Official ROH Show Discussion

BlackToxic

Former TNA Knockout Taeler Hendrix has announced her departure from Ring of Honor. Hendrix made the jump from TNA to ROH in 2015 where she joined the House of Truth stable.

She also worked as a valet for then ROH Champion Jay Lethal and in the ROHs Women of Honor division.

https://twitter.com/Taeler_Hendrix/status/849331395545767940

http://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/news/45965/Taeler-Hendrix-Announces-Departure-From-Ring-Of-Honor/

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Bobby Fish will be working as an ROH regular going forward, but he’s reluctant to sign a new deal because that would lock him up from going to WWE. He will be active as far as taking indie dates and may even work NJPW again.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/bobby-fish-to-stay-an-roh-regular/

Total Wrestling Magazine has an interview with current Ring of Honor TV champion, Marty Scurll as he talks about his decision to join ROH, his thoughts on the WWE UK tournament and coping with the pressures of being a professional wrestler.

On coping with the pressures of being a professional wrestler:

The pressure is what I put on myself. Its not only my full time job, its my purpose in life. Its why I was put on this world. I often joke to many people when they ask if I can come and do something sorry guys, the wrestling world needs me. I have a responsibility now to the people who have invested in my brand or fans of mine who have an expectation that spend their money, they get their moneys worth.

Ive had many, many times when fans have written to me about how The Villain character resonates with them and theyve invested their time and emotions into the character where previously they may have been struggling with things like anxiety or depression, or whatever, they can use me as a platform, whether that be using my matches or promos, so they can forget about their worries.

On what the deciding factor was in signing for Ring of Honor:

Ive been wrestling for a long time, it was a natural time and the time was right to go. I knew I could come into ROH with a lot of steam, I didnt want to come in as a nobody or lower down the card. I knew for me, a big part of my career needed to have that platform to display my body of work. I think ROH has that really big platform where my work will be cemented for a very long time. I mean when you look at the 15 year history of the company, ROH has made its dent in the wrestling business and will always be remembered. Guys that I mentioned before like Danielson, Joe, and Nigel McGuinness the matches and their work has been cemented and they left a legacy in this company. Thats important for me, its the reason why I mention Long live the villain I want my character, body of work to live long after Im not on this world. Thats my attitude towards wrestling, I want to be remembered.

On the WWE UK tournament and the company wanting to do more in the UK:

The wrestling scene in the UK is doing better than it has in a long time so it makes sense that WWE want to be involved and want to run big shows and use UK talent, because UK talent is some of, if not the best talent in the world. It comes as no surprise to me. The guys that are involved are really good friends of mine and Id like to think that everything can go well for them. WWE are lucky to have talents like them and I hope it goes well.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/825891-marty-scurll-on-deciding-to-sign-with-roh-the-wwe-uk-tournament-and-network-show-pressures-of-being-a-wrestler

Jonathan Gresham has accomplished more before the age of 30 than most achieve in their career. The Atlanta, GA native first appeared on Ring of Honor Wrestling in the 2011 Top Prospect Tournament and since then has wrestled in 12 countries in four continents, proving to be one of the premier technical wrestlers in the world.

It is with great excitement that Ring of Honor Wrestling announces that Jonathan Gresham has officially signed a full-time contract and will be in action in Baltimore this Saturday, April 8!

Gresham has competed in ROH on a freelance basis, picking up wins in singles and tag team competition in between his extensive international travel schedule. With a repitoire of hundreds of submission moves, including his patented Octopus Stretch, Gresham has the ability to defeat opponents of any size or experience level.

At age 29 with a decade of experience under his belt, Gresham is already one of the planet's best grapplers with even greater potential. Gresham has impressed ROH fans so much in his appearances that he has been one of the most in-demand stars for fans of the Best Wrestling on the Planet. Come see Gresham compete LIVE this Saturday in Baltimore!

