Official ROH Show Discussion

BlackToxic

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Can't say I'm too thrilled with Steen using the F-5 as a new finisher, much rather see him use the crossface or the sharpshooter.

Cool little match with Mikey Mondo and Matt Taven though. I think I've actually seen Taven once or twice at some local shows, I forgot how...Pauly Shore-ish he looked. Buh-dy

• 2 weeks later...

Steen is using f5 as his main finisher? hmm. I'm fine with that... but I think he needs to slim down a little. I miss not so fat Steen.

I'm not hating "fatter" Steen. He sort of has that Dick Murdock feel to him.

I'd hate for him to go "Samoa Joe" and get too big to work effectivly, but he seems just as fluid in the ring as ever.

Code of Honor is a handshake before and after the match. That's pretty much it.

You are right about... now.

But it used to mean much more than that though. Initially it was a way to show that Ring of Honor was about workrate and providing fair and believable match finishes. Not over-relying on run-ins and various forms of Dusty finishes. No over-reliance on weapons and trying to be all extreme and hardcore either. The Code of Honor represented the heart & soul of Ring of Honor. It was in part a marketing philosophy that ROH used to champion their product as that which made Ring of Honor superior to other competitors. It was like saying, we aren't WWE try hards, we aren't ECW knock offs, we aren't typical indy spot-fests. We are all about old-school, hard hitting, technical wrestling with satisfying results that aren't soaked in melodrama or the booker's fear of putting one top tier wrestler over another in a wrestling match in our company.

Then after all of that was well established, it quickly just became a way to easily identify heels and faces. Now it is really nothing more than a pre and post match handshake.

I don't watch ROH this days, so can anyone tell me if Maria is officially a part of ROH?

Yeah, I believe she's Mike Bennett's girlfriend in real life and his manager in ROH along with Brutal Bob.

i tried watching roh i watched the first episode and that was it. It was good wrestling but other wise it was boring. I guess in wrestling shows you can't win with Roh: good wrestling kinda boring TNA: too much talking cluster*censored* wrestling and WWE: stretched out matches.

Sometimes, ROH is boring sometimes it's great. The WWE had done damage to wrestling in the US that a real professional wrestling match can be viewed as boring. Not saying it's bad, but one can tell that after being used to watching sports entertainment that a puroresu style on American scene can be bland.

• 2 weeks later...

Jay Lethal has it, but that Tommasso Ciampa guy stole Lethal's belt. The TV title, like other TV titles before it has a time limit (I think 15 mins), and they had a 15 min draw at a recent event, but afterwards Ciampa attacked Jay and ran off with his belt.

Also, I agree with what you said before that Oliber. Though I feel personally unaffected by it. WWE's hype machine doesn't ruin real wrestling for me, but I realize it does that for some.

That said, sometimes ROH can be boring, because some of their talent just don't have interesting gimmicks and/or are not very good on the mic. But they also have some guys very talented in that department. Kevin Steen right now is really saving ROH. I'd check it out every week for the matches. But seeing what Steen is up to is what really hooks me.

After last night's opening promo, I'd like to see a six pack challenge for the World title. Davey, Eddie, Roddy, Steen, Lethal, and Elgin. Although there's supposed to be a 4 way at Showdown in the Sun so I guess it's close enough.