Official ROH Show Discussion

BlackToxic

ROH Announces World Championship Match For 16th Anniversary PPV

Ring of Honor has announced ROH World Champion Dalton Castle will take on Jay Lethal at their 16th Anniversary Show on March 9 in Las Vegas. In the promo above, Lethal says he stands the number one contender at the moment and has gone through a lot to get back to this spot.

"Look at my track record, Dalton. Look at what I have done," Lethal said. "Look at the line of people I have beat! I beat Jay Briscoe when he was unbeatable. I beat two people in one day. I've been humiliated, put in a hospital, my head has been shaved! And I have made it to this moment. One more time, I will become the Ring of Honor World Champion."

Lethal's last run as ROH World Champion lasted 427 days, fourth longest behind Bryan Danielson (462), Nigel McGuinness (545), and Samoa Joe (645).

Also announced for the card, ROH World Tag Team Champions Motor City Machine Guns will face the The Briscoes. Below is the full card:

* Dalton Castle © with The Boys vs. Jay Lethal (ROH World Championship)

* Motor City Machine Guns © vs. The Briscoes (ROH World Tag Team Championship)

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2018/0221/637188/roh-announces-world-championship-match-for-16th-anniversary-ppv/

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deonna Purrazzo recently spoke with Joshua Caudill for Crave Online; you can read a few highlights below:

Purrazzo comments on all of the accolades seen by womens wrestlers as of late:

I had this vision as a kid of what womens wrestling could be and its everything that were seeing today. It was my goal to be a wrestler and help change the way women are viewed in wrestling. Last month they had the first ever womens Royal Rumble, they had the Mae Young Classic and now were doing the first ever Women of Honor champion. All of these great moments in womens wrestling have happened in the last three years. Its really fulfilling to see all of these people come together and work toward this common goal that we all had.

Deonna comments on Ronda Rousey signing with WWE:

I think women like Ronda Rousey were the catalyst for this womens movement. It hasnt just been wrestling. Its women in sports across the board. Women like Ronda Rousey, women like Serena Williams, theres women all over the world who have been pushing for this in general. Not just women athletes but women. I think in the last six months weve seen such a push for equal rights and women to be taken seriously and its been in the news and media so much. Ronda coming to WWE she said was a dream of hers and was something that followed her throughout her whole life and I think having someone whos a serious athlete come to WWE kind of validates, even more so, womens wrestling and the credibility behind it.

Purrazzo comments on some of the Women Of Honor mainstays working towards a common goal:

The core group of women that have worked with WOH like myself, Mandy, Kelly Klein and Jenny Rose have really given a lot of input in who works with Women of Honor and the direction we see in not only ourselves and the division. We really had a hands-on approach in developing this.

http://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/925697-deonna-purrazzo-on-womens-wrestling-fulfilling-goals-ronda-rousey-being-a-catalyst-developing-women-of-honor

The first event of the two-night "Honor Rising" event presented by New Japan Pro Wrestling and Ring of Honor at Korakuen Hall in Tokyo, Japan will take place tomorrow, Friday 2/3, featuring:

*Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi & Chase Owens vs. Marty Scurll & Cody Rhodes & Adam Page.

*NEVER Openweight champion Hirooki Goto vs. Beer City Bruiser.

*David Finlay and Juice Robinson vs.The Young Bucks.

*Hiromu Takahashi vs. KUSHIDA vs. Flip Gordon.

*Ryusuke Taguchi & Jay Lethal & ROH champion Dalton Castle vs. Best Friends & Jay White.

*Toa Henare & Katsuya Kitamura vs. Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi.

*Cheeseburger & Delirious & Jushin Thunder Liger vs. HIKULEO & The Guerrilas of Destiny.

https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=115671

Edited by classiq.

^^ More on that:

The appearance of Impact World champ Austin Aries on Ring of Honors 16th Anniversary pay-per-view (PPV) on Friday, Mar. 9 led to a lot of people asking what was up between the two companies.

Impact and Ring of Honor (ROH) have had a fraught relationship for years. Things started out well enough, with a talent sharing arrangement which allowed stars like AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels to work for both promotions, but a scandal involving one of ROHs founders resulted in the company then-known as TNA to pull all their talent.

Time passed and there wasnt much outright hostility between the two promotions, although they did compete over talent like Kenny King, who in 2012 was stripped of the ROH Tag Title when he worked Impact after his ROH contract appearance. Despite being promoted together briefly while both promotions were on the Destination America cable network, that was how things stayed... until almost exactly a year ago, when new Impact owners Anthem Entertainment threatened legal action against ROH and its broadcasting partners if Matt and Jeff Hardy used their Broken gimmick on the 15th Anniversary PPV.

The Hardys signing with WWE took ROH out of that mess, but with blossoming business due in part to their relationships with New Japan and Mexicos CMLL, it didnt seem like ROH would be looking to Impact as a partner again any time soon.

But then two-time ROH and current Impact World champ Aries walked into Sams Town to challenge King for the ROH TV title.

An initial report from PWInsider indicated Anthem and Impact management were unaware A-Double was in Vegas. Mike Johnson said that as Aries isnt locked up to Impact, hes free to take other dates, and one of those was for 16th Anniversary.

But after several tweets from Impact co-executive vice president Scott DAmore seemed to indicate the company was not only aware of, but excited about Aries appearance, Johnson posted an update. According to the new report, Impact was aware and supportive, even if theres no deal in place for the two feds to formally partner.

There remain a lot of questions. ROH announcers Colt Cabana and Ian Riccaboni did not refer to the Impact title over Aries shoulder on the PPV broadcast last night, which was unusual. And while Insider indicates DAmore and his Impact management partner Don Callis are on board with this crossover because they believe it can only bring them positive awareness, folks like our own Kyle Decker and Wrestling Observer Radios Dave Meltzer have questioned the optics of having Impacts top guy challenging for ROHs mid-card belt.

Many fans are understandably excited, though. DAmore and Callis have stated their goal of being a talent-friendly org that works with lots of other promotions. Theyre prominently featuring AAA and Lucha Underground stars, among others. ROHs deals with New Japan and CMLL have been crucial to attaining their current position in the North American market. An alliance between all those groups probably still wouldnt challenge WWE, but it would come closer than anythings been this century.

This is clearly a developing story, and theres a lot of interest in it.

Stay tuned.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/2018/3/10/17103970/impact-ring-of-honor-partnership-status-austin-aries-16th-anniversary-new-japan-aaa-cmll