The Metal Thread

Ernez

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, haha. Floki is the best I think.

Been addicted to this song a while now. The LotR vid fits since the song is about it after all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldzUl-WkvYg

Digging it. I've never heard of the band before, so thanks for introducing that. I like most LOTR inspired things in the first place, but even without that element, I still would've liked the song either way. Has a bit of a power influence to it, though LOTR themed metal often does. Either way it stood out from a lot of other folk metal in a unique yet still very familiar way.

Also, yeah Floki is kickass. Everything that dude says is gold. He has one liners that I don't think were even intended to be quotables, but just the way he delivers some lines is memorable. "Can I eat my food first!?" Plus he was ready to step up to do that free will sacrifice at the drop of a hat, but fortunately his slutty girlfriend stopped him. If they ever kill off his character, I'll be beyond pissed. Good news is they need a ship builder, and he has that skillset and others beyond just swinging weapons around.

Yea, no problem man. :-) They don't have a multitude of songs, but the ones that are there are great.

Gustaf Skarsgard (Floki) is apparently the only Scandinavian actor in the series, so he's a true viking. His love for Odinism in the show is why I like him so much. Rollo on the other hand, not so much. He turned his back on the gods by being baptized. That's why I hope in the next season Floki will take him down instead of Ragnar.

• 2 weeks later...

^ The new Carcass sounds like...Carcass, which is why I really like it. Reminds me a bit of their Heartwork and Swansong material. Can't wait for the new album. Plus Jeff Walker sounds the same, like his vocals didn't age at all.

It's a bit confusing for me that Carcass. Sure, it sounds like Carcass but I think it sounds like Carcass doing a cover.

However, I'm in a fortunate or unfortunate position of never getting around to hearing Heartwork or Swansong. I was big into Necroticism, Reek and Symphonies so maybe I was expecting it to be a bit more along those lines. Song structure at least.

Video above has since been taken down by Nuclear Blast. Search it on youtube, it's been reuploaded 5 times since then.

It's a bit confusing for me that Carcass. Sure, it sounds like Carcass but I think it sounds like Carcass doing a cover.

However, I'm in a fortunate or unfortunate position of never getting around to hearing Heartwork or Swansong. I was big into Necroticism, Reek and Symphonies so maybe I was expecting it to be a bit more along those lines. Song structure at least.

Video above has since been taken down by Nuclear Blast. Search it on youtube, it's been reuploaded 5 times since then.

I wasn't expecting much, but I'm pleasantly surprised with the new Carcass. Good too see Walker and Steer together, but I'm not familiar with their new guitarist.

But anyways, it's similar to Heartwork and Swansong, but not as great. My favourite Carcass albums are Necroticism and Symphonies, which are a lot different from Heartwork and Swansong, which are more so melodeath. But I pretty much like Carcass' discography.

I'd suggest checking out Heartwork though. It's a change in style, but still really great. They dropped the grindcore-ish sound, so it's understandable why some may not like it.

I wasn't expecting much, but I'm pleasantly surprised with the new Carcass. Good too see Walker and Steer together, but I'm not familiar with their new guitarist.

But anyways, it's similar to Heartwork and Swansong, but not as great. My favourite Carcass albums are Necroticism and Symphonies, which are a lot different from Heartwork and Swansong, which are more so melodeath. But I pretty much like Carcass' discography.

I'd suggest checking out Heartwork though. It's a change in style, but still really great. They dropped the grindcore-ish sound, so it's understandable why some may not like it.

I'm digging it quite a lot actually.

Everyone has different tastes, that is what makes us all unique. One subject that will divide a room down a middle is Heartwork. Personally, Carcass begins with Heartwork for me, I f'n love that album. I tried listening to their older stuff, but I just couldn't get into it, even Necroticism. I strongly dislike grindcore in general, but from what I have heard on Necroticism, even back then, Carcass was clearly very talented despite being a grindcore band... I think of lot grindcore bands play that shit because it is easy, ya know, you can miss a bunch of notes playing live and no one will notice, let alone give a shit. But Carcass seemed like they played that style purely for fun, but eventually they decided to incorporate real song structure and melody and craft the masterpiece of an album that they were capable of all along and that's what happened with Heartwork.

