MMA General Discussion Thread

Ernez

People say that Conor started all of this personal shit between himself and Khabib, but wasn't it Khabib who technically started it? Supposedly Khabib slapped one of Conor's teammates or something, and Conor took that personal in of itself in addition to the fact that he got stripped of the title.

Regardless, the post-fight brawl wasn't warranted no matter what was said before, during or after the fight.

And the fact that people don't like Conor because of him generally talking shit to his opponents is dumb as *Censored*. Combat sports is a game of mental warfare just as much as it is physical. Yes, maybe McGregor is a bit too vulgar and obnoxious in his approach, but he's done good by hyping up his fights and drawing in views and more dough that way - and no one else in the fight game does it better than he does.

The problem isn't his shit talking, the problem is he attacks peoples backgrounds. Was Khabib's family fighting? No so why does he bring them up.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People say that Conor started all of this personal shit between himself and Khabib, but wasn't it Khabib who technically started it? Supposedly Khabib slapped one of Conor's teammates or something, and Conor took that personal in of itself in addition to the fact that he got stripped of the title.

Regardless, the post-fight brawl wasn't warranted no matter what was said before, during or after the fight.

And the fact that people don't like Conor because of him generally talking shit to his opponents is dumb as *Censored*. Combat sports is a game of mental warfare just as much as it is physical. Yes, maybe McGregor is a bit too vulgar and obnoxious in his approach, but he's done good by hyping up his fights and drawing in views and more dough that way - and no one else in the fight game does it better than he does.

The problem isn't his shit talking, the problem is he attacks peoples backgrounds. Was Khabib's family fighting? No so why does he bring them up.

Talking shit about someones family is like street fighting level insults that starts as young as kids hit the playground.The games the game. If you can't take people talking shit about your background and family you're in the wrong proffession. They're prize fighting ffs.

So if its playground bullshit why are they bringing it to million dollar fights? Like three years ago UFC was talking about how they want to be better then boxing but promoting fights this way is trash and don't be upset when a dude gets pissed off and goes unhinged.

It's crazy that calling someone's father a coward and calling them a 'mad backwards *censored*' for not drinking due to their religion is passed off as goofing around and just part of the game. If it's meant to be a sport then the talking and buyrates should have nothing to do with it. Look at Lesnar for example - his last three fights were two losses and a NC due to testing positive, and now he's likely to have his first fight back for the championship. I'll admit it's entertaining, but that's cos I love wrestling and it reminds me of that. But at the same time, the fact that it does means MMA as a legitimate sport in UFC is a bit of a joke.

Khabib and Conor should've got the same (or similar) punishments for the post-fight and bus incident, respectively. But Conor obviously isn't gonna be retroactively punished and Khabib most likely will be for this; it's bullshit. And the argument that it's different cos McGregor didn't do it at a UFC event is a bit dumb considering he was. It wasn't at a PPV, so I do see the difference, but it's still pretty much the same, especially when you add a card had to be changed due to it, and he almost *censored*ing blinded someone. *Censored* people pressing charges, it's about what the UFC did - nothing. White is acting like his hands are tied due to the NSAC, which while probably true, is also pretty convenient. It'll be interesting to see what the UFC actually does with Khabib.

Oh and there's video of Conor throwing the first punch against one of Khabib's guys before the rest of the team came in. I'm not defending the guy that jumped in and sucker punched Conor, but yeah, Han shot first.

Khabib's dad had him wrestling a bear when he was 9 years old. That shit was abusive to the bear, and abusive to a 9 year old child. Now...I don't really give a shit about any of that, since it's not my place...but, McGregor is not wrong...that family is *censored*ed up. There's certainly no reason why Conor shouldn't be allowed to call out that culture for being *censored*ed up. I certainly don't support a weird old drunk chugging vodka and making his kid wrestle a bear.

McGregor is cocky, and Mcgregor is a prick. I get why people choose to dislike him. He came from a world of poverty and violence...and his ego went to his head now that he's wealthy and famous. But, I'd still support that mentality over the type of family values that we see from the Khabib side of things. I don't hold anything against Khabib himself. Which is why I think he was genuinely confused and saddened by the ending of 229. I think he's a victim here...his upbringing was pretty insane. But nothing Conor said was going too far. It was just the truth...

And we can see even more of those broken family values in the statements from Abdulmanap about punishing Khabib for what happened. The fact that he has that kind of relationship with his father...where he can be "punished" as a grown man (a champion)...it's telling. So, yeah...Conor read Khabib like a book, and he struck a nerve. Khabib wasn't even angry at Conor, he has angry at himself, IMO...which is why he snapped even after winning. If his anger stemmed from Conor, he would have been happy enough ending him and then celebrating.

I'm not trying to make it seem as if I condone Conor's shit-talking in this situation with Khabib. The little jab he pulled at the first press conference was a bit too much for my liking after I found out Khabib's religious beliefs. I was just speaking in general. People hate Conor SIMPLY because he shit-talking alone. It's like they don't like the trash-talk period - whether he makes it really personal or if he's simply trying to get under his opponent's skin and nothing more - and yes, there have been instances where he's kept it at that level without trying to bring up ethnics and beliefs. It's progressively gotten worse with each fight he's been in, and with the more accolades he's gotten as well.

A buddy of mine told me that he feels like Conor knew he was going to lose to Khabib (or at the very least knew he was going to be in for his toughest fight), which is why he decided to dig so deep with mind games this time around. I wouldn't doubt that to be the truth at all, tbh.

But like I said, the family trash-talk I didn't like from Conor, especially as an actual fan of the Khabib. Last time I remember someone digging deep with insults and getting their ass kicked was when Cohea pretty much referenced Ronda's dead father as a way to make fun of her. I couldn't wait for her to get put to sleep after that, especially considering that Ronda's dad committed suicide.

A buddy of mine told me that he feels like Conor knew he was going to lose to Khabib (or at the very least knew he was going to be in for his toughest fight), which is why he decided to dig so deep with mind games this time around. I wouldn't doubt that to be the truth at all, tbh.

I really feel like thats why he tried to attack Khabib before his last fight. Because if he won, that meant he would have to face Khabib to get his belt back so you try to attack him the night before his title fight to throw him off his game and hopefully he loses his fight and now you don't have to fight him for the belt.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

0wf4Hff.jpg

New belt indicates successful title defenses by changing the clear stones to red ones. That's an interesting concept. Up to 16 times, until the stones are all red. Of course, 16 successful title defenses is kind of unheard of. :lol: Anderson Silva had the most with 10...so, seeing that many red stones would really feel special, tbh.

Archived