tip, it's their fault for taking such a low paying job, there is no sign above the restaraunt that says "if you don't tip, you don't get service" so i wouldn't expect that to happen (and i never have had it happen either).

I'm British, in britain waiters do get minimum wage and the tips are like a bonus for them, if there is a waiter who doesn't serve someone because they know they don't tip then they shouldn't be working there because it looks terrible on the restaraunt, so if i thought a waiter wasn't serving me on purpose then i'd just go complain to their manager about them and hey i'd be the one winning because i'd probably then get the meal for free as an apology.

"It's Etiquette" is a load of crap, it's nothing but people doing it because "it's the done thing to do", i wouldn't be against tipping the guy who cooked the meal if it was outstanding, but the waiter who done nothing but bring it to you? No way. I'd sooner go get the meal myself than give them a tip for walking across a room with a plate.

i'm usually waiting on the waiter, waiting for her to stop talking to the bar man and come take my order already.

No it's more the fact that she knew the bar man was hot and wanted to offer him her services after work so was more interested in chatting him up instead of doing her job.

You see it's a bit silly for waiters to be in the mindset of "oh i only do my job if i get tipped", can you imagine that anywhere else? "no i won't be performing open heart surgery on your son, you didn't tip me last time", it's extremely petty. It's like a mechanic only putting your wheels back on to a certain amount because they didn't get a tip in the past, they should do their job no matter if they got a tip before or not, why? because it's their job, that is what they are paid to do with or without a tip, it's their fault for taking such a low paying job, there is no sign above the restaraunt that says "if you don't tip, you don't get service" so i wouldn't expect that to happen (and i never have had it happen either).

I'm British, in britain waiters do get minimum wage and the tips are like a bonus for them, if there is a waiter who doesn't serve someone because they know they don't tip then they shouldn't be working there because it looks terrible on the restaraunt, so if i thought a waiter wasn't serving me on purpose then i'd just go complain to their manager about them and hey i'd be the one winning because i'd probably then get the meal for free as an apology.

Great points.. think about this, however.

A mechanic gets paid a set amount beforehand. He knows what he is charging you and if he finds something else wrong would you expect him to fix it for free because he's a profesional?

If a car company offered him a large amount of money to fix several cars at a higher rate than what you are paying and it had to be done by tomorrow, do you think he would fix your car first and potentially miss out on his big pay day? *censored* no, he'd bump your car to the end of the line and go where the money is.

Its not "I only do my job if I get tipped"; its more about going above and beyond for the people that take care of you and providing the minimum amount of service for those that don't.

You paid for food. She brought you food. She fufilled the basics of the job... no more; no less.

I give a tip when I get my hair cut. It usually costs £7.00, but I just give him £10.00.

I bet the guy takes good care of you, doesn't he?

My barber used to cut my hair on his off day, if I was in a pinch. He'd cut me in front of people when he was busy. (I'd normally decline, but there were a few times when it came in handy.) He'd throw in a freebie every now and then. We had a good working relationship that benifitted both parties.

Classy guy right here. You know that they don't get paid much, they bust their ass for you, and you still don't tip them? But you'd complain if they don't give you good service? Why should I do my job for you to your satisfaction (a job which requires you to tip me) if you won't give me the extra $5 in your wallet? That's bull. Seriously, I would sympathize more with the waiter who you stuck, rather than you if you got cold food and crappy service.

From The Art of Manliness:

Why Tip?

The difference between regular jobs and many jobs that require tips is that they are service jobs, and they are called service jobs because they are directly serving you. They personally and intimately affect you. You do not need to always tip people like tow truck drivers or baristas, and you do not have to tip people for doing their job per se. But you might think about tipping people for the following reasons:

1) If the person went above and beyond regular service. It is just a way of showing gratitude for a job well done and going the extra mile. Some people say, “Why do I have to tip people for doing their job?” To them I respond, “Does the company you work for give bonuses after a project is completed successfully?” And what is a bonus if not just a very large tip? When bonuses are offered, people do not generally say “There is no need to give me a bonus. I was just doing my job.”

2) To show your gratitude. Another word for tip is “gratuity.” Many people in service jobs are overworked, underpaid, and unthanked. At your job when you do something right, your supervisor says “thank you,” and “job well done!” Who says thank you to the trashmen? Many service jobs are jobs we don’t want to do, and we are grateful people are there day in and day out doing them for us. Our trash gets taken away, our mail gets delivered, our food is served to us. Their pay often does not match their effort. Who thinks that teachers’ pay is commensurate with the work they put in? Tipping is a way to say “thank you” to those who rarely hear it.

3) Tipping ensures great service. This is especially true of people who perform service for you regularly. If you tip a barista at a coffee shop you frequent, or a waiter at your favorite restaurant, they will give you even better service next time. For example, I used to work at a pizza place and when an order came in, if the pizza delivery guy recognized the name, and remembered they were a big tipper, they would bust their butt to get the order out. They would even take the tipper their order BEFORE orders that had come in earlier. If an order came up for a name they recognized as a bad tipper, they would deliver that order later. Similarly, when I worked at smoothie place, this one customer would tip us very heavily every time she came in. So during her visits we were practically falling over ourselves to get her order out. We would start making it even before she paid. And we would always throw in extra goodies. So in things you do regularly, generous tipping is certainly not essential, but can guarantee you better service.

