MMA General Discussion Thread

Ernez

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main event on Saturday was a ton of fun to watch. Wish it was 5 rounds.

Yeah. I loved it.

And I hated reading all the comments online about it being boring or underwhelming.

Like...what the *Censored* were people watching? Not the same fight I saw. :lol: Guess there wasn't enough dick-swinging, disrespect, or blood for some "fans". One of my favorite fights in a while.

So...that went about as I expected. MVP got clowned, and basically got exposed for what he is. Fight could have gone either way...and that's pretty telling in itself. Story of the fight was Daley trying to stay out of the range of Page's long limbs...but if he pushed a little harder, he could have taken it. MVP is probably the biggest example of "all flash, no substance" that I've ever seen. And it's especially funny that some of the same people who talk shit about McGregor can sit there and praise MVP...because McGregor is definitely a more rounded athlete in every sense.

• 1 month later...

MMA is severely lacking in young talents these days...and it's not for a lack of talented athletes (I know it isn't). But, for real...I'm tired of the only MMA news being about dudes who are past their primes. It hurts the entire industry to force "big names" into the spotlight just to make money. A guy like Josh Barnett ain't worth shit in 2019. And it's not just him. It's...all of it. It's the Bellator tournaments with a bunch of washed up has-beens, it's UFC ignoring their rankings to reward whoever they want...it's all of it. There are great young fighters on every side of the globe, I just wish we could start seeing them where they belong. We're getting lower quality fights, and paying more for it with shit like Fight Pass and ESPN+

I started watching stuff like Sumo and Muai Thai just for a palette cleanser...for something "real".

Think Zuffa selling to WME was the writing on the wall that the promotion peaked, Joe Silva quickly saw the writing on the wall that the company wants fights with exciting feuds and not logical matches due to rankings and that was the end of quality build up of younger talent. Now they just thrust young and exciting talent towards stardom and they lose a fight quickly and fall back down the card to never recover.

• 1 month later...

From the look of that dude, someones moms basement.

Nah...a beef plant, actually. :lol:

And he's not as hopeless looking as the last guy. Here's a better picture of his overall size:

oYJ5G0P.jpg

Anyway...this is how someone should break into MMA.

Whether these people are below Jack or not, he's doing it the right way. Only difference is, a major company like Bellator is willing to book this, rather than a random indy fed (which would be the normal way of coming up). Props on Jack for grinding through the nobodies before he tries to pick a fight with even the bottom tier of somebodies. I really have to assume that he'll have an opponent with at least something of a name or image after this fight. There'd be no reason for him not to.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't like Cerrone (for political reasons)...so, I was happy to see him get demolished. I kinda feel like he blew his nose intentionally, to try to get the fight inked down as a no-contest. He even asked them to review the final punch at the buzzer because he said he got punched in the eye. Yeah...the buzzer punch was a shame...but, no one ever thought he got punched in the eye. I think he knew he was done, and he thought he could get the fight thrown out by making his eye look like shit. A calculated risk that definitely didn't pay off.

Btw, what exactly are the rules for strikes at the buzzer/horn? Because, they always say "protect yourself at all times"...and I kinda feel like those strikes should have the exact window of the end of the horn. If the horn is still blowing, I think that should be legal...even if the punch was thrown when the horn was clearly heard.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All the mma media keeps reporting that Colby "dominated" Lawler...but that fight was honestly sketchy as *Censored* in my opinion. Lawler didn't appear to want a finish. There were entire rounds where he was showing the technical ability to shrug off everything Colby threw, and he never attempted to capitalize off any of it. Came off as very odd to me. I'm not even a conspiracy guy when it comes to fights...but I'm leaning towards a fix here.

• 2 months later...

Archived