Official ROH Show Discussion

BlackToxic

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

92fAFXn.jpg

(BALTIMORE, MD) In a coordinated announcement, Ring of Honor Wrestling (ROH), Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL) and New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW) have pledged to work with each other to create a superior blend of styles and athletes found nowhere else in the wrestling world.

NJPW has had working relationships with ROH and CMLL individually but now ROH and CMLL have teamed and have coordinated their efforts with New Japan Pro Wrestling. What this means for Ring of Honor fans is a continued presence of NJPW stars on selected events like “Death Before Dishonor” on Friday August 19th on PPV and “Field of Honor” from MCU Park in Brooklyn on Saturday August 27th and more CMLL stars appearing on Ring of Honor events as well.

Part of the new agreement, CMLL will be bringing ROH stars to Mexico on an ongoing basis as both companies look to grow their individual brands all over the world. CMLL, which began promoting events in 1933, currently competes in NJPW’s annual “Fantastica Mania” Tour every January. ROH hosts NJPW for the annual “War of the Worlds” Tour in May and Ring of Honor was added to NJPW’s schedule for “Honor Rising” in February, 2016.

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/rohs-new-relationship-cmll-now-makes-three-companies-one-goal

Just watched the go home episode of ROH today. Man, their booking has been on point for several weeks now. Here is the final card for Death Before Dishonor this Friday:

* ROH World Title Match: Champion Jay Lethal vs. Adam Cole

* ROH TV Title Match: Champion Bobby Fish vs. Mark Briscoe

* ROH Tag Team Title Match: Champions The Addiction vs. Tetsuya Naito & Evil vs. Michael Elgin & Hiroshi Tanahashi

* Non-Title Match: IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kazuchika Okada vs. Dalton Castle

* Non-Title Match: IWGP NEVER Openweight Champion Katsuyori Shibata vs. Silas Young

* Four Corner Survival ROH World TV Title No. 1 Contender’s Match: Donovan Dijak vs. Lio Rush vs. Jay White vs. Kamaitachi

* CHAOS (Romero, Barreta and Yano) vs. Bullet Club (Takahashi, Tonga, Loa)

* Hangman Adam Page vs. Jay Briscoe

Credit: http://411mania.com/wrestling/card-for-fridays-roh-death-before-dishonor-ppv/

Edited by classiq.

Quick picks for DBD tonight:

Cole

Fish

Addiction

Okada

Shibata

Dijak

Chaos

Page

And Candice LeRae who takes on Veda Scott tonight in a Women of Honor match.

Edited by classiq.

Just watched DBD. Haven't watched ROH in like 2 months or so. Very disappointing show IMO. Fell asleep half way through and woke up in time for the title match. Eh it was alright. Felt like Lethal was really holding back.

I'll give the show a 6/10

On episode 129 of The Ross Report, WWE Hall Of Famer, Jim Ross welcomed former ROH World Champion Jay Lethal to the podcast. During the interview, Lethal graded his TNA run. He explained how he got the Black Machismo gimmick. Also, Lethal talked about who should be on the so-called Mount Rushmore of professional wrestling.

According to Lethal, he would give his stint with TNA a grade of B+.

"Well, the grade I would give it, I don't know if anybody would be shocked by this grade, but I would give it a B+, to be honest. Even though there [were] a few things that I could have shook my finger at, you could do that at any job even if it's your dream job. And the reason I get a B+ from me is I had so many great moments there. I made so many great friends. And I feel like the Black Machismo character is really what put Jay Lethal on the wrestling map. No doubt and I'm not foolish enough to doubt that. I don't mind it. I'm well aware of that. They also gave me one of the greatest moments of my life when I got to step into the ring on pay-per-view with Ric Flair, a man that I idolized. I'm so honored for that. Yeah, I really believe what I did in that company is what put me on the map. So yeah, they would get a B+. I don't have many negative things to say about them either, which is cool for them except for the fact that they let me go, but anybody would be saddened by that."

Apparently, Kevin Nash encouraged Lethal to use the Black Machismo character on television after hearing Lethal's impression of the late great Randy 'Macho Man' Savage.

