Official ROH Show Discussion

BlackToxic

I was just thinking about how much I miss ROH running shows there.

I've heard that it's much more expensive to run shows there than it used to be. I'm glad that ROH listened to their fans and worked something out. I thought Terminal 5 looked really cool on TV, but pretty much everybody who went to those shows complained about the venue.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 years ago today:

CM Punk defeated Austin Aries to win the ROH World Championship. Remember that stuff about being CM Punk's final match? Turned out he was a liar, liar, pants on fire. Post-match, he ripped into his now former employer and its fans.

"Isn't this the prettiest little thing you've ever seen? It was over a year ago I held this belt high in the air after I fought for it for the first time in Dayton, Ohio against Samoa Joe and I proclaimed this belt the most important thing to me. Right now, in my hands, as of this day 6/18/05, THIS becomes the most important belt in the world!

This belt in the hands of any other man is just a belt, but in my hands it becomes power. Just like this microphone in the hands of any of the boys in the back is just a microphone, but in the hands of a dangerous man like myself it becomes a pipe-bomb. These words that I speak spoken but anybody else are just words strung loosely together to form sentences. What I say I mean, and what I mean I say, and they become anthems!

You see, if I could be afforded the time here a little bit of a story. There was once an old man, walking home from work. He was walking in the snow, and he stumbled upon a snake frozen in the ice. He took that snake, and he brought it home, and he took care of it, and he thawed it out, and he nursed it back to health. And as soon as that snake was well enough, it bit the old man. And as the old man lay there dying he asked the snake, 'Why? I took care of you. I loved you. I saved your life.'

And that snake looked that man right in the eye and said, 'You stupid old man. I'm a snake.'

The greatest thing the devil ever did was make you people believe he didn't exist...and you're looking at him right now! I AM THE DEVIL HIMSELF! And all of you stupid, mindless people fell for it! You all believed in the same make-believe superhero that the legendary Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat saw some year ago today. No, you see, you don't know anything. You followed me hook-line and sinker, all of you did, and I'm not mad at you...I just feel sorry for you. This belongs to me! Everything you see here belongs to me, and I did what I had to do to get my hands on this. Now I am the GREATEST PRO WRESTLER walkin' the Earth today!

This is my stage, this is my theater, you are my puppets! When I pulled those marionette strings, and I moved your emotions, and I played with them, and honestly it's 'cause I get off on it. I hate each and every single one of you with a thousand burns and I will not stop...I will not stop until I prove that I am better than you, that I am better than Low Ki, that I am better than AJ Styles! I'm better than Samoa Joe. Ladies and gentlemen, the champ is here! You don't have to love it, but you better learn to accept it. 'Cause I'm taking this with me, and there's not a single person in that locker room that can stop me!"

Punk would hold the title for just 55 days, but it was a long 55 days for Ring of Honor; he signed his WWE deal on the ROH world title belt, he purposefully ducked out of title defenses, and threatened to drop the championship at the feet of Vince McMahon, a la Madusa when she dumped the WWF Women's Championship belt in a trash can back in December 1995. In the end, Punk never got around to dumping the belt at the feet of McMahon; James Gibson would defeat Punk for the title in August, and after a bout against longtime friend Colt Cabana the next night, Punk left for WWE. The two-month period is forever etched in wrestling lore as "the summer of Punk".

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2016/6/18/11929058/this-day-in-wrestling-history-june-18-summer-of-punk

The following press release has been issued:

BALTIMORE, MD (June 22, 2016) – FITE TV and Ring of Honor Wrestling (ROH) announced today that ROH’s weekly program is now available around the world on the FITE TV app starting Monday June 27th. The weekly ROH program that airs on Sinclair Broadcasting’s network of stations on weekends will now also be available every Monday starting at 7:00pm ET, and throughout the week for free on a Video on Demand (VOD) basis.

