Official ROH Show Discussion

BlackToxic

Guest Fight Me.

Briscoes, pls.

Bucks can *Censored* off for a while.

I'd imagine they're gonna hold onto the titles until they face The Hardys the night before Mania. Unless they're gonna put the Hardys over, in which case, yeah dropping it to the Briscoes would be best.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Total Wrestling Magazine has an interview with Ring of Honor champion Adam Cole as he talks about responsibilities of being champion, being leader of Bullet Club and his future. Below are some interview highlights:

On the responsibilities of being champion:

When I am a guy whos potentially being put in a position to carry the ball and be the world champion I focus a lot of my energy on being a guy that people talk about more than anyone after the show is over. I do everything I can in my matches, promos to really kind of stick out from the crowd when I am in the process of chasing that championship.

When I am champion I feel the need to focus more than ever on being the guy who elevates and makes whoever I face really shine and stick out because when you have that role as champion all eyes are on you. Fortunately when youre in that position with guys who are challenging for that championship, a lot of peoples most watched match is that contest to see if the challenger can hang with the champion. So theres a lot of pressure there. I focus hard on making my opponent look good. When youre in that championship role youre in there to be like a Ric Flair or Shawn Michaels, make your opponent look as good as can be.

On being the leader of the Bullet Club:

Its been awesome, its safe to say Bullet Club has been the most impactful faction in the past decade, everyone talks about it, its transcended pop culture, you see signs of it in WWE and over the world. The Bullet Club t-shirts are everywhere. I think the reason Bullet Club has been able to stay as constant and relevant as it has is because the group is constantly evolving and adding new talent just to make the sure group moved forward. A position opened up for me when AJ, Gallows and Anderson left, the group knew they needed some new blood and I happened to be the guy that got the call, its really cool to be a part of this group and the audience are so into it. When I retire Ill look back fondly on the Bullet Club and the group of guys Ive been associated with.

On his future and if WWE is a possibility:

I never say never. If I were to sit here and tell you that I dont want a WrestleMania moment someday, I would 100% be lying to you. Of course, someday I would like and see that for myself. Its a matter of focusing on whats right in front of me and realizing how little control I really do have. Because as much as I would like to sit and explain to you where Ill be in a year, I really dont know. That isnt up to me.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/792089-adam-cole-on-his-future-and-if-wwe-is-a-possibility-the-responsibilities-of-being-roh-champion-being-the-leader-of-bullet-club-more

At the present time, I would definitely consider Omega to be the leader of Bullet Club. I mean...they've always had a very loose structure, where there is no real "leader"...but he's the most qualified guy. That makes him the leader by proxy, tbh. One could argue that Hogan wasn't the leader of the nWo, or HHH wasn't the leader of DX...people are always going to pull the "everyone is equal" card when it comes to stables...but, really...Omega is the leader of the current group. They've done a good job of giving the different branches of BC their own thing. Omega and the Bucks look and act independently to G.O.D...and they look and act independently from Yujiro Takahashi, Paige, and Fale...but at the end of the day, it's all one umbrella stable, and Omega is the top guy.

As noted, Kyle O'Reilly lost the ROH Championship to Adam Cole at Wrestle Kingdom 11 last week. O'Reilly's contract with ROH had expired before the show, and Dave Meltzer reported in the latest issue of The Wrestling Observer Newsletter that ROH officials expect him to leave for WWE. They also expect Ray Rowe to be heading to WWE.

We noted last week that Jay Lethal revealed in an interview with ComicBook.com that he signed a new two-year deal with ROH. Meltzer noted that Bobby Fish, Hangman Page and Christopher Daniels also signed new contracts with ROH. Fish had an offer from WWE, but decided to stay with ROH.

Meltzer also wrote that ROH Champion Adam Cole is believed to be heading to WWE in May, however cannot negotiate with them until May 1st.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2017/0110/621066/backstage-news-on-roh-talents-leaving-for-wwe/

Lethal is probably the guy who I want to go to WWE more than anyone else right now...including Omega. I think Lethal has done great things in ROH...done great things for ROH...but I also think he's outgrown ROH. Kinda feel like he's missing the boat on staying with ROH and not going to WWE right now. Seems perfectly suited for him atm.

