Boxing Thread

RVD 4:20

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's annoyed regardless of the date. To be honest since the MvM fight will probably suck and have people complaining about Floyd yet again, they'll be able to use that as fuel to promote the Canelo-GGG fight.

Ward vs Kovalev II this weekend. I enjoyed the first fight a lot and I think this has a chance of being even better. Just like the first time, I'm not sure who's gonna win. I predicted Ward would barely win the first one, so I'll predict the same thing for this time.

Showtime has officially announced that Former New Japan Pro Wrestling and WWE Smackdown Live announcer Mauro Ranallo will be the lead play-by-play announcer for the August 26th Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor fight.

Showtime officials told The Sporting News that the usual broadcasting team would handle calling the event, and it would also feature guest commentators, likely from UFC.

Brian Custer was announced as the host of the show, while Ranallo will handle play-by-play.

https://twitter.com/mauroranallo/status/875657130220560385

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/849971-mauro-ranallo-to-call-floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor-fight

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really wish this was a two-fight series with the second fight being in MMA. I'm pretty sure in MMA Connor would beat Floyd much worse than Floyd could ever beat Connor in boxing. In boxing Connor might escape without being knocked out or even any bleeding but in MMA Floyd would probably be take out on a stretcher, if not a body bag.

Floyd's 40 years old. There's no need for him to even be in the ring with anyone, let alone the octagon. Also Conor isn't going to avoid punishment unless his corner does the right thing and stops the fight before it can get ugly.

Strange, I've clicked on the 'follow this topic' button and it only works once. Is there a way to follow it continuously without having to keep clicking on it?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still reserved in doubting McGregor.

I've heard rumors that his training footage has been selectively underwhelming to trick Floyd and his camp...and I also just watched Paulie Malignaggi say that he was supposed to spar 6 rounds with him, but ended up doing 8 because things were going well...and in that same interview, he said that McGregor has a plan, and essentially knows what he's doing.

I know the anti-McGregor side is going to push hard on how badly he's going to be beaten...right up to the fight. But, yeah...I'm just gonna sit back and wait. The guy is a physical specimen who has been training harder than he has in his entire life. The sweet science might be real, but it's still very much arguable that Conor could punk this dude out. Mayweather is a defensive boxer, and McGregor is the type of guy to walk around with his hands behind his back and his chin out, to bait him into being an offensive fighter...which would be a mistake on Floyd's part, IMO...and could definitely lead to a KO victory for Conor, if his mindgames are working on that night. If McGregor chases Floyd, he loses pretty quickly...if his mindgames work, and he pisses off Floyd so badly that he deviates from being on the defensive...then who knows.

You've also got the pressure. McGregor really doesn't have anything to lose. Bragging rights? A bit of dignity? Sure. But not on the scale that Mayweather does...an undefeated career...going for his 50th victory and retirement? Huge amount of pressure. If his mind is on that, rather than the midngames that Conor will surely be unloading...then, again...who knows.

But, who am I kidding...this fight will probably be fixed anyway. It's exactly the type of high profile fight that would have outside interests mucking it up.

• 1 month later...

Meh. Boxing looks like a bigger joke than it has in a while. It probably would have been better for boxing if McGregor actually won. But, anyway...back to the status quo of life. Didn't win any money, didn't lose any money, didn't spend any money. Worked all day, watched a pretty typical boxing match. Yup...glad it's over. McGregor looks good enough to return to UFC, to get whatever fights he had lined up...or maybe even pursue a further career in boxing. And hopefully I never have to see Mayweather's face again, because the site of him irks me.

Meh. Boxing looks like a bigger joke than it has in a while. It probably would have been better for boxing if McGregor actually won. But, anyway...back to the status quo of life. Didn't win any money, didn't lose any money, didn't spend any money. Worked all day, watched a pretty typical boxing match. Yup...glad it's over. McGregor looks good enough to return to UFC, to get whatever fights he had lined up...or maybe even pursue a further career in boxing. And hopefully I never have to see Mayweather's face again, because the site of him irks me.

Same, especially the last line. To think someone has made a billion dollars during their life from punching people in the face is just mind boggling.

Archived