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/roh-signs-jonathan-gresham?utm_content=buffer6886d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Ring of Honor COO Joe Koff recently spoke with The Baltimore Sun and below are some interview highlights:

The Hardys quick visit with Ring of Honor:

It was flattering and humbling that they wanted to be part of the promotion, especially in the way that they were. I have a ton of respect, not only for the Hardys, but also the Young Bucks, and everyone else who wrestles on our roster. They understand that we wrestle for the fans and its still about bringing an experience to the fans they cant get elsewhere, and doing it in a surprising nature. One of the things that Ring of Honor does really well, and I hope to always get better at it, is the element of surprise when it comes to our shows. In this internet world, everyone is second-guessing, everyone thinks they know the answer. To be able to still surprise the way we do is really something, and it says a lot about the organization and our ability to keep our business inside the organization. Thats something to be proud of.

WWE buying out Ring of Honor:

It was not a story. It was not a story when it came out. I think people want to make a story out of nothing. Im very open in conversations with very many different wrestling promotions. And I think sometimes because I dont share a lot of stuff, were very private about what we do. I think it raises speculation. I think this thing with the WWE really started because we were in conversations about content for Kevin Owens DVD. There was a lot of back and forth between the two companies. I think that was the seed that drove that story.

Bully Ray joining the company:

Weve become a destination for a lot of people who want to have some of the artistic flexibilities, and not wrestle as many nights a week as other promotions do. We have a distribution, were national in scope. Were able to compensate competitively. I think also, our locker room and our culture contributes to it. For Bully Ray to want to be part of it, or the Hardys to come in for a short period of time, it comes back to being a big compliment for the organization. There are lots of people who want to come in to Ring of Honor, and I dont blame them; its a wonderful place to wrestle. Not everybody is going to get into ROH. It requires a certain understanding of the brand. Its more about the brand than the person. The person becomes the brand, and represents the brand. If you look at our past champions, they exemplified that brand and that style. The current roster exemplify the brand in that style. Its all about wrestling the Ring of Honor brand. I think Bully wanted to be part of that, and I dont blame him.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/826579-ring-of-honor-coo-joe-koff-talks-the-hardys-quick-run-in-roh-the-non-story-of-wwe-buying-out-roh-bully-ray-in-the-company-and-more

It should come as no surprise if youve been following the news, but it appears that Lio Rush finished up with Ring of Honor over the weekend. He posted the following on Twitter..

https://twitter.com/itsLioRush/status/850765985900580865

https://twitter.com/itsLioRush/status/851137148354953216

It had been reported that he would not be re-signing with ROH, and that there was interest in Rush from WWE. WWNLive then announced in March that Rush would be returning to work shows for then. Over WrestliMania weekend, Rush worked EVOLVE 80 and EVOLVE 81, Joey Janelas Spring Break, CZW Best of the Best, Wrestling Revolvers Pancakes & Piledrivers, and the annual WrestleCon Supershow.

Rush will also replace Ricochet in the six-man min event of ScrapperMania III, which will air on FloSlam this weekend.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/lio-rush-says-goodbye-to-ring-of-honor/

I like Gresham, but why not sign Joey Janela? Years ago I thought Janela was the young talent that stood out the most in CZW when people were talking about Lio Rush.

I don't get it. ROH has always had this problem. I said the same thing about Jon Moxley years ago. It's not like they didn't know what he was capable of. He was already one of the hottest acts out there and he was a free agent. Why weren't they bending over backwards to sign the guy? The same thing goes for Brian Cage before he was in LU. The list goes on and on.

Joey Janella is another one of those guys that I'm looking around like, "um, hello!? Does nobody else see this guy!?"

I'm not sure these days it's that ROH don't want to sign people but more people not wanting to sign for them. Its evidently not "the place to be" anymore, as evident by some of the names that have left or gone for a WWN contact instead in recent times.

I like Gresham but it just feels a little consolation prize to me after O'Reilly/Rush/Dijak not resigning and Keith Lee choosing WWN instead, think they'd have carried on booking him as and when had they not been turned down by other talent recently

Edited by cuey82

I'm not sure these days it's that ROH don't want to sign people but more people not wanting to sign for them. Its evidently not "the place to be" anymore, as evident by some of the names that have left or gone for a WWN contact instead in recent times.