Fomer ROH champion Kyle O'Reilly has been removed from the Ring of Honor roster on the ROH website, which certainly sends tells the tale as to whether the company expects him back anytime soon.

As we noted yesterday, O'Reilly has been pulled from this weekend's Atlanta TV taping and we we are told he is exploring his future options.

O'Reilly won the ROH title at the Final Battle PPV, defeating Adam Cole, dropping it back to Cole at the 1/4 Wrestle Kingdom event in Tokyo, Japan.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=107033

Ring Of Honor posted the following interview with Christopher Daniels; you can read a few excerpts below:

Christopher Daniels comments on his mindset before entering the Decade of Excellence tournament, knowing the winner will get a shot at the ROH World Title:

Ive been part of a team with Frankie for so long that the idea of getting an opportunity for the World Championship is new to me again. I always said that if I got the opportunity to wrestle for the World Title, I would take it, but I didnt necessarily think that opportunity would arise. I put so much effort into The Addiction being World Tag Team Champions that Ive had to rethink my game. Ive had to get back to the idea of just depending on myself in the ring, so its been a bit of an acclimation process.

Daniels on whether or not he needs a ROH World Championship reign to put a stamp on his career:

I feel like Ive done enough in my career where people will respect my contributions, so I dont know if I need the world championship, but I certainly do want it. I put the idea of being world champion aside for a while in concentrating on the tag team with Frankie. I do have that pang of regrets sometimes. I feel like Im being a little selfish, but at the same time, were all a little selfish when it comes to being World Champion. Im sure Frankie would feel the same way.

Daniels comments on why he and Kazarian came to Jay Lethals rescue at Final Battle:

At this point in my career, I feel like a proud parent when it comes to this company. I say that because of the amount of blood Ive shed in a Ring of Honor ring, the amount of time Ive put in to try to make Ring of Honor stand out as the best wrestling on the planet. I saw a situation where somebody was taking advantage of Ring of Honors open-door policy to guys that want to prove theyre the best in the world. I saw Cody taking advantage of that open-door policy and spitting in the face of what Jay Lethal has done for Ring of Honor and what this company has done for pro wrestling. Cody is someone I respect, or I did respect. Im still at odds about how I feel about Cody, but I certainly wasnt going to let him continue to spit in the face of Ring of Honor and spit in the face of Jay Lethal after Lethal went in there with his hands up, his head high and wrestled a great match. For Cody to win the way he did and then add insult to injury, Frankie and I werent comfortable watching that happen. Jay, Frankie and I have known each other for a long time, and we may not always see eye to eye with Jay, but we certainly respect him and what hes done for this company and professional wrestling.

Daniels comments on if hes thought about a post-wrestling life:

I havent given any concrete thought to it. I dont know if I see it yet from where Im at, but I know its closer now than its ever been. Its still hard to put a date on it or say, Oh, Ive got two years or six months or five years. I certainly feel some of the matches a lot more than I did even three years ago. But at the same time, I know Im one win away from being a champion again. If Frankie and I are given the opportunity, I feel like we can be World Tag Team Champions. And now with the Decade of Excellence tournament final, I could get an opportunity to be world champion finally after 15 years of Ring of Honors existence and 24 years of being in this business. This could be my shot, and so when things like this happen, its hard to say, Oh well, Im only going to do this another year or two years. This opportunity clouds the finish line for me.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/793273-christopher-daniels-comments-on-roh-decade-of-excellence-tournament-backing-up-jay-lethal-if-hes-thought-about-life-after-wrestling

According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, BJ Whitmer has signed a new deal with Ring of Honor He had talks with WWE about coming in as a trainer. Several talents who saw contracts expire at the end of 2016 will be working on per appearance deals for now.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/bj-whitmer-signs-a-new-roh-deal/

Josh Barnett of USA Today has a new interview with ROH World Champion Adam Cole, who was promoting this Saturday's ROH television taping in Atlanta. Below are some highlights:

If he will sign with WWE when his ROH contract expires at the end of April:

"It's the same thing that has been the case throughout the process and throughout the journey when I've been asked, what are you going to do? I've been asked more since winning the title at Wrestle Kingdom and becoming Ring of Honor champion for the third time. There are a lot of possibilities. I don't know what I'm going to do.