FITE TV, is a free mobile app for viewing fighting sports on TV using only a smartphone. The FITE app can be downloaded either through the Google Play or iTunes app stores. Programming can be either viewed on your smart phone/tablet or automatically flipped onto your wifi connected television. FITE is available anywhere in the world that has wifi connections.

“We are excited about this opportunity to increase the availability of our program around the world through this unique mobile app platform,” said ROH General Manager Greg Gilleland. “ROH fans now have another easy way to stay up to date with the latest ROH action on their time schedule, wherever they are in the world.”

Ring of Honor Wrestling is a subsidiary of Sinclair Broadcast Group and features some of the best wrestlers in the world including ROH Champion Jay Lethal, ROH Tag Team Champions – The Addiction (Frankie Kazarian and Christopher Daniels) and the Briscoe Brothers.

“Since our debut four months ago, we have had the opportunity to present over 100 live events on FITE TV, including Ring of Honor’s outstanding pay per views this year. This is the natural next step for our viewer base to offer weekly original programming with a consistent schedule,” said Michael Weber, FITE TV Senior Vice President of Marketing. “ROH fans now know that at 7:00pm ET, their favorite wrestling show can be viewed on either their mobile device or on their large screen television each week as a free VOD.”

Since FITE TV’s debut in February, the app has partnered with over 80 different programmers to supply live and video-on-demand fights to FITE TV viewers. Some of FITE’s programming partners include Ring of Honor Wrestling, Golden Boy Promotions, AXS TV, World Series of Fighting, Tuff-N-Uff and more. To view the full partner list, it can be found on FITE TV’s website.

To learn more about FITE, go to www.fite.tv or to download the app, go to Google Play: http://bit.ly/1QnPolu or iTunes: http://apple.co/1PxQGKT.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/721355-ring-of-honor-wrestling-to-be-available-weekly-on-fite-tv

Holy crap!

More:

Former ROH champion Roderick Strong will be finishing up with ROH this weekend. His final scheduled appearance for the company will be at this Saturday's TV taping in North Carolina. Strong, 32, has held every ROH championship over the course of his run with the company and with the exception of The Briscoes, was the longest tenured talent in the company. He initially debuted for the company in 2003 during the Murphy Rec era after breaking out on the Florida independent scene and as part of Generation Next, was an important part of the company's resurgence in 2004. Strong was so loyal to ROH that when he was also working for TNA at the same time and was ordered by TNA to leave a ROH event to avoid a blizzard that was to hit NYC the night before a TNA PPV in Orlando in 2006, Strong still wrestled on the ROH event and arrived late due to the weather - leading to TNA suspending him and eventually playing a role in his departure from the company. Strong morphed into one of the best in-ring performers in the world over the course of his ROH run and was coined "Mr. ROH" for his role in the company. Over the past several years, he really found himself and was able to bring out his personality in a major way. He leaves a hell of a legacy behind and was pretty much a guaranteed great match any time he was on a big event. In many ways, he was the ROH measuring stick for many years and will absolutely be missed. His ROH deal expires this month. He will face Mark Briscoe at the Best in the World PPV Friday and Dalton Castle at the ROH TV Taping on Saturday 6/25 in Concord, NC.

ROH Tweeted out the following in regard to Strong's departure:

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/745752940946743296?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

It also appears that Quinn Ojinnaka aka Moose, 32, will be also finishing up this summer. We have heard from multiple sources that Moose has relayed he is finishing up with the company at the end of August. Moose, who was backstage at WWE NXT Takeover, is believed to be on the WWE radar. He's has tryouts for WWE in the past. He debuted with ROH in 2014 after a successful professional football career in the NFL.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=102905

As previously reported, WWE had not yet offered former Ring of Honor star Moose a contract with the company. Previously, Moose was strongly rumored to receive a WWE deal. However, according Dave Meltzer on a recent edition of Wrestling Observer Radio, something has changed with Moose’s possible WWE status.

