Official ROH Show Discussion

BlackToxic

As noted, Cody Rhodes recently stated on Twitter that he has not signed with any company. Wrestling Inc. has learned from sources close to the situation that Cody has come to terms on a new deal with Ring Of Honor. It's not known how long the length of the deal is.

Cody was a part of the Impact Wrestling tapings last March, but was not at the most recent tapings last week. Under Cody's new deal, he will still be allowed to take outside bookings, work PWG, New Japan and international dates, similar to the deal that The Young Bucks have with the company, however he cannot do television for another U.S. wrestling company. Also like the Young Bucks deal, Cody can still sell merchandise through ProWrestlingTees and handle his own outside bookings while also being under a guaranteed deal.

As noted, Cody told Sports Illustrated earlier this month that his days of working for multiple promotions was coming to an end.

"It's been really fun to cross all the streams, but at this point I do need to find a new home," Rhodes said. "That is going to limit all the distance I cover, which includes the work I've done with companies like Limitless, Defy, and All Pro Wrestling there is even a company in Kolkoska, Michigan where I'm wrestling that is called 'Mr. Chainsaw'. If you see my name on a card and you're a fan, come on out. I'm not sure how much longer it will be until I'm no longer able to roam around."

This is good news for ROH, who have lost a lot of stars since late last year. Adam Cole is expected to sign with WWE when his contract expires this weekend, while Kyle O'Reilly, Steve Corino, Bobby Fish and Donovan Dijak have all left the company recently.

ROH currently has booked Cody chasing the ROH title as an "outsider," which could be why he is denying signing with them.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2017/0427/625670/backstage-news-on-who-cody-rhodes-has-signed-with/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As noted, Adam Cole's ROH contract expired this past weekend. Cole has been with the company on-and-off since 2009.

While there has been a lot of speculation that Cole will be signing with WWE, Dave Meltzer reported on the latest episode of Wrestling Observer Radio that "everybody wants Adam Cole right now."

Meltzer noted that Cole going to WWE is not necessarily a lock, although he does believe that is where Cole will end up. He stated that New Japan Pro Wrestling is interested in signing him as well.

Cole is scheduled to face Hiroshi Tanahashi at ROH's War of the Worlds pay-per-view on May 12th. It was noted that even though Cole's ROH contract has expired, he may still be used for other ROH shows and work independent dates unless he ends up officially signing with WWE.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2017/0503/625842/backstage-news-on-adam-cole-future/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

As talented as Cole is im having trouble seeing him in WWE.

Bascially i can't picture Adam Cole not telling people to suck his dick.

I can. He doesn't do it in ROH or Japan, does he? At least not in the stuff I've seen

As expected, Sinclair Broadcasting this morning announced that a deal is in place for a nearly $4 billion acquisition of Tribune Media. The purchase will give the parent company of Ring of Honor (ROH) stations in more major markets, including New York and Los Angeles, and another national cable network in WGN America.

Following their existing model, Sinclair would add ROH TV to the line-up of syndicated shows on each of their new channels once the deal is finalized. Whether it will lead to a national cable show, or any kind of investment in production and talent upgrades for Ring of Honor tapings and events, is unclear.

[Press release is in the source link below.]

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2017/5/8/15579124/ring-of-honor-parent-company-sinclair-broadcasting-announces-purchase-tribune-media-wgn-new-markets

I could be wrong, but if WGN America was going to air ROH, ROH would have to bring in a mainstream name in order to convince mainstream America to watch ROH Wrestling on a National scale. I have no clue who that is going to be.

Edited by GDAWG

I could be wrong, but if WGN America was going to air ROH, ROH would have to bring in a mainstream name in order to convince mainstream America to watch ROH Wrestling on a National scale. I have no clue who that is going to be.

That's an old school way of looking at the business and it isn't doing ROH a bit of good because even when someone does start to create some buzz, they just get poached. It'd be really cool if they could get CM Punk, Batista, and Sting on ROH, but once they're gone ROH is back to square one. They need to focus on making their product stand out as a whole, because right now they're just another wrestling show, but with less famous wrestlers that keep leaving.

Lucha Underground is doing well because they don't rely on big names to draw. The stories and the whole presentation are the draw. Even if they lost Pentagon, Ricochet, and Cage it wouldn't mean much because there will still be wacky storylines and crazy hardcore matches every week. ECW was similar in that they never had to rely on household names or even technically sound wrestlers because they found other ways to make it interesting. I think you're more likely to get the average person to tune in if you have a hook or gimmick besides "this guy used to be in WWE".

