The Metal Thread

Ernez

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just heard Slipknot's new song for the first time, even though it's been out for a while. I wasn't expecting to like it but I'm pleasently surprised. Sounds pretty much like someone took Iowa and Vol.3 and mixed them together. I dig it, although it seems a little bit uninspired. Still nice to blast every now and then though.

Just heard Slipknot's new song for the first time, even though it's been out for a while. I wasn't expecting to like it but I'm pleasently surprised. Sounds pretty much like someone took Iowa and Vol.3 and mixed them together. I dig it, although it seems a little bit uninspired. Still nice to blast every now and then though.

The Negative One? Sounds nothing like anything from Volume 3. Though they're streaming a new song called The Devil In I are you on about that one?

I guess the song is structured more simply as was the majority of Vol. 3, which was by far their worst album alongside the beginning half of AHIG. Though it doesn't sound anything like that album.

Yes I know, he said that about the album in general. Not this particular song and The Negative One sounds nothing like anything from Volume 3.

I like Volume 3, but they really lost something with that album.

I think they only got better with that album. It's more melodic without losing the mood their music sets. AHIG was pretty generic though. ;_;

True, may have worded that poorly too. I really do think the instrumental sounds like a mixture of Iowa and Vol.3 though. Bit rougher like Iowa but the general instrumental work reminds me a lot of Vol.3. So yeah, just a mix. Something like Disasterpiece mixed with Nameless or Virus Of Life imo.

The latter songs of AHIG are great. The song itself (AHIG) is legit one of their best.

I managed to buy Mate Feed Kill Repeat, their EP before they were SlipKnot on Ebay. Expensive as hell, but amazing.

They don't make things like they use to when it comes to this thread.

MDF 2015 lineup

Thursday, May 21st @ Rams Head Live:
Bevar Sea
Conan
Iron Man
Jex Thoth
Mantar
Primitive Man
Ufomammut
YOB

Thursday, May 21st @ Soundstage:
Ciborium
Devourment
Internal Bleeding
Mortal Decay
Origin
Skinless

Friday - Sunday (5/22-5/24) @ Edison Lot:
Amorphis
Anaal Nathrakh
Arcturus
Artificial Brain
Aura Noir
Bloodbath
Bulldozer
Cianide
Demilich
Einherjer
Fulgora
Funebrarum
Goatsnake
Inverloch (playing a diSEMBOWELMENT set)
Lock Up
Master
Metal Church
Morpheus Descends
Neurosis
Obituary
Primordial
Prosanctus Inferi
Razor
Serpentine Path
Skepticism
Sodom
Suffocation
Tombs
Triptykon
Twilight of the Gods
Vallenfyre
Vulcano
Winter

Friday - Sunday (5/22-5/24) @ Rams Head Live:
Adversarial
Aeternus
Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult
Demoncy
Dragged into Sunlight
Impetuous Ritual
Knelt Rote
Portal
Thantifaxath
Tsjuder
Vattnet Viskar

Friday - Sunday (5/22-5/24) @ Soundstage:
Agoraphobic Nosebleed
Antigama
Backslider
Cephalic Carnage
Chainsaw to the Face
Coke Bust
D.R.I.
Early Graves
Engorged
Entrails Massacre
Excel
F.I.D.
Full of Hell
Ghoul
Grin and Bear it
Homewrecker
Inter Arma
Lycanthrophy
Martyrdöd
Melt-Banana
Mother Brain
Pizzahifive
P.L.F.
Napalm Death
Noisear
Noxa
Spazztic Blurr
Splatterhouse
Suffering Mind
Triac
Water Torture
Wolfbrigade

Nice to see you around HH.

Doubt it'll get any attention here but here's the teaser from the new Reverorum Ib Malacht album with the (at first) dubious title of "De Mysteriis Dom Christi"

And a track from the album itself which was released on 3 different formats with different music spread across the different formats.