"I was a huge fan of his. Even before I got into the [professional] wrestling business, I watched him and listened to him and heard him so much, I guess I just naturally developed this ability to sound like him and I would do it in the locker rooms, from time to time, whenever there was a dull moment, and Kevin Nash actually heard me do it and he convinced me 'you have to do that on television. You have to. They're not doing anything with you right now, so it's not even like it would be that hard to do.' And I didn't want to do it because I didn't want anybody to think I was making fun of Savage because I really was a huge fan of his. And Kevin said, 'if anything, Jay, you'd be helping to keep his name out there because nobody is talking about him right now.' And that's the way he got me to see it, so I did it on television, Jeff Jarrett fell in love with it, I fell in love with it, and it actually got a longer run than any of us expected it would have."

Lethal's Mount Rushmore of professional wrestling includes Savage, Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, and Ultimate Warrior.

"Randy Savage and Ric Flair, they're definitely up there. Definitely." Lethal continued, "the other two, I believe it could be, as a popular answer, but I really believe that Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior have to be up there even though I didn't idolize either one those [wrestlers]. But from watching back, you either had to be a Hulk Hogan fan or you were an Ultimate Warrior fan, just like you were either a Bret Hart fan or you were a Shawn Michaels fan."

Click here to listen to the podcast. If you use any of the quotes from this article, please credit The Ross Report with an H/T to Wrestling Inc. for the transcription.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2016/0831/617098/jay-lethal-on-which-wwe-hofer-was-responsible-for-black-machismo/

Ring of Honor World Champion Adam Cole recently spoke with Chuck Carroll for CBS New York, talking about his recent title win, new recognition as champion, making ROH history and much more. You can read a few excerpts below:

Adam Cole comments on being only the third multiple time ROH World Champion:

The big question I get asked is does it feel any different the second time? And it definitely does.

The first time I won the Ring of Honor World Championship I was a kid — I was 23 years old. Now I’ve matured and gotten to travel the world. I’ve wrestled main event matches as a main event guy for Ring of Honor. So holding this championship for a second time you can enjoy it a little bit more.

My family was there… it was an awesome time for me.

Cole on what being a multiple-time champion means for him and ROH:

It’s huge. The number one factor is that it shows you the type of talent that are holding the Ring of Honor World Championship. If you go back and look at the lineage of the Ring of Honor World Championship… the guys that have held that belt are the who’s who of professional wrestling. And the guys who were able to win that belt are generally able to keep that belt for a very long time. It’s very rare that a repeat champion happens. So, it shows you how important and how much these guys fight for this championship.

To be on that elite list of the guys who have held the title more than once… I’d certainly say it’s my number one accomplishment in pro wrestling so far.

Cole on if WWE’s recent influx of indy talent worries ROH or PWG:

Not at all. To me it just compliments what we’re doing here in ROH a lot more. And on top of that, a lot of these guys getting opportunities in WWE are my friends. So to get to see them travel the world and become the megastars that they are is really cool.

Ring of Honor has always been a company that focuses on youths and being a true alternative. You can see more than ever with ROH associating itself with NJPW and CMLL down in Mexico — these other companies are top companies in the world of pro wrestling and have been for years. That’s a way for ROH to stay ahead of the curve.

Not only are we always looking for new hungry young talent, but we’re taking the top talent from Japan and Mexico and we’re bringing them to American soil. So, even the most die-hard wrestling fans are going to be able to say, “God, I would love to see Tanahashi live. I would love to see Okada live. I want to see the stars of CMLL live.”

That’s a different way that I believe our company is always staying ahead of the curve and delivering and offering something that WWE doesn’t offer.

Cole on plans for the future, whether or not he thinks WWE is a stop for him:

I know this is going to be a rather generic answer, but it’s the truth and it’s really how I feel.

Pretty early in my career I made the decision to focus on the task at hand. Very early on I used to obsess with, “Oh man I gotta get to WWE. I gotta do everything I can to get to WWE because they’re number one and they’re the best.”

It goes without saying that WWE is the largest professional wrestling company in the world. But there are a lot of other companies — a lot of other ways to make an impact. And I have the chance right now as a two-time ROH champion to make this title run as good as I can. I’m about to start my career in New Japan Pro Wrestling. I have a lot of roadblocks and a lot of things I have to accomplish that are set in front of me right now.

If you were to ask me if I ever want a WrestleMania moment someday, I’d be lying to you if I said I didn’t want a WrestleMania moment. That is in my sight line and something that I’ve thought about quite a bit.