I like Bolt Thrower too, but don't really dig their early material either. Some people love the rawness of those types of albums, and while I can respect that, that style just doesn't speak to me personally that much.

That leaked track sounds pretty good, it's not groundbreaking, but it's real solid, and it sounds like what melodic oriented death metal has been missing for a long while. This is a welcome return for Carcass... at least judging by this sampling.

Speaking of melodeath... one of my all time fav bands released a new one over a month ago and I don't recall mentioning it in this thread yet. That of course being Dark Tranquillity (my love for Heartwork starting to make more sense I would imagine now too)

DT's Construct is... well it's not an instant classic such as The Gallery or Haven or even Damage Done or Fiction, but it is good in it's own way. Though very much still sons of Gothenburg, DT's sound on Construct is a little more akin to the goth/doom sound of their friends in Katatonia, or perhaps Paradise Lost, or Anathema or some such. Part of this is due to quite a bit of clean vox. Stanne proves he is still God-tier in terms of vocals though and that is where the album shines the most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPHsDOG2Qcg

This is one of the tracks I've been repeating the most.

Also... it's a chilly day in hell, because one of the most impesssive albums I've heard this year more or less falls under the category of black metal... folky and epic and atmospheric, but still... Summoning's Old Mornings Dawn. As I've said a few pages ago, I'm unashamedly enough of a J.R.R.T. geek that I'll give anything Lord of the Rings inspired a chance. I do dig folk inspired black, and some viking black like Enslaved and such... so this isn't much of a surprise. But Summoning was not a band I was very familiar with until the past month or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XfHkjyxZQY

Nearly as unlikely as me posting something black metalish is Hellhammer posting up some good old fashioned doom. I first heard Venomous Maximus, roughly a year ago, and yeah they have that classic, epic feel, yet mixed with newer stoner styles too. I didn't think there is much demand for doom here though, and plus as much as it's one of my fav genres, it's plagued by derivation more than quite a few others, so I rarely ever post doom stuff here. Perhaps that should change.

This is the latest band I've been checking out, you might dig them too. Different from Venomous Maximus, but unquestionably cool none the less! High Priest of Saturn. Perhaps it should be High Priestess though as they feature a female lead. What I really dig about her is she doesn't indulge in the over the top cheese that often happens in doom bands that feature frontwomen.

Funny soldier you bring up Summoning, I have been on a binge of them lately but I didn't feel like posting their stuff, because I didn't think anyone would care for them here.

I actually came across them before Old Morning's Dawn came out. So I'm caught up, they certainly have a certain hook when it comes to their drum tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtrLUVTZ4gk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HipoikwHRb8

• 2 weeks later...

(NWR064) TRIAL (Swe) – ‘Malicious Arts’ 7”EP
Riding high on the critical acclaim afforded their The Primordial Temple debut last year, Swedish true metal occultists TRIAL return with an epic new EP entitled Malicious Arts. Pressed onto 7" vinyl, Malicious Arts contains two trademark TRIAL tracks - darkly galloping, aura-enshrouded, steel-clad HEAVY METAL in the grand tradition of ancient early '80s masters - but which also see the band expanding their compositional "storytelling language" toward more grandiose, strangely twisting ends. Behold the Malicious Arts! Recommended for diehards of early IRON MAIDEN, MERCYFUL FATE, and OZ.
www.nuclearwinterrecords.com

Good stuff Hellhammer. I hadn't really heard Summoning's older material before. It's considerabl more black in a sense, but I still don't mind it, not quite sure what it is, but something about their music is just really gripping.

I don't know how I feel about that one either Mustaine. All good things must eventually come to an end is all I gotta say.

Wow, I remember Nightmare Creatures. That game wasn't overall that good, but had great atmosphere and a sick OST!

That MA 20th anniversy tour sounds interesting. I like start to finish albums played live... sometimes, and this one would be cool. More so, since they are coming to my town. Unfortunately though, that venue... the Altar Bar is about the size of a gastation bathroom, maybe smaller.

I'm really digging that TRIAL. Never heard of those before, but I like the throwback style. Gonna have to check out more of them.

Archived