If the money was good people would still sine for them, and they have the money to offer guys good contracts.

16-time world heavyweight championship Ric Flair was featured this week in an interview with Sports Illustrated and covered many topics.

One topic that has sparked some additional headlines is the fact that the Nature Boy said his favorite talent outside of WWE is Ring of Honor's Jay Lethal, I do wish that Jay Lethal was in WWE. Hes an incredibly nice guy, and hes a good talent, so I dont know why Jay never made it to WWE.

http://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/news/46105/Ric-Flair-Reveals-What-Wrestler-Should-Join-WWE/

Ring of Honor announced today that Hirooki Goto will officially be a part of the 2017 ROH/NJPW War of the Worlds Tour. The tour includes the following dates

* Sunday May 7 Toronto, ON, Ted Reeve Arena

* Wednesday May 10 Dearborn, MI Ford Community Center

* Friday May 12 New York, NY The Manhattan Centers Hammerstein Ballroom (ON PPV)

* Sunday May 14 Philadelphia, PA 2300 Arena

The following talent is also set for the tour

* ROH WORLD CHAMPION Christopher Daniels

* ROH WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION Marty Scurll

* ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson)

* ROH WORLD 6-MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS Bully Ray, Mark & Jay Briscoe

* New Japans IWGP INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION Tetsuya Naito

* New Japans NEVER OPENWEIGHT CHAMPION Hirooki Goto

* New Japans KUSHIDA

* New Japans EVIL

* Cody

* Will Ospreay

* Dalton Castle

* Jay Lethal

http://411wrestling.com/wrestling/hirooki-goto-set-for-the-rohnjpw-war-of-the-worlds-tour/

Ring of Honor announced the main event of the 5/7 Toronto stop in their combined War of the Worlds tour with New Japan Pro Wrestling will see Kenny Omega and The Young Bucks vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, ROH champion Chris Daniels and Kazarian. So Tanahashi has been added to the tour. One would assume Omega has as well, but that has not been confirmed beyond the Toronto date.

Previously announced thus far for the tour are IWGP Intercontinental champion Tetsuya Naito, NEVER Openweight champion Hirooki Goto, former IWGP Junior Heavyweight champion KUSHIDA, Gedo, BUSHI (making his United States/Canada debut), SANADA and EVIL.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=109178

As noted, former WWE and TNA star Ken Anderson will be making his official Ring of Honor debut this Saturday, April 28 at the Eisenhower Center in Hopkins, Minnesota at the Masters of the Craft event. Anderson will face Marty Scurll in an ROH TV Title match, and below is the official press release announcing Andersons debut:

As the list of defeated challengers grows and grows, the louder The Villain Marty Scurll gets. The self-described Reign of Wickedness began in London in just his third match during his first weekend in ROH. Since then Scurll has defeated Will Ospreay, Dragon Lee, Jonathan Gresham, Juice Robinson, Donovan Dijak, Sonjay Dutt, Kenny King, and former three-time ROH World Champion Adam Cole in front of the largest crowd in ROH history at Supercard of Honor XI!

But as the, admittedly, fighting champion continues to get louder and louder about his successes, world-class challengers from around the world line up to take their best shot at The Villain. And a former world champion has his eyes set on Scurll at Masters of the Craft!

Ken Anderson makes his ROH debut in Hopkins, MN and has a chance to capture championship gold on his very first night! Scurll, and champions before him like Jay Lethal, Tomohiro Ishii, and Bobby Fish before him have elevated the ROH World Television Championship to the level of the ROH World Championship and Anderson looks for an opportunity to add his name to this storied lineage.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/831571-official-press-release-for-ken-andersons-ring-of-honor-debut

Anderson is such shit. Literally the only thing I ever liked about him, was back in WWE when his name was still Ken Kennedy, because that redundancy was amazing for a heel. Moving on as Ken Anderson and trying to keep doing the same thing with the Anderson name was just garbage. And he's always been mediocre as a performer. Injury prone as well.