Current Ring of Honor star Jay Lethal was recently interviewed by The Post and Courier and discussed a number of topics. Most notably were why he was not in WWE, as well as his relationship with Ric Flair.

Lethal is widely known as one of the best professional wrestlers in the world to have never stepped foot in a WWE ring. Many have wondered if this will ever happen, or why it has not occurred already.

Its funny. When I got into the wrestling business, all I wanted to do was wrestle for WWE, said Lethal, whose real name is Jamar Shipman. That was a major goal for everyone from my generation. Im not saying thats something that I would not want to do, but along the way I sort of re-prioritized some things.

With that said, if I never got to work for WWE, I wouldnt be too upset. I wouldnt feel that my career wasnt complete. I think that Ive made it. And thats something that a lot of wrestlers struggle with.

One of Lethals greatest career moments was when he had the opportunity to impersonate Ric Flair in front of him during a promo, while they worked together in TNA. Lethal says that it was one of the highlights of his career.

It definitely was a highlight of my career especially at that point. Even today I remember being so nervous because at the time that company (TNA) had never given me the chance to cut a promo in the ring before. Now the first chance I get to do it Ive got to go in there with Ric Flair. Are you kidding?

I hit him with one of his lines that he never really used that much. But he did use it way back when. Not many people even remember the line because it wasnt a famous Ric Flair line. His line was Jumping on is a lot easier than jumping off. When I said that, you should have seen his eyes light up. I could tell I caught him off guard for a second, and all he could say was Wow!

Lethal also discusses impersonating Macho Man Randy Savage, his future in ROH and more.

https://wrestlingrumors.net/jay-lethal-discusses-not-wwe/

Ring of Honor has confirmed the main event for this Friday nights War of the Worlds IPPV, which will be broadcast live from the iconic Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City. It will see the Fallen Angel Christopher Daniels putting his ROH World Championship on the line against two-time champion Jay Lethal and the American Nightmare Cody Rhodes in what is sure to be an epic triple threat match.

War of the Worlds is shaping up to be an incredible night of action, as the New Japan Pro Wrestling roster joins the stars of Ring of Honor with all four championships on the line, Hiroshi Tanahashi taking on Adam Cole, and more! Below is the final match card for the show. You can watch the event via The FITE App, which can be downloaded free from The Apple App Store and Google Play at this link: http://www.fite.tv/wrestlezone.

ROH War of the Worlds

May 12, 2017

New York, NY

ROH World Championship

Christopher Daniels © vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Jay Lethal

ROH World TV Championship

Marty Scurll © vs. Matt Sydal

ROH World Tag Team Championship

The Young Bucks © vs. Tetsuya Naito & Bushi

ROH 6-Man Tag Team Championship

Bully Ray & The Briscoes © vs. Hirooki Goto & Roppongi Vice

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Adam Cole

Will Ospreay vs. Jay White

War Machine (Hanson & Rowe) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (EVIL & SANADA) vs. Search & Destroy (Chris Sabin & Jonathan Gresham)

Kazarian vs. Hangman Page

KUSHIDA vs. Dalton Castle vs. Bobby Fish vs. Silas Young

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/838441-ring-of-honor-war-of-the-worlds-main-event-confirmed-final-match-card-for-fridays-ippv-feat-4-title-matches-tanahashi-vs-adam-cole-more

ROH news and notes (WOTW spoilers):

Matt Sydal's loss to ROH TV champion Marty Scurll last night was Sydal's final appearance for Ring of Honor. Sydal is signing with Impact Wrestling and will not be working tomorrow's ROH TV taping in Philadelphia. Last night was it for him in ROH.

Adam Cole's final scheduled appearance for ROH is in Philadelphia tomorrow but the door is open for him to work additional dates, similar to how Bobby Fish has continued working for the company since his deal expired.

As noted last night, Simon Grimm aka the former Simon Gotch, was backstage at the PPV.

ROH and New Japan officials had meetings regarding the continuation of their working agreement this week.

Jay Lethal was announced as working the 7/2 and 7/2 New Japan G1 Special events in Long Beach, California.

The next date at the Hammerstein Ballroom is slated to be the Final Battle PPV in December. We have not confirmed the date yet.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=109585

Adam "Hangman" Page spoke to Channel Guide Magazine on a number of wrestling topics, one is about how he came up with the origin of this gimmick.