But right now I’m focused on growing with Ring of Honor and making it as big as it can be. I’m focused on trying to become a star over in Japan.

The coolest part of professional wrestling right now is that any one of your favorites… they can wind up wherever. You see guys in WWE who are leaving to come and work the independent schedule, the ROH schedule, the PWG schedule. And then you see all of your independent favorites ending up in WWE.

This is the closest thing to me that we’ve had since the Attitude Era with guys popping up in different promotions. It’s an exciting time for the wrestlers, it’s an exciting time for the wrestling fan and I’m just going to enjoy the ride.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/749453-adam-cole-talks-about-making-history-as-roh-champion-staying-ahead-of-the-curve-does-he-see-a-future-in-wwe

WWE isn’t the only promotion rolling out new titles … Ring of Honor announced this morning that they’ll be doing the same thing with the new ROH World Six-Man Tag Team Championship.

Ring of Honor’s website says the first champs will be crowned in December at Final Battle following an eight-team tournament that begins next month.

The press release also claims that this is “the first time a major U.S.-based promotion has had a six-man tag team title in nearly 30 years” — despite the Lucha Underground Trios Championship being on American television for 2 seasons already.

Teams expected to compete in the tournament include Bullet Club and The Cabinet, among others.

Who would you like to see walk away with the titles? Let us know in the comments below.

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/ring-honor-6-man-tag-team-championship/#.V8Xu1pMrJE4?platform=hootsuite

If ROH wants to have 6 man tag titles, they should bring back Blood Generation and Do Fixer. A lot of people still consider that one of the best matches to ever take place in an ROH ring, and one of the best matches ever, in general. If they want to introduce these new belts, I almost can't take them seriously without the Dragon Gate guys at least doing a one-off appearance.

I don't see why ROH need 6 man tag titles when they can't even utilise the multitude of tag teams they have to book an interesting tag division.

I don't want to see Silas Young & Beer City Bruiser and/or Cheeseburger & Will Ferrera tag nevermind teams like this +1.

I'm guessing it'll allow ROH to make use of their new working relationship with CMLL, expect a lot of Mexican teams in the tournament and some NJPW trios from Chaos & Bullet Club

As previously reported, former WWE Superstar Cody Rhodes recently appeared on The Two Man Power Trip of Wrestling podcast. Below are some additional highlights from the episode.

Cody Rhodes on sending a jolt through the independent scene:I think it has been really flattering, as far as the jolt you speak of so to say and the reactions and attendance at these Independent events. When I made the list it was very measured and well thought of in terms of who I wanted to mix up with but also in terms of who would be possible and it is very enriching to check the boxes as we go. Early on I realized that you cant put this out there unless your intentions are that to finish it and my intentions are to finish the list and that could be difficult in some areas for those exclusively tied to companies but I am kind of hell-bent on making that happen. Im really glad that it is materializing and coming to fruition in a very big, loud way and that is just pretty damn cool.

On his response to his personal List: Its exceeded expectations. What Ive noticed at some of the independent brands that Ive found myself competing at and with people on the list is there have been a lot of eyes, especially in this day of social media where everything you do can be out there if you want it to be, there have been a lot of eyes on each match. More than just the intimate crowd that are there that evening, a lot of nay-sayers as well as the folks that are supporting this and are kind of rallying behind this either or tend to want to know what happened each night of the independent run and Im sure at VIP Wrestling in my match with Chris Hero, my match with Brian Fury and at WrestlePro with Pat Buck and back to Evolve with Johnny Wrestling, Drew Galloway and all of those matches are getting a spotlight and if that is because of me I am pretty happy about that and I like the pressure that also comes with that because you have to deliver. That is the best thing ever, pleasing a fan and shutting up a critic. That is the best thing in the world is to do that and the only way to do that is to deliver.