4) That person’s livelihood depends on our tipping. An unsettling number of people don’t seem to realize that many service workers in the US, like waitresses, do not get a regular hourly wage. They get paid something like $2.50 an hour. If you don’t tip, they could end up making less than minimum wage. Tipping in these cases is not optional, but necessary. I know our non-American readers will criticize a system that doesn’t pay everyone a decent wage with benefits. But such criticism will not change the current reality. Plus, if companies were to start paying everyone a living wage plus benefits then the cost of goods and services would rise. Thus, you would end up paying out of your pocket anyway. So if you deeply believe in everyone receiving a fair wage, then why not do your part to make it a reality now?

Set and point. In my book, you're an ass if you purposely don't tip your waiter or whatever if they've given you awesome service.

Damn right... Mustacio. Most servers/bartenders do "work for their cash". But there are some customers that just don't tip no matter what because of whatever reason. So are you saying that servers and bartenders should give these people the same amount of kick-ass service they would a regular who does tip?

The whole "crappy pay isn't an excuse for me to tip" reasoning is fine... but the "everyone should bust their ass becuase its their job" is idealistic and more than a little self-serving. You want the same service as a good tipper, but don't want to tip? GTFO Pride in your job doesn't pay the bills, the amount of scratch you have in your pocket at the end of the day is what really matters...

First paragraph:

Yes servers and bartenders should give everyone the same kick-ass serving from the get go, the tip comes at the end of service, not before. If they want a great tip, they should provide great service.. If they're happy with an average tip, provide average service. They have no way of knowing if they'll get a great tip unless they provide service worthy of said tip. The quality of the tip is equal to the quality of service, the quality of service can't be equal to the quality of the tip, as one comes before the other.

Otherwise open the serving with "20 dollar tip, I will be awesome. 10 dollars normal. Nothing.. I shit on your waffles".

Second paragraph:

I never said I wanted the same service, although I belive that it's on the waiter's "To do list" to always want to be a great waiter, good tipper or not (again, you don't know who's a good tipper and who isn't, cause the tip comes at the end of a meal), so you basically have to put your best foot forward. Also, tipping isn't a rule. Pride in your job doesn't pay the bills, I agree. However; doing a good *censored*ing job pays the bills. At the end of the day, it's the customers cash, and the customer decides how much and how often they will tip. I really do not see at all why I should tip a waiter for doing his job. He's a waiter, a waiter's job is to bring me food and drink, the ONLY reason I need to pay him is because he gets SHIT all.. And that is not my fault. The only reason he's dependent on my tip in the first place is the shit pay, and the shit pay is no fault of mine. I will tip for good service, I totally will. But I won't tip "just because".

I'm not against tipping for great service, I'm against the totally bananas reasoning behind the whole tipping malarkey.

Say you work overtime at your place of buisness, you get paid extra for it...

Would it make sense to work overtime if you didn't get overtime pay? Sure you would get paid, but would it really be worth your time and effort to work over 40 hours for the same pay?

The rate of overtime pay is something you have agree'd on or understood when accepting the job, it's something that is in your contract as an employee, if someone isn't getting extra pay for overtime and decides not to do any overtime due to that reason that is the fault of the employer for not paying their employees more, the same as it's the fault of the employer for not paying their staff minimum wage and expecting their own customers to pay the rest of the waiters wages.

There is a difference between deciding to not do overtime and deciding to not do your job (or not as well as you could do it) because you haven't been tipped. If some woman is working in a shop serving people at a till, does she decide to not serve customers that don't tip her? does she allow her "best customers" to come to the front and jump the queue? no, she gets on with her job because that is her job, serving customers, no matter if they have let her keep the change before or not. What if a guy packing boxes in a warehouse decided to start packing all the items shoddily because the people they are being sent to never gave him a tip? it just wouldn't happen, it shouldn't happen with waiters either, if they get tipped then great but don't take it out on customers because you accepted to work for such poor pay and your boss won't give you more money. Overtime is no where near the same thing.

Great points.. think about this, however.

A mechanic gets paid a set amount beforehand. He knows what he is charging you and if he finds something else wrong would you expect him to fix it for free because he's a profesional?

If a car company offered him a large amount of money to fix several cars at a higher rate than what you are paying and it had to be done by tomorrow, do you think he would fix your car first and potentially miss out on his big pay day? *censored* no, he'd bump your car to the end of the line and go where the money is.

Its not "I only do my job if I get tipped"; its more about going above and beyond for the people that take care of you and providing the minimum amount of service for those that don't.

You paid for food. She brought you food. She fufilled the basics of the job... no more; no less.

If a mechanic finds something that also needs fixing (which lets face it they magically find something that needs fixing every damn time, the bastards) then no i wouldn't expect him to fix it for free, just the same i wouldn't expect more from a waiter than to do his/her job, i don't expect a free dessert from them or anything, just for them to do their job.

Well in all reality if a garage was established enough to take on something as big as doing several cars with-in such a short time and on such a short notice for a car company then they'd usually have enough mechanics there to take it all on and i wouldn't really be affected, sure i might be bumped back but then they'd phone me and tell me when they can do it by (something a mechanic usually does before he starts his job because as mentioned, they always find something else and have to check the price with you, pick up times and so on), if it was going to be bumped back by a silly amount of time then i'd take my car elsewhere.

Archived