MMA General Discussion Thread

Ernez

I don't know how intimidating Georges can sound with his accent. That being said, I'll definitely watch it.

On another note, for Brian Bowles fans. He's returning at UFC 160 vs. George Roop. The fight will be on the prelims, which kinda sucks because it definitely should be higher up. It'd just be great to see Bowles fight again.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mitrione got suspended for some pretty disgusting comments.

After telling another joke, host Ariel Helwani asked Mitrione, "Why do you hate Fallon Fox so much, and why do you keep calling she a 'he'?"

"Because she's not a he. He's a he," he said. "He's chromosomally a man. He had a gender change, not a sex change. He's still a man. He was a man for 31 years. Thirty-one years. That's a couple years younger than I am. He's a man. Six years of taking performance de-hancing drugs, you think is going to change all that? That's ridiculous.

"That is a lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak," he continued. "And I mean that. Because you lied on your license to beat up women. That's disgusting. You should be embarrassed yourself. And the fact that Florida licensed him because California licensed him or whoever the hell did it, it's an embarrassment to us as fighters, as a sport, and we all should protest that. The woman that's fighting him, props to you. I hope you beat his ass, and I hope he gets blackballed and never fights again, because that's disgusting and I'm appalled by that."

Not for nothing...but Mitrione is sorta right. Not in the way he said it but Fox's body is still a man and by logic men are just ment to physically be more dominant over women. Im cool with you being transgender but just get out of the fight game.

EDIT: Im going to say i agree with what Joe Rogan said more. More appropriate.

It's a touchy subject. A single team of doctors' opinion shouldn't determine whether she should compete or not. Sure, Fox's hormone levels may be that of a woman's, but other factors should be considered.

Fallon Fox was a man for 26 years of her life. By that stage, a man is just that in more ways than just hormonally. Bone structure is the biggest point of debate here. Fox has the bone structure of a man. Her bone structure is more rigid, and stronger than those of her fellow competitors. For that reason, she would hit harder and be able to take more damage. Technically speaking, this gives her an advantage over her fellow competitors. For this reason, I personally think she shouldn't compete in a major women's MMA division. It would create social and moral controversy should she end up competing for a major championship. I think that it's fine for now, but MMA companies and commissions need to cooperate and create transgender MMA divisions in the interest of fairness.

They should follow the IOC's rules and tell their fighters to stop talking about it.

There's no reason for her to get out of the fight game. That's discrimination.

Rogan should probably have been fired for what he said, but it's UFC so I'm not surprised nothing was made of it.

If a male fighter had more 'rigid and stronger' bones than average compared to his weight class would you want them not fighting those people?

If it amounts to something, Ronda Rousey talked about this by saying that Fallon Fox can "chop off his pecker" and still would have a competitive advantage over women. So yeah. The face of women's MMA doesn't think it's fair for Fallon Fox to fight women which brings me to a question: what to do with Fallon Fox, then?

Why should it matter what Rousey thinks? If you or any fighters are worried about some sort of competitive edge then why aren't people asking for every fighter to be tested or looked at to see if they also have this 'competitive advantage'?

Rogan should probably have been fired for what he said, but it's UFC so I'm not surprised nothing was made of it.

He should have been fired for trying to look at this situation logically, and being as respectful as possible? What the hell is that? People can't have dissenting opinions anymore?

The way I see it, this isn't even a civil rights issue yet. This is about fairness. We've already come to the conclusion that it isn't fair for men and women to compete against each other in MMA. Here's the question we should be asking: is hormonal therapy enough to offset the physical advantages a fighter who was born and lived 26 years as a man has over a female fighter. I don't really know, but I certainly have my doubts.

I think that it's fine for now, but MMA companies and commissions need to cooperate and create transgender MMA divisions in the interest of fairness.

There's not enough transgender fighters for something like that to make sense. As far as we know, Fallon is the only one.

He should have been fired for trying to look at this situation logically, and being as respectful as possible?

He was trying to be as respectful as possible by saying stuff like:

She calls herself a woman but... I tend to disagree.

That's a man, OK? You can't have... that's... I don't care if you don't have a dick any more...

she's got a f***ing man's face.

you want to be a woman in the bedroom and you know you want to play house and all of that other s*** and you feel like you have, your body is really a woman's body trapped inside a man's frame and so you got a operation, that's all good in the hood.

You're a man without a dick.

At least he clarified he doesn't discriminate against women though.

Guess we won't see Josh Rosenthal ref a fight for a while, if at all. He just pleaded guilty to manufacturing marijuana with intent to distribute. He was growing something like 6 million dollars worth of pot. It's a damn shame because he is currently one of the best MMA refs.

• 3 weeks later...

They're on ESPN (UK version) which is a subscription based channel and the main show starts at 3am. I doubt you'd be able to find anywhere that has it on due to the time. Maybe if you're in a hotel they'll have the channel.

They're on ESPN (UK version) which is a subscription based channel and the main show starts at 3am. I doubt you'd be able to find anywhere that has it on due to the time. Maybe if you're in a hotel they'll have the channel.

Thanks. I'll be in a hotel with cable TV. Sounds like I'll be able to watch it, if I can keep myself awake.

Archived