"My focus is on having as good a run as possible with this title and my focus is on going over to New Japan Pro Wrestling. There are so many things that can change over the course of four months. I haven't really thought about it too much. There's still a decent amount of time for me to make my decision."

Kenny [Omega] said he was "stepping away from New Japan." Then John Cena posted photos of Kenny on Instagram. The intrigue continues. What do you think any of that means?

"I'm not too sure what it means. It could mean anything. Here's what I know: Kenny Omega is really smart and really talented and he's taking advantage of the opportunities available to him as would anyone else. He's created a lot of cool buzz. As far as what it means for his future, that's something only Kenny Omega knows, and that's the truth."

Cole also discussed why he signed a contract extension with ROH, Kyle O'Reilly being WWE bound, Cody Rhodes joining the Bullet Club and more. You can check out the full interview by clicking here: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/01/adam-cole-wwe

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2017/0113/621182/adam-cole-on-if-he-will-sign-with-wwe-after-roh-contract-expires/

Adam "Hangman" Page and ring announcer Bobby Cruise have both come to terms with Ring of Honor and have signed new deals.

Donovan Dijak appears to be finishing up here as he's not currently scheduled for anything beyond the February TV taping in Pittsburgh (although one source noted that could change). That may be a by-product of WWE interest as the word that has been making the rounds the last two weeks is that WWE isn't comfortable offering anyone who was under a ROH deal an offer until they are 60 days out of their ROH deal expiring, obviously because they don't want to be accused of contract tampering. So, it's a case of talents now having to give notice to ROH, then wait a few months while working the indy scene to see if they will get a WWE offer. That likely explains why Kyle O'Reilly disappeared after his contract expired on 12/31.

As we noted last week, Keith Lee signed with WWNLive while having a ROH deal on the table. We are told that Lee and former tag team partner Shane Taylor were each offered contracts at the same time. Taylor signed immediately while Lee told ROH that he had other offers on the table. He informed ROH that he was going to sign with WWN over the weekend at the Atlanta TV taping and ROH told him they would finish him out in Texas against the Briscoes, obviously with the idea of closing the storyline out and putting The Briscoes over. Lee announced he was signing with WWN the next day and there's no clearcut answer to whether he'll actually work his final dates with the company.

Since we have gotten a few emails asking about this, ROH's Greg Gilleland, not booker Hunter Johnston is the point person responsible for handling the ROH contracts and getting them signed. Johnston is the booker and is behind the creative direction but Gilliand is responsible for all the major business decisions.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=107213

io6XcHO.jpg

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/its-official-young-bucks-will-face-matt-and-jeff-hardy-supercard-honor?utm_content=buffer7d8d0&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Edited by classiq.

Ring of Honor has announced all eight stars for this years Top Prospect Tournament, which kicks off on February 11th at the Steel City Excellence television taping in Pittsburgh.

The Top Prospect Tournament has been an annual event since 2011, and has developed some of the biggest stars in modern ROH times, with past winners including current TNA star Mike Bennett, Matt Taven, Hanson, Donovan Dijak and most recently, Lio Rush. It has also given us our first look at names like Adam Cole, Kyle OReilly, Michael Elgin, Grizzly Redwood, Silas Young, Adam Page, ACH, Dalton Castle, and more.

Here is the list of this years competitors:

Josh The Goods Woods: A relative newcomer to the wrestling world, Woods is a former WWE developmental star who has a background in MMA. He is a world class amateur wrestler, and a four-time All-American from the University of Central Florida.

Raphael Big Brother King: Ring of Honor is putting over Kings size and athleticism, at 65″ and around 245 pounds. He is married to independent wrestler Devyn Nicole.

The Pain Train Preston Quinn: PQ is and old school throwback, and ROH notes Arn Anderson, Bobby Eaton and The Masked Superstar as inspiration. At 40-years-old he is the longest veteran in this years tournament, wrestling since 1996.

