Daniel Bryan's Money in the Bank

Gooner Lad

So Daniel Bryan won the MITB briefcase in July and announced he would cash in at WWE's biggest event of the year: WrestleMania. He then competed with Wade Barrett at SummerSlam, and lost. Recently, he's been the set-up man fot the Sin Cara vs. Sin Cara feud... he's not done anything else. Personally, I think this is the worst Money in the Bank build-up ever. Maybe I'm being to hasty, but Bryan has never been less relevant in the WWE to be honest. Think back to all the other MITB winners...

EDGE: 2005 - One of the better build-ups. His alliance with Lita and high-profile feud with Matt Hardy helped to make Edge super-over and prepared him for his first world title. In 2007, he took it off of Mr. Kennedy on Raw and cashed it in on the very next SmackDown.

RVD: 2006 - Another good build-up. Announced he would cash in at One Night Stand and the rivalry with Cena paid off big at the actual PPV. Plus in the mean-time he won the IC title.

MR. KENNEDY: 2007 - Never cashed in due to injury.

CM PUNK: 2008/2009 - Can't remember him doing much first time round, but I'm sure he featured prominently on ECW before he was drafted to Raw and cashed in straight away. Second time, he passed the time in a feud with Umaga before igniting the big heel turn and Jeff Hardy rivalry.

JACK SWAGGER: 2010 - Random win, but he cashed in a couple of days later in a "shocker".

KANE: 2010 - Cashed in on the night.

THE MIZ: 2010 - Slowly became the main heel on Raw (barring Barrett through the Nexus), had a decent US title reign and (ironically) put over Daniel Bryan, and also gained Alex Riley as an apprentice (which made sense as a heel).

DEL RIO: 2011 - He didn't do much either, but he was essentially built up towards the main event ever since his debut in 2010.

Sure Kane, Swagger and Edge for his second cashed in without any real build, at least it stopped them looking insignificant, which Daniel Bryan is suffering from right now.

So what does everyone else think? Is Bryan's current build up towards cashing in his Money in the Bank "the worst ever"? Does it need more time to see how it all goes down? Why is Bryan's build-up lacking (if you agree it is lacking)? And why the f**k did he lose to Wade Barrett at SummerSlam when the only thing WWE have done with Wade since then is use him as jobber fodder for Cena and Superstars filler with Trent Baretta?

I was thinking this earlier today myself. Bryan won the contract in July and I thought great, finally some recognition for probably the best wrestler in the company. Then the build up for him has been poor. He's not featured enough on SmackDown or on PPV's for my liking. He needs a solid feud soon before it's too late and he becomes just another name.

i think they should turn Bryan heel. He has potencial and i think he can change his moveset to something more "agresive". Then put him with Christian and company supporting the theory of a "conspiracy" saying wwe want him to not cash in and talking about how everything has become difficult to him since mitb.

then start feuding with some main eventer and suddenly cash in before wm to a big shock. Maybe the show before WM and change the card of WM drasticaly

Actually Daniel Bryan's run with the briefcase is very similar to Punk's in 2008. Constant jobbing to bigger stars and being treated as Cannon Fodder in other feuds. Punk ending up having a pretty forgetabble title reign and dropped right back to the midcard after getting beaten Jericho in a Cage match. I think Bryan is going to have it worse.

i think they should turn Bryan heel. He has potencial and i think he can change his moveset to something more "agresive". Then put him with Christian and company supporting the theory of a "conspiracy" saying wwe want him to not cash in and talking about how everything has become difficult to him since mitb.

then start feuding with some main eventer and suddenly cash in before wm to a big shock. Maybe the show before WM and change the card of WM drasticaly

The thing is I noticed with WWE is that if someone with a moveset like Bryan's goes heel, they make them waterdown their moveset (most likely so they don't get pops for doing high flying moves). Before when CM Punk was a face he had a lot of high flying moves in his moveset and I don't think he uses any now (Yes I am aware he's a face again).

So turning Daniel Bryan heel wouldn't be the best thing imo. He's incredibly entertaining in the ring, I mean, he still would be as a heel but just not as much as he is now.

I pretty much agree, so far this build up hasn't been very good. I don't think he has won a single match since he got the MitB briefcase. If he has I just can't remember because its been a while since he actually won. But you have to remember that its still quite a while before Wrestlemania. WWE has still got plenty of time to make his build up great, so lets hope they don't drop the ball with him.

The thing is I noticed with WWE is that if someone with a moveset like Bryan's goes heel, they make them waterdown their moveset (most likely so they don't get pops for doing high flying moves). Before when CM Punk was a face he had a lot of high flying moves in his moveset and I don't think he uses any now (Yes I am aware he's a face again).

So turning Daniel Bryan heel wouldn't be the best thing imo. He's incredibly entertaining in the ring, I mean, he still would be as a heel but just not as much as he is now.

He is already very watered down, his persona and his move set, so if they do it anymore what is there left of Bryan? lol.

He is already very watered down, his persona and his move set, so if they do it anymore what is there left of Bryan? lol.

Exactly. He's nothing like ROH Bryan.

I pretty much agree, so far this build up hasn't been very good. I don't think he has won a single match since he got the MitB briefcase. If he has I just can't remember because its been a while since he actually won. But you have to remember that its still quite a while before Wrestlemania. WWE has still got plenty of time to make his build up great, so lets hope they don't drop the ball with him.

