The Metal Thread

Ernez

Well everyone has dif taste I guess. I think Mastodon is a whole f*ckton better than just decent, but that's just my opinion.

I listened to the White Wizzard track posted on the previous page and now Starchild. They are good, no doubt, but they don't blow me away. I love power metal, but I've been having difficulty getting into any newer Power style bands. I wasn't even sold on Holy Grail the first time I heard them (which was here btw, when Anti posted them). But they really started to grow on me. I do like White Wizzard for what they are, but it seems like Power just hasn't had much innovation in about 2 decades (from new bands that is). I get the "don't fix what ain't broke" mentality. But White Wizzard isn't Maiden or Guardian. It's maybe not a fair comparison to make, but it's the first thing that comes to mind. I do feel that Power bands are held to that standard perhaps more so than in other subgenres which is why I say it isn't fair. For ex: nobody expects or wants Warbringer to sound like Metallica (which they don't) anyways, and even if their sound is a little reminiscent of early Slayer, everyone (including myself) is pretty cool with that.

I agree that Wizzard's vocalist should reconsider and stick around as he is a very talented singer. Lyrics wise, I dunno, On dragon's wings, we touch the sky I feel like I've heard that exact lyric in about 15 million power metal songs before. :lol:

As far as newer Power Metal goes. These guys are pretty badass Nocturnal Rites Actually they've been around for a long time too, but they're newer (2000 and onward) stuff is considered better than their mid 90's stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-ASCUz5Sdc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFJnUfvfvvA&feature=related

Obligatory cheesy video. :D

The devil looks a lot like Ann Coulter in this video, which is probably quite accurate.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't say Mastodon is just decent, lol, I said the new Mastodon (album) is decent. Mastodon is a great band, better than White Wizzard, but in terms of their new albums, White Wizzard kills Mastodon here.

Before Flying Tigers, you can see White Wizzard was talented, but they just sounded like Maiden and Priest clones. This new album showcases how they're going for a new original sound. Still Maiden-esque, but it's something more. Listen to Demons and Diamonds, which is a 9-minute epic and you'll see what I mean.

Nocturnal Rites is *censored*ing amazing. They're just so... catchy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIKhB_yP6x0

Radom, I hear ya. I may have misinterpreted what u meant at first somewhat. I like The Hunter so far though. Maybe not as much as Crack the Skye... ok not as much Crack the Skye, but I still dig it a lot. I'll have to check out that WW track, demons and diamonds.

ZOMG!

Someone did an 8-bit of Nocturnal Rites.

I know the 8-bit trend has been done to death, I just didn't expect a more under the radar type of band like them to get the 8-bit treatment. There is one for "Against the World" too, but this "Never Die" sounds better as an 8-bit. Plus they get extra props for making the album art look 8-bit too. I feel like I'm ready to kill some monsters in a turn based setting.

Listened to both the new Mastodon and White Wizzard albums completely. New Mastodon is decent, nothing more nothing less. I've always found Mastodon to be a bit overrated. That being said, they still dish out some killer tracks on this album, shown below. The new White Wizzard albums, on the other hand, blows me away. The band is clearly maturing in songwriting, the guitar playing clear and on point, same with bass and drums. The vocalist, Michael Gremio, has left the band, AGAIN, which is a damn shame considering how great he was in this album. White Wizzard seriously needs to get their line-up straight. Anyway, Flying Tigers isn't a masterpiece, but it's much better than their last album, and if they can get fix up the line-up and continue making music, I'm sure we'll see a real masterpiece by them.

Actually it was Wyatt Anderson who left the band again, he has done vocals for both albums. Gremio played Keep it True (or was it Wacken) last year with them and was then fired in favor of Peter Ellis. Then Wyatt came back, Ellis was fired, and recorded the tracks. Then he quit again because he didn't want to leave his family (again), so they brought back Gremio for their current tour. James Paul Luna from Holy Grail was the original vocalist on the High Speed GTO EP's.

New Burzum

Varg's favorite tracks from his two first albums "Burzum" and "Det Som Engang Var" recorded in 2010 the way he orignally intended!!

1. The Coming (introduction)

2. Feeble Screams from Forests unknown

3. Sassu Wunnu (introduction)

4. Ea. Lord of the Depths

5. Spell of Destruction

6. A lost forgotten sad Spirit

7. My Journey to the Stars

8. Call of the Siren (introduction)

9. Key to the Gate

10. Turn the Sign of the Microcosm (Snu Mikrokosmos' Tegn)

11. Channeling the Power of Minds into a new God *New Release* - available 28/11/2011

http://www.plastiche...target=BYE009CD

New Burzum

Varg's favorite tracks from his two first albums "Burzum" and "Det Som Engang Var" recorded in 2010 the way he orignally intended!!

1. The Coming (introduction)

2. Feeble Screams from Forests unknown

3. Sassu Wunnu (introduction)

4. Ea. Lord of the Depths

5. Spell of Destruction

6. A lost forgotten sad Spirit

7. My Journey to the Stars

8. Call of the Siren (introduction)

9. Key to the Gate

10. Turn the Sign of the Microcosm (Snu Mikrokosmos' Tegn)

11. Channeling the Power of Minds into a new God *New Release* - available 28/11/2011

http://www.plastiche...target=BYE009CD

I remember not long ago the BM community had alot of people saying it was pointless to re-record old songs because you're ruining the mood, and the atmosphere at the time it was recorded. I figured Varg would have been one of those guys.. somewhat surprising, somewhat not as I guess he knows that would be the popular thing to do, so he goes with whatever would be the opposite of the community. Vintage Varg.

Fried are you interested in the Book he just wrote?

http://www.burzum.org/eng/library/paganism17.shtml

I've read Vargsmål and the Guide To Norse Gods And Their Names a long time ago when I was into Paganism. I try to keep up with the articles he writes for burzum.org but I find Paganism doesn't resonate with me as much as it once did. I think however it's great for the European people and I do still carry an Algiz rune keychain around with me. So might pass on the new book at this time. Have you read any of his stuff before yourself?

I don't know about the rerecorded album. I'll still check it out though.

I like how he still doesn't miss the chance to dog on his 'peers' heh...

You've said negative things about the modern Norwegian black metal scene. What issues do you have with it?

You mean apart from them being either rats or friends with rats? They are a parody of what black metal was supposed to be! How can I not detest them? Oh, and why is nobody making fun of Satyricon's drummer? I mean; when was having a nose job okay for “oh-so-damn-tough-I-am” black metal artists? I am sorry to say so, but these guys makes me feel ashamed of being Norwegian. Hey, just have a look at any Immortal video on YouTube and you will feel ashamed of being of the same species as these guys.

Heh...there seems to be a bit of anti-Satyricon stuff going around. I remember this from Fenriz

Will any more songs from the project you did with Pantera's Phil Anselmo, Satyricon's Satyr, and Necrophagia's Killjoy—called Eibon—see the light of day?

I told that Satyr guy to never ever contact me ever again. So if there's more Eibon it will sure as hell be without me. I'm fine just doing Darkthrone.

Never ever ever!

I still like the first two Satyricon but the one with Nocturno didn't do too much for me and I really started losing interest when the Moonfog cyber-styled stuff came around. All those computer art album covers. I seem to remember that DT or Peaceville bought back the rights for those DT Moonfog albums which is probably a good thing as the Moonfog page hasn't been updated since 2007.

Also, don't know if I've seen them mentioned here or elsewhere but new Terrordome seems to be popping up. Not really my type of thing though.

Archived