Curt The Lone Star Stallion: Stallion may be the most well-known name for modern indie fans in this years tournament. He worked a number of dates for ROH as an enhancement talent in 2015, and has wrestled for IWA Mid-South, Pro Wrestling Revolver, and was trained by former ROH Champion and IWGP Intercontinental Champion Michael Elgin.

Hybrid Sean Carr: The Hybrid was the first name announced for this years tournament, and hails from Binghamton, NY. He has a background in MMA and was added to the list for this years event after a recent tryout.

Kingpin Brian Milonas: The Kingpin is an imposing figure at 400 pounds and 64″. He has been wrestling for 15 years, and was trained by the great Killer Kowalski.

The Southern Savior John Skyler: Skyler is the protege of CW Anderson and Steve Corino. He has wrestled huge names like Kevin Owens, Michael Elgin and Kyle OReilly at independent shows over the years, and this will be his first opportunity to take his game up a notch in a Ring of Honor ring.

The Heir Apparent Chris LeRusso: A 10-year veteran who will be one of the definite heels of this years tournament, and has worked for ROH in the past. They reference former ROH greats like CM Punk, Nigel McGuiness, Bryan Danielson and Davey Richards as inspirations.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/799021-ring-of-honor-announces-all-8-competitors-for-this-years-top-prospect-tournaments-curt-stallion-former-mma-name-400-pound-star-more

I think John Skyler deserves a more fitting introduction than being in a "top prospect" tournament, he should be on the main roster ahead of the likes of Cheeseburger, Caprice Coleman, and all the other mid to lowercard talent that don't get booked anywhere beyond ROH these days

Edited by cuey82

Kyle O'Reilly recently spoke with Rolling Stone discussing his ROH run and what his 2017 may look like. Here are some of the highlights:

Status with Ring of Honor:

"As of right now, we don't really have anything confirmed. To be honest, I don't know what the future for Kyle O'Reilly holds. I'm looking at taking a bit of time away and re-evaluating things. 2017 will mark 12 years in the business for me. It has taken its toll. Traveling, plus being a Type-One diabetic, it's taken a toll on my health. I'm kind of just needing a bit of a break to reassess my future and weigh my options. Never say never though, I'm certainly not definitely done with Ring of Honor, but I'm just going to see what comes my way and remain optimistic."

Potentially working in WWE/NXT:

"There isn't anyone who gets into this business without dreams and visions of having that Wrestlemania moment. That's what's driven me to pursue wrestling to this degree, overall. It's naive to think anything else. Of course if that opportunity was to come around, then I would strongly, strongly, consider it. That being said, I don't have any concrete plans moving forward. But never say never. Ideally I would love that if it worked out. All I ever wanted was to create art and be the best pro wrestler that I can be. So I need to find an environment that is conducive to that and that will allow me to be that performer. You never know what could happen in WWE. I could be slapped with a gimmick that I'm a nanny for all I know. It is nice to see that they've started to recognize past achievements in wrestling. It puts you above where a lot of other people are starting. It's a nice perk. But I just want to go where I'm appreciated, and whether that's WWE, Japan or the independents, that remains to be seen."

What makes Japan special:

"Just their appreciation for pro wrestling. Pro wrestlers are revered, and respected. In the newspapers, there's baseball results, and then there's the wrestling results. It's treated so much differently than it is in the United States. Not to say that American fans aren't absolute amazing. They're great, and wrestling in the United States is awesome. And of course there's great money wrestling in the States. It's just that there's something different about wrestling in Japan. I'm not sure that everyone would attest to that, maybe it's just having the martial-arts based style makes it easier for me. It just seems magical. You watch the old tapes of Japanese wrestling, and something about it feels different."

Kyle O'Reilly also discussed ReDRagon, along with winning and losing the ROH Championship. You can read the full interview by clicking here: http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/kyle-oreilly-on-future-with-ring-of-honor-wwe-w463351

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2017/0128/622653/kyle-oreilly-on-roh-status/