When Should WWE Have Pulled The Trigger on Del Rio?

Gooner Lad

33 members have voted

1. 1. When should Alberto Del Rio have won a World title?

• WrestleMania XXVII
    • Extreme Rules 2011
    • Money in the Bank 2011
    • SummerSlam 2011
    • Night of Champions 2011
    • Hell in a Cell 2011
    • Raw/SmackDown in Mexico
    • Other
    • NEVER!!!

Thinking about Raw last night in Mexico, I remember thiking back when it was announced that there would be TV tapings in the country that THAT would be the time that Alberto Del Rio would have won his first world chamionship. It would have been an epic moment for a first world title win (it may even have gotten a better reaction than Christian's first World Heavyweight title win?), but I guess WWE probably thought he was a heel so it would make any sense being such a grand win. I don't think it would have been such a bad idea, but that's just my opinion.

When do you think Del Rio should have won the WWE or World Heavyweight Championship for the first time? It could have been at 'Mania this year, or at the following PPV. Maybe you thought he should have cashed it in on the night he won it (he almost did come to think of it)? Or maybe you think Del Rio should never have become champ...

EDIT: Or maybe you thought WWE did it at the right time? (just thought I'd add that line in quickly just in case people think I'm whining :P )

If Edge didn't have to retire, I don't think half the things that are going on WWE wouldn't be happening right now (as far as storylines/feuds, and whatnot are concerned). If Edge hadn't retired, Del Rio would have defeated Edge for the World title @ Extreme Rules, or hell, probably at Wrestlemania, too. Who knows?

If Edge didn't have to retire, I don't think half the things that are going on WWE wouldn't be happening right now (as far as storylines/feuds, and whatnot are concerned). If Edge hadn't retired, Del Rio would have defeated Edge for the World title @ Extreme Rules, or hell, probably at Wrestlemania, too. Who knows?

This. If Edge wasn't forced to retire, Alberto Del Rio would've won the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania, no doubt.

Although that would probably mean Christian would've never capture the big gold ...

This. If Edge wasn't forced to retire, Alberto Del Rio would've won the World Heavyweight Championship at Extreme Rules, no doubt.

Although that would probably mean Christian would've never capture the big gold ...

Fixed. I highly doubt creative knew Edge was going to retire a week after WM.

Not for a long time. This is WWE's problem they bring someone in new to the WWE fans and they put the belt on them so soon. What they should of done is given the fans time and got used to him and had him win the World title in 3-4 years time. I dont get why they have to rush titles on people these days. People like Shawn and Austin didnt get the belts this quick.

Not for a long time. This is WWE's problem they bring someone in new to the WWE fans and they put the belt on them so soon. What they should of done is given the fans time and got used to him and had him win the World title in 3-4 years time. I dont get why they have to rush titles on people these days. People like Shawn and Austin didnt get the belts this quick.

I'm not a fan of pushing people too quickly into the title picture, but it has worked in the past with Brock Lesnar. Maybe WWE are looking for the next Brock?

Why is Wrestlemania 17 on the poll?

It doesn't really matter when they pull the trigger, it's how they do it. He hasn't been bad or anything and his initial win was used well. Giving the belt to Cena just so Del Rio could win it back was stupid though. Especially if Cena gets it back again on Sunday.

I'm not a fan of pushing people too quickly into the title picture, but it has worked in the past with Brock Lesnar. Maybe WWE are looking for the next Brock?

The thing with Brock was he was a pretty big guy who was dominant in every match he had. Del Rio is just a skinny punk. They need to stop all this over pushing.

Sheamus?

This just reminded me of all those promo's on Smackdown or Raw (can't remember which) where he was talking about making his debut in a few weeks etc. As far as when he should have got the title... Wrestlemania would have been great for him, but I'm finding him a little bland at the moment. Although, I do enjoy seeing his entrances with the cars.

Why is Wrestlemania 17 on the poll?

It doesn't really matter when they pull the trigger, it's how they do it. He hasn't been bad or anything and his initial win was used well. Giving the belt to Cena just so Del Rio could win it back was stupid though. Especially if Cena gets it back again on Sunday.

Nice catch. It's fixed now, f***ing Roman numerals.

Not really sure, WWE gave the man every achievement possible, but booked him so weak, I'm talking weaker than any other heel in the WWE. WWE never fully committed to him, but I will say part of it's circumstantial.

When he was poised to win the World title, Edge retired and Christian seemed to be the better option. When it was basically set in stone that he was going to face Cena at Summerslam, CM Punk's emergence happened. Although, he won the title he wasn't the focus of the program.

By the time September hit, Del Rio's reign was extremely uneventful, I remember he missed an entire show and no one noticed. They took the belt off him in a terrible fashion that month just to put it back on him two weeks later, and now his feud with Cena basically feels like filler, which is sad considering "the most prestigious title" is being defended.

So, basically if the WWE wanted to cement Del Rio as a major star than they should have pulled the trigger at Mania and built him up strongly. It's pretty much pointless that he's even holding the belt now.

WWE shouldn't even have pulled the trigger on Del Rio yet.... I don't think anyone...like....believes anything about this run... he's doesn't get any more or less heat or cheers than before he won it... especially when he isn't even anywhere near being the center of attention during all of this storylinage...

Looking back, I'd say Mania. Although since it ended up being Edge's final match, I'm okay with him losing then. Extreme Rules though, I'd say he should've won that. With the way Christian's heel turn ending up happening, I would've much preferred Del Rio winning the World title after all the build they gave him then Christian getting barely a sympathy run with the belt for 2 nights before WWE decided that he should be heel against Orton.

Even then, I do feel that ADR's rise has been somewhat too fast, hence his very stale character and promos.

Archived