Rhodes on his upcoming ROH debut at Final Battle: On my radar no doubt for Final Battle is the biggest thing for me. It is my WrestleMania this year. They are both exceptional events and with Final Battle being Ring of Honors biggest and its my first opportunity to go the Hammerstein Ballroom. My time in ROH is not going to be limited to one show as far as not just doing Final Battle, taking my money and leaving. I road the roads with Daniel Bryan, Cesaro, Kevin (Owens), guys that were ROH guys and to be able to share the link now to say Im going to be in ROH and Ill know all about the Code of Honor and be in a company with Id consider to be some elite guys like Dalton Castle, The Young Bucks, Adam Cole, Warbeard Hanson, Dijak, Christopher Daniels..I am an over-sharer so I could just sit here and say everyones name but I am very excited about joining their roster and the matchups that are going to happen. Like we said with the list, Adam Cole is at the very top of it. It is isnt numbered, it isnt prioritized but if I put your name on the top that means you were the first person I thought about so that is the one. That is the one thing I want and in wrestling sometimes you need to know and that is the one I need to know.

Rhodes on ROHs ties to NJPW and possibly working against Shibata: New Japan Pro Wrestling is the hottest thing in wrestling. WWE is taking things that were popular in New Japan and putting them on their program, smartly because of how much success that New Japan has absolutely had. When you are in the bubble that is when you work for WWE and I guess when you are just focused solely on WWE and what you are doing and who the top person in your company is wrestling against and you can either stay in that bubble or look outside it for inspiration. When NXT really blew up and NXT is essentially a very well done and produced (let me bring every Indy All-Star into this promotion) and lets polish up the diamonds that you already are. That makes you look where did they come from? Did they come from Ring of Honor or did they come from Japan?

Shibata is legit a natural born killer and probably the riskiest name I put on the list. But he has a magnetism and charisma and it isnt in the talking and it isnt in so much in what he wears. It is just there. It is in the eyes, it is just somebody that I was a fan of and when I decided to leave I had the opportunity to get in there with guys that I am a fan of and he is one of them and as far as New Japan goes he is my favorite and the pre-existing relationship with Ring of Honor/New Japan helps to potentially make that happen.

Rhodes on using his fathers advice after leaving WWE: I didnt use his advice so much in his life. But in his death I use his advice considerably more. It has become one of those What Would Dusty Do? situations. I find myself asking that a lot and I think his gut was similar to my gut. Maybe I didnt follow my gut for a while kind of in my latter days at WWE so to be able to follow my gut just that reminds me of him. My Dad was not an over thinker or over-analyzer. If you ask any of the guys that were in his communications class at NXT, he wanted to make you feel comfortable and when you are comfortable and you are peaking that audience is also comfortable or you are going to make them uncomfortable as much as you can. I just hope we have a similar gut and I find myself in a lot of those What Would Dusty Do? situations and I dont do so much what Cody would do anymore.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/cody-rhodes-discusses-his-upcoming-ring-of-honor-debut-adam-cole-being-on-the-top-of-his-list-and-following-his-fathers-advice/

Ring of Honor World Champion Adam Cole recently spoke with The Swerve Magazine in advance of the ROH live event in Pittsburgh on Friday. You can read some highlights below:

Adam Cole talks about being only the third multi-time ROH World Champion:

I am the third guy ever to win the Ring of Honor title for the second time. It is pretty cool. The list of Ring of Honor Champions is already a very prestigious list. If you look at the names of Bryan Danielson (Daniel Bryan), CM Punk, Seth Rollins (Tyler Black), Nigel McGuinness, Samoa Joe and the list goes on and on. The reason the championship means so much is because of the men who have held the title. Then you look at the other class of those guys that were not only able to carry it once, but twice. The fact that I am in that class of guys to me means my name will be synonymous with Ring of Honor forever. So, to not only have that reward, but that responsibility of being a two-time champion is humbling. It is something that makes me very confident going forward.

Cole talks about the success in his feud with Jay Lethal as a traditional face/heel feud, without dragging it out too much:

I’m really glad you brought that up because I was just talking about this the other day. If you look at a couple other storylines I’ve had with Jay Briscoe and Kyle O’Reillly, we had a lot of time to play with to tell those stories. Which is great. For an artist or a pro-wrestler, it is great to have more things to play with when you are trying to tell a story where you are trying to create peaks and valleys.

With the Adam Cole/Jay Lethal story, we did not have much time to prep this story. We didn’t have a lot of time to play with. I and Jay had to pack in a lot of really compelling stuff in a short amount of time. We kept it very simple. And if you look at the feud between me and Jay Lethal, it is a very traditional heel versus babyface storyline with good peaks and valleys. Working with Jay, somebody as talented as him, really made this entire process easier for me. It also made it a lot of fun.