He's won the last 2 weeks on NXT/superstars depending.

Or it could be the best build-up. Hes jobbing constantly, yes, but what are the options? Turn heel and get focused leading to constant wins, staying face and becoming focused leading to constant wins, Its just a while away from Bryan either being completely buried, or being pushed to the moon. I think they're building sympathy for Bryan so he can win in the end.

He's won the last 2 weeks on NXT/superstars depending.

I haven't been watching NXT or Superstars lately. But I believe that WWE needs to have him start doing that on Smackdown or Raw against someone like Ziggler or Rhodes to really start getting people's focus. I'm not trying to put down any wrestler in NXT or Superstars, but I think its safe to say that the majority of fans only watch Smackdown and Raw. The only people who are really behind him as of now are people who have been following his career before he was in WWE.

haha I was being a smartass more then making a point.

Beating baretta and slater isn't really a huge push for anyone let alone a MITB winner right now.

Bryan may not be winning right now, but he is developing a character, which might be more important for him right now. His in ring work is fine, it's his mic work that's holding him back.

Check out his backstage interview regarding this same topic.

Starts at 1:20

Could I say right now anymore? I don't think I can, atleast not right now.

I don't really know how to think about Bryan's current position. While I think it sucks that a MITB holder, especially Bryan, is getting the short end of the stick here, he still has 5 months to get built up. They will need to build him up considerably though, because it will be Wrestlemania, and because he hasn't had anything going on for him for a while now. Hopefully he doesn't get shafted, because he deserves the best.

I wanted Umaga to steal Punk's 2nd MITB and cash it in himself. It sucked that WWE fired/released him after their match at Extreme Rules 2009.

Anyway I think Bryan should fued with either Wade Barrett for a bit or maybe Cody Rhodes and win the IC Title. Or they could build him up like Edge and have him in Tournament's for the World Heavyweight Championship while having the option of cashing in any time he likes.

Edit; Just had the idea of fueding him with Christian. Seeing as Christian is always going on about wanting one more chance, WWE could have him think that Bryan is undeserving of the MITB Case and that he want it to guarantee that he gets one more chance.

Or something to that effect.

I wanted Umaga to steal Punk's 2nd MITB and cash it in himself. It sucked that WWE fired/released him after their match at Extreme Rules 2009.

Anyway I think Bryan should fued with either Wade Barrett for a bit or maybe Cody Rhodes and win the IC Title. Or they could build him up like Edge and have him in Tournament's for the World Heavyweight Championship while having the option of cashing in any time he likes.

Edit; Just had the idea of fueding him with Christian. Seeing as Christian is always going on about wanting one more chance, WWE could have him think that Bryan is undeserving of the MITB Case and that he want it to guarantee that he gets one more chance.

Or something to that effect.

That makes so much sense that I doubt it'll even cross WWE's mind.

Nah, it wouldn't make sense for Bryan to win the IC title if he already has a guaranteed at the WHC title. Also, if Cody's making the IC title a stepping stone to the main event again, what use does Bryan have for it. Again, he has the briefcase, so he has his own stepping stone. Putting the IC title on Bryan wouldn't hurt but it wouldn't do much good, imo.

I think the build up has been as good as it really can do. I mean, what is there for him to do to build it up? Come out and say he will win at Mania every week? What feuds could last that long with him to build it up?

I like the build up, although I'm still hoping he becomes the first to fail after cashing in.

I like him, but I'm just ready to see someone fail.

Will you guys settle down? It's only been 3 months. If the WWE right now is showing us anything, it's that we don't know what's going to happen, and that speculating doesn't do anybody any good. You guys can have your little fantasies, and speculations, but at the end of the day, you have to be open to everything that happens and not get all grumpy and annoyed if the WWE Creative writing team ends up writing something that's a tad bit different than what you had come up with in your own head.

I still can't believe they're wasting their Money in the Bank holder and one of the best talents of their roster (and the world) on shows like Superstars and NXT. If he appears on SmackDown!, which is rarely, he loses (I know, he was in the Battle Royal, but please, even Primo was in). The commentators didn't even give a shit about him. I just hope he'll still make it to WrestleMania with his briefcase and win the title. I'd love to see D-Bryan getting the Benoit-WM XX treatment though.

I think Daniel Bryan will make some kind of "comeback" and then, right before WrestleMania or so, he puts his contract on the line against the Royal Rumble winner and loses (or a similar storyline). Then he turns Heel and focuses on the World Title ... or the WWE just put him in the Midcard again. I don't know why, but I'd blame Vince if that happens. :shift: Until then, I'll just wait and see ... have been doing that since he lost to Woy Barruh at SummerSlam.

I always chuckle when people start saying that the MiTB winner will be the first to fail.

"Swagger is going to be the first."

"Miz is going to be the first."

"Del Rio is going to be the first."

"Daniel Bryan will be the first."

It is possible? Sure. But history has shown that we are wrong most of the time. And the more the dirt sheets run with the idea, the less likely it will be.

"My favourite guy doesn't get the build up he deserves."

Oh, shut up. Bryan is MitB holder! What is nearly so good as a World title. He have a build up. A very long build-up. After every match he looks more confused about his briefcase.

Archived