Now, I'm no fan of 'white' or 'unblack' metal but this has to be up there with some of the most dark metal I've heard lately.

That Reverorum Ib Malacht is probably the most interesting release I've heard in the metal genre for a long time.

Well, I'll talk about it. You've introduced me to other stuff I thought I'd hate, but ended up being either pleasently surprised or at least somewhat interested.

Okay, just checked that out. Never heard of them until now, but I started listening to those 2 tracks and began perusing the web for more info on them.

The irony is that finally a BM band who is more or less part of my religion (this band identifies as Roman Catholic Black Metal) gains some momentum, yet uses many of the attributes of BM that I don't particularly like. Some of that dissonance sounds like it came from another planet (not a good thing in my book) but it is clearly executed well. I feel like the band achieved the result they were aiming for. It's intriguing on a number of levels, parts are even what I'd call mezmerizing! The end of the first track, was really quite cool. Yet, I still like more traditional, bombastic and guitar driven metal more than I could ever really dig this. As for the doomy, post-metal stylings that I like, they are so rooted in bands like Neurosis (cool that they'll be at MDF this year, should be 1 of the headliners) that the post black stuff still sounds so alien to me.

Lots of people irl seem to think I don't like bm much because of the associatian with satanic stuff. But honestly I find that part just silly. Ok, burning churches, not so much, that's just really disrespectful, I can't support that. Fortunately that was a long ass time ago and aside from that, my main beef with BM old or new has always been the extremely lo-fi production and the dissonance, and sometimes the vocals. Some of the incessant wailing is irritating. Some bm vocals I like though. More often I find that I like bm vocals in other forms of metal though. Like Goatwhore (who I saw somewhat recently) is certainly not a black metal band, more like blackened death or blackened thrash. Either way, their combo works. Oh yeah, and those guys themes tend to skew toward the evil stuff and the anti-religion stuff for sure.

While that doesn't bother me, it is also nice to philosophically identify with a band too. I've warmed on bm in general over the time that this forum has known me. I still prefer viking or atmospheric stuff over lo-fi raw, dude just wailing & screeching over blastbeats that sound like they were recorded in a cave, in 1958 or so.

What I like about Rev Ib Malacht is the more atmospheric drone/ambient type stuff. I like regular post-metal enough to dig some of those parts that I heard, especially in that second (long track of multiple songs I imagine) vid you posted. Elsewhere on the web I read that they did some demos that were pretty much just ambient and people said it was boring. I'll believe that, I don't mind the traditional bm elements that break the monotony. The difference is, with this band, those moments seem to pop out from left field in the middle of segments that sound like background themes to a horror film, along with ominious chanting and mumbling, and then BAM it's time to get weird. Not in a typical, we were being quiet and now we're yelling and drumming really loud, GOTCHA type of way. Instead, just getting weird! The result is that for a Christian metal band, this shit is more frightening than most of the satanic black metal out these days. BM has always been intense or atmospheric and sometimes is designed to sound scary or intimidating. But this stuff... it's just unnerving. I don't know how original it is or not. They sound pretty unique to me. I haven't heard anyone call them a copy of anyone though and I checked a few webzines for reviews. The sheer immensity of you Fried hyping up a Holy, Unblack, White metal band had me intrigued enough to delve deeper.

Much respect for being unbiased man. I've seen mods from one site in particular hating on them for no real reason other than their faith. Some come right out and said it, others try to disguise it, but are the same guys who typically rave about any lo-fi ambient bm stuff that sounds even remotely like this.

On that note, I fully expect their next album cover to feature an image of one of the band members heads' being plunged underwater for a Baptism. Sorry about the mess :hqhq:

Also, be careful Fried, this music has deeply hidden messages and if you listen to it long enough you may venture down a dark path... I know you're thinking it's just harmless music. Then before you know it, you'll be building churches, donating canned goods to the food bank, praying for your neighbors in times of need and doing nice things to help out the community.

Archived