Meltzer indicated that “things have changed with [ROH star] Moose,” and he added that, “Nobody know’s what’s happening with him.” Moose was previously expected to join WWE later this summer. Following last night’s Ring of Honor show, Moose posted the following tweet:

https://twitter.com/MooseNation69/status/746417333065789440

http://411mania.com/wrestling/update-on-mooses-status-for-possible-deal-with-wwe/

Who do you guys think should finally take the title off Jay Lethal?

I was thinking about it today, and it doesn't seem like there are many good choices.

Kyle O'Reilly - I feel like most fans still want O'Reilly, but Jay has already beaten him three times at this point. It'd seem like such an anti-climatic end to an amazing title reign.

Bobby Fish - Maybe it's just me, but I feel like he's missing something that I can't quite put my finger on. I feel like he gets overshadowed by O'Reilly, who is almost like the closest thing we have to a spiritual successor to Bryan Danielson. If Fish were to get the big push before him, you'd just be waiting for him to drop the title to O'Reilly. I don't think that's how you should feel about the guy who finally beats Jay Lethal.

Colt Cabana - Cabana would have been a great choice. I thought for sure he'd win that title match in Chicago. Unfortunately, I think that ship has sailed now. It was a huge missed opportunity. Maybe they could still make it work, but the super generic babyface promos he was cutting when he came back aren't going to cut it anymore. Both Cabana and the writers would have to really step up their game.

Moose - I'm sure they would have loved for Moose to be their new main protagonist, but there's a good chance he's going to *Censored* off to NXT. I don't see him beating Jay Lethal, but if he does it'll probably be very soon. As far as wrestlers already on their roster go, I think this is their best option if they can make it happen. I think a lot of fans already think of him as an NXT guy, so it'd be pretty shocking. Even though he's been there for a while now, he still feels fresh and he just keeps getting more popular.

Dalton Castle - With how ridiculously over he is, Castle could be a good option but they'd have to drastically change their booking strategy. It'd take a long time to prepare him for the role, and I don't know if fans can stomach seeing Jay Lethal beat the same four wrestlers fifty times in the meantime.

Adam Cole - I'd hate this so much, which could be a good thing. I think ROH is doing some of the best Bullet Club stuff ever right now, because somehow they've managed to make the American fans feel the same way about the faction that Japanese fans do. The problem is that you usually don't want to go from one really long heel title reign to another, and that's basically what they'd be doing. Maybe it'd be okay but I think the fans are begging for something new. I'd rather see the Bullet Club feud with whoever finally beats Jay Lethal.

A random midcarder - They could have someone from the undercard catch Jay Lethal off guard and beat him in a huge upset. I'm always a fan of these kinds of storylines as long as they're used sparingly. But in this case, it wouldn't work because you'd have to explain why Lethal doesn't just beat them in the rematch. It's not the right ending for this story.

A NJPW wrestler - I'd love to see Hiroshi Tanahashi with the ROH World Championship. But on the other hand, ROH really has to start building their own stars. I also think NJPW would be more interested in ROH helping to build up a midcarder. Lethal has already beaten Goto and Honma. He should beat guys like Ishii and Shibata too.

Someone from outside ROH - This is by far the best option. Someone fresh with a lot of credibility. Jay Lethal has single handedly made all the shows so much better with the best ROH title reign in years. It deserves to have an epic conclusion. There's a lot of excellent free agents out there; Kurt Angle, Sami Callihan, Sandow, Rhodes... I shouldn't get my hopes up. It seems like ROH never signs any of the big free agents. I could see Cody Rhodes losing to Jay Lethal in a special one-off, but that's it.

Edited by Crowley

Guest Fight Me.

Yeah, it was telling me I was having problems with my Internet connection, but my phone and Internet were working just fine. Working better today, but I'm having trouble connecting it to my chromecast so that I could watch it on my TV.

Edited by Fight Me.