It should be noted he used to be a teacher and is currently working with New Japan Pro Wrestling.

On the origin of the "Hangman" gimmick

"I knew Adam Cole was joining Bullet Club followed by myself. We both would have the same first name and four letter last names, as well as starting to show up frequently in Japan in Bullet Club. So to avoid confusion, I knew I wanted to change up my name. I also knew my character in Bullet Club would have to be a little bit different because in my time in Ring of Honor I hadn't been a very playful or fun character by any means. Since I was more of a serious character I kind of adopted the noose from Luke Gallows and put my own spin on it."

For those curious about his teacher life, he does talk about that as well.

"With one phone call I was told I would be in Bullet Club and I was going to Japan for three weeks, then continually after that. It was pretty cool and life-changing. At the time I was a high school teacher. I taught graphic design, multimedia and journalism. I would take sick days and wrestle on the weekends. At that point I knew if I was doing three week tours of Japan I couldn't keep teaching because I couldn't be "sick" that long. I could also afford not to teach anymore because I would be more in-demand so to speak. I quit teaching and became a full-time wrestler. That more than anything in my whole career changed my life."

https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/news/46487/Adam-Hangman-Page-Reveals-How-He-Came-Up-With/

That's all folks! (ROH TV spoilers)

Former three-time ROH World Champion Adam Cole wrestled his last matches for ROH at last night's ROH television tapings. Wrestling Inc. reader Michael Hottle sent us this transcript of Cole's farewell after last night's taping:

"Thank you Adam", "Please Don't Go" and "Speech" chants filled The 2300 Arena as Cole asked, "Who's ready for story time with Adam Cole baybay?" A "We will miss you" rang out. Cole then delivered his farewell address to the ROH crowd.

"I fell in love with pro wrestling at the young age of nine years old and I was infatuated with guys like 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin and The Rock and all the countless superstars that I saw," Cole said. "But what really made me decide that I wanted to be a professional wrestler was Ring of Honor. [applause]

"I've said this countless times and it's the truth, this place - not just the locker room, not just the camera men, not just the referees, but all of you, we are one big, giant family. The love and respect that each and every one of you have shown me is the reason I can stand before you here today nine years a pro wrestler, three times a world champion traveling the globe because you guys thought I was good enough. No matter what happens going forward, I just want each and every one of you to know that I deeply love you and Ring of Honor will always be my home. And I'll end it with this, since she's here, Mom... Happy Mother's Day!"

Cole's music hit as the crowd applauded. Cole held up his index finger indicating "one more time". Cole bent down and throwed 'em up as the crowd let out a thunderous, "ADAM COLE BAYBAY!!!" The crowd chanted "Thank you Adam" as he departed.

You can check out video of his farewell below:

https://twitter.com/mychael616/status/864032744120217600

https://twitter.com/mychael616/status/864032954284208129

http://wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2017/0515/626174/adam-cole-full-roh-farewell-speech-videos/

Adam Cole recently spoke with Busted Open Radio (via wrestlinginc.com), here are the highlights

Where Does He See Himself in a Year?: Yeah, again, Ill explain it as best I can because the truth of the matter is, as both as you guys know its almost impossible to predict whatll happen. But for me, heres the situation Im in, for the first time in seven years Im a free agent. This is the first time in a really long time I have not been signed to Ring Of Honor whatsoever. So for me at 27-years-old, I for the first time really want to just branch out and see what exactly is available and what is being offered to me. I havent made a decision whether or not Im staying, I havent made a decision on whether or not Im leaving, I havent had those conversations yet. But for me, I feel like if I dont at least explore or check out the possibility or option of whats out there, Im always going to wonder. So thats where I stand right now. Its nerve racking because so much of this I cant control. So much of pro wrestling you cant control. But at the same time, Im not denying its not an exciting time for me as well. I know that some options and some availability is a possibility for me, so I think it creates an interesting time for the Adam Cole brand.

Is There a Place He Wants To Be?: No. Because again, the factors are so different for me. I love, love Ring Of Honor. Ive been here for a really long time. I wouldnt be where Im at if it werent for Ring Of Honor, but again I dont know whats out there. I dont know if something else will make me happier. I dont know if something else would put me in a situation where I would rather be there. Again, too many unknown factors with me right now. Too many.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/adam-cole-on-free-agency-i-want-to-see-whats-out-there/