Ring of Honor officials have announced three blockbuster match ups for to add to their War of the Worlds card in New York City. So far we have been told by ROH officials that "The American Nightmare" Cody will be involved in the Triple Threat Ring Of Honor World Championship match in the main event. They have confirmed three more matches for the show.

The ROH World Championship is not the only belt that will be defended in New York City's Hammerstein Ballroom. The Ring of Honor Television Championship will be defended by TV Title holder "The Villain" Marty Scurll. He will be defending against the high flying Matt Sydal, who just made his return to Impact Wrestling this past week.

The Ring of Honor Tag Team Champions: The Young Bucks have also had their challengers confirmed for the NYC show. They will be taking on Los Ingobernables de Japon members Tetsuya Naito and BUSHI. We're bound to see a war break out between the Bullet Club and the LIJ in Manhattan.

The last match confirmed by ROH officials today is a singles match between "The Ace of New Japan" Hiroshi Tanahashi and former 3 time Ring Of Honor World Champion Adam Cole. There is a lot of speculation that this will be Cole's final match in Ring of Honor.

https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/news/46245/Ring-Of-Honor-Confirms-Three-HUGE-Matches-for-War/

Adam Cole spoke with ESPN for a new interview ahead of his contract with ROH expiring on May 1st. Some highlights are below:

On his Ring of Honor run: For me, Ive been very lucky because of my relationship with Ring of Honor. Im very close with everyone there, and that includes the guys that negotiate the contracts. Literally my whole career, the process for me is we go back and forth a little bit. Ring of Honor always has a great general idea of what they think I need, and generally we agree pretty quickly on what I want to do.

On his future: For me, which a lot of people ask this, I still havent made a decision on what Im doing. This is the first time Im going to check and see the interests of other companies and see where everyone else stands. Since 2010, Ive been just in Ring of Honor this entire time and never even considered the options of anything else. Im gonna kind of look out and see what everyone else has going on and what else is out there and then kind of play it from there. Well see as far as negotiating any type of contracts, whether that be with Ring of Honor or with another company.

On establishing his own brand: Theres so many talented, good independent wrestlers on the scene today. But being able to stick out and have a brand or a catchphrase or something that when someone does something, you know that its yours. Like, Adam Cole Bay Bay is my thing. Everyone knows that if anyone would stick their hands up and yell their name with Bay Bay at the end, they would feel like thats my thing. Or the Young Bucks superkick party. That is something I think that people focus its not that they should lose focus on the matches that theyre having and the promos that theyre cutting but they should put just as much effort into establishing or creating even more things for their brand that could help them stick out and be different.

On his feud with Kenny Omega: The whole story with myself and Kenny is, the Young Bucks describe it perfectly they say, Its two alpha males who just dont see eye to eye. Thats exactly how we feel. I feel like I lead the charge for Bullet Club in the States. Theres no question Im not an idiot Kenny leads the charge for Bullet Club in Japan. Obviously, when we are together, its very rare. When we are, we dont always agree or see eye to eye. As far as Im concerned, I think you could expect or hopefully get to see a match with myself and Kenny very, very soon. We gotta have a friendly competition match where we could get this out of our system. We need to fight it out like brothers. Hopefully, very soon.

On possibly signing with WWE: I would want to [start in NXT] because, first of all, Im a fan of NXT. I think the brand is cool. I think the Takeover shows are awesome. I think the fans are great. I love the roster of guys. I think its something thats going to be looked at as a very special time in pro wrestling, so I want to be a part of it. Secondly, of course in a perfect world if I went to NXT, I wouldnt want to be there forever; but I like the idea of going there and performing there and getting accustomed to the WWE audience and them getting accustomed to me and then eventually making the move to Raw or Smackdown. I think itd be a lot of fun, and I think I would really enjoy working in front of that audience.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/adam-cole-hasnt-made-a-decision-on-next-career-step/