Cole on how joining Bullet Club may impact his career:

For sure. Starting with the Bullet Club, if you look at the Bullet Club as far as its influence and every major wrestling organization in the world, it is pretty insane, how much impact this group has made. For me to get to be a part of that, it is just awesome. It is so cool. And the fact that we got to do it on pay-per-view and it was a big surprise that we were able to trick a lot of people was really cool.

Even more importantly, this opens the doors for me to work for New Japan. I worked for New Japan in the past and whether it be due to injuries or scheduling conflicts, we quite couldn’t make it work. This Bullet Club idea came to me from them. And I said, “Yes, of course.” So now, hopefully, this starts an entire new chapter for my career. I get to go over to New Japan and make a name for myself.

Does he think wrestlers have more options today compared to five years ago?

Absolutely. And I think the reason for that is there are more places to work now. The scene now is not only healthy for a wrestling fan for finding an alternative they might want to watch or what they want to check out, but there is so many places where you can make a good living as a pro wrestler now. I look at this and I think it is not the Attitude Era, but it is the closest thing to the Attitude Era that we’ve had since. When you have guys that are popping up in companies where you thought you would never see them pop up, whether you are a good guy or a bad guy, being popular. Just the absolute chaos that is going on in pro wrestling right now. The multiple places to work, that is a big reason why I think that wrestlers have more of a grip on the pulse of what they want to do and what they want to project. There are multiple places where they can make a living. It is a really cool time right now.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/754291-adam-cole-talks-making-history-as-roh-champion-joining-bullet-club-if-wrestlers-have-more-career-options-today

If ROH wants to have 6 man tag titles, they should bring back Blood Generation and Do Fixer. A lot of people still consider that one of the best matches to ever take place in an ROH ring, and one of the best matches ever, in general. If they want to introduce these new belts, I almost can't take them seriously without the Dragon Gate guys at least doing a one-off appearance.

Is that that match from like 05' - 06'? *Censored* that match is old.

– Adam Cole’s ROH contract was set to expire on December 31st of this year, but ROH claims that due to Cole missing four months due to injury that his contract will run through April of 2017.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/various-news-update-on-adam-coles-roh-contract-tna-loses-another-executive/

Is that that match from like 05' - 06'? *Censored* that match is old.

March 31, 2006, but it still holds up very well. Time flies!

JESSICKA HAVOK makes her much anticipated ROH debut on September 17th in Lockport, NY as part of a heated WOMEN OF HONOR tag team match! Havok comes to Ring of Honor boasting an impressive, intimidating resume in professional wrestling. She has made a name for herself as one of the most dominant athletes - male or female - in the entire sport. With twelve years of experience, Havok began her career in 2004, traveling around Ohio and other parts of the midwest gaining experience and knowledge.

In just a few short years, Jessicka Havok's reputation for destruction brought her to the east coast, where she was a staple of women's professional wrestling in the New Jersey area for many years. During this time period, Havok held championships and was embroiled in a long and brutal rivalry with Mercedes Martinez!

Havok's look and fighting style have undergone many evolutions as she became more and more dominant in the women's wrestling scene. In recent years, she's embraced a chaotic darkness that feels like a comic book come to life! And there's no doubt this unique combination of violence and madness is exactly what caught the eye of the increasingly erratic Taeler Hendrix! No matter where and when, Havok leaves an indelible impression on her opponents and wrestling fans watching her compete. She's established herself in most of the major women's wrestling divisions in North America. Recently, Jessicka Havok made her debut in England, with several future opportunities already on the horizon. With her ever growing global profile, it was only a matter of time before she joined the WOMEN OF HONOR!

Who can possibly stand against such a physically intimidating, notoriously violent athlete like JESSICKA HAVOK? All of the Women of Honor will have their eyes on Lockport when Havok makes her debut, but it will be Deonna Purrazzo and Mandy Leon who have the first opportunity to try themselves against her. Taeler Hendrix chose wisely when she was selecting a tag team partner, but even she should be wary when it comes to dealing with Havok. In over a decade of competing, Havok has forged her own path and made her own way to join the elite in women's professional wrestling. All of the Women of Honor are on notice now that JESSICKA HAVOK is here!

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/jessicka-havok-debuts-saturday-night-lockport-new-york?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter